• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taito Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

Taito used to be awesome. why the fuck not.

logo.png

Chack N' Pop
chack_n_pop.png

Darius
darius.png

Darius Gaiden
darius_gaiden.png

Bubble Bobble
bubble_bobble.png

Gun Frontier
gun_frontier.png

Raimais
raimais.png

Ray Force
ray_force.png

Ray Storm
ray_storm.png

The NewZealand Story
the_newzealand_story.png

Volfied
volfied.png

Rastan Saga
rastan_saga.png

Elevator Action Returns
elevator_action_returns.png

G-Darius
g-darius.png

Metal Black
metal_black.png

Crime City
crime_city.png

Mizubaku Daibouken
mizubaku_daibouken.png

Puzzle Bobble
puzzle_bobble.png

Rainbow Islands
rainbow_islands.png

Operation Wolf
operation_wolf.png

Night Striker
night_striker.png

Arkanoid
arkanoid.png

Will add as I think of them or as they're pointed out.

Tain

The Taito Legends collections have their heart in the right place, but the emulation is often just too slow. And it's all ass-ugly stretched to boot.

Always been curious about the Memories discs, though. I heard they're different?

anyway, work time.

BiggNife

Bust-A-Move 2 (aka Bust-a-Move Again) was pretty awesome, with the branching paths in the campaign mode. After that the franchise got stale.

I'm surprised Bust-a-Move wasn't on the OP's list in the first place, maybe its considered "too mainstream" or something

Gagaman

NinMicroSega said:
Two of the best retro collections on a console anywhere (at least in terms of selection of games, many very rare on other consoles), especially the 2nd one with Elevator Action Returns, Darius Gaiden, Puchi Charat etc. How odd that Sega published the first one in the US.

BiggNife

andymcc said:
Mizubaku Daibouken! (Liquid Kids!)

add Cameltry for the lolz.

great thread. : )

Oh man I almost forgot Liquid Kids

Best bubble bobble spinoff ever (even better than New Zealand Story)

Liqu0000.png

Sordid

I used to love Operation Wolf on the Master System back in the day (was wowed by the lightgun when I was young :lol )

game-boi

So glad to see Elevator Action Returns up there, but can I request that the original be included in the OP as well? That business is iconic!

GhaleonQ

I'm pretty sure that I love The New Zealand Story and New Zealand Story Revolution far more than anyone should. It's my favorite Taito series, by far.

Platy

BiggNife said:

Liqu0000.png

....is that the first Platypus videogame protagonist ever ? =3

stuminus3

Why the heck did it take 21 posts for someone to mention Space Invaders? What's wrong with you, GAF? Freaking Space Invaders... :lol

I will always have as much of a place in my heart for classic arcade Taito, it's a shame they didn't have their fingers on the same pulse as Capcom or Konami back in the 16-bit home console boom, though they still had the Puzzle Bobble and Ray games, and a couple of amazing Darius games, to keep me loving them.

Modern day Squeenix Taito frustrate me. Occasionally great new IPs like Exit and continued rape of classic franchises. I couldn't stop myself from picking up Arkanoid DS after hearing that tune play in the demo, but it kind of sucks compared to the original. As for Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands... yikes. What I don't understand is how given the situation that Space Invaders Extreme 1 & 2 turned out to be the best games of all time. Of all time.

Hey, nobody mentioned Chase HQ either. Nancy would be pissed at you guys.

stuminus3

djtiesto said:
Best game from the '70's ever!
Considering it was made in 1980... :D

JasonMCG said:
I know so very few of those games. :(
I wouldn't worry about that too much, even back in the day Taito had a crapload of obscure arcade games, many of which featured bizarre Japanese names or at very least some cheesy Engrish, and many of them didn't get home console ports.

BiggNife said:

Liqu0000.png
Never really got into that one, although I did play the shit out of the Amiga port of Parasol Stars, i. e. the Bubble Bobble "Sequel" hardly anyone remembers.

33ufj12.png

Shaneus

It took FORTY posts to get someone to mention Arkanoid? No mention of Qix or Twin Cobra, AT ALL?!? Holy fuck. GAF... you're losing it.

stuminus3

magicalsoundshower said:
Never really got into that one, although I did play the shit out of the Amiga port of Parasol Stars, i. e. the Bubble Bobble "Sequel" hardly anyone remembers.
The PC-E/TG16 version of this is on my "most wanted on virtual console" list. I vaguely remember the ST/Amiga ports being reasonably popular in Europe, but either way, in 2010 no bugger usually remembers it.

Nasreddin said:
This thread made me order Legends for PS2.
Make sure to grab Legends 2, too. Some of the games are maybe a little more obscure, but it's got Elevator Action II, Puzzle Bobble 2, Darius Gaiden and G-Darius, Qix, Majestic 12, Liquid Kids, and a bunch more great stuff. And... Violence Fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom