• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 74th Annual Golden Globes |OT| *laughs at own joke and ruffles Mel Gibson's hair*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when are sports art? Seriously, I have never heard anyone arguing they were, ever. So why would enthusiasts of MMA suddenly get triggered by some actress saying exactly that?

I woke up to this shit:

What an egomaniac. I get that you want to use the forum you were given to talk politics, but why put down other forms of entertainment as if they're so obviously beneath yours?

Joke's on you, Meryl. I'd much rather be watching football and MMA than some award bait film that looks like an utter slog or a masturbatory awards show. And I'm betting there's greater diversity in high level MMA than there is in Hollywood you ignorant clod.

LOL. Calm down, dude.

Please let "Joke's on you, Meryl" become a GAF meme.

Cagey

Banned
Eh the clear implication is that those forms of entertainment are lesser than the arts, not just other-but-equal. Denying this is foolish.

One dumb sentence in the middle of several minutes of greatness doesn't erase the greatness.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Eh the clear implication is that those forms of entertainment are lesser than the arts, not just other-but-equal. Denying this is foolish.

One dumb sentence in the middle of several minutes of greatness doesn't erase the greatness.
The implication is that that's the entertainment generated outside of Hollywood that would be left...

jett

D-Member
Streep might get token noms on a nearly yearly basis, but she's still one of the greatest actors to have lived. Anyone saying otherwise is an absolute fool. I'm already seeing trumpers repeating their dear leader's words about how overrated she is. These people are such mindless sheep.

Since when are sports art? Seriously, I have never heard anyone arguing they were, ever. So why would enthusiasts of MMA suddenly get triggered by some actress saying exactly that?

Eh...she clearly dismissed football and MMA as inferior forms of entertainment in the most pretentious way.

liquidtmd

Banned
I woke up to this shit:

What an egomaniac. I get that you want to use the forum you were given to talk politics, but why put down other forms of entertainment as if they're so obviously beneath yours?

Joke's on you, Meryl. I'd much rather be watching football and MMA than some award bait film that looks like an utter slog or a masturbatory awards show. And I'm betting there's greater diversity in high level MMA than there is in Hollywood you ignorant clod.

tumblr_lrzcbwY4oP1qg2ljg.gif

I woke up to this shit:

Well I'm glad you prefer to watch SPORTS than watch award shows. I agree with you there.

D23

I woke up to this shit:

Lmao are u serious mate?😂

Lemaitre

Banned
Can't believe she's getting flack from posters on here for her comments, which I thought weren't outlandish by any means.

Good job brehs.

Fitts

Perhaps you should've read/watched the quote in it's context. Since context matters and such.

Nah, I don't think I've seen any of her "work" since Death Becomes Her. She wasn't great, tbh.

LOL. Calm down, dude.

Sorry. I was a little excitable when I wrote that because I was taking a shit. Only it wasn't just my typical morning shit, it was performance art and I was fearful that Meryl Streep would judge me harshly with her keen critical eye.

Zabka

She said martial arts, which is bigger than MMA.

She said Mixed Martial Arts.
Ryan Gosling, like all of the nicest people, is Canadian, and Dev Patel was born in Kenya, raised in London, and is here playing an Indian raised in Tasmania. So Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. And if we kick them all out you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.

My wife and I,when we heard her speech live, are pretty sure she said "mixed martial arts".
She wasn't throwing shade at those sports but was emphasizing diversity which is what her entire speech was about.

Trance

Film Theory put out a cool video on predicting the Oscars today it's worth a watch.

He def gets at a lot of good predictors. Totally right about the guilds and other awards. For about a couple of years I've become semi-obsessed with awards predictions and now follow Gold Derby and predictors from about December through February. Here's what I think Mat Pat is missing:

1. Campaigns. He doesn't get into the actual voting body beyond the overall demographic makeup. Maybe analyzing twitter trends really do explain Spotlight's win, and I do believe in the power of the recency effect, but last year the Spotlight team and the real journalists the movie was about ran a big targeted campaign. They were throwing parties constantly and fighting hard to keep the movie alive in the hearts and minds of Hollywood and the voters. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Ford giving Globe voters expensive perfumes helped keep Nocturnal Animals alive in the minds of the HFPA. Campaigns serve to create metanarrative around movies. Like Leo going through physical hell for The Revenant.

2. How a movie is watched. Spotlight works just fine on a DVD/Blu-Ray screener, but the Revenent suffers for not being watched on a big theater screen. Screeners are a very significant and common way these movies are watched by the voters and likely have an influence. Imagine an Oscar voter watching The Revenant on their TV and then constantly pausing it to go and do something. That movie is kind of a slog and not easy to pick up where you left off. Spotlight has a lot of dialogue and the plot is constantly moving. Also, I believe it was The Revenant last year that provided its screener using an online stream instead of a DVD, which I've heard hurt its chances because some of the generally older viewers had a hard time figuring out how to log on. Don't quote me on that one because I can't remember if it was the Revenant that had that issue or another movie.

3. Complementary Oscar trends. He does mention Spotlight being the only movie in 60 years to win BP and just 1 other award, but there might be even more there. There is a case to be made for certain awards being linked together. I've never bothered to look into this too deeply, but analyzing which parts of the industry actually votes for which awards (they are all allowed to vote for almost all awards) could help make predictions. I've heard, for example, that editing and BP are connected, so if you are down to 2 movies who both seem like BP contenders but then one of them is a clearer editing lock, then stick with that one for BP as well. Sorry, I haven't truly looked into this so this whole point might be invalid.

4. Preferential voting for Best Picture. Every voter ranks a top 10. Then each movie gets counted for how many times it's been picked as #1. Then they eliminate the movie that's been picked as #1 the least times until there remains 1 movie that has been picked as #1 over 50% of the total times. There are definitely some flaws here that skew the whole idea of predictions a bit.

5. Voting restrictions (or lack thereof). Except for animated short, live action short, documentary, documentary short, and foreign language, voters don't actually need to have seen a movie to vote for a category. They can also abstain from voting. And everyone can vote in every category.

It's debatable how much any of these can help you make predictions, but they all play a part in picking Oscar winners. My sources are primarily the journalists at Gold Derby and Indiewire. Anne Thompson especially likes to rub shoulders with the actual voters to get a feel for the tone of the game.

Fitts

Serious question: is Fences receiving any level of recognition/acclaim? A friend worked on it (currently working on Last Flag Flying) and I intend to watch it at some point.

Do MMA guys pretend to fall down in pain and complain to the ref? That wouldn't work to well considering its rule set.

Ask Josh Koscheck.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I haven't seen la la la land but sing street got robbed! Heh

Please tell me drive it like you stole it got nominated. I want to see it performed at the Oscars complete with bttf style backdrop and dancers

LionPride

Banned
Serious question: is Fences receiving any level of recognition/acclaim? A friend worked on it (currently working on Last Flag Flying) and I intend to watch it at some point.
Have you been living under a rock?

Not to not be a douche, yeah it's getting a lot of great pub. It's just the fact that Manchester by the Sea and La La Land exist so...

Fitts

Not to not be a douche, yeah it's getting a lot of great pub. It's just the fact that Manchester by the Sea and La La Land exist so...

Nah, you're not a douche. I'm asking this question in a thread that I assume is populated by film buffs. (hence why it's worth asking here) I rarely watch TV and don't care to go to the cinema. (didn't go at all last year, last movie that got my business was Force Awakens, and before that was Fury Road) Sites like Rotten Tomatoes isn't always a reliable indicator of quality either.

Happy that it's doing well, though. The stuff I was texted looked great and I've always enjoyed Denzel's performances.

Dominator

Maybe, just maybe, those movies are better than Fences. Moonlight is getting significant recognition this season, and Fences is not being forgotten about. Viola will most likely win the Oscar for it. You seem to be pushing some sort of agenda against films with white people in them based off of your posts.

If that's not your intention then I'm sorry, but that's how its coming across.

I just got out of Fences, it was wonderful.

What is it with you and Manchester? Sad White People: the Movie is actually ridiculous. It's a better movie than Fences but because of the bias you have against it already your judgement will be skewed. La La Land and Manchester are better.

"Have you been living under a rock?" No. But you seem to be, and you seem to not want to crawl out.

LionPride

Banned
What is it with you and Manchester? Sad White People: the Movie is actually ridiculous. It's a better movie than Fences but because of the bias you have against it already your judgement will be skewed. La La Land and Manchester are better.

"Have you been living under a rock?" No. But you seem to be, and you seem to not want to crawl out.

I mentioned Manchester because it's a critically acclaimed movie. Jesus Christ. I may be hesitant to watch it, but I didn't even say anything negative this time. Calm ya tail down
bruh

Maybe, just maybe, those movies are better than Fences. Moonlight is getting significant recognition this season, and Fences is not being forgotten about. Viola will most likely win the Oscar for it. You seem to be pushing some sort of agenda against films with white people in them based off of your posts.

If that's not your intention then I'm sorry, but that's how its coming across.

I just got out of Fences, it was wonderful.

Oh they probably are, people I trust review wise love Fences and La La Land. Some like LLL more, some like Fences more. If anything I have a problem with people acting like things will change this Oscars just because of Oscars so White. Seeing movies like Moonlight and Fences exist and be successful makes me happy, but I don't think it'll culminate in Oscar Wins outside of Viola possibly.

Chumley

Banned
Nah, I don't think I've seen any of her "work" since Death Becomes Her. She wasn't great, tbh.

Sorry. I was a little excitable when I wrote that because I was taking a shit. Only it wasn't just my typical morning shit, it was performance art and I was fearful that Meryl Streep would judge me harshly with her keen critical eye.

You're a sad person and I feel bad for you.

I think Viola should definitely win the Oscar, and I'm pretty sure she's the front-runner. Aside from that, Denzel will get a nom and I think there's a chance it'll get a nom for adapted screenplay and best picture which it's definitely deserving of. Plus, everyone I know that's seen it (which includes a lot of non-movie buffs) loved it, so it's definitely been well received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom