• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the kingdom has leaked [Spoilers in this Thread]

scalman

you can appear in places you shouldnt too early seems so as now you can fly up to sky places and then glide down... but like you then die from one hit from enemies... so thats that .. i mean they dont tell me which part to go first.. i tried different areas and still have no new clothes so like dying from one hit ... so just trying to not get hit ...but thats not how you should play it i guess... should i go west first... well i found frickin dragon too in some place that i shouldnt be yet ... found too rockets in sky and launched them ...

OCL

Guys i'm the only one who really really does not enjoy the game so far ? I love Botw to death, but god damn this game is literally Botw 1.5 it just feel like a giants extension. What the fuck where they thinking, i'm so sad and mad to have waited 6 years for this , i think i'ts my biggest disappointment since Final Fantasy XV lol

Oppoi

I feel like I'd dip my toes back in the same pond. Sorry Nintendo but that's the truth. All the joy of exploring new environments is lost, and that was my favourite part of the last game. They really need to wow me.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I see something I want to do,

thens I get lost in the joys and wonder of this breathing world for a couple hours on the way there.

The world is alive and is so deep. I'm speechless my friends.

All I can do is play this epic masterpiece game and eat fast food at this point. I've put on 15 pounds since I gots this thing.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
If BOTW was everything yous ever dreamed of

it would be called Tears Of The Kingdom

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Hugare

Got to the camp, met Purah

Watched a recap of all the events that I've experienced 30 minutes ago, as if the game was calling me a retard.

Then she told me to meet the captain near Hyrule castle.

Went there, on foot ('cause I dont have horses this early in the game). Took quite a while.

"The captain is at the first gate", said a soldier. Ok. Walked some more.

"The captain is still not here. He is there, at the gate". 'k, walked some more. Sprinting for 2 seconds before my stamina drains out over and over again is fun.

"The captain is at the top of the tower".

... Ok, let me climb it.

"Hey, I'm the cap- wait, did you see Zelda? She was there just now. Go back to Purah"

Fuck this game, honestly.

Who thinks that mission design like this is good?

scalman

building stuff is hard..specially when horse moves around and your platform just drives off hill on 3 wheels .. :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:
Gw2tewH.png

and worse part is if you build anything or you found cool transport with horse ... or stole from enemies... but then you die or you saved game and after you loaded game its all gone...all was left for me was horse that still had those chains on him .. so then you can make anything and like attach to horse stuff...but then it cant turn.. .so i still couldnt find how to make that thing like move around ... so horse could turn properly... hmm
but i mean its on another level from botw ..those devs put some thinking there... i mean if they cant make game look next gen at least they could make it more free and with building crafting attaching stuff thing .. more like you see in those indie survivor games just this is even better...
well imagine what mods could bring with that ... like unbrakeable wood planks or like unlimited power to those wind engines..
running around missions sucks i agree too thats why i just dropped those for some time and just do what i could find there and what to build maybe... i mean you are the famous infamous Link ... you are the man ... yes but then they give you missions to run there grab that and come back to tell...then run there again and take picture maybe .. then come back to show picture...i mean .. cmon... i wish they had some stuff like smartphones there... ohh wait ...
thats why i loved those missions on sky islands... and i thought i will be staying there longer... well what a shame ... go back to people i guess to do stupid missions to run around ...
but still keeping dying from one hit mostly..there is something wrong here in that ... did i did wrong turn somewhere or missed some chest with cool clothes or smt .. i mean those enemies having like weapons of only 4 damage and they kill me with one hit ... ?!? i mean im kinda following main story line there... not sure why then .. i mean i just have clothes from beggining of games .. maybe i missed something there then ... i tried go south and west.. and north ... mostly same enemies .. i mean or its just me here so weak ... or smt wrong there...i got to places and killed almost all enemies just with bows and arrows just because if im not precise i will die just from one time enemy hits me no matter with what shitty weapon they have ... hmmm

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Watched a recap of all the events that I've experienced 30 minutes ago, as if the game was calling me a retard.

Went there, on foot ('cause I dont have horses this early in the game). Took quite a while.

"The captain is still not here. He is there, at the gate". 'k, walked some more. Sprinting for 2 seconds before my stamina drains out over and over again is fun.

... Ok, let me climb it.

"Hey, I'm the cap- wait, did you see Zelda? She was there just now. Go back to Purah"

Here's what I did. Got to the camp after exploring awhile.
Purah told me to go to the castle.
Ended up exploring various local areas, finding the location of different treasures, exploring death mountain, exploring the castle perimeter and secret caves.
Came across the guy I was supposed to meet. He told me to go back to the lookout area.
I continued exploring Hyrule castle. Found new armor. Found a secret exit. Followed that back to lookout tower, came across side quests that made me use my head.
Got back and unlocked the first tower.

I agree the quest design sucks as you say if you go from marker to marker (Got nothing on Xenoblade though), but I think the best way to play these games is similar to Elden Ring and exploring on your own and creating your own random experiences along the way.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

... Ok, let me climb it.

I think it's encouraging you to get bored and head off in a random direction. It's bad on purpose.

Hugare

Here's what I did. Got to the camp after exploring awhile.
Purah told me to go to the castle.
Ended up exploring various local areas, finding the location of different treasures, exploring death mountain, exploring the castle perimeter and secret caves.
Came across the guy I was supposed to meet. He told me to go back to the lookout area.
I continued exploring Hyrule castle. Found new armor. Found a secret exit. Followed that back to lookout tower, came across side quests that made me use my head.
Got back and unlocked the first tower.

I agree the quest design sucks as you say if you go from marker to marker (Got nothing on Xenoblade though), but I think the best way to play these games is similar to Elden Ring and exploring on your own and creating your own random experiences along the way.
I think it's encouraging you to get bored and head off in a random direction. It's bad on purpose.

I've finished Elden Ring, Witcher 3 (3 times), Skyrim ...

They give you the option to explore while giving you worthwhile main quests. If you want to focus on the main quest in TW3 or Skyrim, you'll feel engaged. They dont need to make the main quest shit so you feel bored and go do sidequests.

How about making sidequests fun so you feel compelled to do them? Crazy idea

And most importantly: all of them (even freaking Elden Ring, a Miyazaki game) gave you a mount that you could call at any time because exploring with a 2 seconds stamina bar wouldnt be fun.

TotK made me go to a tower only to see a 5 seconds cutscene (I shit you not, 5 seconds) of Zelda appearing on the distance, becoming a beam of light and flying away. Then told me to go back all the way on foot with an ashmatic Link.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

They give you the option to explore while giving you worthwhile main quests. If you want to focus on the main quest in TW3 or Skyrim, you'll feel engaged. They dont need to make the main quest shit so you feel bored and go do sidequests.

And most importantly: all of them (even freaking Elden Ring, a Miyazaki game) gave you a mount that you could call at any time because exploring with a 2 seconds stamina bar wouldnt be fun.

TotK made me go to a tower only to see a 5 seconds cutscene (I shit you not, 5 seconds) of Zelda appearing on the distance, becoming a beam of light and flying away. Then told me to go back all the way on foot with an ashmatic Link.
I was joking slightly. It would have been nice if they at least TRIED to write an engaging story this time around, but it's a Zelda game so apparently that's not allowed. There's only so much you can do when your main hero isn't allowed to talk under pain of death.

Hugare

I was joking slightly. It would have been nice if they at least TRIED to write an engaging story this time around, but it's a Zelda game so apparently that's not allowed. There's only so much you can do when your main hero isn't allowed to talk under pain of death.
I dont care for the story as much as I care for respecting my time with basic stuff.

I'm a huge fan of story driven games, but I've loved stuff with no story, even finished The Forest, a survival game with almost zero storyline, because the gameplay loop was fun enough.

Zelda games didnt suffer much with this on the past 'cause even tho they didnt have great stories, at least they were more focused.

I've tried loving BOTW and I'm trying even more to love TotK, but man, stuff like: why not giving you a mount like Elden Ring's Torrent at the start of the game??

Exploration is key, right? How fun is it to explore on foot with a small stamina bar?

Why not making interesting sidequests instead of forcing players to do sidequests 'cause the main path sucks? And said sidequests are shrines or ... helping a dude raise a sign?

You can circle around the weapon breaking mechanic a bit with Fuse now, but its still not fun and a dumb way to make you experiment with other weapons that mostly play the same.

Fuse is smart, but why force the player to make a new weapon when it breaks? Make them all indestructible, and I'll make a new one when I see the need for it, or when I want to experiment with something new.

But watch this very flawed designed game get 92+ MC score, what the fuck do I know

Ogbert

The kind of people to hate on this because of pixels and frames are the kind of people that pirate games. This is a dirty thread.
Yep.

And nothing screams ‘Zelda is overrated’ more than taking the effort to pirate it on the PC or break the street launch date.

