• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taboo |OT| TV miniseries starring Tom Hardy, Tuesdays on FX / Saturdays on BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good episode but everything with the sister continues to be pretty gross. If the only point of that character is to be assaulted in various ways that's gonna be really shitty.

Well her holding that giant needle at the end is probably a sign that shits gonna get real soon.

but yeah, goddamn between the exorcism (WTF was that, that priest was more or less groping her right?) and her husband looking at the priest like "oh shit yeah, that worked! I'm so smart!" that was just crazy to watch. I have to imagine reality was probably even way shittier than what we saw, with women who seem to be having voodoo sex sent to asylums where their heads get drilled or they are tortured by the staff.

Show is 100% not what I was expecting, its super slow burn and set in London pretty much all the time, whereas I was expecting a crazy Monte Cristo story with a lot of flashbacks into Africa and America. I prefer my version of the show, but I hope this one starts building up faster and bigger soon.

kyser73

Tom Hardy walks around Regency London getting muddy boots, mumbling, killing & seeking a monopoly.

I'm really enjoying it.

I skipped the thread a bit, didn't see any comments on Mark Gatiss' Prince George. What a splendid portrait of the gross Prince! Combines the gluttony & seeming idiocy with a schemer's eye. Jason Watkins is great (again) as Soloman too.

I agree with whomever said being familiar with the period helps, too.

IronRinn

but yeah, goddamn between the exorcism (WTF was that, that priest was more or less groping her right?) and her husband looking at the priest like "oh shit yeah, that worked! I'm so smart!" that was just crazy to watch. I have to imagine reality was probably even way shittier than what we saw, with women who seem to be having voodoo sex sent to asylums where their heads get drilled or they are tortured by the staff.
On top of the fact that she has told James to leave her alone and instead he's performing magic rituals to invade her dreams? Yeah, I don't know, it's a little much. I think they are perhaps attempting to draw parallels between Zilpha's treatment and the treatment of James' mother, but right now it mostly just seems gratuitous.

I skipped the thread a bit, didn't see any comments on Mark Gatiss' Prince George. What a splendid portrait of the gross Prince! Combines the gluttony & seeming idiocy with a schemer's eye. Jason Watkins is great (again) as Soloman too.

I agree with whomever said being familiar with the period helps, too.
Yeah, the character is crazy but I know almost nothing at all about George IV (and what little I know of George III is from The Madness of King George).

Ydelnae

New episode starts in 2 minutes.

I'm actually curious about what will happen to Zilpha in this episode. My guess is:
  • She will ask Delaney to leave her alone (wouldn't be a Taboo episode if this didn't happen)
  • She will stand awkwardly in a crowd
  • She will be abused by her husband
  • She will turn away and look aside when Delaney tells her that they still love eachother.

kevin1025

Banned

I'm actually curious about what will happen to Zilpha in this episode. My guess is:
  • She will ask Delaney to leave her alone (wouldn't be a Taboo episode if this didn't happen)
  • She will turn away and look aside when Delaney tells her that they still love eachother.

I see no voodoo sex in this list!

welp

Something still feels just "off" about this show, like all these big giant players have to take small tiny steps to not crush James Delaney. The dude has more problems than JayZ but all are self inflicted and none seem to be actually exploited by his enemies, which also grows daily.

Great to watch but hard to understand or rationalize.

sirap

Loving the direction this show is heading. Delaney isn't the all-knowing, unstoppable voodoo man he's shown to be at the start of the series and shit is starting to spiral out of control.

"Theatricality and deception are powerful agents..."

This show kind of lost me around E.4 E.5 when I realized 18th century Bane is way too powerful and all knowing as a protagonist.

Also I am convinced Lorna Bow is a bad narration device, not a real character. And the show cast an actress who is too young and modern for the part. I like all the other casting, Robb's wife, horse manure eating Corky, silent shit stirring kid etc.

sirap

This show kind of lost me around E.4 E.5 when I realized 18th century Bane is way too powerful and all knowing as a protagonist.

Also I am convinced Lorna Bow is a bad narration device, not a real character. And the show cast an actress who is too young and modern for the part. I like all the other casting, Robb's wife, horse manure eating Corky, silent shit stirring kid etc.

He fucks things up pretty badly in EP06 and it looks like his shtick is finally biting him in the ass. Pure speculation on my part but it looks like his mental faculties are spiraling out of control too.
Ditto for Zilpha and it seems like the illness is hereditary.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Damn, definitely a moving episode. Didn't even realize we only have two episodes left.

kevin1025

Banned
Damn, definitely a moving episode. Didn't even realize we only have two episodes left.

We're definitely going to get a second season, it's doing great on BBC and really well on FX. Unless this is a miniseries in disguise... But yeah, two more episodes for this season, and waiting for Steven Knight and co. to come back (with more Peaky Blinders likely to come before then) is going to be an awful wait!

jett

D-Member
This show really doesn't want to leave England I guess.

The show is well-made but the plot is pretty uninteresting to be honest.

This show really doesn't want to leave England I guess.

The show is well-made but the plot is pretty uninteresting to be honest.

Agreed. Every week I think "Now they'll finally kick things into high gear" and then it's another slog to get through.

kevin1025

Banned
"You are wanted urgently downstairs. Mrs Delaney is destroying the kitchen, she's about to ruin a duck."

Now that's a perfect end to a scene, haha.

Lol, Thorn died as he lived: like a tool.

This show is weird though. Finally shit has started to go off the rails.

Lol, Godfrey just loves running to James' house when shit hits the fan

Well things are escalating rapidly. No half measures by anyone!

I really just don't understand how the British Empire got so big with people like King George in charge. I guess thats the point, he really wasn't in charge and it was people and corporations around him like the East India Company.

Fxp

I really just don't understand how the British Empire got so big with people like King George in charge. I guess thats the point, he really wasn't in charge and it was people and corporations around him like the East India Company.

Are there any good fiction/non-fiction books about East India Company/King George period in British history?

milanbaros

Member?

Are there any good fiction/non-fiction books about East India Company/King George period in British history?

You probably know this, but King George isn't in Taboo. The Prince Regent (later George IV - a deeply unpopular King) is in it but King George III is mentally incapacitated during Taboo.

Fxp

You probably know this, but King George isn't in Taboo. The Prince Regent (later George IV - a deeply unpopular King) is in it but King George III is mentally incapacitated during Taboo.

My bad, my knowledge of Britain's monarchs are very poor (not from UK myself).

I gotta read a history book, I didn't know this either. So the fat George we see on screen (played by the guy who is also Mycroft Holmes on Sherlock Holmes) is the prince regent, basically equivalent to Prince Charles in England today? Thats crazy!

kevin1025

Banned
Hardy wants 3 seasons of Taboo, but took a £2m hit on the first season.

Yep, Stephen Knight, the writer/co-creator, wants three seasons as well. Given how well it's doing on BBC (haven't seen the FX numbers since the pilot), I think we'll certainly get that.

For those that have been disappointed he hasn't made it to America yet, Knight said in an interview back in January that he plans on having Delaney's arrival on Nootka Sound be the end of the series. We're going to be in London for a good while yet.

Yep, Stephen Knight, the writer/co-creator, wants three seasons as well. Given how well it's doing on BBC (haven't seen the FX numbers since the pilot), I think we'll certainly get that.

For those that have been disappointed he hasn't made it to America yet, Knight said in an interview back in January that he plans on having Delaney's arrival on Nootka Sound be the end of the series. We're going to be in London for a good while yet.

Doesn't he need to make it to the colonies first?

milanbaros

Member?
I gotta read a history book, I didn't know this either. So the fat George we see on screen (played by the guy who is also Mycroft Holmes on Sherlock Holmes) is the prince regent, basically equivalent to Prince Charles in England today? Thats crazy!

Not quite. When George went mad and he was incapable of carrying out the Royal functions his son was made Prince Regent from Prince of Wales and carried out the Royal functions on behalf of his father. This was an official Act.

Charles is simply Prince of Wales.

IronRinn

Poor, poor Winter. Good riddance, Thorne.

The way this show sort of moves in fits and starts is starting to wear on me a bit, I think. I still like it but for me it has yet to fully deliver on its potential. I'm glad to see James finally take some hits but, man, there are two episodes left this season and it really doesn't feel like we've covered too much ground. It didn't feel like so much of an issue earlier on when the show was developing its major players but even that forward momentum has slowed to a crawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom