• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

Zathalus

Oh C'mon, this is one the worst effects in Sci-Fi history

My kid could have told you it wouldn't be like this and this is made by grown arse women on wages that we'll never see :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's just rude.
Oh sure, I fully agree the effect looks bad and not at all how a oxygen fire would look like in space. They could have at least bothered to not make it look like a camp fire.

I'm simply pointing out no need to get mad on any sort of scientific basis, that ship has sailed decades ago.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Oh sure, I fully agree the effect looks bad and not at all how a oxygen fire would look like in space. They could have at least bothered to not make it look like a camp fire.

I'm simply pointing out no need to get mad on any sort of scientific basis, that ship has sailed decades ago.
I'm not mad 🤷‍♂️

This stuff is hilarious. Especially when you see the budget.

Someone's laundering. It's a shame it has to be through what was once good I.P's.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
One of the core elements of the show is the fallibility of the Jedi and their beliefs and practices, much like how they were examined in the sequel (edit: prequel) trilogy, and how they can come to be seen as a force for ill by some. Such as Mae. So I wonder if that isn't actually a Sith, but rather some disillusioned ex Jedi who also blames the Jedi for some wrong or some loss. It would explain why they conceal their identity from even their own disciple. It would also conveniently maintain the continuity from the prequel trilogy, when Yoda or whoever mentioned that the Sith had not been seen in hundreds of years (or however long they said, I haven't watched that movie in like ten years).

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
One of the core elements of the show is the fallibility of the Jedi and their beliefs and practices, much like how they were examined in the sequel trilogy, and how they can come to be seen as a force for ill by some. Such as Mae. So I wonder if that isn't actually a Sith, but rather some disillusioned ex Jedi who also blames the Jedi for some wrong or some loss. It would explain why they conceal their identity from even their own disciple. It would also conveniently maintain the continuity from the prequel trilogy, when Yoda or whoever mentioned that the Sith had not been seen in hundreds of years (or however long they said, I haven't watched that movie in like ten years).
I get that the Jedi were flawed in the prequel trilogy, but damn. Starting to wonder if they ever had their shit together.

BigBeauford

Gold Member
Jedi are an allegory for "overzealous police" who everyone sees as the good guys but they are actually bad.

Also, I'm going to laugh if this is just a rip off of "Fight Club" where she doesn't actually have a sister.

Jedi are an allegory for "overzealous police" who everyone sees as the good guys but they are actually bad.

Other than Yoda and Anakin, I dont think anyone liked the Jedi that much. Even in the best games/lore the sith have always had the most interesting stories. You always hear awesome stuff about all the dark lords, but hardly anything cool about jedi masters. Hell even in KOTOR and SWTOR, the best stories are regarding sith.

BigBeauford

Gold Member
Other than Yoda and Anakin, I dont think anyone liked the Jedi that much. Even in the best games/lore the sith have always had the most interesting stories. You always hear awesome stuff about all the dark lords, but hardly anything cool about jedi masters. Hell even in KOTOR and SWTOR, the best stories are regarding sith.
I think that's just human nature to be interested in our darker elements. There is no media shortage covering Hitler, OJ Simpson, and other crappy human beings. No one actually gives a shit about stories involving peaceful religious monks.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I think space fire is a on the losing side. No one like space fire except ManaByte ManaByte and that is cool if he wants to like it.

I think you get a better problem if you have just a sparking or glowing coil that they say they have to fix. Although in canon they have droids go fix eteriors all the time. And I think they had a line about why they were using people and not droids but I don't remember.

It is convenient that sisters that don't know each other wear their hair the same for story reasons.

Kilau

I think space fire is a on the losing side. No one like space fire except ManaByte ManaByte and that is cool if he wants to like it.

I think you get a better problem if you have just a sparking or glowing coil that they say they have to fix. Although in canon they have droids go fix eteriors all the time. And I think they had a line about why they were using people and not droids but I don't remember.

I think the writers just wanted to have look at flames to have that cliched internal call back and gave zero thoughts about flames in space.

A character named OSHA falls off a cliff.

Did it happen at work? :messenger_open_mouth:

Jaybe

Gold Member
Anyone post pics of the fat jedi? I def wont be watching this.
aenvatv.jpeg

(Yeah yeah I know not a Jedi)

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I feel for the actor, he auditioned and got the part, got some lines and then everyone goes.....Fat Jedi..... And that is now his legacy.

Nobody hates on Porkins in a New Hope. But he is just a rebel pilot.

Star-Wars-Rebel-Pilot-Porkins.jpg
He also took the Ark from Indy and bribes from the Joker.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Now were striaght up complaining about the force being a central theme in star wars?

Good god. No one hates star wars more than star wars fans. Sorry but the force is the foundation upon which everything else star wars is built. That isnt ever going to change, nor should it. Breaks are nice. You listed just some of rhe non force central stuff. But as the jedi say, balance between the too is better.
See, the Force is an ELEMENT in Star Wars, but making it the FOCUS is a bad idea(tm). It's like the King Arthur tale with Merlin. Yeah, Merlin shows up, spouts off prophecy, does a few magic tricks, and Arthur is indirectly helped by magic at times, but you don't make the FOCUS on how the magic works, where did Merlin learn it, who else can learn it, why doesn't everyone else learn it, why aren't crops grown with magic, why do magic people seem to only be Super Cops or horrendous bad guys? See how quickly the universe breaks down when you look at magic too closely? It's ok for a single author to do the worldbuilding, but when it is a shared universe magic/the force becomes an even worse crutch because there is no consistency or logic to it, or the rules they try to apply just get broken or are dumb to begin with.

Star Wars, like King Arthur, is a story about PEOPLE, it's Luke learning about himself and resisting the Empire. King Arthur struggles to get and keep his throne. There are colorful side characters with their own non-magic adventures and experiences, just like the Knights of the Round Table with jealousy, honor, quests, etc. Magic was NEVER the focal point, it was the fantastical element but the best writers kept it in check. And you can see in recent Star Wars media (outside of games perhaps) that sidelining the Force is BY FAR the best storytelling decision. The OT kept it as a bit part, but at the PT increased attention on it and the ST just wallowed in it, the story telling got worse and worse. The Clone Wars, Rebels, etc varied but I personally found the more force centric stuff (usually Filoni with his mystic force ideas) to be the least interesting. Nightsisters, the force wolves, time travel, force ghosts in any capacity other than a quick confidence boost or morality meter, none of it really holds up. I don't think it resonates with kids, i don't think it appeals to casual adult viewers, and its totally divisive to the core audience. So why they keep running off that cliff, over and over, boggles my mind.

Romulus

I feel for the actor, he auditioned and got the part, got some lines and then everyone goes.....Fat Jedi..... And that is now his legacy.

Nobody hates on Porkins in a New Hope. But he is just a rebel pilot.

Star-Wars-Rebel-Pilot-Porkins.jpg

The guy reminds me of every game "journalist" from the late 90s. Gamepro vibes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Doubled ended dil- saber scene, or GTFO
Well, you know who the core audience for Star Wars is, the group that propells each film to a BILLION DOLLAR box office? Yeah..lesbians, that's who!

Though if it was a sweet sweet twilek and and buxom togruta....could stand to see a little bit :p

Toons

See, the Force is an ELEMENT in Star Wars, but making it the FOCUS is a bad idea(tm). It's like the King Arthur tale with Merlin. Yeah, Merlin shows up, spouts off prophecy, does a few magic tricks, and Arthur is indirectly helped by magic at times, but you don't make the FOCUS on how the magic works, where did Merlin learn it, who else can learn it, why doesn't everyone else learn it, why aren't crops grown with magic, why do magic people seem to only be Super Cops or horrendous bad guys? See how quickly the universe breaks down when you look at magic too closely? It's ok for a single author to do the worldbuilding, but when it is a shared universe magic/the force becomes an even worse crutch because there is no consistency or logic to it, or the rules they try to apply just get broken or are dumb to begin with.
There was never any consistency even when it was just one writer. To a person who's casually into star wars that is never really going to bother them. Its always been wumbo jumbo magic. Lucas never explained how force ghosts even work, if they make sense, even when learning how to become a force ghost has been a plot point. He made new force powers when he did the prequels, allowed EU writers to go crazy with it, etc.

To someone who IS deep in star wars lore they probably love this stuff. I mean, im a pretty big star wars fan and I dont mind the lore stuff snd the rules snd all the corners. But im not deep into recording all of that. Either way, that ship is long past sailed. The ship shield before the PT even came out arguably.

Star Wars, like King Arthur, is a story about PEOPLE, it's Luke learning about himself and resisting the Empire. King Arthur struggles to get and keep his throne. There are colorful side characters with their own non-magic adventures and experiences, just like the Knights of the Round Table with jealousy, honor, quests, etc. Magic was NEVER the focal point, it was the fantastical element but the best writers kept it in check. And you can see in recent Star Wars media (outside of games perhaps) that sidelining the Force is BY FAR the best storytelling decision. The OT kept it as a bit part, but at the PT increased attention on it and the ST just wallowed in it, the story telling got worse and worse. The Clone Wars, Rebels, etc varied but I personally found the more force centric stuff (usually Filoni with his mystic force ideas) to be the least interesting. Nightsisters, the force wolves, time travel, force ghosts in any capacity other than a quick confidence boost or morality meter, none of it really holds up. I don't think it resonates with kids, i don't think it appeals to casual adult viewers, and its totally divisive to the core audience. So why they keep running off that cliff, over and over, boggles my mind.

I mean, this seems more like a personal preference than a hard and fast rule. Way more people watched ahsoka than watched andor, even tho many would say andor is the superior show. Also, rogue one has many force central themes within it, it just doesn't have explicit force USERS. The thing is you cannot really separate the jedi from the force, so if you're telling a story about a jedi, it has to feature the force. It's a religion, the force is their God. Itd be like telling a Christian story without any Bible references. You can do so I suppose... but why would you?

Last edited:
Guess, I'm the hot take guy, but I thought first two episodes were good.

Not great mind you, but definetly better than some of the recent SW output.

There's not a Skywalker in sight and we finally get a story that's divorced from everything that came before it. Great to see the white knight robes.

But I will say that it didn't really feel like different era or set in the past. Technology felt sameish.

Should've went 500 years back.

Looking forward to rest of series.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

It is convenient that sisters that don't know each other wear their hair the same for story reasons.

It's my head canon that the force field surrounding large star ships results in the retention of a small amount of oxygen that becomes trapped between the hull and the "surface" of the shield. So small fires are possible. *shrug*

Besides I've seen fires on space ships, especially large ships during big battles, in dozens of movies and shows in my life. I figuratively roll my eyes, continue to suspend my disbelief given I am watching sci-fi / fantasy, and move on.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Aren't they working on a Dawn of the Jedi movie or show? I guarantee the first Jedi will be a woman and most likely a human of color woman.... and probably lgbt and on the spectrum and she won't have any time for no man.

Just watch.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Gold Member
There's not a Skywalker in sight and we finally get a story that's divorced from everything that came before it. Great to see the white knight robes.

[...]

Should've went 500 years back.

On the first part quoted I must say that I will be shocked if Yoda doesn't appear at some time, whether it's in season 2 or 3. Lucasfilm love their member-berries.

On the second part I agree. I was hoping that it would be much further back in time than a measly 100 years.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Lucas never explained how force ghosts even work

He did, but he had to cut the dialog from Revenge of the Sith because Neeson refused to come back. It's still in the comic and the deleted scene with temp dialog is on the Blu-Ray.

Basically Qui-Gon was the one who figured out how to do it and was the first one because of his rebellious nature studying the "Living Force" and a "Shaman of the Whills" led him to the secret of how to do it. He then taught Obi-Wan and Yoda during their exile.

When Neeson came around and finally decided to return and voiced Qui-Gon in Clone Wars Lucas was able to revisit it:

Last edited:
Top Bottom