• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL to release 5000+ zones with 5000 nits peak brightness MINI LED TV

Sounds pretty neat, 5000 dimming zones should work great. I'll wait until Philips/Panasonic are offering something like that myself tho before jumping back to LCD.

You’re going to be waiting a long time (10-15+ years). There are prototypes of microled sets at 75”-100”, but smaller sizes will ultimately be a limited by pixel pitch/DPI. The tech is built to be viewed in a home theater or large living room, not 12” away.

I would bet dual layer LCD tech will trickle down into consumer grade panels/pricing before microled is widely adopted

Wasn't there a Hisense TV that did something like that? I think it had two panels, one regular one greyscale, that gave almost OLED black levels for a small decrease in typical LCD brightness (due to the extra panel) Would be interesting to see more of it

Edit: Its the Hisense U9DG. Not the best panel response times apparently, but it could work for gaming etc if they get that down in future models

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
He addresses that in his video and I agree with him personally

Nope
can’t wait.

The Original Series GIF by Star Trek

amigastar

You’re going to be waiting a long time (10-15+ years). There are prototypes of microled sets at 75”-100”, but smaller sizes will ultimately be a limited by pixel pitch/DPI. The tech is built to be viewed in a home theater or large living room, not 12” away.

I would bet dual layer LCD tech will trickle down into consumer grade panels/pricing before microled is widely adopted
Really, i've read that it it will be widely available in 2026?

Sounds pretty neat, 5000 dimming zones should work great. I'll wait until Philips/Panasonic are offering something like that myself tho before jumping back to LCD.

Wasn't there a Hisense TV that did something like that? I think it had two panels, one regular one greyscale, that gave almost OLED black levels for a small decrease in typical LCD brightness (due to the extra panel) Would be interesting to see more of it

Edit: Its the Hisense U9DG. Not the best panel response times apparently, but it could work for gaming etc if they get that down in future models
Yeah, I'm not sure what went wrong there but I'm going to assume the combo of IPS/ADS + greyscale VA + cheap components. Dual-layer LCDs are used in one of Sonys $30k mastering monitors and don't have these issues (ghosting, response time), but obviously aren't built for gaming/low input lag.

OT: more zones is almost always better as long as the underlying tech/algorithms make good use of it. My 16" MacBook Pro has miniled (10k miniLEDs, 2,500 zones) and it's one of the best LED-based screens I've ever seen as far as near black handling and blooming, not to mention HDR impact. TCL has come a long way, but I'd rather get an OLED or other high-end brand if I'm spending $2k-$3k. TCL has horrible image processing and OOTB accuracy that can't always be fixed with even basic calibration.

Really, i've read that it it will be widely available in 2026?
TVs? Sure, but "mass market" will still likely be in the $5k-$10k range to start and ~$2k-$3k by 2030. I'm saying monitors specifically will likely not be viable (or cost effective for manufacturers) for quite some time due to the limitations of the tech. Once they are available and affordable, it'll homogenize the TV market again and pretty much every display will be 4K/8K/16K microLED.

Last edited:
People seem to talk about brightness so much when I don't even care. I'm more concerned about dimness for the ability to pass out in front of it. I have returned two fancier TVs so far and am still using my mid-range 2016 Samsung for it's solid ability to lower backlight levels to being watchable and yet not interfering with sleep.

amigastar

Yeah, I'm not sure what went wrong there but I'm going to assume the combo of IPS/ADS + greyscale VA + cheap components. Dual-layer LCDs are used in one of Sonys $30k mastering monitors and don't have these issues (ghosting, response time), but obviously aren't built for gaming/low input lag.

OT: more zones is almost always better as long as the underlying tech/algorithms make good use of it. My 16" MacBook Pro has miniled (10k miniLEDs, 2,500 zones) and it's one of the best LED-based screens I've ever seen as far as near black handling and blooming, not to mention HDR impact. TCL has come a long way, but I'd rather get an OLED or other high-end brand if I'm spending $2k-$3k. TCL has horrible image processing and OOTB accuracy that can't always be fixed with even basic calibration.

TVs? Sure, but "mass market" will still likely be in the $5k-$10k range to start and ~$2k-$3k by 2030. I'm saying monitors specifically will likely not be viable (or cost effective for manufacturers) for quite some time due to the limitations of the tech. Once they are available and affordable, it'll homogenize the TV market again and pretty much every display will be 4K/8K/16K microLED.
Yeah, that sucks. I was hoping for a sooner mass market release, but i wonder if we will have an other better tech in 2030/31 by the time MicroLED hits the mass market.

Last edited:
What the fuck is wrong with people? Are you all blind or something that we need 5000nits tvs? I have a C2 and it's bright as fucking hell when I play on it and it's 800nits.
C1 here and my girlfriend complains about it being too bright in a dark room at half brightness.

Yeah, that sucks. I was hoping for a sooner mass market release, but i wonder if we will have an other better tech in 2030/31 by the time MicroLED hits the mass market.
I doubt it. Everything I've seen and heard from industry folks is just an evolution on existing tech, like increased dimming zones for miniLED or increased brightness/durability for OLED. Every major manufacturer is investing in microLED as the next big thing.

Pretty awesome to see progress in panel technology, particularly outside Samsung / LG. I had a TCL when I was a student and the TV was incredible value. This is great since it will put pricing pressure on the premium manufacturers.

Just saw the video. That's freaking nuts, TCL is killing it.

X955 - 85", 98", 5000 nits, 5185 mini LEDs.
C955 - 65", 75", 85", 98", 2000 nits
C755 - 50 - 98", 500 zones, 1300 nits

Last edited:

Rbk_3

MEH. I used to be all about TV innovation but now I couldn't give a shit. I have an OLED TV and a 360hz IPS and that is all I need.

Top Bottom