• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study finds Reddit’s controversial ban of its most toxic subreddits actually worked

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/11/s...of-its-most-toxic-subreddits-actually-worked/

It seems like just the other day that Reddit finally banned a handful of its most hateful and deplorable subreddits, including r/coontown and r/fatpeoplehate. The move was, at the time, derided by some as pointless, akin to shooing criminals away from one neighborhood only to trouble another. But a new study shows that, for Reddit at least, it has had lasting positive effects.

The policing of hate speech online has become a flash point for many a flame war, these past few months especially, as white nationalists, neo-nazis and others with abhorrent but strictly speaking quite legal viewpoints struggle with being banned repeatedly from the internet’s biggest platforms.

The practice has led sites like StormFront to seek shelter at dismal ports like off-brand hosts and small social networks pitching their tolerance of certain types of free speech being “censored” by others. It’s an example of one of the objections made to the idea of banning troublesome users or communities: they’ll just go elsewhere, so why bother?

Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology took this question seriously, as until someone actually investigates whether such bans are helpful, harmful or some mix thereof, it’s all speculation. So they took a major corpus of Reddit data (compiled by PushShift.io) and examined exactly what happened to the hate speech and purveyors thereof, with the two aforementioned subreddits as case studies.

All in all, the researchers conclude, the ban was quite effective at what it set out to do:

For the definition of “work” framed by our research questions, the ban worked for Reddit. It succeeded at both a user level and a community level. Through the banning of subreddits which engaged in racism and fat-shaming, Reddit was able to reduce the prevalence of such behavior on the site.

Of course, it’s not so simple as all that. Naturally, many of the users who previously spewed racial slurs at CT just moved over to Gab or Voat, where their behavior is proudly fostered. But the point of the bans at Reddit wasn’t to eliminate racism; it was to discourage it on the platform. To that end, it accomplished its goal (I’ve asked Reddit what it thinks of the study and its conclusions). And similar strategies may work for other platforms.

LXkZUhv.gif

I hope Reddit can get on the other sections soon

Mindwipe

Yeah, I think this study has some pretty problematic limits, and the moving of the goalposts from "working" to "displaced to other sites" isn't that useful. It also tells us nothing about if such displacement would still happen if displacement wasn't so easy, and about the changing nature of the message to t_d.

Essentially, it's far, far too complicated an issue to be easily reducible to a quantitative study.

Auctopus

Don't forget /r/cringeanarchy - started after /r/cringe and /r/cringepics banned users for doxxing people in videos/pictures, targeting feminists etc.

Now the /r/cringeanarchy is pretty much an alt-right/gamergate haven that consistently makes it on to the Reddit 'Popular' feed.

Yeah, I think this study has some pretty problematic limits, and the moving of the goalposts from "working" to "displaced to other sites" isn't that useful. It also tells us nothing about if such displacement would still happen if displacement wasn't so easy, and about the changing nature of the message to t_d.

Essentially, it's far, far too complicated an issue to be easily reducible to a quantitative study.

The question of how to to combat racism and hatred at large is one that is really too much for a major platform like Reddit or even Google or Facebook. The best they can hope to do is strike at it when and where it appears. But as ineffective as that might seem, it worked for Reddit and it may work elsewhere: bigotry is easy and those who cherish it are lazy. Make it difficult and many people may find it more trouble than it’s worth to harass, shame, and otherwise abuse online those different from themselves

I'm willing to go with it just to see trolls/bigots discouraged

While I could see Twitter possibly taking actions to ban/silence certain groups, there is like a 0% chance of Trump getting banned.

True. It is highly unlikely. But it would be amazing. I don't think Trump would be able to emotionally recover. He would probably resign from the presidency right then and there.

Oppo

it's not "problematic"; what you speak of is just out of scope.

the study wasn't "did reddit solve abuse on the internet".

i agree that t_d is a big problem but it's more akin to Fox News or other echo chambers.

bengraven

they just moved to different sub Reddit's with different themes. Set of being open about their hatred they just simply make it about mocking someone's weight on HoldMyFries or how ridiculous someone sounds on Black twitter.

see5harp

I use reddit all of the time to check out cute puppy pics and music festivals. I don't know why people talk about it like it's some toxic waste dump. Why the fuck would you even go into those subreddits to begin with? The majority of threads I see here are just reposts of the old ass reddit threads.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Reddit needs to ban a fuckton of other subreddits too. There's way too much completely insane hateful shit in there that just gets a pass because blah blah free speech or some shit.

Top Bottom