• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the Kingdom was complete in March 2022 when delay was announced, the entire year after that was spent just on polish

LakeOf9

“Breath” became most successful title in the series, with about 30 million copies sold, creating especially high expectations for “Tears.” It was supposed to be out by last year, but in March 2022, Aonuma had to announce its delay, “to make sure that everything in the game was 100 percent to our standards,” he said. Big video games these days have been launching with bugs and poor graphical performance, while “Tears” was released with no issues, despite more complex physics than even the most expensive PlayStation 5 title.

Crazy stuff

it takes other devs six years to make a janky mess, at that rate if they spent the time they need for polish they'd release a game every couple of decades

Robb

Gold Member
That’s crazy but I’ve been thinking this must have been the case. It’s absolutely nuts that it’s as polished as it is given what the game allows you to do. You can definitely tell they’ve played it to death to iron things out.

Last edited:

Quasicat

This, and the fact that Nintendo games retain their value far longer than others, is the reason why I bought Tears of the Kingdom at launch but still haven’t picked up others, like Jedi Survivor. By the time most Xbox and PS5 games hit their first sale, the game is patched enough to make it a great experience.

StereoVsn

Now, that's impressive. Quite a difference vs usual throw it out there and let's patch it later strategy.

Note that Nintendo isn't imuune to that either. Look at the mess Xenoblade 2 was (and kind of still is) or the new Pokemon game.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Doesn't the game still require a day one patch? I thought I heard some ground becomes transparent or something if you don't patch it?

If that's the case, you would think such a bug would be caught if it was finished way back then.

Saber

Gold Member
They did the right thing then.

Gamefreak could learn from this. Which btw is yet troupled with more bugs and functions delays. Not to mention no more performance updates, if the game ever had one.

Last edited:

feynoob

Doesn't the game still require a day one patch? I thought I heard some ground becomes transparent or something if you don't patch it?

If that's the case, you would think such a bug would be caught if it was finished way back then.
That is for the discs versions. Some discs gets shipped way early.

Can someone in the know please explain to us gamer plebs why other companies don't pay for one year of polish? I'm serious, with all the backlash and bad press that's happening the last couple of years, you'd think that it would make business sense to release your games not broken ...?

Darkmakaimura

That is for the discs versions. Some discs gets shipped way early.
Huh? This is an exclusive that's only on a Nintendo switch and it's a cartridge. There's no port so this game was made for one system and it was supposedly done months ago. There's no way to this game cartridge was shipped to anyone last year.

feynoob

Huh? This is an exclusive that's only on a Nintendo switch and it's a cartridge. There's no port so this game was made for one system and it was supposedly done months ago. There's no way to this game cartridge was shipped to anyone last year.
I mean they could find bugs after the disc version is done. Its why all games gets patched day1. It doesnt matter if its 1 platform or multiple.

LakeOf9

Can someone in the know please explain to us gamer plebs why other companies don't pay for one year of polish? I'm serious, with all the backlash and bad press that's happening the last couple of years, you'd think that it would make business sense to release your games not broken ...?
If Nintendo delays Zelda they still have Pokemon and Fire Emblem and Splatoon, and ongoing Switch sales, and revenue from ongoing third party games

If CDPR delays Cyberpunk, they have nothing in the way of new revenues (just background revenues from GOG).

Unless it was a broken mess in March 2022 that's disappointing they waited so long. Polish is great and all but there are diminishing returns, if we could've gotten an 80% as polished game in like October or even like January I probably would've preferred that over waiting so long just to have a few less basically unnoticeable bugs.

ckaneo

Unless it was a broken mess in March 2022 that's disappointing they waited so long. Polish is great and all but there are diminishing returns, if we could've gotten an 80% as polished game in like October or even like January I probably would've preferred that over waiting so long just to have a few less basically unnoticeable bugs.
No way. Considering the fsr patch to help the framerate also was a day 1 patch

A year delay for polish and still has duplication glitches?
50 Cent Smh GIF

Edit: Can't believe I have to point this out, but I'm being sarcastic.

Last edited:

ckaneo

How about giving the Pokémon team access to the engine. Somehow Nintendo has one of the most impressive open worlds on modern consoles and one of the least impressive lol.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

If Nintendo delays Zelda they still have Pokemon and Fire Emblem and Splatoon, and ongoing Switch sales, and revenue from ongoing third party games

If CDPR delays Cyberpunk, they have nothing in the way of new revenues (just background revenues from GOG).
I agree. This is why a small companies Sony and Microsoft released TLOU1 on PC and Redfall everywhere in such a state. Not like they have much revenue coming in.
😉

L*][*N*K

Banned
I really hope this becomes the norm, I am more than happy to wait a year for a game to release in this near perfect state than “I will play it when the patch is out” and kills all my hype, Microsoft should delay Starfield.

LakeOf9

I agree. This is why a small companies Sony and Microsoft released TLOU1 on PC and Redfall everywhere in such a state. Not like they have much revenue coming in.
😉
I can't speak for Microsoft, for Sony their PC ports are a side project. They dont give a shit about them. But look at their console releases. They are always so hyper polished, I would argue far beyond the average Nintendo game (other than Zelda). Where it matters, Sony polishes the shit out of its games.

Microsoft just sucks at this whole games thing, take that up with them

ckaneo

I can't speak for Microsoft, for Sony their PC ports are a side project. They dont give a shit about them. But look at their console releases. They are always so hyper polished, I would argue far beyond the average Nintendo game (other than Zelda). Where it matters, Sony polishes the shit out of its games.

Microsoft just sucks at this whole games thing, take that up with them
Nah, Nintendo games are usually pretty damn polished. Except trash ass Pokémon.

Very few updates as well though so it comes with a cost. Like they don't even let you change the controls lol

LakeOf9

Nah, Nintendo games are usually pretty damn polished. Except trash ass Pokémon.

Very few updates as well though so it comes with a cost. Like they don't even let you change the controls lol
Im not saying Nintendo games are not polished lol, I was explaining why they are polished

Spyxos

You can really tell, that they spend a lot of time polishing Totk. This game in particular could be completely broken in so many places.

daclynk

"to make sure that everything in the game was 100 percent to our standards," he said. Big video games these days have been launching with bugs and poor graphical performance, while "Tears" was released with no issues, despite more complex physics than even the most expensive PlayStation 5 title.
shots fired GIF

Darkmakaimura

I mean they could find bugs after the disc version is done. Its why all games gets patched day1. It doesnt matter if its 1 platform or multiple.
I see what you're saying but they said they were still messing with the physics so I'm assuming they haven't printed the game on cartridge in 2022 quite yet. That means they should have known about bugs, especially one as big as floors you can fall through, which is my understanding what the day one patch was supposed to clear up, before printing on cartridge.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

I see what you're saying but they said they were still messing with the physics so I'm assuming they haven't printed the game on cartridge in 2022 quite yet. That means they should have known about bugs, especially one as big as floors you can fall through, which is my understanding what the day one patch was supposed to clear up, before printing on cartridge.
Where are you seeing reports of people falling through floors? I just googled it and found nothing. The day one patch does nothing but fix frame rate issues. There are zero reports of any glitches of people falling through floors.

I did find them for Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, was that what you were talking about?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Nintendos gave us the craziest open world evers and the first game with next gen gameplays

there is barely a loading screen or glitch is sights they musts be using Gonai technology

Ex Naughty Dog developer dammmmmmnnn hahaha

Darkmakaimura

Where are you seeing reports of people falling through floors? I just googled it and found nothing. The day one patch does nothing but fix frame rate issues. There are zero reports of any glitches of people falling through floors.

I did find them for Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, was that what you were talking about?
It was when people were leaking the game before it got released about a couple weeks ago. At least that's what I thought I read. Apparently it happened in an area in The Depths.

Still kind of weird they would not have fixed the frame rate issues as well if this was done over a year ago before printing it to cartridge.

LakeOf9

It was when people were leaking the game before it got released about a couple weeks ago. At least that's what I thought I read. Apparently it happened in an area in The Depths.

Still kind of weird they would not have fixed the frame rate issues as well if this was done over a year ago before printing it to cartridge.
So the copies that were being emulated were the ones reporting bugs that were never reported in the actual final build?

I wonder why

Top Bottom