• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG Remake Announced - Coming November 17, 2023 | Nintendo Direct

Imtjnotu

ALL MY 90S KIDS REJOICE!

Fishing Hypeaf GIF by Karl's Bait & Tackle

Nautilus

Banned
Really hoping they add some content in to flesh the game out a bit. It’s not very long for a SNES jrpg, if I recall.

Also, it’s odd how they aren’t using the original’s subtitle. I almost wonder if the intention is to make iterative sequels after this one, like a reboot of Mario RPGs. To satisfy Paper Mario fans who’ve been starved for something good since 2005, and acknowledgement that the Mario & Luigi series is dead after Alphadream went under in 2019.
That's my hope as well. Its largely faithful, but greatly expanded in terms of content. For example, I don't remember that % in the left corner of the screen. Maybe they tweaked the combat system?

SCB3

Ugh, the timing! I was literally about to play through the original this month as it never came out in the UK and never had to the chance to play it

Might as well wait now

That's my hope as well. Its largely faithful, but greatly expanded in terms of content. For example, I don't remember that % in the left corner of the screen. Maybe they tweaked the combat system?

Hopefully the hallmark elements that make it “feel” like Mario RPG are left intact. The timing and movement, etc. Expanded scope would be amazing, too.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Really hoping they add some content in to flesh the game out a bit. It’s not very long for a SNES jrpg, if I recall.

Also, it’s odd how they aren’t using the original’s subtitle. I almost wonder if the intention is to make iterative sequels after this one, like a reboot of Mario RPGs. To satisfy Paper Mario fans who’ve been starved for something good since 2005, and acknowledgement that the Mario & Luigi series is dead after Alphadream went under in 2019.
I beat it in one Nighy, as a 10 year old. It's probably only about 10 hours or so.

It's a good game, but too short. I agree, I hope they flesh it out more.

Hope that's the case. You have a source?

At the end of the trailer it said Nintendo/ Square Enix. Not sure if that was referencing the original or not, maybe both?

I’m also assuming based on how Nintendo typically does games when they have a third-party work with their IP.

SCB3

At the end of the trailer it said Nintendo/ Square Enix. Not sure if that was referencing the original or not, maybe both?

I’m also assuming based on how Nintendo typically does games when they have a third-party work with their IP.
If I remember right some of the Characters are Square creations (I think Geno is for example) so that would explain it

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I need them to affirm that this will have a physical release. I mean, I'll buy it digitally if I have to, but I'd love a real copy of this game.

I need them to affirm that this will have a physical release. I mean, I'll buy it digitally if I have to, but I'd love a real copy of this game.

It’s their black Friday holiday game, it’s got a huge following, and it’s a Mario game. There is no question at all it will be physical release.

Jeez, every time I remember the Prince of Cloud my heart skips a beat.... Not sure Ill play since it seems a little too one to one for me... But I can't fail my day one Husbando.

jcorb

This honestly looks incredible. I would have NEVER believed this game would ever get a remake. I'm also thrilled they kept closer to the original designs (for the most part).

I'd probably say the Boss theme sounded less intense than I remember, and I do feel like I'd appreciate if Bowser were a bit closer to the original's 3D renders, but I'm absolutely pre-ordering the second it goes live.

I honestly just hope they might add some additional content. Maybe flesh out Yoshi's Isle a bit more, and make him a fully-playable addition to your party? Or honestly, maybe a "New Game+" mode would be cool, cranking up the difficulty.

Or actually, a "Luigi mode" could be super cool, like having a slightly remixed story where maybe Luigi is following Mario's adventure just slightly after? Generally following the same story, but characters referencing "you look an awful lot like that guy who just came through here".

That could be a lot of fun, and just playing around with slightly different abilities (ie. maybe Luigi is joined by Kamek and Yoshi, maybe even Booster and Dodo to round out it out?)

Like I said though, I'm pre-ordering either way! I honestly can't wait!

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Those sons of bitches. I've been able to resist buying a Switch for its entire existence, and Metroid Prime almost got me, but now I am pushed past the tipping point and will have to invest in one because I got to have this game in my life.

I just played the original for the first time on my Super NES Mini not that long ago, and I don't remember thinking anything needed improving. It was pretty perfect as it was.

Easily the best SM RPG game, glad to see it getting new life. Wonder if they will add anything.
That beetle shooting gameboy mini game better be in

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Is Super Mario RPG really that good or is it just nostalgia?
honestly for me it's the latter. The gameplay and overworld traversal feel outdated to what would come later on. The world and characters look really cool but i simply can't get over that.

When i enter a Mario RPG i expect unique gameplay concepts and fun ideas, Mario RPG just feels like a square RPG, but it has mario and a bit of platforming on the overworld.

Top Bottom