• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 74th Annual Golden Globes |OT| *laughs at own joke and ruffles Mel Gibson's hair*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Casey Affleck's performances in The Assassination of Jesse James, Gone Baby Gone, and Manchester by the Sea have all been easily some of the best performances of their respective years. Really underrated actor, IMO.

Jesse James is so good.

Gonna have to rewatch it soon.

DrBo42

Best part about Manchester is how subdued Affleck's performance is. Maybe that's a lack of ability or a purposeful choice but it's realistic for that type of guy from Boston. Came off more honest and less like someone trying to perform and ultimately sells it better IMO.

LionPride

Banned
Well you're wrong, so go see it.

Its definitely a sad film, but since when does that disqualify it from being great?
Yeah I get tired of seeing Sad White People act for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Dude, no... Manchester by the Sea is a movie anyone can relate to. Especially those dealing with severe grief. Pre-judging it like that isn't right. It's a great film and Casey Affleck (for all his supposed personal issues) is thoroughly excellent in it.

listen feel me out fam. In the Movie OT I was hands down the biggest doubter of Manchester being worth a damn, but man was I wrong.

think I shed more tears than moonlight. I can't spoil but some scenes will floor you.

you already know I am black as well, so there are some things we will laugh out like how the kids get away with cursing so much in the movie. That being said watch while you can
Aight, I may watch it eventually

It isn't.

Both it and Moonlight transcend race. Brilliant films about human beings first and foremost.
I'm watching Moonlight as it is my duty as a black young gentleman to watch any great movie starring us. It doesn't hurt I love film and would watch it regardless.

Chumley

Banned
Best part about Manchester is how subdued Affleck's performance is. Maybe that's a lack of ability or a purposeful choice but it's realistic for that type of guy from Boston. Came off more honest and less like someone trying to perform.

That scene with Williams... Best acted two-hander of 2016 by far.

Dominator

Yeah I get tired of seeing Sad White People act for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Would you be saying this if the story was told with an entirely black cast? I'm just trying to understand if you're problem with the movie is the cast is white..?

The film displays human emotion and how people deal with loss. Their race is irrelevant.

Also if you love film like you say you do, you should watch Manchester.

p2535748

Casey Affleck's performances in The Assassination of Jesse James, Gone Baby Gone, and Manchester by the Sea have all been easily some of the best performances of their respective years. Really underrated actor, IMO.

Very true. Whatever his personal issues, he's had some fantastic performances.

The thing about Manchester by the Sea is it has a number of people giving the best performances of their career. Affleck, Kyle Chandler, Michelle Williams, Gretchen Mol, Lucas Hedges, even Matthew Broderick. Everyone is fantastic in it.

There are like five scenes in that movie that I can't get out of my head. Even the small scenes, like buying the furniture for the apartment or Chandler and Affleck saying goodbye outside the house are just wonderfully made. It's not flashy, but it's brilliant.

LionPride

Banned
Would you be saying this if the story was told with an entirely black cast? I'm just trying to understand if you're problem with the movie is the cast is white..?

The film displays human emotion and how people deal with loss. Their race is irrelevant.

Also if you love film like you say you do, you should watch Manchester.

Wearing narrow-mindedness as some kind of badge of honor isn't something to be proud of.

When it comes to watching movies, there are a lot of movies that are just sad white people being sad with differing degrees of performances. This gets boring after a while. So come late 2016, I'm burnt out as heck on those type of movies because I've either watched them in theatres, or I'm catching up on movies I need to watch through the year.

So no, it's not inherently because the cast is white. It's because I see this throughout the year. I may watch it, but I ain't gonna rush out and see it. I need to be in a specific mood to be able to watch sad stuff.

WHY DID NO ONE JUST SAY KYLE CHANDLER IS IN THE MOVIE?!?!

overcast

Lion Pride.. you're being willfully ignorant though. You've had numerous people explain to you why it's such a good movie and you keep parading around calling it "sad white people: the movie", like it's clever and not a severe over simplification of a fantastic movie.

There are plenty of stories told multiple times. A movie about loss which happens to star white actors is a vague description and ignoring the brilliance in the small details.

LionPride

Banned
Lion Pride.. you're being willfully ignorant though. You've had numerous people explain to you why it's such a good movie and you keep parading around calling it "sad white people: the movie", like it's clever and not a severe over simplification of a fantastic movie.

There are plenty of stories told multiple times. A movie about loss which happens to star white actors is a vague description and ignoring the brilliance in the small details.

And I've said twice on this very page that I will watch the movie. I am not attempting to be clever, I am simplifying Manchester by the Sea and movies that are also what I will and always have called Sad White People: The Movie for the fact that as I stated earlier, by then end of the year I'm tired of seeing it and it has to be out of this world phenomenal for me to give it the time of day.

DrBo42

Michelle was very good in that scene but Viola blew her out of the water in Fences imo. but Viola is a once in a generation actress and is up there with the Streeps of the world.

Agreed. Williams bit there gained strength from being unexpected IMO. You go into Fences absolutely knowing that Denzel and Viola are going to kill it. It's not even a question.

Bladenic

Random question but having not seen Fences, why was Viola Davis submitted for Supporting Actress and not lead? Was it just a case of the studio thinking she had better chances or was her role truly more supporting instead of co-leading with Denzel? Just wondering.

Chumley

Banned
Michelle was very good in that scene but Viola blew her out of the water in Fences imo. but Viola is a once in a generation actress and is up there with the Streeps of the world.

Agreed, but I mentioned it more so for Affleck.
The way he cracks - "There's nothing" was just so heartbreaking. One of the few moments, maybe even the only one, where we see what's going on inside.

Rainy

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of backlash against how many awards LLL won, at least on twitter, wonder if it will impact it as award season goes on.

Random question but having not seen Fences, why was Viola Davis submitted for Supporting Actress and not lead? Was it just a case of the studio thinking she had better chances or was her role truly more supporting instead of co-leading with Denzel? Just wondering.
Have not seen the film but this is not an uncommon practice. An example I recall well was Kate Winslet getting nominated and winning best supporting at the Globes for The Reader in 2008.

Chumley

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of backlash against how many awards LLL won, at least on twitter, wonder if it will impact it as award season goes on.

After last year, there is no way in hell it's sweeping like that for the Oscars. Barry Jenkins will win best director and Denzel has a chance at upsetting Affleck for actor. Viola Davis will also probably win best leading actress instead of supporting. Moonlight for best film is a lock and it's kind of a toss up between it and Manchester for best original screenplay.

After last year, there is no way in hell it's sweeping like that for the Oscars. Barry Jenkins will win best director and Denzel has a chance at upsetting Affleck for actor. Viola Davis will also probably win best leading actress instead of supporting.
Viola submitted for best actress. it sucks since she's the best performance of the year but she really wanted a damn oscar.

The Academy will not let OscarsSoWhite happen again. Mahershala and Viola are definitely winning. Barry or Moonlight will win the big awards too.

Chumley

Banned
Viola submitted for best actress. it sucks since she's the best performance of the year but she really wanted a damn oscar.

The Academy will not let OscarsSoWhite happen again. Mahershala and Viola are definitely winning. Barry or Moonlight will win the big awards too.

Mahershala and Viola winning but Affleck taking best actor actually seems like the most likely outcome now that I think about it.

HeelPower

Manchester by the Sea 2016
★★★★★
Hands down one of the saddest and most heartbreaking movies I have watched in my life. I knew it was just a movie but that couldn't stop me from tearing up and feeling for the characters. Probably the only movie that can compete with Moonlight for best drama of 2016.

so yea I am totally fine with Manchester winning.

Manchester is critically flawed & wasted potential imo.

Focusing on that non-character of a teenager and ignoring the other major player in the story,Michelle Williams, was a huge mistake.

Could have been a movie for the ages had it developed M.Williams properly and given her more interaction with Affleck on screen.

SURGEdude

I kinda love that someone, anyone, called out football and MMA for being terrible.

While I didn't like her framing, because athletics are absolutely art and artful, I do agree with her sentiment. An emphasis on brutality and power seems to have infected outside of the realms where it should reside.

I wish she had made the distinction she seemed to feel come across more clearly. The way it was presented was too subtle that it left the door open to misunderstanding.

faridmon

Am I the only one who is baffled that Micheal Shannon is not nominated for the best supp let alone another guy wining it who is in the same movie?

Micheal Shannon stole that film.

Nibel

llkIDYz.png

BLACKLAC

Am I the only one who is baffled that Micheal Shannon is not nominated for the best supp let alone another guy wining it who is in the same movie?

Micheal Shannon stole that film.

Shannon didn't steal a damn thing, Aaron deserved the nom more than him. If anyone was robbed it was Mahershala Ali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom