• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tak 3 (DS) Trailer - 3D on the DS might be okay!

olimario

Banned
Tak 3 Movie
http://nintendods.gaming-universe.de/downloads/[GU]Tak3_trailer-juli.mov

Looks smooth and looks good. I still think Mario 64 DS looks a bit better, but this outdoes Rayman 2.

1635.jpg

:)

I've always wanted to play a Tak game. This one looks mighty impressive. I'm glad developers have finally managed to give us decent 3D on the DS.

Zeo

Banned
The people going DS SUCKS 4 3D IT WELL NVR BE GOOD are just being complete idiots.

When developers actually try, they can do something nice. I bet RE ends up being one of those.

Tony HoTT

Banned
This and Nanostray both use high resolution textures which really help the lack of any filtering look better. Still a little grainy but it's easy to live with to me.

etiolate

Banned
Society said:
The sounds are deplorable. For a system that has Band Brothers, this is unexceptable.

Yeah, I thought it may have been my headphones but some of those sound effects were ear-grating.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Zeo said:
The people going DS SUCKS 4 3D IT WELL NVR BE GOOD are just being complete idiots.

When developers actually try, they can do something nice. I bet RE ends up being one of those.

:lol come on Zeo name those people! as I said I'm prepared to eat crow and this game does look nice not mindblowing but at least it's not hard to look a it

Zeo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
:lol come on Zeo name those people! as I said I'm prepared to eat crow and this game does look nice not mindblowing but at least it's not hard to look a it

Yeah, I agree about this game. But come on, you don't think it's possible for developers to unlock much nicer stuff with DS?

Andy787

Banned
Zeo said:

I don't see what you guys are impressed with. This still looks like shit to me.

olimario

Banned
Andy787 said:
I don't see what you guys are impressed with. This still looks like shit to me.

Do you think Mario Kart DS looks like shit?
Do you think Mario 64 DS looks like shit?

If so, do you ever consider hardware and style?

Andy787

Banned
olimario said:
Do you think Mario Kart DS looks like shit?
Do you think Mario 64 DS looks like shit?

If so, do you ever consider hardware and style?
Yes.
Yes.

And yes and no. I consider style very much. The best looking 3D games on the DS to me are Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Lost in Blue, Feel the Magic, and Viewtiful Joe. All of which look better than Mario 64, Mario Kart, or Tak, imo.

That said, technically impressive is not the same as visually impressive. Driver 3 for the GBA is impressive for the GBA. But it still looks like shit. Splinter Cell or Tak or Mario 64 may be "impressive" for the DS. But they still look like shit. A system's technical ability shouldn't play into whether or not something looks good.

olimario

Banned
I think Mario 64s updated models and simple style look mighty impressive. I was never taken out of the experience by bad graphics like I was with Rayman DS.

And I prefer this to Lost in Blue
mario-kart-ds-20050515002458518.jpg

Andy787

Banned
Well, perhaps "shit" isn't being very fair to Mario 64 and Mario Kart, because their simple, solid geometry and solid color textures make them look passable, but stuff like Tak and Splinter Cell, and nearly every third party 3d title for the DS, seem to make it almost a priority to over detail the textures and create all kinds of terrible, early PSone-era polygonal models. I think the Jak & Daxter approach (regardless of how generic the game's actual art style was) to a 3d engine on the DS would produce much more impressive looking games.

Andy787 said:
Yes.
Yes.

And yes and no. I consider style very much. The best looking 3D games on the DS to me are Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Lost in Blue, Feel the Magic, and Viewtiful Joe. All of which look better than Mario 64, Mario Kart, or Tak, imo.

That said, technically impressive is not the same as visually impressive. Driver 3 for the GBA is impressive for the GBA. But it still looks like shit. Splinter Cell or Tak or Mario 64 may be "impressive" for the DS. But they still look like shit. A system's technical ability shouldn't play into whether or not something looks good.

Apparently you haven't actually seen Lost in Blue.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Why bother seriously debating with someone who has an obvious serious bias against everything involved with said product? Is it practice for when you conversate with those who are more sensible?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If you wanted great looking 3-D then you should have bought a PSP. Simple as that.

