• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL to release 5000+ zones with 5000 nits peak brightness MINI LED TV

RoboFu

One of the green rats
sddefault.jpg

not watching any stupid face YT vid. .

Ulysses 31

I feel like the next-gen display evolution is Micro LEDs and not these stop-gap Mini LEDs. Not really interested in this tech tbh, and I rather wait 5-10 years for Micro LED technology to get at acceptable price for consumers.
Considering how far off and expensive MicroLED is/will be. These kinds of Mini LEDS advancements are decent stop-gaps IMO(if they're coming from Samsung or other high-end TV manufacturers).

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

ofc it is.
Nothing will ever beat per pixel control in picture quality.
Depends, currently there's trade offs when it comes to longevity and brightness. If light canons and color volumes are your thing, the current per pixel control solutions might not cut it.

DaGwaphics

What the fuck is wrong with people? Are you all blind or something that we need 5000nits tvs? I have a C2 and it's bright as fucking hell when I play on it and it's 800nits.

They are trying to sear the white parts of the image into our brains permanently. Same general idea as the current brightness levels of head and brake lights on cars. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Spyxos

Is so much peak brightness good for the eyes at all? I saw extremely bright HDR at a friend's house and it was rather uncomfortable.

My Eyes Spongebob GIF

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

What the fuck is wrong with people? Are you all blind or something that we need 5000nits tvs? I have a C2 and it's bright as fucking hell when I play on it and it's 800nits.
They ain't talking about full screen eye ball searing 5000 nit brightness, it's for things like the brightest parts of explosions.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
ryan reynolds hd GIF

I'll never understand why someone would even want a TV that bright. This weird cold war with brightness between TV manufacturer's is asinine. Do they think everyone is watching TV under the bright lights at Walmart?

Sethbacca

I've got a TCL 6 series from about 3/4 years back, but it's getting to the point where it's real tempting to upgrade. The color ,lighting, and image quality on newer sets is insane. Plus VRR and other modern features would be nice.

Schmendrick

Depends, currently there's trade offs when it comes to longevity and brightness. If light canons and color volumes are your thing, the current per pixel control solutions might not cut it.
MicroLED is at least 5 years away from being anywhere near consumer mainstream. More than enough time to figure out the kinks. I have no doubt that even the first real consumer mainstream MicroLED gen will mob the floor with the best OLEDs.

Last edited:

Neilg

MicroLED with be great, and is the future, but any TV you buy today will be dead and require replacing by the time it's a reasonable price.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
TCL made great cheap 1080p tvs I still use my 3 series from 2019 in my basement den

Sadly modern TCL is so shit at upscaling low resolution content (90% of what I watch is old stuff) that its not an option for me

Hisense blows them out of the water in recent years (I don't give a rats ass about brightness or sets that chase after "directors intent" ) to excuse the panel being a washed out blurry mess.....If you get a TCL make sure you don't care about sharpness....like at all

Oh my fuck it is happening. I'm holding out for a 10,000 dimming zone monitor with 2000+ nits to finally upgrade my old basic bitch IPS 1440p 144hz monitor. This is a huge step towards that goal coming to life. I've maintained that at 10k dimming zones, you'll practically never have a valid reason to choose OLED over that, and it would be a fantastic stop gap until MicroLED comes out and obsoletes every display technology on the planet. I can't wait to get my dream monitor. Hope I live to see it lol

twilo99

Oh my fuck it is happening. I'm holding out for a 10,000 dimming zone monitor with 2000+ nits to finally upgrade my old basic bitch IPS 1440p 144hz monitor. This is a huge step towards that goal coming to life. I've maintained that at 10k dimming zones, you'll practically never have a valid reason to choose OLED over that, and it would be a fantastic stop gap until MicroLED comes out and obsoletes every display technology on the planet. I can't wait to get my dream monitor. Hope I live to see it lol

I didn’t even know those existed .. very exciting indeed. It sounds like they will have insane response time and more importantly we won’t have to worry about burn in at all.

μLED tech is probably ~10 years out tho

amigastar

No, the organic component of OLED makes that impossible.

MicroLED is said to have all the strengths of OLED and QLED without risk of burn in.
Yes, that what i've meant, some technology with all strengths but no burn in. Sounds good, man.
Currently using an IPS Eizo Monitor, but'll wait for MicroLED ones they are available for a wide audience.

Last edited:
Yes, that what i've meant, some technology with all strengths but no burn in. Sounds good, man.
Currently using an IPS Eizo Monitor, but'll wait for MicroLED ones they are available for a wide audience.
You’re going to be waiting a long time (10-15+ years). There are prototypes of microled sets at 75”-100”, but smaller sizes will ultimately be a limited by pixel pitch/DPI. The tech is built to be viewed in a home theater or large living room, not 12” away.

I would bet dual layer LCD tech will trickle down into consumer grade panels/pricing before microled is widely adopted

Top Bottom