• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the Kingdom was complete in March 2022 when delay was announced, the entire year after that was spent just on polish

Trunx81

just imagine the devs right now, sitting in front of YouTube and other social media where everyone is sharing their crazy stuff they are doing in the game, every time high fiving “told you they would try this!”

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I respect the hell out of Nintendo for doing this. They are also getting rewarded with high praise and huge sales. You got to spend money to make money.

Unlike most of the other big named developers just rushing unfinished product out stinking up the industry.

Fredrik

delay starfield!!1!!!!1!
Yes!!!

If there is any reason it needs a delay then MS is incompetent if they don’t allow it.

Bethesda has worked on this longer than Nintendo worked on TOTK, it’s their first new IP in ages, it’s what’s launching the new iteration of their engine, probably their most important release in the history of the studio.
Why destroy the IP and the studio by rushing it out too early? What’s the upside of that?

Most Bethesda fans will play it on PC anyway so it shouldn’t be used to save Xbox or whatever.

And this year it won’t get the praise it deserves anyway, not after the TOTK release, everything will be compared to TOTK in 2023 and everything will fail, sorry devs and fans of other games but that’s how it is.

For real, another year of polish would simply be better, for the game, for the IP, for the engine, for Bethesda, and tbh after Redfall it would be better for Microsoft as well.

Let’s see if they’re smart enough to do it. Let’s see if they’ve learned anything at all from what has happened in the whole industry and among their own studios the last 3 years or so.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Unless it was a broken mess in March 2022 that's disappointing they waited so long. Polish is great and all but there are diminishing returns, if we could've gotten an 80% as polished game in like October or even like January I probably would've preferred that over waiting so long just to have a few less basically unnoticeable bugs.
Half Baked Boo GIF

Shut0wen

As much as i hate nintendo as a company, there games are always top notch and never buggy, while totk is pretty much technical achievement on many levels, never seen so much attention to physics since half life 2

Good on Nintendo for not shitting out for a cash grab when it was not ready. More studios/publishers should follow their example. It's sad that we have to praise Nintendo for doing this because it feels like almost nobody else is doing it.

It's actually crazy how bug free this game is. I keep doing whacky shit and expect it to not work but it does. This kind of complexity is also running on old low powered hardware as well which makes it even more impressive. The physics are amazing and the Switch CPU handles it well.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
and it still struggles at maintaining 30 fps, switch in life support running this game.

Boy bawang

The game is incredibly polished. Everything happens in a seamless and organic manner, and despite the numerous systems, the game rarely breaks down, if ever.

With that being said, it is impossible that the entire staff was mobilized by this phase. It probably means that the rest was focusing on the DLC, which will be much meatier than the disappointing DLC of BOTW, or that they already moved on to the next game.

FunkMiller

Completely unsurprised by this.

The level of polish in TOTK is insane. With all the physics based stuff going on, and the sheer size, it should be easy to break it.

Nope. Doesn't happen.

Quite fucking astounding.

That a game this size, with this much polish, runs so well on a six year old potato of a console is witchcraft.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Its just me or Xenoblade 3 looks 100x better than TotK and yet the latter got all praises for tecnical achievments ?

Xenoblade might look better but it doesn't have the physics going on. TOTK is impressive because of its display of physics just like Control.

kevm3

lol@the 'terrible, incompetent devs talk.' That's nonsense. This is a first party nintendo title, so they are not under pressure to release it until they are ready. Other game developers have to deal with publishers who absolutely want it out on X date and get told to patch it later. Has nothing to do with lazy devs. Anyone who thinks game devs are lazy have never programmed or have no idea about the industry.

Top Bottom