• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

Trunx81

Gold Member
I still habe zero explanation for why Andor was this great. Like the weird child everyone looks over, but then it saves the world. (Please don’t screw up season 2!)

Trunx81

Gold Member
Also, about the fire discussion: We can work with sound in space but not fire? Especially after the bridge of the Executer in Return of the Jedi also burned in space?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Also, about the fire discussion: We can work with sound in space but not fire? Especially after the bridge of the Executer in Return of the Jedi also burned in space?
Sound in space adds to dramatic tension and helps inform the audience of events on screen. Even an otherwise highly accurate show like The Expanse made this concession. About the only modern space show that had silence in space was, I believe, Firefly, but I may be wrong about that one as well since it's been a hot minute (and I think they had radio screeches and muted sounds just to fill it anyway).

A blazing fire flickering away as if it were a campfire is silly looking even if ships burning in space (like X-wings tended to do in ANH) is a "thing" in Star Wars. But ultimately nit-picks like this show the audience isn't engaged. If The Acolyte was hitting like S1 Mando, no one would care about stuff like that. But hate watchers definitely look for that stuff.

Yoboman

Gold Member
I think most female writers fundamentally just don't understand the difference between cool and lame and it shows in every female led project

For guys growing up it's basically existential to understand that. Especially when you're young and trying to make it in the world. Young guys don't get by on their looks, it's by being cool and gravitating to interests that are cool

This is the lamest thing Ive ever seen and being an all female team I bet it didn't even register with anyone involved

If Star Wars isn't trying to be cool then wtf is the point of it

Yoboman

Gold Member
Technically fire is an Earth only phenomenon as far as we know and has never been observed anywhere else, nor is it really expected to be found elsewhere unless we find very Earthlike planets. And also didn't exist for many eons on Earth. It's the current chemical composition of Earth and the way the planet has evolved that allows fire to be a thing

So if any SciFi is doing fire outside earth you could argue they've got it wrong.

AJUMP23

I think most female writers fundamentally just don't understand the difference between cool and lame and it shows in every female led project

For guys growing up it's basically existential to understand that. Especially when you're young and trying to make it in the world. Young guys don't get by on their looks, it's by being cool and gravitating to interests that are cool

This is the lamest thing Ive ever seen and being an all female team I bet it didn't even register with anyone involved

Did fil go oh yes this is great. Maybe he is a yes man to Kathleen.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Zack Snyder says, "hold my beer" :p

But yes, women fail at writing to appeal to men just like men can fail to resonate with women.

But like most things in life, men are usually better at it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

j0hnnix

oscars 2016 GIF by The Academy Awards

Sonik

I'm starting to understand how incels are so many nowadays, if I didn't have interactions with real women and all my info about them came from pop culture I'd hate women too. This shit not only makes women look like insecure clowns but also exposes the deep narcissism and stupidity of the women that write this trash. Hollywood truly has zero self-awareness

LimanimaPT

There must be a point where disney stocks are going to fall like a rock and maybe this mandness will stop. It's impossible to keep releasing trash like this for years to no end. Not even disney can sustain this.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

There must be a point where disney stocks are going to fall like a rock and maybe this mandness will stop. It's impossible to keep releasing trash like this for years to no end. Not even disney can sustain this.

Not really. They crowed about the 4.8 million views for the first couple of episodes. And they'll obfuscate if the views drop significantly. Hate watchers probably helped grant them a win for this out of the blocks with the shareholders.

Can't stress how much people who don't want this shit to continue should actually stop engaging with it altogether.

StueyDuck

Havent watched the episodes but this scene is really from it? :D

as a complete outsider, whose never gonna watch the show nor care. So take my opinion with a grain of salt, also i don't have the full context of what is happening.

i must say this clip has the worst acting i have ever seen in a high budget tv show.

jason10mm

Gold Member
"MANdness" is that what you call taking a bit if male centered media and making it AGGRESSIVELY female focused no matter the consequences? :p

Top Bottom