• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tak 3 (DS) Trailer - 3D on the DS might be okay!

Mrbob

mario-kart-ds-20050515002501330.jpg

Ranger X

hmmm... Crash Team Racing looks better and i wouldn't be surprised it's also technically more demanding.

When there's as good looking 3D like Gex3 /Soul Reaver /Crash Bandicoot be sure to gimme a call Oli.

olimario

Banned
Wyzdom said:
hmmm... Crash Team Racing looks better and i wouldn't be surprised it's also technically more demanding.

When there's as good looking 3D like Gex3 /Soul Reaver /Crash Bandicoot be sure to gimme a call Oli.

Well, you think CTR looks better so I won't waste my time.

Ranger X

olimario said:
Well, you think CTR looks better so I won't waste my time.

But maybe i'm gonna miss on some nice 3D games! Please call me dude when it happens.

Seriously, did you play Crash Team Racing? There was nice graphic in there, you got like the worse screenshot to show the game lol

olimario

Banned
Wyzdom said:
But maybe i'm gonna miss on some nice 3D games! Please call me dude when it happens.

Seriously, did you play Crash Team Racing? There was nice graphic in there, you got like the worse screenshot to show the game lol

I took the best one I could find at Gamespot. You're blind if you think there is a PS platformer that looks better than Mario 64 DS.

Let's not fuckin' insult the Dreamcast, which ran at twice the resolution, had actual texture filtering and alpha support, and some order of magnitude greater polygon throughput.

Blow those Mario Kart screens up to the size of the CTR ones, and you'll see just how very PSOne the DS 3D is. The DS hardware (lack of) "feature" set is almost directly comparable to the PSOne's.

Ranger X

Soul Reaver used one of the best 3D engine on the PS1 and looked better than anything i've seen on DS so far. There was more textures and stuff on the screen on Soul Reaver and i'm pretty sure the poly count is also higher. Plug back your PS1 and rent Soul Reaver or something.

Ranger X

Rascals (while being a terrible game) is also anothe one that looks better than Mario64x4
Nobody seems to have nice screenshots by still, this one gives an idea:
rascal_screen002.jpg

Ruzbeh

Banned
Wyzdom said:
Soul Reaver used one of the best 3D engine on the PS1 and looked better than anything i've seen on DS so far. There was more textures and stuff on the screen on Soul Reaver and i'm pretty sure the poly count is also higher. Plug back your PS1 and rent Soul Reaver or something.
I checked some screens. It does look better than any DS game so far. But Soul Reaver is a very late game (1999) on the PS1, so the developers could really push the hardware. The DS hasn't even been out for a year now. So while you are correct, it is an unfair comparison.

Ranger X

Ruzbeh said:
I checked some screens. It does look better than any DS game so far. But Soul Reaver is a very late game (1999) on the PS1, so the developers could really push the hardware. The DS hasn't even been out for a year now. So while you are correct, it is an unfair comparison.

First gen PS1 didn't looked as good as some first gen DS indeed. Back then it wasn't as a big deal as today for me. It's just that i'm waiting for the DS to show me Soul Reaver and more to stop whinning. ;)

Mallrat83

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Let's not fuckin' insult the Dreamcast, which ran at twice the resolution, had actual texture filtering and alpha support, and some order of magnitude greater polygon throughput.

Blow those Mario Kart screens up to the size of the CTR ones, and you'll see just how very PSOne the DS 3D is. The DS hardware (lack of) "feature" set is almost directly comparable to the PSOne's.
But did the PS1 output to two different screens at once? NO!

I rest my case. I'm out people, be sure to tip your waitresses.

Zeo

Banned
Insertia said:
hah! Crash Team Racing looks multiple times better than MK DS.

cnikartgc1.jpg

cnikartgc3.jpg

Except that's not Crash Team Racing that you posted. That's the GameCube sequel, dumbass.

Insertia

Zeo said:
Except that's not Crash Team Racing that you posted. That's the GameCube sequel, dumbass.

shat, you're right. :lol I still stand by my statement that CTR looks multiple times better that MK DS.

Zeo

Banned
Insertia said:
shat, you're right. :lol I still stand by my statement that CTR looks multiple times better that MK DS.

Yeah uh, you already lost.

And if you ACTUALLY think

crashkart_screen010.jpg

looks MULTIPLE TIMES BETTER than

mario-kart-ds-20050515002458518.jpg

.. then I think you need some eyes. They don't look THAT different at all. But as an owner of CTR, I can almost definitely say that MK DS has better frame rate than CTR, judging by videos. CTR's frame rate is crap.

Ahh! Is that Crash Warped? One of the last PlayStation games I ever bought.
Does look great. Mario 64 is the better game though :p

Tak is running at a good clip - the one thing that annoys me about things like the Rayman release is bad framerate - but it's still Tak at the end of the day. I won't be buying it.

DS owners will still buy on recommendation. Be that from TV shows, magazines, message boards, or friends. It won't matter if the games are 3d or 2d. Whether they have a PSP or not. If it's one of the better games to get for their DS, they're gonna buy it.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Zeo said:
And actually, now that I've looked around a bit, Mario Kart DS is 60 fps.

<3333
E3 version was definetly around 60fps

akascream

Banned
Lol, talk about rose colored glasses. Did that guy really think the gamecube version was the psx version?

E3 version was definetly around 60fps

All I know is, if it is anywhere near 3-5fps, your ass is grass mr.

jett

D-Member
Himuro said:
More like early Dreamcast. It has nice capabilities.

:lol WHAT THE FUCK!? You realize that games like Sonic Adventure and Shenmue are "early Dreamcast". Please STFU.

Top Bottom