• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Globes 2017 Nominees

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Is Mr Robot really that bad? I thought S1 was okay for what it was. I watched a bit of S2 with the intention of going back but there was a bit with a guy talking about Seinfeld and realised the show was too self aware of its audience and it really put me off for some reason.

I really enjoyed S2 but there was a quality drop if you came to Mr. Robot for anything at all grounded in a real world.

Who would have thought Deadpool would be the first superhero film to be nominated for best picture? lol

It's not really a best picture nomination

Keep in mind bro that these are the same awards and category which included gems like Into the Woods, The Tourist and Alice in Wonderland lol

Pretty happy sing street made it in but nice guys was snubbed. Deadpool shouldn't have got in over it

Prompto

Banned

Keep in mind bro that these are the same awards and category which included gems like Into the Woods, The Tourist and Alice in Wonderland lol

Pretty happy sing street made it in but nice guys was snubbed. Deadpool shouldn't have got in over it
Didn't The Martian win best comedy last year too? lol
Yeah that category is usually pretty bad.

Lothar

Banned
Fuck out of here with Westworld getting a nom over Saul or The Americans

I'm going through Westworld right now. It's amazing. Almost every second of Saul this season bored me except for the Mike parts. There were a good final two episodes in BCS but it was mostly just very mundane. What do you see in BCS?

kswiston

So I guess La La Land's cleaning up.

The Comedy/musical category is usually a big fish in a small pond scenario where only 1 or 2 films have a shot at winning anything.

EDIT: Last year 4 of the 5 Golden Globe best drama nominees were nominated for best picture in the Academy Awards. Only 2 of the Best comedy/musical nominees received a nod at the academy awards.

It was even worse in the acting department. Only Damon and Lawrence from the Golden Globe Comedy/Musical best actor nominees got a Academy Award nomination. 7 of the 10 academy Award nominees in those two acting categories were nominated for best actor/actress in a drama at the Golden Globes. Charlotte Rampling was recognized by the Academy Awards but not the Golden Globes.

Cipherr

Issa Rae, Insecure

I was seriously wondering if she would show up anywhere. Its not really my kind of show, but holy shit was this show popular among all my friends. The fucking raved about the finale and the guy with the BestBuy shirt and whatnot.

J_Viper

I'm going through Westworld right now. It's amazing. Almost every second of Saul this season bored me except for the Mike parts. There were a good final two episodes in BCS but it was mostly just very mundane. What do you see in BCS?

Great writing and even better acting. I find Saul to be a better crafted show in every regard.

The last two episodes of Westworld delivered, but almost everything between those and the pilot was trash. There was also an abundance of rotten dialogue and acting scattered throughout the show.

Rachel Wood and Jeffery Wright were the standouts, everyone else was either on auto-pilot, or god awful (like Logan and almost everyone who worked at the corporation)

Cool concept, for sure, but poor execution.

i think people's main issue was it being rather one note. I think people would have appreciate some kind of arc / nuance to her character. From ep 1, all the way to 10 she portrayed the same "everyone thinks i'm crazy but i'm not. please please, you of all people HAVE to believe me. I know i'm not crazy" person.
I strongly disagree. Her role didn't allow for a lot of variation in behaviors and yet I still think she crushed it and also brought some nuance where needed. I can't speak to whether she should get the win since I haven't yet seen some of the competing actresses roles, but Winona definitely earned that nom, in my opinion.

Amazing year for television, pretty terrible year for movies. Seen every TV show except for This is Us, Mozart, Transparent, Crown but the only movies I've seen from the list Deadpool and Arrival and the only other one I might see is La La Land.

Wanderer5

It's my personal favorite of the year (though I haven't seen some of the other films nominated, including Moonlight).

Everything about the film is really wonderfully done. It's got everything a musical should have and more if you're looking for a good story and great visuals too.

Yeah looks looks to be right up my alley. The visual definitely looks nice, with some nice usage of colors judging from the trailers.

styl3s

Didn't The Martian win best comedy last year too? lol
Yeah that category is usually pretty bad.
Yeah i was just about to post that this is the same award show that not only put The Martian in best Musical/Comedy but Matt won best actor in Musical/Comedy The Martian which yes has humor but is a drama.

Not that i think award shows mean anything to begin with but i stopped giving a shit about Golden Globes after he won that. I'll probably just stick with the Emmy's/Oscars as a fun party/get together thing.

The last two episodes of Westworld delivered, but almost everything between those and the pilot was trash. There was also an abundance of rotten dialogue and acting scattered throughout the show.

I can't agree with this. The pilot and final two episodes sucked too.

overcast

Edge of Seventeen and Steinfeld were robbed in the respective comedy categories.

Not to mention The Nice Guys. Surprised there is no recognition for Silence

hydruxo

Millie Bobby Brown got snubbed big time IMO. I thought Winona was great but Millie deserved a nomination for her performance as Eleven.

Ridley327

Edge of Seventeen and Steinfeld were robbed in the respective comedy categories.

Not to mention The Nice Guys. Surprised there is no recognition for Silence

Steinfeld is up for Best Actress - Comedy or Musical though?

I really am glad to see her get more recognition.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
No Hopkins?

How the fuck possible?

He'd be in for Supporting Actor, and for TV shows the supporting categories don't get broken down further. He would be up against all of the supporting actors for mini-series, TV Movies, Dramas and Comedies. It's a pretty stacked category.

Idk, this set of nominations is actually kinda ridiculous to me. I mean...really?

No Swiss Army Man, no the Nice Guys, no Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Instead we have Deadpool which is one of the most overrated movies ever. Not saying it's bad but cmon...nominated for a Golden Globe? Have more faith in the Oscars this year.

Still need to see Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea. About to watch Hell or High Water right now. Oh, and Nocturnal Animals.

Arrival is amazing and Adams should win. Renner should've been nominated too, or at least Forest Whittaker. Hacksaw is fucking great too and I hope Mel wins because he deserves it. People need to learn to separate the art from the person and luckily the Globes were able to do that this year. Garfield for best Lead Actor.

Gnome

I would totally have removed Deadpool, or any of their best comedy choices, to get Nice Guys nominated instead.

I know one of those Disney films are going to win the Animated Award, but Kubo is probably the best animated film I can remember seeing in a long time.

shira

Didn't realize it was so soon

Go Arrival, Lalaland

t1483923600z4.png

TheFlow

Banned

Oo deadpool vs nice guys is a tough call. Both deserving for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom