• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Official Co-Op Gameplay - “No Matter the Cost” ( Game releases on 05-26-23)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I get that you're doing the whole cynical gamer thing (and honestly, more power to you) but what exactly is the issue here? I know we all hate monetization, especially in premium games but do we know if their current plans involve anything other than cosmetic additions? I personally don't mind those and sometimes I'll even jump on Battle Pass Bandwagon to support the devs, especially if I grabbed the game on the cheap.

Again, I'm tired of obstructive and obtrusive monetization schemes in videogames as much as the next guy but so far all I've heard from the devs is "we'll have strong post launch support" which is basically what anyone could wish for no?

All microtransaction and battle pass content is cosmetic only according to their FAQ. So that's the right way to do that at least, but it doesn't really make the actual game any more appealing.

VN1X

Banned
All microtransaction and battle pass content is cosmetic only according to their FAQ. So that's the right way to do that at least, but it doesn't really make the actual game any more appealing.
Fair enough.

Overall the entire reception to this game has been baffling to me but not exactly surprising as on the flipside one of the most popular games right now is Dark and Darker; which not only has a horrible title but also looks like it lifted the not-so-charming art style from TES: Oblivion in its entirety and slapped an even clunkier game on top of it. I just don't get it lol. Gamers will play the most unappealing and jankiest shit and call it GOTY but when a renowned developer dare to take an IP and try to put their own take on it it's lambasted for being too different from their previous work or that somehow "looter shooter mechanics are now bad". Right.

That said, I'm spoilt for choice when it comes to quality games to play and as such "videogames" have never been in a better state for me. I have my reservations about Suicide Squad but overall, and considering Rocksteady's pedigree, I am still cautiously optimistic. If it turns out shit then joke's on me and congrats to the haters I guess but I simply don't see the point of spending that amount of negative and vitriolic energy on an internet message board, especially for a game which we have yet to see the final release of, let alone to have played it.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
u6fqt716y1ka1.jpg

iu

I get that you're doing the whole cynical gamer thing (and honestly, more power to you) but what exactly is the issue here? I know we all hate monetization, especially in premium games but do we know if their current plans involve anything other than cosmetic additions? I personally don't mind those and sometimes I'll even jump on Battle Pass Bandwagon to support the devs, especially if I grabbed the game on the cheap.

Again, I'm tired of obstructive and obtrusive monetization schemes in videogames as much as the next guy but so far all I've heard from the devs is "we'll have strong post launch support" which is basically what anyone could wish for no?
You don’t get it: if you are really a cool hardcore gamer where pixels run through your veins than the only games you like are offline single player games. Anything else is trash!

But to be fair: the gameplay looked extremely shallow. Fire 100 rounds into purple stuff until it explodes and XP number pops up.

Shut0wen

Game reeks of dev hell, literally has the director of hitman blood money (best hitman game) with the under rated rocksteady and the game looks last gen, guessing the rumours of rocksteady not knowing if the game should be GAAS or just a coop game caused this

Fake

See, this reaction is exactly what I mean. Since when have RPG mechanics become something we look down upon? Is it only okay when Hidetaka Miyazaki does it?

What am I missing here? Call me naive or whatever but it's a genuine question.

You are mistaking RPG mechanics with RNG bonus from weapons.

Games like Elden Ring have fixed effects on their weapons. Grid gud.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You motherfuckers gave Wonder Woman pants?
Why dont people understand the moment you hide Wonder Womans thighs you are setting yourself up for failure.

the-matrix-miss-me-with-that-bullshit.gif

P.S
Not to sound negative, but Im so done seeing Debra Wilson in games.
Shes a good voice actress/actress and all, but can character designers please please actually design characters if they are gonna cast her.

The problem with this typ of games is that its not just a 70-80 Dollar game anymore. Its a 280-320 Dollar game because u need 3 other friends who are also wanting to play the game online.
f75.jpg

Thats not how that works.....thats not how anything works.

See, this reaction is exactly what I mean. Since when have RPG mechanics become something we look down upon? Is it only okay when Hidetaka Miyazaki does it?

Please elaborate on what RPG mechanics you're seeing here. I see item drops and changing numbers, which I don't think is the same thing at all. Have they shown anything involving an open world or quests? Dialogue options? Maybe I missed it; I don't follow the industry like I used to.

To be fair, I absolutely plan on getting Diablo 4. But I don't have any confidence that this game will be anything like "3d Diablo."

VN1X

Banned
You are mistaking RPG mechanics with RNG bonus from weapons.

Games like Elden Ring have fixed effects on their weapons. Grid gud.
Ehhh that's a very grey area. You can apply all sorts of buffs on weapons in the Souls games, level them up, etc. So basically it's okay when Gearbox does it but when you apply similar mechanics to a superhero title people hold their noses up? Weird.

I truly think that Gamers(tm) simply don't know what they want (me included obviously). Apex is a good example of this as when that came out people were already getting tired of the whole BR genre and its, seemingly limited, staying power. But along comes Respawn and shakes up the formula establishing a hugely successful title as a result. Now I'm not saying Rocksteady is doing the same thing with Suicide Squad (nor are they aiming for that) but I'm simply pointing out that audiences often times have such a poor grasp on what constitutes a quality title and are quick to immediatly disregard instead. Take Midnight Suns from Fireaxis for example, critically acclaimed and loved by the ones that gave it a go but scoffed at by general audiences (for mostly kneejerk reasoning I found).

Again, if the actual game ends up with all sorts of overbearing issues then joke's on me but I don't see how including looter shooter or RPG mechanics into a game (like this) causes this reaction from some or that it somehow constitutes as bad design by default.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I meant more that capable single player devs are forced by the management to produce trash GaaS games.

Oh...well in that case yeah, unfortunately it seems you are correct. This has the stench of corporate management greed all over it. That's probably why the two leads of Rocksteady jumped ship.

Sethbacca

Apparently I'm one of the few who thought this looked fun.... I mean, I want to read some reviews on the combat mechanics and such but I wanna play it.

nbkicker

Seriously all they had todo was bring another arkham game out and they would have been rolling around in the money, who the hell is deciding that all anyone wants is this type of game or 4 player coop, another game that gonna hit the bargin bin quick, even there like gotham knights dont think id be intrested

Interfectum

The problem is this looks like every GaaS game we've already played. We should expect better from developers like Rocksteady.

nbkicker

You motherfuckers gave Wonder Woman pants?
Why dont people understand the moment you hide Wonder Womans thighs you are setting yourself up for failure.

the-matrix-miss-me-with-that-bullshit.gif

P.S
Not to sound negative, but Im so done seeing Debra Wilson in games.
Shes a good voice actress/actress and all, but can character designers please please actually design characters if they are gonna cast her.

f75.jpg

Thats not how that works.....thats not how anything works.
This is what happens when all the woke shit goes round, studios get to worried to make females in games look to hot, and i new it was coming when rocksteady put out that all the females that work for rocksteady will get a say in how females in there games should look

Kurotri

I thought it looked good until they dropped the live service thing on me. My interest just plummeted after that. All I see now is another Marvel's Avengers that has an okay 10 hour campagin and then a shitty attempt to keep players in the game with updates that are just lacking in an attempt to get people off of Fortnite. I just don't understand why you would try your shot at another GaaS game when that market just can't be changed anymore. No one is going to stop playing their Fortnites and Apex Legends or Destiny that they poured in god knows how many hours just to jump ship to fucking Suicide Squad instead.

If this had been a full on single player campaign like their previous games or even Gotham Knights which I found decent I'd still be interested but wow, they just had to pull that card.

Gambit2483

I just realized there has only been one map we've seen of this game, Metropolis. Most openworld games have several unique "levels" or setpieces within the main game world. Spider-Man, Batman and even Avengers had multiple levels/locations/maps to play in. Surely Metropolis is not the only "level" in the entire game...??

TheUsual

Gold Member
The zipping around in the trailer looked cool, but that's about it. Only played the 1st Arkham game back in the day and loved it. Been fascinated with the development of this game. I hope we get a great post mortem on it whether the game succeeds or fails.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Looked like Crackdown ( a 16 year old game) but worse. I liked Crackdown and Crackdown 3 (the campaign) but this looks worse than Saint's Row.

This industry is fucked!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Really feeling like Rocksteady is nowhere near as good as they were when they made the first two Arkham games. Because if you showed me Arkham City and this side by side, I'd say they were made by two different studios and the Arkham one was way more talented.
Most of the talent back then are likely long gone....I two studio founders left in 2022 also.......

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I was pretty bullish on this game, but this new trailer looks underwhelming, particularly in terms of shooting mechanics. The traversal looks cool and this could totally be a new Sunset Overdrive if the weapons were fun and interesting, but unfortunately the gunplay itself looks pretty bad.

clarky

Gold Member
Looked ok i guess, any other developer and i wouldn't give it a second look but Rocksteady have earned the benefit of doubt. Judgement reserved.

Game reeks of dev hell, literally has the director of hitman blood money (best hitman game) with the under rated rocksteady and the game looks last gen, guessing the rumours of rocksteady not knowing if the game should be GAAS or just a coop game caused this
The AAA industry has gone through a lot in the past five years -

The explosion and then collapse of the ‘games as a service’ model meaning some of the games we’ve played in the past year, are currently playing or will play in the coming year were once GaaS titles but were changed mid development to be more single player orientated with co-op available as an option after the failure of AAA GaSS titles like Destiny 2, The Division 2, Anthem and Avengers.

The pandemic meaning most studios lost about a year of full throttle development time as they struggled to adapt to working from home.

The loss of a lot of talent to other entertainment industries like tv shows / movies or even new Asian super studios who’re willing to pay twice as much wages as western developers.

Essentially a soft launch of next gen consoles in the middle of the pandemic considering both console were supply constrained for their first two years due to chip shortages and Covid supply chain issues.

The above issues meant cross gen lasted longer than usual and many games were redesigned so they could run on last gen consoles to increase publishers potential return on investment.

Suicide Squad looks like a combination of all of the above with the bonus of a team making a type of game they’ve never made before.

Last edited:

Neff

The pandemic meaning most studios lost about a year of full throttle development time as they struggled to adapt to working from home.

It's closer to two years considering how incredibly disruptive the whole situation was. With the sheer amount of people AAA relies on and the amount of communication required, it made big budget development very, very difficult.

It also lets you download directly from Youtube?

No, that's for premium users. The plugin I mentioned lets you see the dislikes.

I don’t know what I was expecting but the more I find out about this game the more I dislike it. I think about what I would enjoy playing more... this co-op GaaS Suicide Squad x Justice League thing or a next-gen single player Batman game. I know which I would prefer as I’m getting a bit burned out with all these micro-transaction riddled GaaS games. They just aren’t very compelling at all.

I’ll wait to see more but I am a little disappointed all things considered as they have some amazing IP to work with and could have probably released 2 single player DC games in the time they have been working on this.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The footage is weird, it's hard to judge how it plays. The cutscenes and characters look awesome, but I suspect it needs some great review scores to get the hype going.

It's so weird to see all the characters swinging and flying around like Spider-Man. Almost like they took too many liberties.

But I trust Rockstar, and they usually have some really cool stories and characters.

This is my personal issue with this game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is probably gonna be one of those games with 4-5 different versions to buy. A $70 title with a battle pass, lmao.

Stuff about it reminds me of Crackdown, especially the shields they pick up after killing enemies.

YES! It was DC's version of Crackdown. And no, I'm good. DO NOT WANT!

I have a feeling this will be a title that is widely despised pre launch and then once people play it they’ll do a 180. Seems like there has been a bit of a bandwagon feel to the hate directed here. I can understand not liking it, but it doesn’t look bad.

Like Gotham Knights looked like it had issues. This here, this looks like a polished game. Guarantee people will be like, “this game looked like trash but man it plays great, I was so wrong.”

I mean I could be wrong, but perhaps I just don’t see the point in being so dang negative. The game is already made. It won’t change. It could be great, it could be bad. Let’s just see in a few months and make that call. Just tired of so much negativity in the gaming space.

Bragr

Banned
I have a feeling this will be a title that is widely despised pre launch and then once people play it they’ll do a 180.
I feel the same, people are simple and love to hate and have forgotten how good the Arkham trilogy was, it's arguably one of the best in video game history.

But I can understand some of the negativity, Suicide Squad is caught in a moment in time where people are sick and tired of superheroes and Marvel's Avengers and Gotham Knights have soured people's view on anything superhero and co-op.

The timing couldn't be worse, but you would imagine that not everyone on this forum would be so fucking arrogant and childish once they see something they question and immediately start to cry and bitch about it. Give it a shot, it's Rocksteady, these guys have been dealing with superheroes for over a decade and has always shown a high level of craftsmanship.

Top Bottom