• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG Remake Announced - Coming November 17, 2023 | Nintendo Direct

Gambit2483

Is Super Mario RPG really that good or is it just nostalgia?

It has a fun interesting story (with some really heart warming moments)
A crazy colorful cast of characters
Tons of secrets
Lots of mini games
And a solid RPG battle mechanics (though keep in mind its from the SNES era).

It will play like a game from the 16bit era but that's not a bad thing at all unless you absolutely hate turn based RPGs

Edit: And that's not to say that they haven't added QOL elements, new content, etc. Also I fully expect the game look excellent and to be @ 1080p/60fps.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
timestamped

jIKytrr.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Rat Rage

To me, just from a visual standpoint, it looks OKAY. I can see how some people will like it, but I prefer the original's sprite graphics.

Anyway, for people not having access to the original and being okay with the 2D to 3D transition, this should be fun.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I can see how some people will like it, but I prefer the original's sprite graphics.
the thing i don't get is like... what's the difference?
it's virtually the same artstyle, but translated to 3D. They even kept the old, choppy SNES style animations for maximum charm, instead of reanimating them to be in full 3D.

Blueghost

Neo Member
Day one of course but I’m not sold on the art style, the original had a very unique look to it and this remake looks like the new super Mario series but dwarfed, I guess there’s consistency…

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Damn that is looking really good and I don't normally buy switch games day one but with this and Mario Wonder or whatever that stupid name is, I'm back on board and the switch will now be removed from the door that it keeps from shutting.

zweifuss

I loved this game back when it came out, this looks great! I hope they add some QOL elements to it, I remember jumping around in an isometric environment on the DPAD was murder, they'll have to fix that. Also would be nice to have the original on Switch Online as a simultaneous release, or an option to switch to original graphics/music, but that may be a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Brock2621

Day one. This game is incredible, even by today's standards it's beyond enjoyable.

(My evidence is I'm 40 and my kids are 8 and 10 and this is one they will still sit down and play for fun when every new release is sitting next to it)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
it’s odd how they aren’t using the original’s subtitle.
They, too, must have been sick of seeing people write “Super Mario RPG: LEgeNd oF tHe SeVEn sTaRS” every time, like there were more than one of those games.

The game looks ace. Now you can actually make out what some sprites were supposed to represent, unlike that low-rez mid-90s prerendered thingies that looked nothing like they should.

Billy Awesomo

Neo Member
Cannot wait for this, (Also curious to see how they’ll handle Princes Peach’s “????” In this version or if it’ll be in it at all…) lol

zweifuss

Day one. This game is incredible, even by today's standards it's beyond enjoyable.

(My evidence is I'm 40 and my kids are 8 and 10 and this is one they will still sit down and play for fun when every new release is sitting next to it)
I am 43 and my kid turns 9, and he loves to listen to the Mario RPG music and watch me play the game on my Classic, this is an instant buy for me as well. I wonder if my second part of the ESTORE Voucher will work for this title? I used the first one to buy Zelda TOTK.

Trilobit

I prefer remakes that stay more true to the original. This game is a classic and should not be twisted into a version far removed from its essence. I approve, however the style seems very generic, they could have given it SOME unique character. Music is excellent as well.

Nintendo, the cowards! They should have ripped off this beautiful artstyle instead:

JgRN2qI.jpg

HKiyQv2.png

ilaAc9l.png

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I'm happy I never played the SNES version, at the time I was never interested and I've played so many RPGs on SNES. I become interested because so many talked so fondly about it.

Hardensoul

I'm happy about this, I never played the SNES version. At the time I was never interested and I've played so many RPGs on SNES. I become interested because so many talked so fondly about it.

N30RYU

The chibi look doesn't look well to me in this remake... is offputting they should have gone a different style instea dof make a copy paste from recent games and make them shorter... the Rabbid models would fit better

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I remember getting stuck on the purple Yoshi fight until I borrowed my friend Japanese snes controller and finally beat him. It could have been dumb luck, but I like to think that Japanese controller gave me a little extra juice.

I look forward to playing the remaster.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I remember getting stuck on the purple Yoshi fight until I borrowed my friend Japanese snes controller and finally beat him. It could have been dumb luck, but I like to think that Japanese controller gave me a little extra juice.
I remember getting one of these:

57_f60c9d37-30e9-4c57-aaca-8b9533756a90_1024x.jpg

Flip button to turbo, hold down button, win!

Pejo

Looks really good but that was one of the worst edited trailers I've seen from a big company in a long time.

I'll be picking the game up day 1 regardless. Haven't played the original in like 20 years.

Nintendo, the cowards! They should have ripped off this beautiful artstyle instead:

JgRN2qI.jpg

HKiyQv2.png

ilaAc9l.png
hey man thats the boxart! Anyway yea I dont mind keeping it similar like I said, but a remake ought to translate old style into new, considering the technology allows more than sprite based graphics, which had a certain charm. As of right now, it looks like an AI rendering created this remake!

Trilobit

hey man thats the boxart! Anyway yea I dont mind keeping it similar like I said, but a remake ought to translate old style into new, considering the technology allows more than sprite based graphics, which had a certain charm. As of right now, it looks like an AI rendering created this remake!

I get you, I always wished Donkey Kong Country Returns would have looked more like this:

5fa4h7t.jpg

Than what we got:

wG8mLf1.jpg

There is a clear lack of understanding for what kind of style and vibe the originals went for.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
That's what they said about that billion dollar movie, too. It'll go hand in hand with the bluray of the movie.
That movie is trash though. People just worship it because there's no 2023 check boxes in the movie. ☠️

At least with this we know what we're getting.

Last edited:

Xellos

I thought this rumor would be bogus; would Nintendo really remake a 30 year old one-off Square collaboration that they pretty much replaced with Paper Mario? I guess they did! Also I'm happy that they went full remake instead of HD-2D, it looks fantastic.

I was hoping for thousand year door ;(

Is mario rpg as good?

It's great. If you imagine a half-way point between SNES-era Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger style RPG and Mario, this is it.

honestly for me it's the latter. The gameplay and overworld traversal feel outdated to what would come later on. The world and characters look really cool but i simply can't get over that.

When i enter a Mario RPG i expect unique gameplay concepts and fun ideas, Mario RPG just feels like a square RPG, but it has mario and a bit of platforming on the overworld.

My thoughts exactly. It's a great game, but it feels Square-RPG lite.

Paper Mario (and M&L) had much more of a unique identity.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I get you, I always wished Donkey Kong Country Returns would have looked more like this:

5fa4h7t.jpg

Than what we got:

wG8mLf1.jpg

There is a clear lack of understanding for what kind of style and vibe the originals went for.
It is pretty amazing. I makes me wonder if they still had the 3D models from making the original.
I love that old concept art. I read an analysis of it a few years ago that argued that the source of its charm came from from technical limitations. They couldn’t do real time light sourcing so they really baked in the shadows which created a chiaroscuro effect, similar to Caravaggio for example.

Kijfo4i.jpg

Garnox

No joke, started playing this last night with my little girl. We got through the first hammer bros battle and now we will be waiting until November to play this. I'm stoked!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I like the artstyle. Mario looks cute. Reminds me of Link's Awakening for the Switch.

Top Bottom