Oh man, this game is so shit! That’s why I’ve gone out of my way to get it early and now I’m going to tell you all why it sucks! Did I mention I like Souls games?!?

Hugare

Yep.

And nothing screams ‘Zelda is overrated’ more than taking the effort to pirate it on the PC or break the street launch date.

Oh man, this game is so shit! That’s why I’ve gone out of my way to get it early and now I’m going to tell you all why it sucks! Did I mention I like Souls games?!?
Since I shared some negative impressions here and also mentioned Elden Ring on my post:

I love the franchise btw, but hated BotW. Took the huge (sarcasm) effort to get TotK to see if they corrected many of the things that I've disliked in BotW.

Then proceeded to write impressions on a gaming forum because maybe other people that experienced the same with BotW would like to know if they would like TotK

I wasn't even overly negative or anything, imo. All the new powers are cool, for example, especially Fuse.

But some of the game design choices are seriously flawed. And yeah, if it gets 92+MC (we all know it will), I'll think it will be overrated.

BTW, I dont love Souls games or anything. Finished Bloodborne and beat Elden Ring.

I just compared it to ER because even ER being a FROM game, a Miyazaki game, they at least gave you Torren because they knew how freaking boring it would be to explore on foot most of the time

Last edited:

Ogbert

Since I shared some negative impressions here and also mentioned Elden Ring on my post:

I love the franchise btw, but hated BotW. Took the huge (sarcasm) effort to get TotK to see if they corrected many of the things that I've disliked in BotW.

Then proceeded to write impressions on a gaming forum because maybe other people that experienced the same with BotW would like to know if they would like TotK

I wasn't even overly negative or anything, imo. All the new powers are cool, for example, especially Fuse.

But some of the game design choices are seriously flawed. And yeah, if it gets 92+MC (we all know it will), I'll think it will be overrated.

BTW, I dont love Souls games or anything. Finished Bloodborne and beat Elden Ring.

I just compared it to ER because even ER being a FROM game, a Miyazaki game, they at least gave you Torren because they knew how freaking boring it would be to explore on foot most of the time
Genuinely wasn’t aimed at you; apologies if it came across that way. I was just reading the ERA thread and there’s lots more of that stuff there.

I’m just bemused at those complaining it’s BoTW 1.5. Every single AAA sequel is exactly that, especially if it’s following up the most critically lauded game of all time.

It’s Zelda Minecraft.

BabyYoda

Banned
Genuinely wasn’t aimed at you; apologies if it came across that way. I was just reading the ERA thread and there’s lots more of that stuff there.

I’m just bemused at those complaining it’s BoTW 1.5. Every single AAA sequel is exactly that, especially if it’s following up the most critically lauded game of all time.

It’s Zelda Minecraft.
Nah, it's Zelda: Nut's & Bolts.

DanEON

It’s Zelda Minecraft.
I dont know any sequel that uses the exact same map of the previous game.

Hugare

It’s Zelda Minecraft.
No problem

I'm not gonna lie, I'm one of those complaining about it being BoTW 1.5. Much of it due to it being located on the same map.

If you are on a spoiler thread, then you know that there's more to it then the original map (depths and sky islands), but even with these aditions, it feels too samey

I dont remember a sequel being located at the exact same map, so its hard to compare to other games that I've experienced.

I felt like GOW Ragnarok was too samey, but even then, it had tons of new places to explore

My humble opinion: they should have ditched the original map and just focused on the depths/sky islands to make it feel unique

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I dont know any sequel that uses the exact same map of the previous game.
I haven't played it of course ,but im pretty sure there will be plenty of new things as well, using the 'same' map means there will be familiar locations,characters and reused assets,but its not necessarily a lazy sequel were they paste a new story on the exact same shit.im sure Tears of the Kingdom will stand out compared to Breath of the Wild

It is essentially the previous game, but perfected

Holammer

opened the game, played for 5 minutes, and will sell it to a friend

performance is shit, looks all washed out, and its the same map ?? yawn im out
That's the most flaccid flamebait I ever saw, so lazy. Do better.
Add a little pizzazz like apple_of_enlightenment apple_of_enlightenment apple_of_enlightenment did, like so... This shit adds another 2 pages to a thread.

The kind of people to hate on this because of pixels and frames are the kind of people that pirate games. This is a dirty thread.

How much of the game have you played?

DosGamer

In BOTW you could help start a town from scratch if I remember correctly. Can you do the same in the new game? Can you have your own house in this one?

Thaedolus

I dont care for the story as much as I care for respecting my time with basic stuff.

I'm a huge fan of story driven games, but I've loved stuff with no story, even finished The Forest, a survival game with almost zero storyline, because the gameplay loop was fun enough.

Zelda games didnt suffer much with this on the past 'cause even tho they didnt have great stories, at least they were more focused.

I've tried loving BOTW and I'm trying even more to love TotK, but man, stuff like: why not giving you a mount like Elden Ring's Torrent at the start of the game??

Exploration is key, right? How fun is it to explore on foot with a small stamina bar?
Just like BotW, this game eases you into new abilities that make traversal faster and easier. Just like every Zelda game tbh, you don’t start off Ocarina with all the warp areas or horse initially, and that’s a good thing.
Why not making interesting sidequests instead of forcing players to do sidequests 'cause the main path sucks? And said sidequests are shrines or ... helping a dude raise a sign?
This reads like you haven’t really pursued many side quests and are just complaining based on the early area. And the side quests seem to actually have big payoffs now.

You can circle around the weapon breaking mechanic a bit with Fuse now, but its still not fun and a dumb way to make you experiment with other weapons that mostly play the same.

Fuse is smart, but why force the player to make a new weapon when it breaks? Make them all indestructible, and I'll make a new one when I see the need for it, or when I want to experiment with something new.

But watch this very flawed designed game get 92+ MC score, what the fuck do I know

Weapons are ammo. Use up the weak stuff in the rabble and save the big guns for bosses, expand your inventory, it never becomes a problem.

GymWolf

Are horses still fucking useless in tiktok aswell?

What do you need to put in the granny’s rice so she can get the fuck up and go to work? I tried adding a couple of those flowerd that help you regain energy lost when exploring the underground, but it only resulted in a regular dish.

I like the fact that it is the same map. It is cool that the story continues in the same world. That generates something special. You see places you've visited in the past and now somethings changed, except the world around you.
So this is a fine idea, in my opinion.

Hugare

Most Yakuza games use the exact same map and it feels new and amazing every time.
True, but its more of a background for the story in Yakuza than a playground.

I dont play a Yakuza game because I want to explore the environment, but for the story. So it being samey is ok.

Again, I dont have a personal vendetta against the game, and I would probably feel the same if there was another open world game that reuses the same map and is as focused on emergent gameplay

Are horses still fucking useless in tiktok aswell?
Played it for 3h and didnt find a horse (only doing the main quest).

Just like BotW, this game eases you into new abilities that make traversal faster and easier. Just like every Zelda game tbh, you don’t start off Ocarina with all the warp areas or horse initially, and that’s a good thing.

This reads like you haven’t really pursued many side quests and are just complaining based on the early area. And the side quests seem to actually have big payoffs now.

Weapons are ammo. Use up the weak stuff in the rabble and save the big guns for bosses, expand your inventory, it never becomes a problem.
Ocarina didnt have a stamina meter, tho

Neither had an open world map of this size

Wind Waker would be the closest comparison, but even Nintendo noticed how freaking slow it was in the original game by giving you a faster sail in the HD remake.

Its fine to not give you lot of traversal options right at the start of the game, but then dont design main quests where you have to walk miles on foot.

And yeah, I havent done many sidequests so far (3h in). But BotW sucked in this regard, and the first one I found didnt give me a good first impression (lifting the sign for that dude)

Maybe there are better sidequests out there that I havent found yet

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Finally got time to sit down and play this for a couple hours and its good, i like it a lot.

I couldnt care less for the exposition though, that was boring.

Also you could see those ugly ass fsr artifacts when you drop from the sky the first time, god I hate fsr.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
What do you need to put in the granny’s rice so she can get the fuck up and go to work? I tried adding a couple of those flowerd that help you regain energy lost when exploring the underground, but it only resulted in a regular dish.
Sundelion

Also, to everyone saying 'the same map' -- it's not. There are the Depths which is entirely new (and imo a cool area) -- and the normal overworld is changed quite a bit. It's the same GENERAL map, but it's certainly not 1:1 the same map.

Last edited:

scalman

it runs okish same as botw at least on gtx 1060 laptop at 1080p around 20-30fps ... with fsr .. so this game doesnt run any faster on yuzu same as ryunjinx so im using that.. because it doesnt have any visual glitches that i see with yuzu...

but about game again i mean ohh man ...
played it for more hrs and i mean cmon couple mods will make this game like just god mode .. if in botw not breakable weapon mod made it just more fun in this game you will become like a GOD if your weapons and shield wont brake or will be at least 10x stronger , it wont be fun game .. i mean you will destroy anyone ... even from start...
i think im not supposed to appear on placees that i appeared in most cases i think im not strong enough dont have enough hearts or stamina for places that i came but well game dont tell you much to not do it ... i mean flame emiting shield would destroy any enemie if it would not brake after like 2 times using it ... or like rocket that you can attach to shield and fly up like rocketman... i mean those devs gave some tools here but they made those tools breakable so fast so you wouldnt become too powerfull . but i think i messed up the game like i tottaly messed up areas that i neede to go first so i went to places that i need to be later ... i mean because you can like reach almost any place in map without fighting or without much stamina just because those fallen rocks from sky ... you just jump on one and fly up with it ..and then you glide down .. thats it .. then you can even reach sky places from them and then jump down from those and appear in all places in map ... so like they gave us too much tools here so we can even mess up our game ..
worse things from botw about it .. i mean treasure chests... i remember in botw when they gave you like weapons or clothes.. in this game so far at least all they give you are arrows or some stones.. thats it they dont give you shit ... and in most cases its no point to even try to open them as its no reward there just like 5 arrows or smt... thats just stupid
then all that building transport thing ... i mean yeah its fun at first ... but when you played it for some time ... you see later that its like no point to even use them , i mean why ? if they brake fomr 2 times hitting them with weapon .. so you like worked on some masterpeace for hr and then some ebenmy come and smash it to peaces with one hit ... i mean cmon .. why to even do that then.. again some mod that will make them unbreakable will change all.
i think i will start new game even after like more then 15 hrs playing it .. i will start from new because i just went to wrong places that i shouldnt go ..or was i ? im not sure... well she said go eplore these 4 regions ... so i did .. went and explored...
and power go trough ceelings is cheating .. i mean you can cheat game a lot with it too ...why bother climbing things if you can go trough them or find flying rock jump on them and go up in the sky ... and then glide to areas that you need to go ...
and its weird how you dotn get any strong weapons in game anymore... is it because they tell you to attach one weapon on another .. i mean in botw if you knew what shrine to go to get good weapon you went there you get weapon and then you can defeat those horse thing bosses ... but in here... no matter what areas i was .. they just wont give you any good weapon ... and thats weird... so i just shoot arrows in most cases from distance at enemies and thats easiest ways to win any fight mostlyjust shoot arrow... plsu all wooden crates will have tons arrows for you anyway so they telling you to just use them ... so bows and arrows for win here...
with ultrahand you can cheat lots of things too ... as you might find things that you can carry that are not breakable in game then you take that and smash all enemies with it .. even being weak with bad armor you can beat most enemies just with those tricks or cheats ... but thats what devs gave us then ...
why so little clothes anyway ... and why just to buy them mostly ...or and yet didint met any fairy ... so thats sign that i went wrong way too ...

Melon Husk

Flooding the land would have been interesting instead of reusing the map :lollipop_winking: Oh wait...
Damn, they have reshade mods for the game already on PC. Saw this earlier on reddit:

wr7lxvg7atya1.png
Intended to be Skyward Sword style? I like the slight pinkish tint. Usually these reshade mods crank up the contrast and leave it there.

Sleepwalker

I did the 3 shrines at the start but have died a couple times at the flux construct on the way back to the temple, im not even sure if that guy is optional but he one shots me, ive been very close to killing him so I will do it regardless.

One thing thats super infuriating is the damn nintendo control scheme, run with B (which is where A or X goes according to muscle memory) swing the sword with Y, throw your weapon with r1??? Aim the bow holding r2 and releasing it instead of using l2 to aim.

Sometimes in the middle of gameplay ill end up throwing my weapon instead of attacking or sprinting instead of jumping or doing some other retarded things opposite of what I want :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Going to remap the face buttons tomorrow see if that helps me a bit.

I didn’t fully play through BoTW, was too busy at the time, mostly just watched friends play it from time to time. If this is a better, more fleshed out version of it, I’m excited to experience it all for the first time

Holammer

With full release just around the corner and this thread has runs its course.
As a last hurrah? Check out this fedora tipping piece of work, issuing DMCA takedowns on Twitter for m'lady Nintendo.

Unsurprisingly he's getting absolutely destroyed in the replies

Top Bottom