• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Official Co-Op Gameplay - “No Matter the Cost” ( Game releases on 05-26-23)

Gambit2483

I love the Arkham games; I've played through them countless times. If they released a new one of those every few years that was just a derivative but well-made copy (maybe one time it's Nightwing in Bludhaven, then it's Green Arrow in Star City the one after that, whatever), I'd buy it up.

SS: KTJL looks like utter shit. You took one of the best developers in the business and somehow made them spend 8 years making something that looks simultaneously exactly like and worse than the Marvel Avengers game that they are turning off after just a few years. We can guess what happened, I think (idiotic, greedy upper managers dictated what kind of game they'd make), but it's still incredibly frustrating. The trailer was just telling us we'd be grinding for hours just to shoot the same glowing spots on the same tanks over and over again. GTFO with this stuff and bring back good single-play, story-driven games.

(I know there are still companies making what I want, I'm just pissed right now!)

Enemies that are big and slow with big glowing weak points are some of the laziest gaming design ever.

It works in high frenetic single player action games like Lost Planet but in multiplayer focused games like this it just seems lazy as fuck. This really is just Avengers 2.0 but without the more defined character traits.

Last edited:

Neff

I had doubts, but I was still keeping an eye on this because it's Rocksteady (whose Arkham games were in-fucking-credible) and because the visuals in cutscenes looked fantastic. Now that we have 'in-depth' gameplay, it looks incredibly stale, conceptually and mechanically. I'm actually shocked by how cynical and underwhelming it appears considering the age-long development time. The cringe is off the charts when it comes to the script/performances. It honestly looks no different from the free-to-play shit I avoid like the plague. My interest in a purchase is gone.

I may reconsider skipping if the review scores unexpectedly skyrocket, but as things are they really managed to talk me out of this one.

The whole reason DC's Batman world was perfect for Rocksteady game was the unique solitary/gothic/noir/Batman-the-Animated-Series tone

The whole reason DC's Batman world was perfect for Rocksteady was because they nailed ripping off Metal Gear and Metroid to complement Batman's propensity for stealth and use of his gadget arsenal to peel back the layers of the explorable world around him, and they absolutely killed it on both fronts with impeccable level design and mechanics. I don't see any of that good design here. Just generic, open, featureless arenas conducive to hopping around with your XP-grinding pals.

b5YmqzL.jpg

This makes my soul hurt.

Last edited:

Neolombax

GaaS games need to have an addictive progression system or gameplay loop. This game while I think it looks fun and fast paced, the loot doesn't seem to be great (even legendary gear have very tame effects, nothing creative). The loot system in this game reminds me so much of the one they had in Gotham Knights, which was not very good. At least changing gear and weapons in this game will have visual changes, unlike Marvel Avengers. Even that game had its following until the impending end, so maybe this game will have its own too.

Needlecrash

This....wasn't what I expected. Shoot some arena bad guys while killing the Corrupted Justice League. Such a travesty. How did Rocksteady go from Batman: Arkham Asylum/City/Knight to this??? And a GAAS model and online forced connection for solo play? No wonder the founders left the studio.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think the story behind this game is going to be very similar to the story behind Crystal Dynamics and The Avengers. With the same results.

Last edited:

Salz01

It also bugs me that Wonder Woman doesn’t even look like WW. She looks like a totally different character. Everything about this game is so odd. I mean it makes Arkham Knights look better.

Surprised at just how underwhelming this latest showing was. PS3 era visuals (outside of cutscenes), multiple frame rate drops, uninspired world that just looks like Crackdown and the news that it's indeed a GaaS/requires always online. Hope it goes the way of Marvel's Avengers, might try it if it ever comes to PS+ though doubtful, didn't bother when Avengers did. The Arkham games were so good, Rocksteady chose to spend years developing *this*? Shame.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

People like to hate on these things, but I don't think the trailer looked that bad. I'm a sucker for a superhero game and the gameplay itself looked better than Gotham Knights to me, at least it has good speed to it from what they've shown.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Weird how they went from the absolute gorgeous (especially at the time) Arkham games to just..... "meh".

It seriously looks like they took the Guardians of the Galaxy game and changed out the environments and character models. Everything else basically looks the same.

SRTtoZ

What's the deal with the game being 3 months away and not being able to pre-order? Weird, no? I feel like another delay is coming.

Last edited:
It's more like suicide squad: kill this game. Rocksteady made three damn good Batman games back to back to back and then this is the trash they bring out? Hill and Walker knew it and that's why they left. It's a damn shame.

Gambit2483

I think the story behind this game is going to be very similar to the story behind Crystal Dynamics and The Avengers. With the same
Nah Avengers had actual single player focused levels and not always online. This is purely multi-player focused.

Last edited:
Not sure what I'm missing here that makes the general reception so poorly received? The animation work looks fantastic and it seems they've done a terrific job of making the movement & combat both fun and interesting.

I guess people really wanted a fifth Arkham game where it was just really more of the same? In any case I'll be all over this (unless it launches at 70EU which in that case I'll wait lol).

The gameplay and traversal looks really good....

..you guys are crackers...

Same.

Day 1 for me unless it has major issues. Based on this showcase.

xrnzaaas

I wouldn't believe you if you told me Rocksteady is behind this. It looks way less attractive than Gotham Knights and I wasn't really interested in playing that game either when I watched pre-release gameplays.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I got burned so badly with Marvel Avengers. I'd be hesitant to dive into this one until it gets proper reviews and exposure. It's a pity this wasn't a new DCUO instead. The choice of villains as well seems a bit dull. The important of powers from more famous heroes seemed kind of neat though.

Gojiira

Yeah the zipping and swinging around looks so out of place. Getting very strong Gotham Knights vibes from just about everything shown. Harley looks ugly as sin and King Shark just looks stupid, not a fan.

Dibils2k

man this just doesnt look good in anyway... it feels soulless, the shooting and feedback from hits look abysmal... why is there so much shooting!? visually its so bland, honestly think Avengers looks better than this and in that you had more differences between characters too.

i feel bad for the devs and i feel bad myself as a rocksteady fan that they wasted 7+ years on this trash

level1

When the mission they choose to showcase is basically "shoot shiny spot", you know the whole thing is going to be a big fucking pile of trash. Really shocked this is coming from rocksteady.

SRTtoZ

Honestly, if you are fucking dumb enough to buy into this shit in 2023, after every other GaaS game failure - especially The Avengers - then good luck to you, and your extremely smooth brain.

b5YmqzL.jpg

What the hell happened to Rocksteady? Did they get new leadership or something? The 3 Arkham games were fucking great and yea they started the season pass nonsense in the 3rd game with a bunch of useless skins and charged a fortune for it. I don't even know what the fuck Gotham Knights was. I know it wasn't Rocksteady but it's their brand and now we have this. Will I play it? Probably, since I really like their games but it seems like they have no idea how to transition from their normal Singleplayer games to GAAS games. In fact, there is no reason for these games to even be GAAS games. It's like Avengers by Square Enix. Just an awful awful, idea.

Arun1910

Pass... unfortunately.

It just looks like a better Arkham Knight, which isn't saying much.

Pretty "been there, done that" gameplay.

I'm shocked Rocksteady have gone this direction. They nailed the Batman games and to switch to this style of game... ugh.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Weird how they went from the absolute gorgeous (especially at the time) Arkham games to just..... "meh".

It seriously looks like they took the Guardians of the Galaxy game and changed out the environments and character models. Everything else basically looks the same.

I think you mean the Avengers game. GotG is nothing like this, it's a linear single player game.

VN1X

Banned
Honestly, if you are fucking dumb enough to buy into this shit in 2023, after every other GaaS game failure - especially The Avengers - then good luck to you, and your extremely smooth brain.

b5YmqzL.jpg
I get that you're doing the whole cynical gamer thing (and honestly, more power to you) but what exactly is the issue here? I know we all hate monetization, especially in premium games but do we know if their current plans involve anything other than cosmetic additions? I personally don't mind those and sometimes I'll even jump on Battle Pass Bandwagon to support the devs, especially if I grabbed the game on the cheap.

Again, I'm tired of obstructive and obtrusive monetization schemes in videogames as much as the next guy but so far all I've heard from the devs is "we'll have strong post launch support" which is basically what anyone could wish for no?

Last edited:
Top Bottom