• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taboo |OT| TV miniseries starring Tom Hardy, Tuesdays on FX / Saturdays on BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoying the mystery of what daleny will do next. Im all in.

Plus tom hardy bringing those intense moments with his acting is great.

And the
stabber at the end looked like winter. Are my eyes bad?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just watched the first episode, and uh... I'm not sure how to feel about Tom Hardy playing someone whose mother was allegedly an Aboriginal Canadian woman, especially when so much of the rest of the show seems critical of English colonialism... really not sure about the hints of real/imagined mysticism either.

That's a real big hang up that sours everything else. It's kinda gross :/

Wow mark gattis was almost unrecognizable. Hardy wears the hell out of that top hat.

The "widow" has to be a plant. Love the scene with the spy

Stasis

My gf can't understand Stephen Graham at all. I get most of it, but not all.

I'm American/French Canadian living in Quebec. She's French Canadian who learned English through me but can easily follow the Irish in Peaky Blinders, for example.

Still loving it!

Reminds me of my cousin's wedding in Wales. That's the last time I couldn't understand everything people were saying.

7aged

The series has a lot of suspense and atmosphere, but the incest overtones are getting offputting. I wish they'd stop with that.

milanbaros

Member?
The series has a lot of suspense and atmosphere, but the incest overtones are getting offputting. I wish they'd stop with that.

It is meant to be offputting. I wouldn't really watch a show called Taboo if I was offended by socially taboo subjects.

sirap

If you can't stomach incest you're better off skipping this show. It's called Taboo for a reason LOL.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
ep3 scene spoiler

the scene when they're discussing having a baby was so uncomfortable. The language used was so vicious it made me sit up a little bit and I normally don't care about that sort of thing.

mm04

My gf can't understand Stephen Graham at all. I get most of it, but not all.

I'm American/French Canadian living in Quebec. She's French Canadian who learned English through me but can easily follow the Irish in Peaky Blinders, for example.

Still loving it!

Reminds me of my cousin's wedding in Wales. That's the last time I couldn't understand everything people were saying.

I rarely turn subtitles on, but damn with some of those characters I'm like WTF he just say?

Ydelnae

I really have to catch up since I was unable to watch the second episode at the time. People have told me that the third episode is really good so I will try to watch it tomorrow.

The Accents are sometimes tough to understand but I can still follow along. Just finished episode 2. I like the slow burn, I'll keep watching.

Qvoth

i watch all my british and american tv shows with english subtitles :p
anyway i think i like episode 3 the most so far, hope it gets better from now on

I finally caught up on the first two episodes. I so love the design of Stephen Graham's Atticus character, with the compass tattoo. The set design and makeup as a whole as just amazing. We get constant closeup of these scar and pox riddled faces that add so much to the atmosphere.

Alpende

Really liked the episode. The ending was very good just like the last episode.

ep3 scene spoiler

the scene when they're discussing having a baby was so uncomfortable. The language used was so vicious it made me sit up a little bit and I normally don't care about that sort of thing.

Yeah, that guy is such a douche. The scene was great but uncomfortable as hell.

Yeah episode 3 was a bit of a slower one, you do kind of get the general plan James has though and it'll be interesting to see it take shape and the obstacles it will face.

The husband/wife scenes are extremely uncomfortable and creepy as fuck, but I really like the portrayal of it. Way too many historical shows nowadays gloss over how women were treated 100, 150 years ago. They were just barely a step up from property and the concept of disobeying your husband wouldn't even be something most people would understand. A wife's body literally belonged to her husband and that scene nailed that. It also makes the achievements of women of the past all the more remarkable. Also a good scene of how the nobility (the rapist Duke) were considered untouchable by the common man and how they viewed themselves.

I've never really been able to understand how Victorian England had such views on women but had little problem accepting and loving a queen as monarch. I know it took a long and bloody road to go from Henry the 8th to Queen Mary and then Victoria but still a fascinating period to me.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Tom Hardy's haircut still looks way too badass for the period.

His Scottish manservant is beginning to grate on me. Every single scene he's in with Hardy he dials "Exasperated" up to 10, like he can't believe what Hardy's doing at every single second.

mantidor

BYj8ijU.jpg

Not sure if this was on purpose or not but this screencap is 100% from Game of Thrones. :p

Klocker

Really digging the show but can't help seeing Ian McShane in Jonathon Price's role every scene and imagining him delivering those lines instead. haha

Really digging the show but can't help seeing Ian McShane in Jonathon Price's role every scene and imagining him delivering those lines instead. haha

Has Ian McShane ever done a british accent? As the CEO (equivalent) of the East India Company it woulda been weird to have an American running it :)

The American "doctor" (spy) is played by the guy who is the chief of staff on House of Cards, for those who don't recognize him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom