• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars official thread ~ Going across the border!

Def Jukie said:
If anyone is interested in picking up an official stick or two for this game, check out your local Best Buy. I just picked one up on an impulse buy when I saw they were on clearance for $29.99.

Which sticks? The official ones?

I've been hesitant on spending $50+ on a stick for one game but $30 is awfully enticing...

Def Jukie

Little Green Yoda said:
Which sticks? The official ones?

I've been hesitant on spending $50+ on a stick for one game but $30 is awfully enticing...

Yeah, the official ones by Madcatz. I'm not sure if they are $29.99 everywhere as Best Buy's website still has them for $59.99 but it's worth stopping by your local store and checking.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it hilarious that some stuff that people believe to start in MvC3 actually started in TvC (advancing guard being used frequently, variable air raids, juggling assists, etc.)

Ookami-kun said:
I find it hilarious that some stuff that people believe to start in MvC3 actually started in TvC (advancing guard being used frequently, variable air raids, juggling assists, etc.)

Well you know the hardest of the hardcore big boys don't play Wii...

Boss Doggie

Which is kinda hilarious (and sad).

Ironically, this game is the very reason MvC3 exists, it seems.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ookami-kun said:
Which is kinda hilarious (and sad).

Ironically, this game is the very reason MvC3 exists, it seems.

I would so love a TvC Sequel for the Wii I doubt it will happen though :(

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I heard that it sold decently enough in the States, but it was pretty much dead in the water in Japan due to being a straight-to-console upgrade.

At any rate, is anyone here planning to play in the TvC side tournament at Season's Beatings? I am probably heading to Columbus just for that. It's not like I'm awesome at this game or anything, but I've never been to any kind of notable fighting game tourney and central Ohio is about as "local" as it gets for me when it comes to the big events. Should be fun.

Boss Doggie

Actually, TvC is still alive in Japan... as an arcade game. Console ports of arcade don't really do well there.

Ookami-kun said:
Actually, TvC is still alive in Japan... as an arcade game. Console ports of arcade don't really do well there.

CGoH though, right? UAS never got an arcade release even in Japan AFAIK. Which is unfortunate since it'd be cool to see some tourney vids from Nippon-land.

Sixfortyfive

Ookami-kun said:
I don't see how this contradicts my post at all.

Anyway, I thought I'd try out wi-fi again for kicks for the first time in months despite my memory of it being pretty awful, but then I ran a latency check and discovered that I'm currently getting 200-250 ms of lag before I even get out of my ISP's network.

I hate Comcast so fucking much.

Boss Doggie

Ah didn't mean to contradict it. Was supporting it in fact. XD

And yeah, it's the arcade version. Still, nice to see some weird shit.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
been getting back into this game a lot recently still a hell of a lot of fun, still getting my ass kicked online but not soo badly this time lol

Sixfortyfive

I looked into some homebrew apps yesterday and ended up making a custom soundtrack for TvC:

Title Screen: F-Zero AX - Wings for my Way
Main Menu: Street Fighter 4 Arcade - Mode Select
Stage Select: Virtual On Force - MSBS ver 7.5
Character Select: Virtua Fighter Saturn - Main Theme
Wasteland: Virtua Fighter Saturn - Jeffry
Yatterman's Workshop: Virtual On - In The Blue Sky (Segarock)
Washinkyo, Amehon: Streets of Rage - Fighting in the Street
Galactor Base: DBZ Super Butoden 2 - Vegeta (Arranged)
Burning Wasteland: Baten Kaitos - Supreme Ruler of the Nine Heavens
Les Vagas: Jet Set Radio - Miller Ball Breakers
Daigo Temple (Cherry Blossoms): Tatsunoko VS Capcom CGoH - Ryu
Gesellschaft (Clear Skies): Sonic & Knuckles - Flying Battery (Snappleman)
Aensland Castle: Streets of Rage Remake - The Last Groove
Uncharted Region of China: F-Zero GX - Infinite Blue
Daigo Temple (Moonlight): Street Fighter 3 Third Strike - Ryu
Gesellschaft (Storm): Super Monkey Ball - Storm Temple
Orbital Ring Systems Cargo Bay: Metroid Prime - Main Menu
Williamette Parkview Mall: Puyo Puyo - Memories (Remodel '94) (can't find this particular mix on Youtube)
Training Stage: Vectorman - Options (Arranged)

Hyped as hell for this weekend.

Ha, I'm still stuck with the Japanese CGoH :p

Brilliant game, shame about Batsu not being in MVC3, him and Casshern are my go-to fighters. Not that I'm the slightest bit good :lol

Sixfortyfive said:
I looked into some homebrew apps yesterday and ended up making a custom soundtrack for TvC:

Williamette Parkview Mall: Puyo Puyo - Memories (Remodel '94) (can't find this particular mix on Youtube)

Wait, there's a homebrew app for changing TvC's music now?

Sixfortyfive

Choppasmith said:
Wait, there's a homebrew app for changing TvC's music now?
You need something to convert music files to SSD format and Riivolution to patch them in on the fly from the SD card.

These two posts by MGF on the SRK forums link you to what you need:
http://shoryuken.com/f306/id-like-r...elp-figure-out-223982/index5.html#post8657490
http://shoryuken.com/f306/id-like-r...elp-figure-out-223982/index6.html#post8945910

The Homebrew Channel needs to be installed to launch Riivolution easily, of course.

It's also best to use music files that are at least 3:45 long for stage themes so that you don't have to worry about setting loop points correctly and all that nonsense.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Just for kicks and giggles, I think I'm going to make a custom soundtrack where every track is Kaze yo Tsutaete :lol

I will then make a soundtrack where every track is Guile's theme

faridmon

Sixfortyfive said:

You amazing and have a truly outstanding taste in music. I especially allaud you for picking tracks from Baten Kaitos OST and Jet Set Radio.

Boss Doggie

All this Tatsunoko talk makes me wonder if, and IF, they are gonna make TvC2, wonder which characters from the Tatsunoko side they're gonna pull in.

Kinda disappointed that SoulTaker didn't make it in.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ookami-kun said:
All this Tatsunoko talk makes me wonder if, and IF, they are gonna make TvC2, wonder which characters from the Tatsunoko side they're gonna pull in.

Kinda disappointed that SoulTaker didn't make it in.

I was thinking about characters they could use for TvC2 and Rad and Arthur already coming to MvC3

it would be sweet if they made TvC2 I am hoping they are but realism tells me no :(

A comment made by Nitsuma a few months ago (I think it was SDCC) said he would look into making a TvC2 after MvC3 came out, it was rather vague, but certainly promising. I can't help but think they'd save someone like Masamune Date for a more Anime-themed crossover. Would be really cool if some of the things from MvC3 would carry over like the more expressive characters or unique tag calls. I kinda wonder if the new Sengoku Basara using the MT Framework Lite on Wii could be used to make an even better looking TvC sequel looking more like MvC3. But then by Spring 2011, would they even want to announce a new Wii game by then?

Boss Doggie

I don't really mind if TvC2 comes out in any console (hell, even on handheld), I just want to see it another time because it gives a nice view on creative, new-spawned crossovers.

Sixfortyfive

I'd be really surprised if Capcom actually kept both TvC and MvC alive as their own separate entities simultaneously, especially when Ultimate All Stars didn't even get an arcade release.

Anyway, Season's Beatings was pretty awesome. The TvC turnout was really small due to the fact that it only had a community-run side event, but there was still some good competition there, including RyRy, Keits, and Kurasa, who took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in the side tourney, respectively. I could actually keep up with them for the most part as long as my execution wasn't sloppy, except for Kurasa's Doronjo, which is just a nightmare to deal with. Incredible control of the screen and deceptively long normals that lead into stupid awesome long palm tree + rocks combos. Dude even rocked a Doronjo t-shirt and Doronjo stick.

Like, I got to the TvC corner of the place and the first thing I see is RyRy running a train over some people with 100% combos from Jun, but when he knocked me into losers I could actually make a game out of it, taking him down to 1 character with 1/3 health both times. Could have beaten Keits in casuals had I not dropped what would have been a clutch baroque combo. I could handle Kurasa sometimes if he didn't have Doronjo or Saki in play. I went back and forth with most of the other guys there. I feel confident with Morrigan, but my Ryu is scrubby. I still can't find a solid 2nd character. ._.

One of my friends that came with me trolled with YatterRoll with some great results. Some kid running Jun/Chun just started cursing constantly every time Roll fell out of his flashy combos and I turn to him and say "And this is why I dropped Jun." Hate dealing with that shit. :lol

Playing new faces for basically 2 days straight was so awesome. I feel like I could actually compete if I could get that sort of match experience in more often. It's a crime that it's more or less impossible to find a local scene for this game if you don't live in Cali. It deserves so much more love. At this point I just hope that it's not too difficult to transition into MvC3 from this.

Sixfortyfive

Really small tournament, like 16 players or so, and it wasn't officially run by SB. Every one of us were way into the game though and spent most of our time playing casuals in our own little side area when we weren't playing in other tournaments.

There were a lot of smaller games set up on the side for money matches and casuals all over the place. Some guy had a Vampire Savior arcade board stuck in a box that was modded for TV output and PS2 controller hookups. Two UMK3 arcade machines were hooked up next to the bathrooms. A couple TVs running TMNT Tournament Fighters were just laying in the middle of a hallway. The SF4 pool which both a friend of mine and Daigo were in was set up inside of the bowling alley. It was a really cool and low-key sort of feeling for a major tournament that had so much top talent there.

Veal

All I want is Speed Racer. Can someone shed some light as to why he wasn't added despite there being art for him made?

Baron

Anyone know of any deals for this game? I'd really like to buy it someday but everywhere I look it's still selling for $40-$50. I can buy SSFIV for half that. How is it the price is still so high for this game?

Sixfortyfive

Veal said:
All I want is Speed Racer. Can someone shed some light as to why he wasn't added despite there being art for him made?
The two reasons I've heard are licensing issues and difficulty in coming up with a moveset.

The former only really applies to international releases though. I remember that one of the big reasons people thought TvC would never leave Japan in the first place was that even though all the anime properties are owned by Tatsunoko in Japan, the international rights are split between several different companies and it would be too much of a pain in the ass to get all of that sorted out. I believe this is why that genie was cut from the game in UAS.

Baron said:
Anyone know of any deals for this game? I'd really like to buy it someday but everywhere I look it's still selling for $40-$50. I can buy SSFIV for half that. How is it the price is still so high for this game?
This game is at least twice as good as SF4, so no problem there.

I wouldn't pick this up unless you have a local crew to play with, though. Singleplayer is barebones and online is garbage.

Baron said:
Amazon should be the first place you look. Under $30 shipped.

Varjet

Sixfortyfive said:
I wouldn't pick this up unless you have a local crew to play with, though. Singleplayer is barebones and online is garbage.
Online is quite fun as long as you don't run into rage quitters. For some reason there are some of those even in unranked battles, though.

Sixfortyfive

Varjet said:
Online is quite fun as long as you don't run into rage quitters. For some reason there are some of those even in unranked battles, though.
I don't care about ragequitters as long as I can beat them up a little before they ragequit. Win records are pointless anyway; I just want some decent playtime.

It is impossible to find a decent connection because the matchmaking system is horrible. You have absolutely no way of knowing the latency between you and your opponent until the actual match starts, and if it's shitty (which is very likely), then you have no way to drop out besides resetting your console or unplugging your router or just letting the opponent beat you to death asap. It's such a waste of time. I can't even play against friends less than 20 miles away without the timing for all of my advance guards, crossovers, and tick throws being noticeably fucked up, and that's on one of my ISP's good days.

I have never ended an online session of TvC less aggravated than I was when I started, and it has nothing to do with winning or losing. I don't think online play is a selling point for this game, which should be evident seeing as how I made a 3 hour trip for the weekend just to be able to play this game.

Top Bottom