• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

One thing I found that helped in the beginning is sticking to simpler patterns when grinding by hitting X and the reverse stick to change directions. Basically going back and forth on the same rail or cable. This gives you time to get used to traversing while shooting without worrying about switching things up a lot. Once you get to used to it you'll start to be able to pull off more sophisticated moves which you'll need since enemies will also start to attack your traversal paths.

This is good advice. I did something similar after I realised I was trying to do too much at once from the get go.

cantona222

I installed the game fully already. I've just finished a mission and I am about 2 hours in, and now the game tells me to wait for the game to install. I waited for about 45 minutes and nothing happened. What's going on?
wtFGGUm.jpg

l85S97x.jpg

lGUSPix.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Really enjoying the game, if a little overwhelmed still. Seems like there are so many things that need to be upgraded, it gets a little confusing. Is there a set of upgrades I should focus on first, and do the blue side missions just pay out money?

Ramenman

Really enjoying the game, if a little overwhelmed still. Seems like there are so many things that need to be upgraded, it gets a little confusing. Is there a set of upgrades I should focus on first, and do the blue side missions just pay out money?

You can see what blue missions will give you just from the map (hover over icon and press X).
Quite a good number of them give you specific customization items, which makes them individually worth playing even once you've purchased everything you wanted, so that's good.

Also, I don't think there is much to be upgraded. Just focus on buying new, fun weapons that you'd like to try, the rest will neatly fall into place as you play.

Weapons will upgrade themselves, and basically that means weapons get better with time. Aside from unlocking Amp Slot at level 2, there isn't much you need to pay attention to.

For amps, you'll get the most "important" ones through main story quests, so don't worry about them either. Then it's more a question of how much you want to mix & match amps and weapons to try out combinations.

Same for badges/overdrives. Some of them can be pretty potent so it's good to take a look at what you can afford every once in a while, but you'll get badges just by playing, so again no need to worry about / overthink it.

I think the cleverness in the character building of this game is that it's quite deep if you get into it, but you can also not give a crap about it and still enjoy the core game, just buying new weapons and getting better at the game yourself.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You can see what blue missions will give you just from the map (hover over icon and press X).
Quite a good number of them give you specific customization items, which makes them individually worth playing even once you've purchased everything you wanted, so that's good.

Also, I don't think there is much to be upgraded. Just focus on buying new, fun weapons that you'd like to try, the rest will neatly fall into place as you play.

Weapons will upgrade themselves, and basically that means weapons get better with time. Aside from unlocking Amp Slot at level 2, there isn't much you need to pay attention to.

For amps, you'll get the most "important" ones through main story quests, so don't worry about them either. Then it's more a question of how much you want to mix & match amps and weapons to try out combinations.

Same for badges/overdrives. Some of them can be pretty potent so it's good to take a look at what you can afford every once in a while, but you'll get badges just by playing, so again no need to worry about / overthink it.

I think the cleverness in the character building of this game is that it's quite deep if you get into it, but you can also not give a crap about it and still enjoy the core game, just buying new weapons and getting better at the game yourself.

Thanks, that answers all of my questions

Ramenman

HOLY SHIT the weapons that come with the Mooil Rig DLC !

Perfect !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EifQmC_xfEw

The fire fx looks so gorgeous in this game so it's great to have a weapon that will shove them in your (their) face. Plus, I love the way it looks.

Also, the other gun looks similar to the tesla weapons from the PS3 Ratchet games, and it was already awesome there, and will be awesomer here since you can stick the projectile on enemies (here again the fx is gorgeous, is it the same as stun rounds amp ? can't tell if it's a different one or if it's just the different time of day making it stand out more).

Edit : should that be in a new thread ? I suck at new threads. Hopefully someone makes one teehee.

Toppot

I just downloaded a patch for the game, about 1.5 GB. I am now unable to join Chaos Squad without it crashing =/

They have added easy access to Chaos Squad at the title screen and in the pause menu. I dunno about any other changes yet. Probably has some content for the upcoming DLC. None of the cool water moves yet.

Ramenman

I just downloaded a patch for the game, about 1.5 GB. I am now unable to join Chaos Squad without it crashing =/

They have added easy access to Chaos Squad at the title screen and in the pause menu. I dunno about any other changes yet. Probably has some content for the upcoming DLC. None of the cool water moves yet.

Yeah, currently downloading... kind of bummed my Xone didn't download it by itself, isn't that the point of sleep mode ? oh well.

Also, I'm gonna be very very sad if I'm actually downloading the next DLC as we speak but it's still unbuyable/unaccessible until December 23rd...

Even more so because I'm on holidays the 23rd and won't be able to play it until 29th ;_;

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I just went to the top of a high rise looking for a Samurai Sword. How far am I through the story?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yes, there are some matchmaking issues right now with those servers. it's being addressed as we speak. sorry for the inconvenience.

New achievements are out, the Chaos Squad one could be a bit of a pain to get but the rest seem normal

Chaos in the Mooil Rig 25
Survive Chaos Squad in the Mooil Rig with at least 2000 Chaos.

Beat the Dev 25
Beat any player's score in Chaos Squad who has the 'Beat the Dev' achievement.

Lost and Found 20
Find Bryllcream... again.

Crude Oil 30
Arrive at the Mooil Rig.

Big Tobacco 20
Smoking causes lung cancer, heart disease, and instant death.

It's Full of Stars 20
Light fires big enough to see from space.

Seas the Day 20
Protect the boat from bombs, mortars, and OD'd.

Calamari 50
Defeat the DL-sea monster.

Big Break 20
Anybody can be a movie producer, because nobody knows what they do.

A Boy's Best Friend is his Mother 20
Build the "Feel the Burn" weapon for a guy who is stir-crazy... or just crazy.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Finished the game yesterday and was sad when I did -- always the sign of a good game. And good it was, with flashes of true brilliance. I hope it's not a one-off but a new IP for Microsoft, as I'd love to see what they could do with a sequel.

I'm also really impressed with Microsoft's decision to get Insomniac to make a game for them. Gives me hope for the future if the X1.

e90Mark

I always come back to this game.. Played this for awhile last night doing the side quests and just bought the season pass.Can't wait for the DLC.

RBK

Banned
Fargath marks the half way point; once you're done with them, you're in the final stretch, since Las Catrinas are pretty short in comparison.

Just hit that mission, so sounds good.

Probably go achievement hunting after the finishing the main story arc. Sure I missed a few gimmes.

With the game selling less than a half a mill in over a month, the PC version announcement shouldn't be too far off now! =)
The funny thing about port begging is that you can use any fact in your favor.

Game didn't sell well: They'll put it out on PC to make up for the lost sales.

Game did sell well: They'll put it on PC because it's a proven hit!

Sunset Overdrive: Insomniac owns the IP, it doesn't matter that they don't have a history of PC games.

Quantum Break: Even though MS owns the IP, Remedy always has their games on PC.

Etc.

just a few more sleeps before DLC
Can't wait.

I just noticed new items for purchase from Calista too. Buck national outfit is available for free and there are two new head accessories (monocle and bling glassess for 150k each), and a new piece of headwear (pimp hat 700k!!!!).

I was wondering what I was going to do with the almost 400k dollars I had...

EDIT: I'm assuming these were part of that big update a few days ago getting ready for the DLC?

Can't wait.

I just noticed new items for purchase from Calista too. Buck national outfit is available for free and there are two new head accessories (monocle and bling glassess for 150k each), and a new piece of headwear (pimp hat 700k!!!!).

I was wondering what I was going to do with the almost 400k dollars I had...

EDIT: I'm assuming these were part of that big update a few days ago getting ready for the DLC?

The buck outfit is what everyone voted on. It was a secondary gift to everyone.

The hats and glasses also came from the update, yes. I've been reading the thread and people said they had too much money, so I priced the pimp hat at 700k. Who's your economic god now.

Ramenman

The buck outfit is what everyone voted on. It was a secondary gift to everyone.

The hats and glasses also came from the update, yes. I've been reading the thread and people said they had too much money, so I priced the pimp hat at 700k. Who's your economic god now.

Haha, great :D

Markitron

I am starting Dragon Age on Thursday and really wanna finish this beforehand, can anyone give me a rough indication of how long the story is? Right now I am looking for Bryllcream and I just chased the train down the tracks. I plan on doing all of the side-missions if possible too.

e90Mark

I am starting Dragon Age on Thursday and really wanna finish this beforehand, can anyone give me a rough indication of how long the story is? Right now I am looking for Bryllcream and I just chased the train down the tracks. I plan on doing all of the side-missions if possible too.

Bryllcream is pretty far off from the end.

Markitron

Bryllcream is pretty far off from the end.

Yea, I know I'm not too far in, I wanna finish it in the next few days and am trying to figure out if I should blitz it or just wait and finish it later.

e90Mark

Yea, I know I'm not too far in, I wanna finish it in the next few days and am trying to figure out if I should blitz it or just wait and finish it later.

The story is pretty simple to remember. You could definitely blitz through the main line and hit the side quests later.

Depending on the time you have to hit the game with, you could finish the main story before Thursday.

Markitron

You're probably looking at a solid 24 hours going through all the quests and doing collectibles.

The story is pretty simple to remember. You could definitely blitz through the main line and hit the side quests later.

Depending on the time you have to hit the game with, you could finish the main story before Thursday.

Thanks

Joe

have a question about side quests, going to spoiler tag it all just in case...

i did all the side quests and saved "fizzco the secret ingredient" for last, the one where you have to shoot the shit off at the water treatment plant. well i beat, and my character said "i'll get you back....some day...." and that was it. now i have no quests at all on my map. is this normal?

I just completed the main campaign last night, fantastic game. As some people have already said defiantly one of my GOTYs. I loved the
ripping of NeoGaf at the fake ending.

Whats the best way to go about collecting all the collectables? I figured theres no way I can afford to buy all the maps with 80k Overcharge.

Scanna

So guys, is the DLC coming out tomorrow? Estimated time? I am so pumped but I only have three days to finish it before leaving for New Year's ^^

Markitron

I have a full set of weapons, but only 3 upgrades in total to go between them. Am I doing something wrong?

e90Mark

have a question about side quests, going to spoiler tag it all just in case...

i did all the side quests and saved "fizzco the secret ingredient" for last, the one where you have to shoot the shit off at the water treatment plant. well i beat, and my character said "i'll get you back....some day...." and that was it. now i have no quests at all on my map. is this normal?
Same, I just cleared the side quests last night. I guess we wait for Mooil Rig.
I just completed the main campaign last night, fantastic game. As some people have already said defiantly one of my GOTYs. I loved the
ripping of NeoGaf at the fake ending.

Whats the best way to go about collecting all the collectables? I figured theres no way I can afford to buy all the maps with 80k Overcharge.
Using a wiki from like IGN would save you all the overcharge to buy the rest of the weapons.
So guys, is the DLC coming out tomorrow? Estimated time? I am so pumped but I only have three days to finish it before leaving for New Year's ^^
Yeah, Mooil Rig is supposed to hit tomorrow. Not sure on the time.
I have a full set of weapons, but only 3 upgrades in total to go between them. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you saying you only have 3 amps to go between them?

Markitron

You buy amps with the collectibles. There's a yellow tube thing next to Floyd where you can buy upgrades.

Thanks, I was starting to worry. I must have missed that tutorial or something. The amps are only active when my style meter is up, are the overdrive upgrades permament buffs or do I need to keep the style up with them?

cantona222

I've just beat the game. I enjoyed it. Now I'll try to get few achievements before I fully switch to my 2nd game on XBone (Forza Horizon 2.)

Some of the jokes/references I like in the game:

Where is the start button. Is this a joke about windows 8?
the NeoGAF reference :p

Top Bottom