• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taito Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

Still waiting on that "Project Psychic" (Psychic Force 3) that was announced for PS3 like...5 years ago. :lol

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Tain said:
The Taito Legends collections have their heart in the right place, but the emulation is often just too slow. And it's all ass-ugly stretched to boot.
You can set the aspect ratio...

Herbspicesoy said:
Ninja Warriors Again & Bust A Move were a few of my fav SNES games.

Based on a Taito property and published Taito but otherwise that's a Natsume game.

Also +points to Taito for their Rambo III arcade game.

rambo3arc-3.png
rambo3arc-5.png

Best Rambo game until Sega's 08 lightgun game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I love Newzealand Story :lol

Narag

Where's the Cadash up in this bitch?

Somewhat unrelated but I used to have such a weakness for sword & sorcery themed arcade games.

Black Tiger, Knights of the Round, D&D, Cadash, Rastan, and Crossed Swords used to gobble up my quarters as a lad.

Tain

BiggNife said:
I'm surprised Bust-a-Move wasn't on the OP's list in the first place, maybe its considered "too mainstream" or something

Nah, just slipped my mind.

zigg said:
Whaddya mean "used to"?

(2 as well, but I've made my point)

Honestly can't say that SIE is as good as a lot of Taito's best. It's severely toned down difficulty-wise versus other SI games and focuses on score over survival. I'm not a big fan of that.

Shaneus said:
It took FORTY posts to get someone to mention Arkanoid? No mention of Qix or Twin Cobra, AT ALL?!? Holy fuck. GAF... you're losing it.

Qix is great, Volfied is greater! Twin Cobra is a Toaplan game that Taito published, so it wasn't on the top choices list. Toaplan themselves might just be another thread.

Freshmaker said:
You can set the aspect ratio...

Yeah, but they could have included low resolution options. The blur caused by the mandatory upscaling is only a minor complaint compared to the constant slowdown in the more advanced games on the collection.

Unfortunate thing about Taito Legends 2 is that the PS2 version at least is actually based on the Taito Memories compilation. They use the same frontend and anything. So not only is Growl censored in JP as well as in the West but slow-motion Darius Gaiden(and stop-motion Lightbringer/Dungeon Magic) is in to boot.

Still a bargain though at 40 games for next to nothing.

Red Scarlet said:
Did anyone ever get past stage 2 on Operation Wolf?

I think I nearly 1CCed that game once...with a mouse. =/

Oh and my first one-life clear of an arcade game was the original Darius. Even did it on an original cabinet with the dual-screen setup. Shame the machine got destroyed by a hurricane(okay maybe not destroyed but so flooded with water it became useless).

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Tain said:
Honestly can't say that SIE is as good as a lot of Taito's best. It's severely toned down difficulty-wise versus other SI games and focuses on score over survival. I'm not a big fan of that.
I do, especially when it involves online leaderboards. Which SIE1+2 do! The Vs. mode is pretty neat too.

Not really a fan of how Square is treating them otherwise, though. Their XBLA games look really uninspired and their penchant for holding half the game back as DLC is really whack.

OP needs more Power Shovel and Plump Pop.

BTW I know how some people like to go on about the games as art junk.
I actually think Metal Black qualifies as a piece worth looking into.

Granted this is partly due to the amazing soundtrack(and even more amazing arranged work) but everything from the level design to the direction showcases an experience quite unlike most shooters out there.
Good song from the arrangement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klJBlgW4o2I
Another good song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ51KJVuUXw&feature=channel

Random awesome Taito-related thingie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez01Tpbstws

Platy

Bust a Move !
SUPER Bust a Move !

BEST GAME COVER EVER !

also .... sonic blastman on snes was very fun

Tain

Updated the OP, added a few games. No offense to your banners, oracrest, I just like scanlines!

I should probably, you know, talk about the games a little!

bubble_bobble.png

I remember playing the NES version of Bubble Bobble as a kid, but it wasn't until a year or so ago that I tried single credit clearing the original version of the game. It was actually my girlfriend's idea, after telling her that the game's best ending is only seen with two players.

It's a great game. The way you get extends was always tense, as we'd either be fighting over letters or being extra careful not to pop letters we already had so the other could collect them. So much to take in! Learning what all the items did, learning what stages we could get away with huge combo bonuses in, learning roughly where we'd see those god damned umbrellas, learning what areas were crossfire for Blubbas, learning how to ride our own bubbles up to useful areas, learning how to fire lighting in that one level that amounts to a lightning shooting gallery.

And yet, despite all that, we haven't beaten stage 32. We're scrubs. Maybe some day!

Also, that theme song and that bubble shooting animation. Unbeatable.

darius_gaiden.png

I think Darius Gaiden was my first arcade shooter 1cc. If you took the easy route, the game didn't offer much resistance. And always with the shields. The game just wouldn't stop giving you shields. The difficulty branches get much harder than this, of course, and the amount of enemy fire matches the amount of shields you get pretty damn well. Very flashy midbosses (especially with the whole capture thing going on) and bosses, and some really cool looking backgrounds if you dig around the stage tree. And you'll never forget the first level's music.

Definitely a game I'd like to explore more.

Shanoa

Banned
Elevator Action is a part of my childhood. Spent a lot of money on the arcades thanks to that game.

Data East Appreciation Thread plz :lol

Warrior Blade is actually my favorite of the Rastan games.
It's pretty simplistic even for a hack'n'slash but the widescreen effect looks way cool and slaughtering minions by the dozens without fooling with platforming is all good.

Night Striker is also hot stuff. It's more of a real Space Harrier sequel than whatever the fuck Sega calls Planet Harriers plus the soundtrack is freaking good.

Cadash is also on point. Character balance is kind of wack(Priest = God tier) but at the time there really wasn't anything out there like it.

Space Gun was an interesting twist on the lightgun genre. I think there was a pedal that the player could press to stop or move backwards or something. This could be used for evading attacks when gunning the big aliens down just wasn't fast enough.

Bubble Symphony and Bubble Memories are hot shit though Memories has sort of bad pacing in that in order to get the best possible scores you gotta stick everyone in a bubble and then encase those bubbled guys in a huge bubble. Got a bit tiring after awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom