• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars official thread ~ Going across the border!

I pretty much only play this locally now. The online is horrendous. I had a match where my block was lagged out by two seconds, so basically I just stood there and got my ass kicked. I was shocked as shit when I landed anything on my opponent.

Boney

Banned
Hey guys, back from my trip, and ready to get into some fights.

Here's my friend code:

4340-4331-6382

South American in case anyone is wondering.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ookami-kun said:
There's now an ongoing issue to ban or not to ban giants.
It's not an issue. It's just some whiners. I doubt they will ever be banned in standard play.

I hate fighting them, as they're really boring and the experience stops feeling like a fighting game altogether, but they really shouldn't be banned. There's only 2 of them, they're not that popular, and neither one of them are going to be very viable competitively. Just suck it up and learn the matchups.

Doorman

...An issue among who? The TvC pro tournament crowd? Or do you just mean that general sentiment is sort of against them right now? I don't typically keep up with stuff like this but I didn't think that the giants were really considered overpowered or anything.

Unrelatedly, anybody have any tips so that my Casshern doesn't suck so much? I just really seem to struggle on finding a reliable offense with him lately...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yep, Gold Lightan goes from amazing to possible worst character in the game when you realize you can tech his command throws.

Sixfortyfive

Doorman said:
...An issue among who?
Justin Wong was blowing off some steam after a PTX user almost beat him in a tournament last weekend. He had to counterpick on the 3rd match and just barely won by time over. It was pretty funny to watch.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sixfortyfive said:
Justin Wong was blowing off some steam after a PTX user almost beat him in a tournament last weekend. He had to counterpick on the 3rd match and just barely won by time over. It was pretty funny to watch.

So does Justin Wong think that Ryu should be banned in SF4 because Daigo beat him using that character? :p

The giants are just annoying/boring to fight against. And I say this as an occasional Lightan user.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How many playthroughs did it take for you guys to unlock everything? I mean all characters and colors. I don't really care for the rest.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Kadey said:
How many playthroughs did it take for you guys to unlock everything? I mean all characters and colors. I don't really care for the rest.

IIRC 14 times to get all the characters. I still don't have all the color schemes yet; just bought them for the characters I tend to use most.

Teknoman

Doorman said:
...An issue among who? The TvC pro tournament crowd? Or do you just mean that general sentiment is sort of against them right now? I don't typically keep up with stuff like this but I didn't think that the giants were really considered overpowered or anything.

Unrelatedly, anybody have any tips so that my Casshern doesn't suck so much? I just really seem to struggle on finding a reliable offense with him lately...

Not a pro or anything, but make use of friender, the "backwards shoryuken motion" jet kick, and his air drill kick. Catch people switching in with a full charged electric grab (dont remember the actual names atm).

Doorman

Sixfortyfive said:
Oh yeah, I did catch the stream of that. But it does worry me a little if the opinion of one person, no matter how good he is in tournaments, is enough to cause legitimate discussion of tournament bannings. Poor him if the only thing he needs to do to win is make an easy counter-pick.

Rather, I had more fun listening to everybody groan when Wong ultimately did win. :lol

Insaniac

uh quick question is there anyway to "unchoose" a character selection or a game mode or do i really have to start the game and then go back to main menu?

Sixfortyfive

Insaniac said:
uh quick question is there anyway to "unchoose" a character selection or a game mode or do i really have to start the game and then go back to main menu?
I think you're stuck with them.

ReiGun

Doorman said:
A and C Friender are really good. A works as a nice anti-air/"surprise bitch!" move on jumpy opponents, and C is pretty good for applying pressure. Try doing C Friender , then while they're dealing with the flames, air dash behind them if they block. You can also combo (B?) Denko Punch off of forward + B and use that to go into an air combo. It also helps to have a projectile/stun assist of some kind (Ryu, Morrigan, Roll, etc.). Oh and if someone is crotch blocking, Cass's knee hits overhead.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Como necesito.

2mg1hn8.jpg

Lourio

What the fu... I can't even f**kin' block properly!

I am constantly getting put into air combos and the only way I can get out is by doing a mega crash. When I try to get close to my opponent to attack - same shit happens again. In no time, both my characters are dead.

Came oh soo close to throwing my arcade stick across the basement yesterday :lol

g0est

Patrick Roy said:
What the fu... I can't even f**kin' block properly!

I am constantly getting put into air combos and the only way I can get out is by doing a mega crash. When I try to get close to my opponent to attack - same shit happens again. In no time, both my characters are dead.

Came oh soo close to throwing my arcade stick across the basement yesterday :lol

Long combos are ESSENTIAL to mid level TvC play. You cannot miss opportunities to use long combos to deal damage or you will lose every match.

A few tips to help you beyond combo execution:

LEARN TO BLOCK. Being able to block everything you see is half the battle. All characters, with the exception of giants, in this game have great high/low mixups and the best characters have either special crossups (Tekkaman Blade, Polimar), or high priority/ ambigious air crossups (Tekkaman, Tekkaman Blade, Casshan w/ Friender etc...)

Don't Mega Crash every time you are caught in a long combo. It's usually best to do it either at the very beginning of a combo or when your character is near death. If you still have your partner, swap him in to recover your red life.

Use Advance Guard wisely. Always use Advance Guard when blocking Hyper Combos on the ground and never use it when "floating" on top of a beam Hyper (ie Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken, Frank West's The Real Mega Buster, or Tekkaman's Voltekka). In addition, a few opposing characters gain a better advantage than you off of being Advance Guard blocked as opposed to being blocked normally.

Learn other characters' most common blockstrings. Unlike most fighting games, most C normals and some B normals are unsafe on block, so watch out for them as that would be a perfect opportunity to counterattack.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Pretty big update for our guides this week -- http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/2/26/ipw-tatsunoko-vs-capcom-guide-update.html

g0est said:
LEARN TO BLOCK. Being able to block everything you see is half the battle. All characters, with the exception of giants, in this game have great high/low mixups and the best characters have either special crossups (Tekkaman Blade, Polimar), or high priority/ ambigious air crossups (Tekkaman, Tekkaman Blade, Casshan w/ Friender etc...)

Learn other characters' most common blockstrings. Unlike most fighting games, most C normals and some B normals are unsafe on block, so watch out for them as that would be a perfect opportunity to counterattack.

There are two really good tips. They may sound pretty basic but really you can get away with a lot just by blocking and countering unsafe moves in this game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You can counter that however by canceling the whiffed B or C with a safe special or even a launcher.

Haha, I'm also getting my ass kicked online exclusively ;-)

I really want to be good with Yatterman-2 and Joe the Condor but they seem like characters I won't be able to be good with anytime soon.

I seem to do allright with Saki generally, but only because I can't do any combos and tend to like her projectile based play.

I'm a forever n00b!!!

Forkball

I can't figure out Polimar. His level 3 hyper combo does incredible damage, but I can't pull off his Tenshin Polimar Drill. Like, I can't even activate it. I can activate his other level 1 HC, but it doesn't do anything.

I've unlocked all the characters and I'm really digging the game. Everyone is so unique, there isn't a single boring character.

Also, is there a list of what the alternate colors look like? I want to know which ones I should waste my money on.

Forkball said:
I can't figure out Polimar. His level 3 hyper combo does incredible damage, but I can't pull off his Tenshin Polimar Drill. Like, I can't even activate it. I can activate his other level 1 HC, but it doesn't do anything.

I've unlocked all the characters and I'm really digging the game. Everyone is so unique, there isn't a single boring character.

Also, is there a list of what the alternate colors look like? I want to know which ones I should waste my money on.

The timing on the drill super is fairly strict - you have to push the buttons in quick succession. Try to map L+M and M+H to buttons you're not using especially if you're playing with a pad instead of a stick. Or you can be a scrub like me and use it only as a VHC lol.

I don't know if there's a comprehensive costume list anywhere but if you play the credits mini-game, you'll have more than enough money to buy every costume.

EDIT: Somebody on GameFAQs linked to this SRK post

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Can someone tell me why Polimars damage fluctuates? I was practicing intermediate combos with him and I noticed that when I do
"High+Medium*Low+Medium*Standing+Hard*Launch*Light*Medium*Medium*jump*Medium*Hard", which scores 11 hits, while the damage varies between around 11,130 and 16,400. That's a difference of over 5,000 damage!

The fluctuation didn't seem quite random because I would get 11kB maybe 4 times in a row then I would get 16kB around 3 times in a row and so on. My question is what causes this damage fluctuation in the first place? This inconsistency makes it difficult to figure out which are the highest damaging combos.

Boss Doggie

Height damage. Higher in air = more damage. It's the reason why the training mode also has height scale at the background.

Sixfortyfive

The character on the receiving end of an attack also seems to get some kind of defense boost when at low health.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally, I like playing as and fighting the giants. They're a good mechanism to break up a series of fights and pull people out of rut, for me.

Sagitario

I asked this in the Arcade Stick thread but nobody answered, so I'll try here...

I got the TvsC stick last weekend... is the joystick supposedly to be a little loose?

Ookami-kun said:

Seems like he danced around the question by saying they're not unhappy with it's sales...but it's good to see they have the perspective not to expect a mega-blockbuster. He seems to hope for long legs but then admits that the hardcore fighting game fans have been the main driving force for its success so far. Guess we'll see. :/

Little Green Yoda said:
Seems like he danced around the question by saying they're not unhappy with it's sales...but it's good to see they have the perspective not to expect a mega-blockbuster. He seems to hope for long legs but then admits that the hardcore fighting game fans have been the main driving force for its success so far. Guess we'll see. :/
If I'm not mistaken, Marvel vs Capcom 2 sold similarly back when it was a psychical disc release, so I can see them being satisfied.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Ookami-kun said:
Height damage. Higher in air = more damage. It's the reason why the training mode also has height scale at the background.
See at first I thought that was it too but then I only did high/medium*low/medium standing on the ground and the same thing happens. The damage varies wildly between 3k and 5k.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Sixfortyfive said:
The character on the receiving end of an attack also seems to get some kind of defense boost when at low health.
This may be it but I'm pretty sure I tested this when the opponent was always at full health.

Boss Doggie

Also, note that some attacks will only produce weaker damage because the attack didn't make contact much with the fist, etc.

Threi

notag
getting better at this game, I'm actually holding my own against people who actually know that game and would kick my ass...

and then there are the wiimote zeros. I'm not one to call something "cheap" in a videogame but wiimote zeros are complete bullshit.

Top Bottom