• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taboo |OT| TV miniseries starring Tom Hardy, Tuesdays on FX / Saturdays on BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How can we watch the show if we don't have access to BBC One? Will this be on Netflix or HBO GO?

It's on FX in the US. If you want to wait until the season has ended to binge it, Hulu will have the exclusive streaming rights to it, but I assume it won't go up until several months after the season has ended on FX.

That was decent enough to keep watching. I totally get the negative reviews though, since most critics watched three episodes in presumably rapid succession. I don't think I could take more than one of these a week.

That was actually a pretty strong pilot, definitely looking forward to the next episode. Although I'm hoping the reason for the show's title isn't about
incest

Kaizer

Banned
Really enjoyed the first episode, didn't feel slow to me - liked how the plot became more clear as the episode went on. No idea where they're going with this but I'm along for the ride, Tom Hardy is great in the main role.

I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. I can understand criticisms about the cultivated air of mystery, but I think that's more for the sake of mood, which I think is one of the better or more justifiable reasons for that.

Loved the first episode. I loved 1812 England, just had a grimy look and between the food, the streets, the people, the post mortem scene, etc I was immersed almost immediately. Its amazing also to think about how MASSIVE the difference between rich and everyone else was back then.

Can't wait for more episodes, on the one hand I sort of want to marathon through the entire season in one go because that will be amazing but on the other hand I want to watch now a new episode the second its available.

In my imagination this is the prequel to Mad Max, where James plays an immortal who is doomed to only thrive when humanity is at its worst.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That was really good. Does anyone do better with minamal dialogue then Tom hardy.
The guttural growls in the last scene may be some of the most riveting dialogue I've heard on tv in a while.

lol. I'm actually mostly serious.

That scene was great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
1.83 million viewers and a 0.6 A18-49 rating.

For comparison, People Vs. OJ earned 5.12 million and a 2.0; The Bastard Executioner got 2.11 million and a 0.8; Fargo season 2 premiered to 1.59 million and a 0.5; The Strain season 3 1.35 million 0.6; The Americans season 4 1.11 million 0.3; Tyrant season 3 1.04 million 0.3.

I'd say that's a pretty solid premiere rating, especially considering that it's a co-production.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Despite some hokey parts, I actually really enjoyed it. The acting was strong, production values very good; the atmosphere was great and there was more than enough intrigue to keep me coming back in the weeks to come.

Also, critics said there wasn't any humor, but I thought the episode was quite amusing. In a dry sort of way.

hydruxo

The guttural growls in the last scene may be some of the most riveting dialogue I've heard on tv in a while.

lol. I'm actually mostly serious.

That scene was great.

That really was a great scene, the best of the ep IMO. You could just feel the uneasiness in the room.

I think it is an implication for things like black magic

I think it applies to a lot of things. The 19th century was kind of all about German idealism and stuff, which followed from Kantian philosophy and made emphasis on rationally-evident norms recognized purely through autonomy/some self legislating activity. Basically, it simultaneously disrupted traditionalism/dogmatic morality and gave people the ability to regard normativity purely in terms of itself, while also being Protestant and bourgeois as fuck, thus the baffling paradox of how the enlightenment sired/legitimized imperialism and etc.

geestack

a decent premiere, tom hardy's keeping me interested. i'm imagining the flashing images of the slave ship have something to do with
cannibalism and having to survive the journey

A few highlights from today’s TCA panel:

- Onion A|V Club: Steven Knight says there will be a Taboo season two
But Knight also stated that Taboo is unique among British dramas because it examines society through commerce, and not class, touching on the American notion of bootstrapping. It’s easy to see how the story could go beyond James’ own class war, which is something Knight agrees with. The writer-producer tells The A.V. Club that, despite the limited series label, “there will be” a season two. Guess the haberdasher should get ready.
- Deadline: Tom Hardy Teases ‘Taboo’ Future, Talks Origins & Whether He Would Ever Direct
Hardy adds that Taboo is part of “a mythology”. Ultimately, his character Delaney will become a part of “a band of miscreants”, “a mercurial, molecular family” who ultimately make-up the story of America. Knight told Deadline’s Dominic Patten that the plan is to break three seasons of Taboo.

Mascot

This is right up my alley. Loved it.

I don't understand the complaints about slow development. I'd call it 'brooding menace'. The pace seemed spot-on to me, but then again I came to this straight after bingeing S1 & 2 of '...High Castle' where precisely 0.27 things happen per episode.

Looking forward to the rest of this and where it takes us.

Hjod

Banned
Second episode was really good, slow burning with great acting.

And fuck, Tom Hardy is a good looking gent.

obin_gam

I love the fact that they so obviously designed Hardys coat to float in the wind as much as possible when he walks <3

Qvoth

i dunno, i'm a big peaky blinders fan, and 2 episodes so far i'm only finding this kinda decent
wtzgU.gif

will definitely keep watching, but it just doesn't hold my interest as much as peaky blinders did
hopefully something big happens soon

sirap

Fucking hell. Just finished the first episode. No one in Hollywood does dangerous like Hardy.

That man can make a Bond joke and then chop your arms off without blinking. Phenomenal actor.

Carbonox

I preferred the first ep to the second tbh and the King made me laugh out loud also. That said, it was another solid episode and what a savage ending too. I love me some Oona.

Other than the final scene I didn't like the second episode at all. I don't feel like anything happening in the show is connecting with me in any way, and god damn Mark Gatiss looked ridiculously out of place as King George.

Blader

Gatiss can sure rock a fat suit.

I was a little turned off by the first episode, but I liked the second much more.

Gatiss can sure rock a fat suit.

I was a little turned off by the first episode, but I liked the second much more.

I had the opposite reaction, everything felt very mysterious and weird and spooky in the first episode but the second episode kinda feels like Tom Hardy's character doesn't really have a plan, he's just winging it and its going to turn out terrible. Need some flashbacks to Africa or North America or something, not really enjoying the actress wife eye rolling stuff either.

I do really enjoy Stephen Graham as Atticus, the grubby underworld guy that wants to write a novel or something? He played Al Capone on Boardwalk Empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom