• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globes 2017 Nominees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
"leading" vs "supporting" is so weird sometimes.

Thandie Newton and Lena Headey having to fight for a "supporting" actress award kinda rubs me the wrong way.

How is Cersei the leading character in Game of Thrones?

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah, really shocked not to see Hopkins in there for actor and Wright for supporting actor.

Thrilled to see Wood and Newton in there, though!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wright and/or Hopkins nominated for Emmy's. The Globes are always a bit weird.

Fliesen

How is Cersei the leading character in Game of Thrones?

With a cast as big as game of thrones, i'm not sure where to draw the line between "leading" and "supporting".

But especially in Season 6, i do feel like she was absolutely the 'lead' to the Kings Landing arc.
Would you consider Daenerys to be the only leading female role on the show, then?

Same goes for Newton in Westworld, imho.

Aiii

So not worth it
With a cast as big as game of thrones, i'm not sure where to draw the line between "leading" and "supporting".

But especially in Season 6, i do feel like she was absolutely the 'lead' to the Kings Landing arc.
Would you consider Daenerys to be the only leading female role on the show, then?

Same goes for Newton in Westworld, imho.

Ensemble show means there is no leading character. I wouldn't consider anyone the leading character, that's kind of the point.

Phinor

yet still no love for Ben Foster. The guy will break out one day.

I watched Six Feet Under earlier this year and I must have spent hours in IMDB and other sites to confirm that it is indeed Ben Foster in that show. Recently watched Hell or High Water and it just double confirmed what we already knew, he's really good at his job. He will get nominated sooner or later.

Kubo and the Two Strings should win but Hollywood has their nose up Disney/Pixar's ass I doubt they even watch any of the other nominated films in animated category.
I haven't seen Moana, but Kubo was significantly better than Zootopia. It's a shame that you can't seem to win that if you don't have the Disney name.

Lion looks pretty bad. Are the trailers just terrible, or is this another case of a movie only being in the running because of Harvey Weinstein?

I agree. Just watched the trailer...people call La La Land "Oscar Bait" when this exists?

Also, why is The Americans not nominated ? :/
Hope the actors at least win

marrec

Banned
Hell or High Water is a very good film and I'm glad it's getting a nom here.

Poor Laika making their best movie in the middle of two really good (well, one really good and one just good) Disney movies is a shame too. Kubo should win, but it'll be Zootopia or Moana.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Atlanta should win comedy. Did not expect to see Deadpool nominated.

Anth0ny

DEADPOOL LETS GO

giphy.gif

I agree. Just watched the trailer...people call La La Land "Oscar Bait" when this exists?

Also, why is The Americans not nominated ? :/
Hope the actors at least win

i hate the term "oscar bait" but what about LaLaLand is oscar bait?
oscar baits are usually big epic historic stuff about terrible periods of time like the holocaust or slavery and/or may center on a character with a physical or mental disability.

This is just a musical romcom with two normal people and it was a passion project from the director.

Fliesen

Ensemble show means there is no leading character. I wouldn't consider anyone the leading character, that's kind of the point.

ok, so it's a glass half full / half empty kind of thing.

I'd consider the show to have multiple leading characters ;)

But i just checked - Actors/actresses in GoT were always just nominated in the "supporting" category, so i guess my definition is off.
I still find it weird. I think GoT Season 6 had 2 female leads (daenerys and cersei), one male lead (Jon Snow).

But alas, the Globes see it differently. It's a shame that great performances in great shows have to fight for scraps, just because the drama of the show deals with a wider base of characters instead of just one.

edit: meh, Desperate housewives had 3(!) nominations for actress in a leading role. (yes, the 'supporting role' award existed back then, in case anyone wonders)

UberTag

Lion looks pretty bad. Are the trailers just terrible, or is this another case of a movie only being in the running because of Harvey Weinstein?
The latter. It's emotionally manipulative tripe. Nicole Kidman is the only good thing about it... and that's entirely due to one brief scene towards the end of the movie.

Kayhan

I can't wrap my head around Hopkins and Wright not being nominated for Westworld.

Standout performances even if you include film.

Evan Rachel Wood better win hers though.

Good to see Westworld and Stranger Things getting the respect they deserve after so many TV reviewers were too snobby to include sci-fi shows on their top lists.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nothing at all for the Gilmore Girls actresses, super. Lauren Graham, Kelly Bishop and Liza Weil all did great work.

Gina Rodriguez for best Comedy Actress.

Down to see Atlanta and Donald Glover topple Transparent and Veep.

Movies are still a thing? Who cares about those.

Powercast

The Night Of not being nominated shows how completely out of touch are these kind of awards, not only it was the best tv series of the year by far (sorry Stranger Things) but it had the best cinematography I have ever seen on a TV show.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw it was nominated for best mini-series haha, good.

Happy to Florence Foster Jenkins get some love.
That movie is hilarious and extremely entertaining.
That and Arrival were two of my favorite this year.

Also hope Courtney Vance wins best Actor (miniseries).
He was outstanding in the People vs OJ

*looks at other nominated animated films*

Deserved nomination for exposing the country to CG bunny twerking in a commercial.

ZeroX03

Banned
The Night Of not being nominated shows how completely out of touch are these kind of awards, not only it was the best tv series of the year by far (sorry Stranger Things) but it had the best cinematography I have ever seen on a TV show.

Best TV Miniseries or Movie
American Crime
The Dresser
The Night Manager
The Night Of
The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

?

I would have thought Viola would be in the lead actress catogory, but its probably a better shot for her to win Natalie is looking primed to win this year.

UberTag

Dev Patel is a supporting actor in his own movie? Or did I fail to grasp what the movie was about based on the marketing? (His face is on the posters, etc.)
The first half of the movie is largely focused around the child version of his character getting separated from his brother and getting lost on the streets of India.

The Google Earth commercial and emotionally manipulative ending that focuses entirely around Dev kicks off afterwards.

Kubo and the Two Strings should win but Hollywood has their nose up Disney/Pixar's ass I doubt they even watch any of the other nominated films in animated category.
The best hope is that the voting bases split and Kubo comes up through the middle. Would have been even likelier had Finding Dory made the cut. Unfortunately, the support seems to be coalescing around Zootopia (which is the best of the three Disney/Pixar films and a deserved front-runner) so I suspect that momentum will carry the day. That... and most of the voters will not have watched Kubo.

Spat_triate

Wow La La Land with the sweep.

Westworld!! Jeffrey Wright (Bernard) and Anthony Hopkins should both be on that list somewhere.

Can we start making memes of Amy Adams not getting an Oscar like we did for Leo?

she'll will be most likely 0-6 after this year. Leo's 1-5.

Aiii

So not worth it
ok, so it's a glass half full / half empty kind of thing.

It'd consider the show to have multiple leading characters ;)

But i just checked - Actors/actresses in GoT were always just nominated in the "supporting" category, so i guess my definition is off.
I still find it weird. I think GoT Season 6 had 2 female leads (daenerys and cersei), one male lead (Jon Snow).

But alas, the Globes see it differently. It's a shame that great performances in great shows have to fight for scraps, just because the drama of the show works with a wider base of characters instead of just one.

edit: meh, Desperate housewives had 3(!) nominations for actress in a leading role. (yes, the 'supporting role' award existed back then, in case anyone wonders)

The Globes don't decide this, it's the networks who send in considerations for shows. Which is why sometimes a drama ends up being nominated as a comedy, and also why this happens. In this case, one would assume GoT considers nobody a leading character and sends in everyone as supporting. Alternatively, they consider there will be less competition in the supporting slot.

Fliesen

The Globes don't decide this, it's the networks who send in considerations for shows. Which is why sometimes a drama ends up being nominated as a comedy, and also why this happens. In this case, one would assume GoT considers nobody a leading character and sends in everyone as supporting. Alternatively, they consider there will be less competition in the supporting slot.

gotcha, thanks for the info :)

blakep267

Happy to see Atlanta get some noms. Although I feel that Paperboi and Darius are better in the show than Donald's Glovers character

Also No Jeffrey wright or hopkins(to a lesser extent) isn't right. I kinda felt that Hopkins was phoning it in and just being his normal creepy character but he stil did a great job.

KodaRuss

Wow at Deadpool. Very cool

Surprised to see Slater nominated for Mr Robot, does the second season ever get better? I was about 4-5 episodes in and couldnt take it any more.

Hoping anything Hacksaw Ridge and Atlanta related wins. Mel Gibson, Donald Glover and Andrew Garfield deserves it BIG TIME.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom