• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
On the first part quoted I must say that I will be shocked if Yoda doesn't appear at some time, whether it's in season 2 or 3. Lucasfilm love their member-berries.

On the second part I agree. I was hoping that it would be much further back in time than a measly 100 years.

I'm thinking at least a name drop or a hologram communication.

At this point , there is no way that Disney does not have some massive backchannel financial gain for failing, no company no matter how far up the ass of its danger hair hires the company has put itself.

And yea....the prequels were massive shit too.....as much as the cringy agenda driven drivel the disney trash is.....im not gonna pretend George Lucas knew what the hell he was doing, he didnt.

If you wanted to make star wars good again, get rid of all the tripe female dei hires, scrub it all ,, burn it all down, keep the original trilogy and start all over again. You cant make star wars good if you continue in the same shitty universe thats been created by disney.

Hire the one person that really made star wars what it is...Marcia Lucas, redo the prequels properly.....build the entire saga on a sound foundation.....not a bag of oily shit.

But Disney is making money off of this somehow...

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think for me I will watch rogue one. Original trilogy. Then maybe prequels. Plus TFA. Oh and solo is actually a good film.

That’s it. Oh Andor also. Maybe man do.

But the rest nah fam.

Hugare

We all complained, more or less, about the last trilogy, but boy oh boy we had no idea how bad Star Wars was going to end up huh?
I didnt. They were always a guilty pleasure of mine.

I was ok, II was the worst imo, but III is my favorite Star Wars movie easily. Shit was hype.

Maybe because I wasnt born yet when the originals came out, I dont put them on a high pedestal. They are fine, but goofy af and aged like milk. I understand their significance for cinema, but I really dont enjoy them very much today.

I rewatch the prequels all the time to. They are very rewatchable.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

I was ok, II was the worst imo, but III is my favorite Star Wars movie easily. Shit was hype.

Maybe because I wasnt born yet when the originals came out, I dont put them on a high pedestal. They are fine, but goofy af and aged like milk. I understand their significance for cinema, but I really dont enjoy them very much today.

This is like me and my brother his trilogy is the prequels mine are the original.

Jaybe

Gold Member
Looks like Disney gave this girl the same PR training as Rachel Zegler

MX08qwj.jpeg

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
The only Star Wars movie/show that were really good after the OT was Andor. Stories like Revenge of the Sith, Rogue One and Mandalorian S1 are "fine", but I think in a sea of shit, people are more forgiving to the ones that are decent and prop them up higher than they should. Andor on the other hand was legit, but that's the thing. How many years and how many shows/movies since the OT did it take before they put out something the was actually great? On average, Star Wars has mostly been a bad IP.

Sleepwalker

The fire in space clip is pretty hilarious to me because the girl is also standing on top of the ship like there was regular earth gravity in space lol.

Its not really a big deal just funny.

The originals arent spectacular either, and for most of us its nostalgia. Same with the prequels, they're pretty fucking bad if you think about it and yet we still loved them. As for the modern trilogy, I went to every single one at the cinema and I enjoyed them for what they were as well, despite many complaints. Even so, all these movies, with their huge flaws, still had creative charm and stupid fun in them, the cinema moments we crave, but these modern stuff? Ugh. Hopefully, Mandalorian saves us, again, from all this trash.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
We haven't seen Qimir and the dark figure / possible Sith together yet. A dumb fan theory of mine is that he may be the master, playing the role of the fool to keep an eye on Mae's trials. He seems to know an awful lot about the thinking of a Jedi.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
We haven't seen Qimir and the dark figure / possible Sith together yet. A dumb fan theory of mine is that he may be the master, playing the role of the fool to keep an eye on Mae's trials. He seems to know an awful lot about the thinking of a Jedi.
Another theory is that Yord is evil.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I'm wondering what Mae means when she has to take a Jedi down with no weapons. I get it in the literal sense but in two of her fights she reaches for their lightsaber when she gets up close. I'm curious if that's part of her trial : kill them with none of her weapons, but to take theirs and kill them with it

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
When does Yoda show up in this?

He is alive in this time period (when 900 hundred years old you reach look as good...etc etc) or will he show up as the Deux ex machina* in the last episode ala Luke in Mando?

Last edited:

DKehoe

oops! you are right I used the wrong term "Deux ex Machina"
No worries. And yeh it wouldn’t shock me if they tried to cram Yoda in somewhere. But for me part of the appeal of this show is it’s stepping outside of that Skywalker Saga timeline and isn’t leaning on pre-existing material, which was a big issue I had with the last show. So hopefully they keep this distinct rather than relying on “check it out, it’s this guy!”

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
When does Yoda show up in this?

He is alive in this time period (when 900 hundred years old you reach look as good...etc etc) or will he show up as the Deux ex machina* in the last episode ala Luke in Mando?
He’s on the council at this time off doing big stuff involving the Chancellor and not murdering twins.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The fire in space clip is pretty hilarious to me because the girl is also standing on top of the ship like there was regular earth gravity in space lol.

Its not really a big deal just funny.

She's obviously wearing magnetic boots. You even hear the magnetic 'click' when she first steps on the hull. Just like in First Contact.

Roufianos

I enjoyed the first two episodes, but I basically like all of Star Wars except for the sequels.

Lol at the fat jedi though, aren't they meant to be the definition of disciplined?

Atrus

Gold Member
I managed to catch up on this show and I have to say that it isn’t done well.

I understand what it’s trying to do but the biggest problem is the writing and directing which, like dominos, brings everything else down.

Dafne Keene and Manny Jacinto are pretty much the only ones delivering as far as acting goes and the rest aren’t really being pushed. You don’t really get the feeling these characters actually care as they should about each other or the things they’re saying about the Force.

Letho in the Witcher 2 is pretty much Mae so far except that Letho’s character was more impactful. You need the ‘Assassin’ character to come off as an intimidating threat that can be respected. Depression is not exactly the sort of lethal arsenal one expects of a villain so it falls flat, as is running into people or being hit by a car.

The voice work is also terrible. The Trade Federation people have a different accent now but more annoyingly just come off as bad English anime dub and the real evil behind the scenes sounds neither evil or mysterious, just annoying. There should have been a better way to introduce the character.

The scope of ‘The Acolyte’ isn’t that bad but definitely needed a re-write and a better director before production. A sinister unnamed enemy shows up to assassinate Jedi based on a secret past sin but is actually a tool for the real Alcolyte behind the scenes should make for an interesting, compelling series but this flops hard.

No worries. And yeh it wouldn’t shock me if they tried to cram Yoda in somewhere. But for me part of the appeal of this show is it’s stepping outside of that Skywalker Saga timeline and isn’t leaning on pre-existing material, which was a big issue I had with the last show. So hopefully they keep this distinct rather than relying on “check it out, it’s this guy!”

This. The universe is so well established, now, that I get more joy out of seeing something I recognize than someone I recognize.

Fuck Chewy. It Was cool as hell to see the Wookie Jedi.

Or handheld droids.

The originals arent spectacular either, and for most of us its nostalgia. Same with the prequels, they're pretty fucking bad if you think about it and yet we still loved them. As for the modern trilogy, I went to every single one at the cinema and I enjoyed them for what they were as well, despite many complaints. Even so, all these movies, with their huge flaws, still had creative charm and stupid fun in them, the cinema moments we crave, but these modern stuff? Ugh. Hopefully, Mandalorian saves us, again, from all this trash.

And let's face it.. StarWars...The OG trilogy, the prequels, the sequels. It's all kind of trash.

We're nostalgic for the originals, but they only were good to the point that there's literally nothing else like it. Nothing else comes comprehensively close to being as campy and poorly written, but the magic that binds it is/was always George Lucas's vision.

As shitty as Jar Jar was and cringe Padme and Anakin seemed at the time, who could argue with the man that created it?

Now, Disney is flailing, trying to recapture some magic that there never really was. Star Wars was a product of the times and propelled by the imagination of the Fandom.

Disney pretty much said fuck the fans when it released the Force Awakens...for better or worse.

I will say, that in the long run Disney will benefit from this approach.

Why? Because Star Wars is pure fun when a good story is told in within the universe. Canon be damned.

Case in point: Rogue One, Obi-wan Kenobi (series), Star Wars Visions, Ahsoka.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
If that's just total runtime divided length of show by then it's likely divided by 2, not 1, so just 2.5 million viewers of a "2 hour" premier. Nothing for network shows on the old days but who can say for streaming. We'll see what legs it has.

So Disney has to pay out per view now, right? That was the crux of the strike last year, to get transparency in viewers, thus not letting streamers declare "record high audience" without backing it up with royalty payments?

So let's see if that's what happens.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Carrie Anne Moss is still in the show. There's going to be a flashback episode showing how badly they fucked up that earlier mission that caused all the shit with Mae:
1OyaUYy.jpeg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If it means we get more of Lee Jung-jae as Sol and then he gets a movie, maybe we can thank the ragebait idiots and their hate lemmings.

It's truly bizarre that there's a good chance Disney are relying on the very people who claim to hate them to keep their products going. I can't comment on Sol as a character, because I haven't watched the show, because I know it's not something I'll enjoy.

Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Sol is Qui-Gon in the High Republic - a Jedi Master who doesn't go along with the Jedi BS.

Yord is pretty much what Anakin would've been like had the Jedi found him as a baby and he didn't have the mommy attachment issues.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's truly bizarre that there's a good chance Disney are relying on the very people who claim to hate them to keep their products going. I can't comment on Sol as a character, because I haven't watched the show, because I know it's not something I'll enjoy.
Nah, no amount of rage watching will make a Disney show a success, because 'viewers' are not what they need, it's the MERCHANDISING that these shows have to drive. Disney doesn't want "just broke even" stuff, it needs "we made $10 in licensing and merch for every $1 spent on the production" type returns for them to continue. Hate watchers might boost viewership, but they don't buy toys, tie-in books, or happy meals based on these characters.

Which is why these Star Wars shows are so baffling. They aren't really tied into anything else, they don't really spawn new vehicles or memorable distinct characters, there are not many cool new locations, NOTHING to drive the real cash cow. Baby Yoda, the Razorcrest, and Mando were the last thing that really struck merch gold in Star Wars, even Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma was a bit of a whiff. Fett did nothing, Obi-Wan did nothing, Ahsoka did nothing, if these shows were attempts to appeal to kids and create a new audience they were wet farts. If they were "for the existing fans" then they were almost maliciously targeting them for insults. Just roll time back to 2018 or whenever Mando s1 came out and remember the BUZZ around that show, because it appealed to the core audience but ALSO fired up new ones because it appealed to what was ALWAYS the key demo for Star Wars...boys and men who are boys at heart.

Trying to pivot Star Wars into a girls brand is just bizarre, using it as a sacrificial goat to boost ESG scores is about the only rational reason for it, but then EVERYTHING Disney has tunnel vision on the ESG score these days, so why can't we just leave Star Wars alone? Andor is about the only thing left that feels like it has a firm grasp on its audience (the older Star Wars fan) and is willing to forego appealing to kids in order to make a discrete adult, high concept show. But the rest of it....WTF?

BlackTron

Gold Member

The prequels seem like a rewatchable guilty pleasure in my brain until actually sitting down to do it. I remember the dumb fun and campy parts, but then you have the horrific acting and terrible pacing, especially of 2 but it's a glaring problem in 1 as well. I agree 3 is the least bad by a wide margin and has the most cool stuff in it, but that's faint praise.

These are my favorite films to think about but not to actually sit through. The overarching story was really good and there were many good parts, held together by a lot of shit. Also as an adult it's much harder to gloss over the problems than when it came out, even though nostalgia helps. A shame really.

My preferred PT experience is like a 1 hour narrated Youtube recap of all 3.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The prequels seem like a rewatchable guilty pleasure in my brain until actually sitting down to do it. I remember the dumb fun and campy parts, but then you have the horrific acting and terrible pacing, especially of 2 but it's a glaring problem in 1 as well. I agree 3 is the least bad by a wide margin and has the most cool stuff in it, but that's faint praise.

These are my favorite films to think about but not to actually sit through. The overarching story was really good and there were many good parts, held together by a lot of shit. Also as an adult it's much harder to gloss over the problems than when it came out, even though nostalgia helps. A shame really.

My preferred PT experience is like a 1 hour narrated Youtube recap of all 3.
For me the biggest misstep of the PT was starting with Anakin so young. I get that it would have felt too much like a ANH retread but a teen Anakin doing all the same stuff, with more acting chops and a better rapport with Amadalia would have anchored the trilogy much better, I think. Otherwise a lot of the PT is hard to watch due to the overuse of CG effects that aged badly, it makes a lot of the talking scenes feel incredibly cheap, even if the action stuff holds up better (well, low res AOTC bits aside).

BlackTron

Gold Member
As as example of why PT is "necessary" despite how bad it is. One of the best characters in the series is Palpatine and he has practically nothing in the OT up till the end of RotJ.

Top Bottom