• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: Animated Movie Chun-Li vs Vega, best game to movie scene ever?

Trojan X

Banned
This shot though...blew my mind at the time when you start seeing the little bits of electricity sparking off and then..
tumblr_n7l88tAird1sdhuzuo1_500.gif

supersfiiopryub.gif

I always loved that Super Street Fighter 2 introduction homage. Called it soon as I saw the preview footage on a video tape.

Castef

Banned
That is an excellent scene, really loved it.

I also loved Andy Bogard VS Lawrence Blood in the Fatal Fury movie. Excellent "combo". :)

That is an excellent scene, really loved it.

I also loved Andy Bogard VS Lawrence Blood in the Fatal Fury movie. Excellent "combo". :)

I saw both the SF2 Animated Movie and Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture when I was very young in the mid 90's. SF was a much more realistic take on the characters abilities. The hand to hand combat was pretty much standard kung fu movie stuff, no DBZ like abilities. It was interesting to see how they transitioned into special moves. Vega was wall diving off walls, Chun used the ground to do her SBK, both Fei and Ryu spun and used momentum to do the flame kick and tatsu. Even the fireballs took time to charge and release(most of them anyways), no way could you spam that in the world of the movie.

Then you had Fatal Fury, superhuman as fuck. Many of the characters displayed abilities far beyond those that we saw in the SF2 movie. But by the end you got Terry going SSJG defeating an actual god. I remember renting the VHS from blockbuster and kept rewinding back to the scene where Terry would do the Power Geyser and destroy the rooftop(it looked more like half of downtown though). Then I remember renting Fatal Fury Special and wanted to do the power geyser so badly but I had no idea how to lol.

I watched the original Japanese scene on youtube after seeing this thread and noticed that there is an extra butt shot when Chun is in the shower that was never in my "uncensored" Australian VHS copy from the 90's. The one I had in the 90's did show Chuns boobs too, so its strange that they omitted that first butt shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxzLQNS2Dfc

The music playing during the English version is much better though. The music in the Japanese one doesnt have convey any sense of urgency or danger, when Claw initiates the attack.

Every time this thread is bumped I expect to see a release date and every time I am disappointed.

Discotek panel at Otakon is tomorrow. SF2 will be discussed.

I watched the original Japanese scene on youtube after seeing this thread and noticed that there is an extra butt shot when Chun is in the shower that was never in my "uncensored" Australian VHS copy from the 90's. The one I had in the 90's did show Chuns boobs too, so its strange that they omitted that first butt shot.

The music playing during the English version is much better though. The music in the Japanese one doesnt have convey any sense of urgency or danger, when Claw initiates the attack.

Re: boobs/butt: the Unrated US release is almost identical to that UK release, actually, but outside of minor dialogue tweaks, the only change is the UK shot with the boobs swaps it for a butt in the US (rather, vice-versa since I believe the US version was released first). Naturally, both shots are in the uncut Japanese footage.

And I prefer the English version soundtrack myself.

Been years since I've seen this film. Do I recall seeing a flash of Chun-Li's boobs in that fight, or am I mis-remembering? Might see if it's available on BD here in the UK.

Been years since I've seen this film. Do I recall seeing a flash of Chun-Li's boobs in that fight, or am I mis-remembering? Might see if it's available on BD here in the UK.

It is, and you do. The Blu-ray is even more uncut than that, though. Although the UK Blu-ray uses different takes for some dub lines, so British who watched the old 15 tape to the point of memorization may feel like the dialogue was "censored".

Discotek panel at Otakon is tomorrow. SF2 will be discussed.

Re: boobs/butt: the Unrated US release is almost identical to that UK release, actually, but outside of minor dialogue tweaks, the only change is the UK shot with the boobs swaps it for a butt in the US (rather, vice-versa since I believe the US version was released first). Naturally, both shots are in the uncut Japanese footage.

And I prefer the English version soundtrack myself.

Ah, so the US got two butt shots and the UK/Aus got one boob and one butt shot instead? Interesting.

Ah, so the US got two butt shots and the UK/Aus got one boob and one butt shot instead? Interesting.

I don't remember if theres a second butt shot in question (the PG-13 cut was my jam) but there's definitely a switcheroo between the U.S. and UK versions. In any case, the Blu-rays all have uncut footage.

MANGOD

Banned
BISON! IM GONNA RIP YOUR FUCKING HEART OUT YOU BASTARD.
Not seen that film in years. Alice in chains blaring out Kens Porsche. Brilliant

I was going to say OP was wrong because it's just a good fight in general not any adaptation from what we experience in the game.

However, we see 3 things implemented very well, spinning bird kick, vega wall jump, and 100footkick thing. Pretty seamless with the "realistic style" it's trying to achieve.

petran79

Banned
Now I realize what a good director Gisaburou Sugii was.

Veteran animator since the 60s, yet captured the essence of a video game you'd expect he'd have no clue about.

He was also involved in features such as Jack and the Beanstalk, Touch and Night on the Galactic Railroad. Some did not expect he'd direct such a feature like SF2, but I think this has to be the best action video game to animated movie adaptation.

Aske

Oh man. This movie. This movie is something special and one could argue all of the big fights in it are contenders for best game-to-movie scene ever.

I BEGGED my Mum to let me grab a copy on VHS when I spotted it in Electronics Boutique as a kid. Took some convincing due to the age rating but she eventually gave in. What I saw when I watched it at home was a freaking game-changer for me and animation.

Movie still looks so great and absolutely sits up there as one of my favourite animated video game adaptations of all time.

Even as I grew older and sought out original language anime, it never (and has never) occurred to me to seek out the original Japanese version. The dub for me is perfect and I need to hear the cheesy lines and rockin' soundtrack exactly as I remember them.

Every time I rewatch I go in expecting the bubble to burst and my inexplicable hype for the movie to die, but as Trucker Bison comes truckin' in and the credits roll, I'm always left satisfied.

And yes, Guile is useless in this movie.

You and I have very similar stories. I had to convince my dad to buy it for me, but this turned out to be surprisingly easy: my parents were pretty strict on BBFC ratings, but SF2 was "just a cartoon", and this was either before the mild mainstream hysteria over adult anime, or the whole thing had passed under my parents' radar.

I was there on release day at Virgin Megastore, and got a huge free poster of the cover art. It's one of my earliest memories of getting hyped for something merely because it existed. I don't think I'd seen any trailers for it as this was all pre-internet, just advertisements in gaming magazines. I'd played more Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 2 Turbo on SNES than any other videogame. I loved the characters, I loved playing it solo on the hardest difficulty level, and I loved staying up all night at my friend's place playing endless versus matches because he had a TV in his room.

When I finally saw the movie, it was like a spiritual experience. It wasn't just good, it was this is the best movie that has ever been made or ever will be made good. I watched that VHS over and over.

And yes, as an adult, I also keep expecting the hype bubble to burst. It never does. If anything, I notice more ways in which the movie's awesome: the sublime 90s hand-drawn animation, the Easter eggs the animators snuck in for the fans, and the unintentional hilarity.

For years people have been hating on Ryu because he did a scrubby wake up DP. But what they should have realized is that you can't safe jump Ryu's 3f DP. Sagat had to find out the hard way.

This is solid gold.

The English dub in that scene cracks me up. I always lose it at "I'm just a Japanese guy taking in a fight...and Ryu is my name".

I'm afraid it's only the second best scene in that film though after the Chunners v Vega scene, if only because the latter grants us a privileged sight of Chunner the Stunners' quite aptly stunning and marvellously smackable bare bottom. OOFT!

The intent was to make the special moves seem like normal martial arts moves you would see in real life. Exaggerated, but raw. The fight scenes were choreographed by K-1 founder Kazuyoshi Ishii and professional fighter Andy Hug.

This is one of the many things, probably the major one, that stood out to me the most. At the time I had been practising kung-fu for a while, and I was blown away by how realistic the core of the fights was. Specifically, aside from the amazing, quick animation, raw power and realistic aftermath (both immediate effects in the fight and no magic recovery ten minutes after), the sound effects were very subdued and realistic compared to most other animated works or videogames (including, ironically, the original game).

My naive self back then extrapolated the movie, game changer as it seemed to me, to become the new standard, and become the first in many works of similar quality and realism. Little did I know that nothing, not even further Street Fighter movies and series, would ever reach or even try for half its greatness. :(

SkylineRKR

The best part of the movie, to me, might be the truck scene. I never saw that one coming. Why the fuck would he drive a truck, lol. He even blew the horn. Awesome scene. Used to think it was a hallucination or something, but apparently it wasn't.

I want this BR as well.

airjoca

We need news about am European release.

And rock ost is infinitely better, Japanese ost takes a lot of the tension out of the fights.

JLynn

Saw this on twitter, I do hope this makes it to the UK!

Simply delicious.

Do we know if it is region free yet? I fully expect to be disappointed, but hope is the last one to die.

But the bluray's been out in the UK for quite some time!

Oh, you mean the Discotek version?! I highly doubt it unless Manga UK/KAZE really wants to do a tricked out release three years after the original UK bluray's release. Buy yourself a code free bluray player, as Discotek always region locks.

Vespa

Oh, you mean the Discotek version?! I highly doubt it unless Manga UK/KAZE really wants to do a tricked out release three years after the original UK bluray's release. Buy yourself a code free bluray player, as Discotek always region locks.

I'll import if it doesn't come out here. I've seen Manga put out multiple editions for some films, so maybe they'll put this out? The UK's dub is censored and messes with the music :/

Scavenger

I'll import if it doesn't come out here. I've seen Manga put out multiple editions for some films, so maybe they'll put this out? The UK's dub is censored and messes with the music :/
It's not a Manga release, but a Kaze release. Manga handles the distribution for Kaze. Kaze is notorious for their lack of quality, so it's very unlikely they'll put out a new release.

bryanee

The UK blu-ray sucks. I'm certainly not buying a Blu-ray player not with the amount of stuff I already have under my TV. I'll just have to go with out, boooo.

I was already sold on this release, but it sounds like they put a hell of a lot of effort into this. A labor of love for sure.

Wonder if there's any chance of the Darkstalkers OVA getting a Blu Ray release next. The DVD just came out and SFII got a DVD rerelease first...

I finally found my Street Fighter II The Movie Perfect album (previously mentioned in this thread) and remembered this storyboard from the Balrog/Chun-Li fight

Open it up in a new window to get a better look.

They had at some point planned to have Balrog's Izuna Drop in the fight but they cut it out.

When they story boarded the fight Chun-Li was wearing shorts and her shirt was tucked in.

I bought Street Fighter II on the OG Xbox partially, because this movie was on the disc.

Chun Li in bra and panties fighting Vega was pretty great.

Pretty funny that the clip in the OP got taken down on You Tube, but the whole movie is up now.

Boke1879

The best part of the movie, to me, might be the truck scene. I never saw that one coming. Why the fuck would he drive a truck, lol. He even blew the horn. Awesome scene. Used to think it was a hallucination or something, but apparently it wasn't.

I want this BR as well.

The end of the movie? That shit was wild lmaoo.

But yea I want this Blu Ray.

Aske

I finally found my Street Fighter II The Movie Perfect album (previously mentioned in this thread) and remembered this storyboard from the Balrog/Chun-Li fight

Open it up in a new window to get a better look.

They had at some point planned to have Balrog's Izuna Drop in the fight but they cut it out.

When they story boarded the fight Chun-Li was wearing shorts and her shirt was tucked in.

That's so awesome. I guess the director pointed out that no one would tuck their shirt into their shorts in a realistic post-shower, pre-bedtime scenario.

I love the surreal Blanka/Zangief fight story-boarded on the same page. The movie does such a great job at helping the audience emphasize with Balrog in this scene, so we can develop a greater understanding of his character and deeper motivations. When I watch the fight, I find Zangief makes me absurdly angry for no clear reason too. I feel like if he were to point at me from the stage, my only recourse would be to flex my pecs right out of my fancy tuxedo in apoplectic rage; and then have no response at all when Blanka all but murders him seconds later.

WWMBD? It's the only question worth asking when a couple of plucky shotos ruin your plan to conquer the world by turning street fighters into terrorists using mind control.

nilbog21

Banned
Na, unfortunately the fact that she is half naked and there's pantie shots all over the place takes away from it. There's just too much teenage fanboy cringe to enjoy the fight. The only truely magical part is when she drop kicks his face into the wall at the end. God damn.

My fav scene is the opening scene between Ryu and Sagat. Everything about it, the introduction, the setting, the animation, the mood, Sagat's fucking face, the MUSIC, etc etc. For me, nothing even comes close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtRG2PyydJQ

Top Bottom