The nDS was really designed for other game types.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Old.

But it does seem to be a much longer version of the old footage. I think the 3D looks average/good, but the quality of the video really messed things up. You'd think it's the game but the compression in this video is terrible. Look at the bottom screen, it's all blurred.

Shaheed79 said:
Why bother seriously debating with someone who has an obvious serious bias against everything involved with said product? Is it practice for when you conversate with those who are more sensible?

i though i was the only one, noticing that....

cyberheater said:
If you wanted great looking 3-D then you should have bought a PSP. Simple as that.
Yea guys. It's silly to make threads appreciating what people are doing with the DS, buy a PSP. Hey wait! Ah forget it...

olimario said:
I think Mario 64s updated models and simple style look mighty impressive. I was never taken out of the experience by bad graphics like I was with Rayman DS.

And I prefer this to Lost in Blue
mario-kart-ds-20050515002458518.jpg
Something about Lost in Blue doesn't sit well with me. It's not so much the sharpness around the edges or the open spaces, the style is bland.
lost-in-blue-20050127022951514.jpg

lost-in-blue-20050127022949326.jpg

Bland bland bland.

Case in point: Tak 3 looks not-so-bad.

Ranger X

Please guys, teach me how to look at 3D graphics on my DS and think they look better than PS1. I'm open to any brainwashing.

Seriously, i hope the focus will still be on 2D games. So far i'm pleased with the line up coming up and there's enough 2D. I hope this won't change. Even if the screen is small it does not make it for me, it's hard to return at some PS1 games and the 3D on DS so far is just as hard to digest.

jarrod

Banned
Wyzdom said:
Please guys, teach me how to look at 3D graphics on my DS and think they look better than PS1. I'm open to any brainwashing.
Simple... just compare it to first year PSone games. Visual feasts like Tohshinden, Crime Crackers, Ridge Racer, Jumping Flash, King's Field, Cybersled, Air Combat, Kileak, Motor Toon GP, Space Griffon, etc.

Wyzdom said:
Even if the screen is small it does not make it for me, it's hard to return at some PS1 games and the 3D on DS so far is just as hard to digest.

Nobody is saying that these graphics are great by today's standards (especially as we are on the verge of next generation), but that they are pretty good for the DS's capabilities. And it is worth pointing out, as others have, that this is still first generation stuff we're seeing.

Unison

Simple... just compare it to first year PSone games. Visual feasts like Tohshinden, Crime Crackers, Ridge Racer, Jumping Flash, King's Field, Cybersled, Air Combat, Kileak, Motor Toon GP, Space Griffon, etc.

toshin3.jpg

cc1.jpg

ridge_racer__2.jpg

jumping2.jpg

k1b.jpg

cybersl1.jpg

acombat3.jpg

kileak3.jpg

motortoo_screen004.jpg

spacegriffon1.gif

Yikes... it's no wonder I held so dearly onto my Saturn. :lol

Zeo

Banned
bubsy3d_screen002.jpg

Musashi Wins! said:
Isn't Tak3 a platformer? Screw the graphics debate...those don't control well on DS anyway.

Jesus, you really don't get it do you?

"These don't control well on DS anyway." Yeah, all two of them.

I guess that means it never will.

Drinky Crow said:
Haha, "Nintendogs graphics".

Yeah, they look nice. What about them?

Mrbob

jarrod said:

So in 2007 the DS will produce 1997 PSone level visuals? Great.

Please stick to 2D DS developers. This looks so bad. But it looks better than Rayman DS. LIke that is some sort of great achievement! :lol

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Zeo said:
Jesus, you really don't get it do you?

"These don't control well on DS anyway." Yeah, all two of them.

I guess that means it never will.

What's not to get? That traditional 3d platformers don't control well on the the DS? Maybe you can review the exception on that Nintendo fansite.

I have a DS, I like it. But it's always bad when apeing games it's not made to handle. I'm basing my judgement on software that exists.

Zeo

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
What's not to get? That traditional 3d platformers don't control well on the the DS? Maybe you can review the exception on that Nintendo fansite.

I have a DS, I like it. But it's always bad when apeing games it's not made to handle. I'm basing my judgement on software that exists.

You're being very dumb. You're basing an entire lineup of future games based on the controls of two ports, one of which wasn't even a very good port overall.

You don't know that traditional 3D platformers will control bad on the DS for the next 3-4 years. Please stop thinking you know that for a fact.

And this is the second or third time you've brought up the fact that I write for a Nintendo site, like it has any meaning in the argument whatsoever. Why would you bring that up? Are you trying to say I'm a fanboy just because I write for a Nintendo site? Because if so, you're truly ignorant.

flsh

Banned
Looks dull to me.

And please stop laughing at the DS' graphical power :( some games look good (like VJ) so it must be the developers :p

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Zeo said:
And this is the second or third time you've brought up the fact that I write for a Nintendo site, like it has any meaning in the argument whatsoever. Why would you bring that up? Are you trying to say I'm a fanboy just because I write for a Nintendo site? Because if so, you're truly ignorant.

I think you're a fanboy based on your posts at gaf. I find your fansite affiliation as a supporting factor. That's only (I believe) the second time I've mentioned it. Everyone seems to be bringing up the bias of those who are suspect in this thread. Besides Drinky, which I think has made his...position...clear.

But let's make this clearer....I'm thinking this title has a lot to prove based on control issues inherent in the platform, and frankly the franchise. I don't think its less than PSP visuals should really be an issue. If you want to argue the wait and see method, ok I can accept that. But those are real issues based on what little we know of the platform now and not your rosy future predictions.

Zeo

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
I think you're a fanboy based on your posts at gaf. I find your fansite affiliation as a supporting factor. That's only (I believe) the second time I've mentioned it. Everyone seems to be bringing up the bias of those who are suspect in this thread. Besides Drinky, which I think has made his...position...clear.

But let's make this clearer....I'm thinking this title has a lot to prove based on control issues inherent in the platform, and frankly the franchise. I don't think its less than PSP visuals should really be an issue. If you want to argue the wait and see method, ok I can accept that. But those are real issues based on what little we know of the platform now and not your rosy future predictions.

Well, I can tell you right now. I am not a fanboy. That makes you wrong.

And I'm not giving "rosy" future predictions, I'm being logical. Saying "well uhhhh Rayman had crappy controls and Mario 64 was average means the DS SUCKS for 3D platforming controls~~" is just idiotic. Not to mention, Mario 64 wasn't that bad.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
So in 2007 the DS will produce 1997 PSone level visuals? Great.
Naw, DS is already at 1996 console level 3D more or less. Next year we'll start seeing stuff on level with 1997/1998 N64/PSone. ;)

Ruzbeh

Banned
Jacobi said:
The screenshot looked good, but the video...didn't. Mario 64 DS looks better than this.
The graphics are messed up thanks to the video compression.

You know, that's funny. Very often I always see really big fat video compression on footage of DS games, but never of any other games, not even GBA games. What gives?

Ranger X

AndoCalrissian said:
Nobody is saying that these graphics are great by today's standards (especially as we are on the verge of next generation), but that they are pretty good for the DS's capabilities. And it is worth pointing out, as others have, that this is still first generation stuff we're seeing.

Yeah but i somewhat don't care about that fact. I didn't like the first gameboy because it was even worse than the NES graphics.
PS1 / N64 / DS graphics were the basic quality for 3D graphics and it's hard to go back at it. PS2 / Xbox / Gamecube is something i will go back to without problem. The minimum quality of the 3D is good enough, it's mature enough.
I think the same about when graphics were 2D. Atari / Nes / Master is hard to go back. That was basic 2D. SNES / Genesis / Neo Geo i got no problem coming back, the 2D is mature enough.

Simply put, i'm deceived so far of the 3D capabilities of the DS and since it lacks power to do proper 3D, i hope they will still focus on 2D.

Top Bottom