• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joaquin Phoenix?

I honestly think that he is the best actor of his generation. Seeing the Master and Her back to back is like watching a masterclass in transformational acting.

Then again I never got into the Leo for the Oscar -hype. I think that he is a great actor and would've deserved the statue for Arnie Grape and his work in Basketball Diaries, but I don't think of Oscars as true indicators of an actor's talent. It's an entertaining, but ultimately meaningless gala. If they would reward actors only for their bodies of work instead of single performances... But I digress.

I am happy for Leo, but more so for the speech he gave. I think that opportunity meant more for him than the statue.

I think, as good as Oldman is, his best performance was the one he got nominated for. Probably could have been nommed for a few more. Sid and Nancy in particular.

I think I'm pretty uncommon in thinking Tinker Tailor is a legitimate masterpiece though.

JB1981

I love this kid :D

YEmj3sM.jpg

He should have been nominated. He was wonderful in Room.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Thinking about it my favorite moment last night was Iñárritu's pissy look when Fury Road won costume design and he realized Revenant wasn't going to sweep the awards.

I lol'd when they reached The Revenant during the nominations. Not saying it's not deserving, but after seeing all noms with lush period costumes, then you see a haggard Leo in animal fur. It was pretty funny.

Maxim726X

I've said it before but I think Doubt was better than Spotlight on the subject and it didn't even receive any nominations the year it was eligible. Great performances from Streep, Philip Seymor Hoffman and Amy Adams.

Doubt was a much better movie, I agree.

Just thinking about the top three this year to the top three last year... Whiplash, Birdman, and Boyhood.

Not a great year for movies overall.

Ahiru77

Well, Leo won. It is what it is I guess.
tF7vxtl.gif

You know, having followed most of the Oscar discussions/forum/interviews, there was a lot of snark and back-handed comments towards the nominees. It saddens me that people rather regard the nominees as "they favorite joke" or "our pity/charity" than to just truly describe their art. It wasn't really like this a few years ago for the Emmy's. Back then we genuinely were in awe of a persons performance. We enthusiastically discussed the possible wins and without cynicism. Someone made our hearts beat faster.

I hope that happens for the Oscars too in the future.

Not sure if already posted, but Sly won where it counts:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCWwbsGjcT6/

So awesome! Sylvester has got to be touched by his message.

Blader

I've said it before but I think Doubt was better than Spotlight on the subject and it didn't even receive any nominations the year it was eligible. Great performances from Streep, Philip Seymor Hoffman and Amy Adams.

I thought Doubt was too histrionic. And the very very end is so bad.

Bronx-Man

Banned
How Mad Max wins those categories and not Director is astounding. Inarritu wins because... reasons.
Dude has outright said he makes movies with the goal of winning awards in mind. Though I'm not surprised about the decision because Fury Road is the complete opposite of an Oscar Bait flick.

I would recommend watching Calvary, excellent movie dealing with the same issue.

Schryver

How come Morricones Oscar history looks like this:

Code:
Year	Director	   Project	    Category	         Result
1979	Terrence Malick	   Days of Heaven   Best Original Score	 Nominated
1986	Roland Joffé	   The Mission	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
1987	Brian De Palma	   The Untouchables Best Original Score	 Nominated
1991	Barry Levinson	   Bugsy	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2000	Giuseppe Tornatore Malèna	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2007	Honorary Academy Award	                                 Won
2016	Quentin Tarantino The Hateful Eight Best Original Score	 Won

where are all his Westerns? The Thing? Once upon a Time in America?
Was reading his Wikipedia last night and apparently the studio fucked up the application for Once Upon a Time in America and it was disqualified or something 0.o

brau

Was reading his Wikipedia last night and apparently the studio fucked up the application for Once Upon a Time in America and it was disqualified or something 0.o

Been a long time fan of Morricone. He is a legend, and its crazy to see that he was not recognized here way before. So many good scores. Very few people come close to his work imo, and he set a standard with his work early in his career.

Also, i didn't know that he actually composed a score for the Hateful 8. With Tarantino i woudl've thought he would just take samples from previous Morricone like he has in his previous movies. Now im more excited to see Hateful 8.

------------------
On another note... now that the thread calmed down and my post will not go overlooked. What was with that gif of that woman giving a look to Inarritu and Inarritu looking super upset?

How come Morricones Oscar history looks like this:

Code:
Year	Director	   Project	    Category	         Result
1979	Terrence Malick	   Days of Heaven   Best Original Score	 Nominated
1986	Roland Joffé	   The Mission	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
1987	Brian De Palma	   The Untouchables Best Original Score	 Nominated
1991	Barry Levinson	   Bugsy	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2000	Giuseppe Tornatore Malèna	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2007	Honorary Academy Award	                                 Won
2016	Quentin Tarantino The Hateful Eight Best Original Score	 Won

where are all his Westerns? The Thing? Once upon a Time in America?

untouchables and the thing are my favorite non-leone soundtracks from him so i'm glad at least one of them got nominated. pretty bizarre how the westerns got snubbed though. good bad and ugly theme is fucking iconic wtf.

untouchables theme is great though for sure

zma1013

Source? I'm not challenging you or anything, just super curious about it since that confirms what I've always thought about Inarritu.

I think the ending shot to The Revenant confirms it. I half expected text to pop up on screen and say, "For your consideration for best actor, Leonardo Dicaprio."

But yes I would like to see where he says this also.

taoofjord

Really surprised Rylance won an Oscar for Bridge of Spies. I love the man, his acting in Wolf Hall is damn near peerless but Bridge of Spies was a disappointment that left him with very little screen time and not much to do... even though he made the most of it.

Ridley327

Been a long time fan of Morricone. He is a legend, and its crazy to see that he was not recognized here way before. So many good scores. Very few people come close to his work imo, and he set a standard with his work early in his career.

Also, i didn't know that he actually composed a score for the Hateful 8. With Tarantino i woudl've thought he would just take samples from previous Morricone like he has in his previous movies. Now im more excited to see Hateful 8.

------------------
On another note... now that the thread calmed down and my post will not go overlooked. What was with that gif of that woman giving a look to Inarritu and Inarritu looking super upset?

That was the costume designer for Mad Max: Fury Road, walking down the aisle to get on stage to accept her award. I guess Iñárritu was starting to feel salty at that point with Fury Road winning in a lot of categories that The Revenant was also nominated for.

brau

That was the costume designer for Mad Max: Fury Road, walking down the aisle to get on stage to accept her award. I guess Iñárritu was starting to feel salty at that point with Fury Road winning in a lot of categories that The Revenant was also nominated for.

Ah.. for some reason i thought there was more to the story. That look from her and his stare down was pretty great.

I really wanted to see Mad Max win best director. but i have not seen the Revenant yet. His movies are pretty solid usually.

Thanks for the reply. Since i didn't get to watch the oscars a lot of what was going on seemed to go without context haha.

Angry Fork

I wish the oscars weren't so uptight about what kinds of films win awards. Mad Max never had a chance for best director/picture because 9 times out of 10 those awards have to be given to some "important" drama. Not only that but the revenant dude already has oscars, just give it to Miller damn. Oh well. At least all the technical people and crew got their due.

I wish the oscars weren't so uptight about what kinds of films win awards. Mad Max never had a chance for best director/picture because 9 times out of 10 those awards have to be given to some "important" drama. Not only that but the revenant dude already has oscars, just give it to Miller damn. Oh well.

miller already got one when happy feet won, it's not like he's starved for one out there.

that said, his wife brought one home so now they can start using them as chess pieces

cyba89

I wish the oscars weren't so uptight about what kinds of films win awards. Mad Max never had a chance for best director/picture because 9 times out of 10 those awards have to be given to some "important" drama. Not only that but the revenant dude already has oscars, just give it to Miller damn. Oh well. At least all the technical people and crew got their due.

You complain the Oscars are too much about politics and then say Iñárritu should not get an Oscar because he already got one.

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt Spotlight the Best Picture winner with the least amount of Oscars won (besides the BP one) with just one?

I'll never get the logic behind this award. They gave it to the film with just best adapted screenplay but not to the one with best actor, director and cinematography? Or to the film with double the amount of Oscars as the next best film with 6 (MAD MAX)? Hell Mad Max had three times as many Oscars in the night as Spotlight including their BP one.

I'm not saying Spotlight isnt great, Im just trying to make sense of the Academy's logic.

The fact that they just couldnt give such an award to an action blockbuster like Mad Max out of sheer principle is something I can't deny as impossible. Its as if they went "wait, which of the other regular Oscar bait movies is there thats making a controversial statement and is a period piece based on a true story?

brau

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt Spotlight the Best Picture winner with the least amount of Oscars won (besides the BP one) with just one?

I'll never get the logic behind this award. They gave it to the film with just best adapted screenplay but not to the one with best actor, director and cinematography? Or to the film with double the amount of Oscars as the next best film with 6 (MAD MAX)? Hell Mad Max had three times as many Oscars in the night as Spotlight including their BP one.

I'm not saying Spotlight isnt great, Im just trying to make sense of the Academy's logic.

The fact that they just couldnt give such an award to an action blockbuster like Mad Max out of sheer principle is something I can't deny as impossible. Its as if they went "wait, which of the other regular Oscar bait movies is there thats making a controversial statement and is a period piece based on a true story?

I always thought that a movie that dominates a lot of oscars would end up winning best picture. If the sum of its parts are recognized to be the best, obviously the movie should be the best movie.

Its a weird notion.

I just recently watched Spotlight. I thought it was a provocative piece and very interesting. But it seems they gave it the Oscar because of its nature rather than the sum of its parts.

Not saying its wrong or the movie doesn't deserve it. but its an interesting thing to happen.

The last time the BP winner had one other Oscar was the Greatest Show on Earth back in 1952.

And the way the Oscars vote in preferential ballot favors a film like Spotlight. Its the least-hated movie. Nobody HATES Spotlight like some people hate The Big Short, The Revenant, Fury Road, etc. Its a good movie, about an important subject, with a great ensemble, that anybody can watch and appreciate.

Spotlight winning is probably the biggest travesty since Forrest Gump beat out The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction.

Spotlight, a basic, no frills procedural, won over something as ambitious, well executed, and skillfully crafted as Mad Max and the Revenant based almost solely on its subject matter.

We might as well start nominating episodes of Law and Order and CSI alongside movies at this point becuase clearly all the craft that goes into making movies no longer matters.

Parch

I think the ending shot to The Revenant confirms it. I half expected text to pop up on screen and say, "For your consideration for best actor, Leonardo Dicaprio."
There were times during Revenant where I was rolling eyes because I thought a scene was unnecessarily long because they were intentionally trying to make it look dramatic. That never happened in any other movie I saw this year.

He might not have said it, but I think it's pretty obvious that he makes films with the intent of going for an oscar. Combined with the marketing hype after the film is released, The Revenant is just dripping with oscar politics.

Spotlight winning is probably the biggest travesty since Forrest Gump beat out The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction.

Spotlight, a basic, no frills procedural, won over something as ambitious, well executed, and skillfully crafted as Mad Max and the Revenant based almost solely on its subject matter.

We might as well start nominating episodes of Law and Order and CSI alongside movies at this point becuase clearly all the craft that goes into making movies no longer matters.

I know we all have different opinions and all and I respect that, but goddamn I don't even understand this. So The Revenant is a "skillfully crafted" movie while Spotlight, which is a straightforward but remarkably well done piece, is a fucking Law and Order episode? This reads like a parody of Inarritu's target audience.

cyba89

The amount of awards in each individual category doesn't really say too much about the overall quality of the whole film. I'm not saying politics are not involved (because obviously they are) but a movie is more than just a sum of it's parts.

If you can't tell the difference between Spotlight and an episode of CSI you probably don't have too much clue about the craft that goes into making movies.

]The last time the BP winner had one other Oscar was the Greatest Show on Earth back in 1952.[/B]

And the way the Oscars vote in preferential ballot favors a film like Spotlight. Its the least-hated movie. Nobody HATES Spotlight like some people hate The Big Short, The Revenant, Fury Road, etc. Its a good movie, about an important subject, with a great ensemble, that anybody can watch and appreciate.

Well ain't that interesting!

He's not even the first openly gay Oscar winner for Best Song! Smith needs to get way the fuck back in line behind Elton John.
Oh man, I'm reading an article. Says here that Sam Smith was informed that he was not the first gay person to win an Oscar, told of the likes of Elton John, Melissa Etheridge, Stephen Sondeim and lyricist of "Part of our World" and "Beauty and the Beast" Howard Ashman. Smith proceeded to not know Ashman died in the early 90's of aids and joked they should date.

Ridley327

Oh man, I'm reading an article. Says here that Sam Smith was informed that he was not the first gay person to win an Oscar, told of the likes of Elton John, Melissa Etheridge, Stephen Sondeim and lyricist of "Part of our World" and "Beauty and the Beast" Howard Ashman. Smith proceeded to not know Ashman died in the early 90's of aids and joked they should date.
I actually forgot about Sondeim's work on Dick Tracy, so thanks for the reminder.

Also, holy shit @ that joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom