• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Havent watched the episodes but this scene is really from it? :D

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I enjoyed Season 1 of the Mandalorian but I hated that it was a TV show from the opening scene because parts of it (especially alien designs, alien language (or lack thereof) and alien costumes) just screamed non-movie budget.

I just cant take Star Wars seriously as a TV show even if the budgets are larger compared to other series its impossible to film and produce 8 long episodes without making cuts here and there.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I enjoyed Season 1 of the Mandalorian but I hated that it was a TV show from the opening scene because parts of it (especially alien designs, alien language (or lack thereof) and alien costumes) just screamed non-movie budget.

I just cant take Star Wars seriously as a TV show even if the budgets are larger compared to other series its impossible to film and produce 8 long episodes without making cuts here and there.

The volume where they filmed began to look cheap.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's to make Jedi look like bad evil men and paganist/feminists look like "yesss queeen" power women.

Shit is painfully transparent and cringe as fuck.
Except one of the main Jedi involved is a woman and I’m pretty sure there’s going to be an explanation of not so good witches involved.

It’s just a bad show in the end, offensively bad writing and boring storytelling.

They spent half an episode of an 8 episode show telling us they 2 twins love each other but also fight like children.

I can’t believe how bad that witches ceremony was it’s stuck in my head like a bad but catchy tune lol

Episodes 1 and 2 weren’t terrible but they had to build to something great and they didn’t, so now they are retroactively at least “bad” for me.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Except one of the main Jedi involved is a woman and I’m pretty sure there’s going to be an explanation of not so good witches involved.
The socio-political undertone that Star Wars and other IPs that have been a vehicle for is painfully transparent. I was expecting a 3K in republic credits visit to the woods of Endor just to scream like a psychopath scene to boot. Poor nature. Poor Ewoks, no ladies, they're not bears. But they will eat you all the same.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Gotta love people defending this shit because it was in a book 30 years ago that nobody read.
If you are referring to the Nightsisters, they have been in far more media then just a book that was published 30 years ago. They have been in dozens of books, reference material, the animated series, the trading card game, and a number of video games. Anyone who followed the legends EU knew about them. They are hardly some obscure part of the lore.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
My problem with the witch ceremony scene, aside from the cornball dialog and chanting, was that it didn't feel like Star Wars. Aside from that, and the need to have an additional flashback followup to flesh out the details, I thought it was fine. Not great, but also not unwatchable. Oh, and the girl portraying a young Osha really needed some better direction and/or coaching. Compared to her evil twin she was wooden.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you are referring to the Nightsisters, they have been in far more media then just a book that was published 30 years ago. They have been in dozens of books, reference material, the animated series, the trading card game, and a number of video games. Anyone who followed the legends EU knew about them. They are hardly some obscure part of the lore.
They weren't immaculate concepting humans.

As far as your dialog comment. This doesn't even have good world building or cool tech/ships to fall back on that at least the PT had.

It's just one big pile of shit.

Last edited:

Zathalus

They weren't immaculate concepting humans.
No they were not, but immaculate conception isn't exactly unknown to Star Wars. A Dark Side ritual that can do so doesn't seem out of place, that concept was hinted at with Palpatine as well.

The whole thing could certainly have been handled better though.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It’s just a bad show in the end, offensively bad writing and boring storytelling.

I can’t believe how bad that witches ceremony was it’s stuck in my head like a bad but catchy tune lol

And yet you still continue to watch :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I just dont fucking get it with you people

If I recognize something is shit, I turn it off and dont look back

You all seem to basically get off on trash and hate watching

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I stand corrected. They were in dozens of books nobody read. Besides that didn't Disney themselves come out and say years ago that all the eu stuff was noncannon anyway?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I stand corrected. They were in dozens of books nobody read. Besides that didn't Disney themselves come out and say years ago that all the eu stuff was noncannon anyway?

Thanks to Dave Filoni, they've been bringing back a lot of the EU stuff into Canon. Just because George or Disney AT THE START said the EU was never Canon doesn't mean elements can't be brought in. Thrawn was brought in! I can't wait til the Yuzhon are made canon.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No they were not, but immaculate conception isn't exactly unknown to Star Wars. A Dark Side ritual that can do so doesn't seem out of place, that concept was hinted at with Palpatine as well.

The whole thing could certainly have been handled better though.
The whole "anakin had no father" thing was just so out of left field in TPM and it really has no payoff, at least not in the major tie-ins (I'm sure some EU author wrote an entire book on it) that I wonder why Lucas even did it. I dislike the idea that the force has sentience in the first place, even less like the notion that it gives a fuck what human/large sentient races do with it other than perhaps it has a capability to respond to a mass murder event (like Alderaan) in some primitive fashion, and REALLY dislike any notion that it is basically an infectious parasite or however Lucas envisioned Midichlorians working. I feel that it deprives characters of proper agency, responsibility, and culpability for their actions of they can say "The force made me do it" rather than the force being more of an underlying principle of the universe, like gravity or electromagnetism, that can be partially understood and manipulated. Even the Light Side/Dark Side I'd prefer to see as just the results of character actions (i.e. nuclear power plant = light side, nuclear bomb = dark side, fission itself doesn't care) as that keeps the story more grounded on the human experience.

Occasional deep dives into the nitty gritty "shamanistic" aspects of the Force are ok, but I think that in general modern Lucasarts is waaaaaay too focused on The Force as a storytelling beat in and of itself rather than as a way to prod the plot along and explain some cool action scenes. I think they feel the Force is Star Wars' defining attribute, especially as Star Trek becomes more "Star Warsy" in tone and other shows like Firefly, Stargate, Lost in Space, Cosmic Marvel etc kinda took over the "Hey, we're having adventures in space, yo!" mantle, leaving Star Wars less room to distinguish itself if there weren't lightsabers and robed magicians running around.. Book of Fett naturally didn't help this argument, though I'd say the rousing success of Mando shows that jedi/force stuff is best used sparingly compared to the overdose we got with Obi-Wan and Ahsoka where the creaky edges of this kind of mythology start to show (and The Acolyte apparently rips wide open).

IntentionalPun

And yet you still continue to watch :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I just dont fucking get it with you people

If I recognize something is shit, I turn it off and dont look back

You all seem to basically get off on trash and hate watching
I thought the first 2 episodes were Ok hence why I watched the 3rd.

I’ll probably just drop the show unless I hear it somehow redeems itself.

I don’t have the highest bar for show watching though as I workout like 2 hours a day and have a TV in my workout room. *shrug*

This show is just boring though.

I’d say at least half of the people in this thread aren’t even watching the show lol

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

Those shills on YT said it would ruin Star Wars, but episode 3 was just a bad episode. It didn't ruin Star Wars. Those twins have zero chemistry though. This is what you get with DEI.

Roufianos

Wow, I'm not even too bothered about the force conception story, but man:

Those child actors were dreadful. Osha's especially made Jake Lloyd's look Oscar winning. Seriously that was jarring

That 'power of many' chant sounded like a shit nursery rhyme written by a 5 year old

The Wookie looked awful in those robes, just stupid

Likewise the old alien witch was awful CGI

What the hell did those witches even die from, a bit of smoke which Osha survived from?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I was listening to ScreenCrush and they seem to think this episode is structured like Roshamon... It's from Osha's POV... Not the full story. That's why there's so many holes in the story.

Can't wait to watch it when I get the money

Gotta love people defending this shit because it was in a book 30 years ago that nobody read.

I'm fine with the Nightsisters being a thing since I remember them from the EU and Lucas made them Canon in The Clone Wars

My issue is that they are using them as a political mouthpiece to air their grievance about men lol

Especially that one part where they explained that the twins have no father just like Anakin. It was so obvious what they were doing there

My reaction during the whole episode

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

As I said before there are no original thoughts in Libtards and Feminazis. This latest episode is one of the current examples of this

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I was listening to ScreenCrush and they seem to think this episode is structured like Roshamon... It's from Osha's POV... Not the full story. That's why there's so many holes in the story.

Can't wait to watch it when I get the money

It’s not really fully her point of view considering multiple scenes didn’t involve her.

This isn’t Roshamon like to me, outside of maybe the very end where they only show what Osha saw.

Which was annoying as it’s the only real mystery of the show and they spent an entire flashback episode without explaining it lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm fine with the Nightsisters being a thing since I remember them from the EU and Lucas made them Canon in The Clone Wars

My issue is that they are using them as a political mouthpiece to air their grievance about men lol

Especially that one part where they explained that the twins have no father just like Anakin. It was so obvious what they were doing there

My reaction during the whole episode

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

As I said before there are no original thoughts in Libtards and Feminazis. This latest episode is one of the current examples of this
And look what a fatherless home produced. 🤭
darth vader GIF

Top Bottom