• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globes 2017 Nominees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but no Hopkins and Wright for Westworld...? And they were both missing from the Critic's Choice Awards as well. At least Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton got nominated (and won the Critic's awards as well), but not seeing Hopkins especially in the nominations is utterly bizarre. IMO it was the finest performance on TV for me. This is as nutty to me as not crowning Eva Green best actress every year.

Crazy number of noms for La La Land. Very much looking forward to watching it.

Ridley327

If someone is anti-semitic I don't think he should be propped up for prestigious awards..but thats just me and my own damn sense of morality.

By all accounts, he's apologized a lot to the film community for his tirades and has been offering up outreach to anyone he might have impacted. He's cleaned up his act and he's been pretty open about how awful the whole experience has been for him. I kinda get when people want him do to a full-on public apology, but he's clearly been regretful and wanting to make amends.

Laieon

Sad to see "The Handmaiden" and/or "The Wailing" aren't nominated for best foreign film. Those were both fantastic.

Kinyou

Did not see that Gibson nomination coming
I'm sorry, but no Hopkins and Wright for Westworld...? And they were both missing from the Critic's Choice Awards as well. At least Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton got nominated (and won the Critic's awards as well), but not seeing Hopkins especially in the nominations is utterly bizarre. IMO it was the finest performance on TV for me. This is as nutty to me as not crowning Eva Green best actress every year.
Surprised by that as well. Hopkins and Wright were fantastic

Charamiwa

Banned
Isabelle Huppert is already sweeping the early awards this year for Elle. Wonder if it'll continue in 2017. I doubt it'll be the Academy's cup of tea.

Ridley327

No score nomination for Jackie is really weird to me.

Mica Levi is a little too out there for most voters, despite how already deserving she was for the amazing score for Under the Skin. Honestly, her score is the biggest reason why I'm excited for Jackie in the first place!

UberTag

Isabelle Huppert is already sweeping the early awards this year for Elle. Wonder if it'll continue in 2017. I doubt it'll be the Academy's cup of tea.
I would love for that momentum to continue but it seems far more likely they'll swing towards either Portman or include Stone in the inevitable La La Land juggernaut.

Kubo and the Two Strings should win but Hollywood has their nose up Disney/Pixar's ass I doubt they even watch any of the other nominated films in animated category.

Kubo and the Two Strings is phenomenal, but let's not pretend Moana or Zootopia don't also deserve the win too. Personally, I'd be happy if Kubo and the Two Strings or Moana won.

It's been a very strong year for animation!

Revolver

I guess I should give This Is Us a watch but it looks so corny to me.

Happy for Evan Rachel Wood and Newton as they were both fantastic. Lack of Hopkins seems like a pretty big snub though.

Aesthet1c

Stoked to see Sing Street getting some recognition! My favorite film of the year so far. La La Land will win the category, but still cool to see it there.

I guess I should give This Is Us a watch but it looks so corny to me.

Happy for Evan Rachel Wood and Newton as they were both fantastic. Lack of Hopkins seems like a pretty big snub though.

I was forced to watch an episode of This is Us last week, and it was pretty damn corny. Not sure if the whole series is, but the one I saw sure as hell was.

Wright should have gotten a nomination of Westworld, he sold the hell out of some scenes.

mcfrank

Mica Levi is a little too out there for most voters, despite how already deserving she was for the amazing score for Under the Skin. Honestly, her score is the biggest reason why I'm excited for Jackie in the first place!

It is really good and sets the tone for the movie from the opening second.

gforguava

Matthew Rhys deserves all the awards.

And it is going to be painfull seeing Caitriona Balfe, Keri Russell, and Evan Rachel Wood lose out to Winona Ryder.

I really don't think The Crown should be on that list. You can throw a shitload of money at the screen and make it look good but there's not much there underneath it all. Plenty of shows achieved more with less.

Revolver

I was forced to watch an episode of This is Us last week, and it was pretty damn corny. Not sure if the whole series is, but the one I saw sure as hell was.

Wright should have gotten a nomination of Westworld, he sold the hell out of some scenes.

The commercials sure make it look that way. Even my wife who usually goes for that kind of thing said it looked too saccharine.

Yeah, Wright should have at least gotten a nom. I guess Hopkins is kind of understandable since he was being his usual self but it was still a strong effort.

The Globes remind me once again Mozart in the Jungle exists. I see Monica Bellucci was in the latest season so I should probably give that show a shot for um... reasons.

Nice Guys getting snubbed for Deadpool is embarrassing.

Pretty solid nominees though. Love that hacksaw is getting nominated for a bunch of awards. Anyways give everything to moonlight and Manchester by the Sea

i hate the term "oscar bait" but what about LaLaLand is oscar bait?
oscar baits are usually big epic historic stuff about terrible periods of time like the holocaust or slavery and/or may center on a character with a physical or mental disability.

This is just a musical romcom with two normal people and it was a passion project from the director.

Exactly. The only obvious Oscar Baits so far are LION and that Birth of a Nation movie.

kevin1025

Banned
Nice Guys getting snubbed for Deadpool is embarrassing.

Pretty solid nominees though. Love that hacksaw is getting nominated for a bunch of awards. Anyways give everything to moonlight and Manchester by the Sea

Yep, I liked Deadpool but that beating out The Nice Guys or even The Lobster is super weird.

cLOUDo

I really like deadpool but a best picture's nomination?
Really?
Is kinda too much

What the hell with Hopkins, Wright and Ben foster.
They totally deserve the nomination

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Americans has nods to both actors but not the show itself? whut?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah?

Mr Robot is by far the worst TV show I've seen this year, and BCS is never really more than just all right.

Is Mr Robot really that bad? I thought S1 was okay for what it was. I watched a bit of S2 with the intention of going back but there was a bit with a guy talking about Seinfeld and realised the show was too self aware of its audience and it really put me off for some reason.

Quick

Banned
Deadpool in two major categories.

Goddamn.

giphy.gif

Sean C

"leading" vs "supporting" is so weird sometimes.

Thandie Newton and Lena Headey having to fight for a "supporting" actress award kinda rubs me the wrong way.
With a cast as big as game of thrones, i'm not sure where to draw the line between "leading" and "supporting".

But especially in Season 6, i do feel like she was absolutely the 'lead' to the Kings Landing arc.
Headey had only 17 minutes of screentime in Season 6. Which is on the low end for her, but it just shows that none of the actors in GOT, not even Dinklage, get enough screentime to compare with lead actors on other shows.

How are the odds for Evan Rachel Wood?
The HFPA really likes going for new stuff, so I'd say it's between her and Claire Foy.

I'm glad that Gina Rodriguez and Rachel Bloom got nominated again. It's great that the HFPA recognizes the CW, even if the Emmys won't.

shira

Damn Sing Street and Arrival and La La Land for Movies
Westworld and Stranger Things and Atlanta for TV

Is Mr Robot really that bad? I thought S1 was okay for what it was. I watched a bit of S2 with the intention of going back but there was a bit with a guy talking about Seinfeld and realised the show was too self aware of its audience and it really put me off for some reason.

Season 2 is polarizing. If that alone put you off, I'd imagine you're probably not gonna enjoy it.

Sean C

i think people's main issue was it being rather one note. I think people would have appreciate some kind of arc / nuance to her character. From ep 1, all the way to 10 she portrayed the same "everyone thinks i'm crazy but i'm not. please please, you of all people HAVE to believe me. I know i'm not crazy" person.
She portrayed exactly what the writing called for.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Nice to see that The Crown got recognized. It's an amazing show.

JTripper

How is La La Land? Didn't take notice of it till recently, and I do like them musicals.

It's my personal favorite of the year (though I haven't seen some of the other films nominated, including Moonlight).

Everything about the film is really wonderfully done. It's got everything a musical should have and more if you're looking for a good story and great visuals too.

jett

D-Member
Westworld was enjoyable but nothing too amazing, watch it win best drama.

Worst TV show you've seen all year? Lmao, okay.

Well it's not like I go around watching garbage.

A cataclysmic drop in quality. In summary, it's just excruciatingly boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom