• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Theres been a "negative" circlejerk sub called saltierthancrait for years.

There's also /r/saltierthankrayt, who mostly make fun of and lampoon the reactionary crowd, review bombers, etc. They're not as funny as the circle jerk / satire subreddits but they have their moments.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No, folks have been shitting on Star Wars SINCE TPM. I remember how shell shocked and disappointed I was walking out of the theater. It's been nigh 20 years for me to come round on it and my collection of Star Wars stuff is almost EXCLUSIVELY OT era, it's really just those 3 films holding up the fandom like a damned Atlas.

The Clone Wars shows that you CAN make stuff that appeals to whatever "core audience" there is, and even that show had its wacky moments at times. TFA was tonally much more in line with the OT (deliberately so) and most of us gave it a pass on the mystery box shenanigans because we thought they would pay off. TLJ and ROS later, we know that was a scam.

I would really only put RO and Mando S1, of all the Star Wars stuff since Clone Wars, that has any real merit. Maybe Bad Batch in there as well. Andor is too different, we'll see how it wraps up. But Mando S2 on, Fett, Ahsoka, that stuff is straight trash that completely misses the appeal of Star Wars.

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

Madflavor

Gold Member
See I was already not planning to keep watching this train-wreck but now you're making me morbidly curious to see it just for this prediction 🤦‍♂️

Ep 3 is clearly meant to be 'unreliable narrator' view point - ie. we'll find out what 'really' happened later (or what Jedi think really happened at least).
With that said - I'm about 89% certain at this point that one of the witches mind controlled 1-3 Jedi(s) to murder everyone, and then eventually got killed by The Squid Game herself. It would slot neatly with what the authors think is 'clever twist', explain why one of the twins thinks Jedi pull sabers only to kill - and the Jedi would feel responsible for what they've done (and the subsequent cover-up) and the chekov's mind control has been prominently featured in first 3 episodes so it's GOING to be a plot-thing even if my prediction turns out wrong.

Now the best part of this is that my story still works with Madflavor's ending - I fully expect two plot threads to be disconnected based on general Disney Wars writer competency - so yea - we're probably both right.

I ain’t watching it either, but I’m keeping up with the YouTube content and reactions to how awful it is.

Doczu

Gold Member
Even before that, George completely changed the Jedi in TPM. People seem to have selective memory about how they were in the EU novels before TPM:

George made them warrior monk government enforcers who were sent in to make sure the government got their way.
They were still the same after the prequel trilogy came out.
It was (and for many still is) generally accepted that the Jedi after the fall of the Empire are not the same as the warrior monks of times past. There is nothing contradicting in how the two trilogies portray them.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
They were still the same after the prequel trilogy came out.
It was (and for many still is) generally accepted that the Jedi after the fall of the Empire are not the same as the warrior monks of times past. There is nothing contradicting in how the two trilogies portray them.

Again, people are blinded by the EU Jedi, which are nothing like George Lucas' Jedi.

People are mad at the Jedi being portrayed as "cops", but they were the Chancellor's Gestapo which is what George established in the opening scene of TPM. Mace said it again in AOTC "We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers." People want them to be these warrior knights (which is what the EU portrayed them as in the near-decade before the Prequels), when George's version of the Jedi were space wizards who the government send in the mind-trick others into getting the Chancelor's way.

People are wondering where Yoda is in The Acolyte and the novels establish at this time he's basically the Chancellor's personal cop.

As F Fafalada pointed out above, George then made them as corrupt as the 1940's LAPD in LA Confidential with The Clone Wars.

Last edited:

Toons

There's also /r/saltierthankrayt, who mostly make fun of and lampoon the reactionary crowd, review bombers, etc. They're not as funny as the circle jerk / satire subreddits but they have their moments.

Yea its wierd. Over on the main street wars sub its kinda a smorgasbord of general discussion and occasional flamewars. It doesn't decent to awfulness but it also isn't really fulfilling for deeper discussio of the media.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yea its wierd. Over on the main street wars sub its kinda a smorgasbord of general discussion and occasional flamewars. It doesn't decent to awfulness but it also isn't really fulfilling for deeper discussio of the media.
Dammit, now you make me wish we could get a Star Wars version of The Warriors....

em96xX2.jpeg

I ran it through an ai image generator and while it didn't quite understand "Clinking bottles", I FUCKING WANT IT!!!!

LK8mfD6.jpeg
2KYznE5.jpeg

Toons

Dammit, now you make me wish we could get a Star Wars version of The Warriors....

em96xX2.jpeg

I ran it through an ai image generator and while it didn't quite understand "Clinking bottles", I FUCKING WANT IT!!!!

LK8mfD6.jpeg
2KYznE5.jpeg

That would certainly be an interesting isolated story to tell in the galaxy.

Raven117

Gold Member
They really do need to full stop Star Wars production and full think out a universe and overall plan. (I’m sure they have done this, but it’s not working).

Also, galactic space knights are more fun than space police.

Or just watch Dune 1 and 2 again, rewatch the OG and move on with your life.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

em96xX2.jpeg

LK8mfD6.jpeg
2KYznE5.jpeg

This makes me desperately wish that Outlaws was an early/prequel to the Dark Forces games starring Kyle and Jan.

Trilobit

Gold Member
Theres been a "negative" circlejerk sub called saltierthancrait for years.

That sub is what kept me sane in the midst of Rian Johnson and his gang calling people racists and misogynists for not liking The Last Jedi. There was so much gaslighting from media outlets and others subs, so saltierthancrait became virtually the only place there where you could speak your heart.

It has since become more balanced as I've returned there at times.

I'm still waiting for Rian Johnson's promised Star Wars trilogy.

Trunx81

Gold Member
images

Thank god we had powerful scenes from male directors .. /s

But this thread reminded me that I need to re-read “I, Jedi” from the EU. In my eyes the best Jedi-centric book.

Trilobit

Gold Member
His trilogy became the Benioff & Weiss movie which then was the Taika movie and is now going to be made by Mangold later this year.

I read that it was going to be about the origins of the Force thousands of years before - interest piqued!

He wrote and directed Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Oh no!

He also wrote and directed Logan - Interest back again!

I'm going to be hesitantly hyped about it, most likely it will be typical Disney trash, but hopefully excellent like Rogue One. Watiti is one of my favourite directors, but I don't want him near Star Wars.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I read that it was going to be about the origins of the Force thousands of years before - interest piqued!

He wrote and directed Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Oh no!

He also wrote and directed Logan - Interest back again!

I'm going to be hesitantly hyped about it, most likely it will be typical Disney trash, but hopefully excellent like Rogue One. Watiti is one of my favourite directors, but I don't want him near Star Wars.

The Rian trilogy wasn't as far back. It was set when Hyperspace was first being discovered and planets becoming linked together with the first Hyperspace lanes when a princess on a remote planet is one of the first to discover the Force.

The Mangold movie is set 10,000 years before the Skywalker era (so people will HATE it). There's speculation the galaxy and planet Ahsoka is stuck on has something to do with it.

Wasnt the Empire loss on Endor a reflection of USA loosing in Vietnam?

Strongest army in the world loses to a sticks and stones army.
A little off-topic but this warped perspective of the war misses the mark on how much military assistance the Vietnamese received from the Soviet Union and China. They were supplied with heavy weapons including tanks, artillery systems, and even fighter jets. While it is true that America held an overwhelming firepower advantage over the NVA, they were still a highly equipped army. At one point, the capital of North Vietnam was one of the most heavily defended cities in the entire world fitted with Soviet Union Anti-Aircraft systems manned by Chinese troops that were very much capable of taking significant losses on American bombers.

jason10mm

Gold Member
A little off-topic but this warped perspective of the war misses the mark on how much military assistance the Vietnamese received from the Soviet Union and China. They were supplied with heavy weapons including tanks, artillery systems, and even fighter jets. While it is true that America held an overwhelming firepower advantage over the NVA, they were still a highly equipped army. At one point, the capital of North Vietnam was one of the most heavily defended cities in the entire world fitted with Soviet Union Anti-Aircraft systems manned by Chinese troops that were very much capable of taking significant losses on American bombers.
Kinda like the Ukraine russian war a bit, depending on your POV.

Toons

That sub is what kept me sane in the midst of Rian Johnson and his gang calling people racists and misogynists for not liking The Last Jedi. There was so much gaslighting from media outlets and others subs, so saltierthancrait became virtually the only place there where you could speak your heart.

It has since become more balanced as I've returned there at times.

RJ never said you were racist if you didn't like TLJ.... Not liking TLJ isnt even a fringe opinion, the movie was insanely divisive upon release even amongst normies.

As for his "gang" idk who that includes, but you'll find plenty of idiots who will conflate the two things even now. Obviously not like tlj doesn't mean you're racist however.

The sub, I've avoided that sub because it went well into the deep end and let in conspiracy theories and general bad actors and has barely recovered. Im generally not a big fan of circlejerks either way, but like I said before with star wars its almost a necessity because discussion has been too polarized for too long.

I'm still waiting for Rian Johnson's promised Star Wars trilogy.

I am too, but excitedly so. I think they should've let him do the last movie instead of JJ. He's a better director. I understand this won't be a popular take with everyone lmao.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I watched the first 3 episodes. I'm shocked. I kinda like it. Mainly it's because I feel the story is strong. The depiction of the SW universe is faithful to the franchise. I think they did a good job bringing it to life.

I don't like the Asian dude. His vocal skills/pronunciation are kind of bad. Nearly all his lines are delivered in an awkward manner.

There were some clumsy moments in production. Episode 2 ended abruptly. It felt sloppy. Sometimes the transitions and overall video editing feel amateurish...

The content of episode 3 didn't bother me. What the emperor said in ep3(movie) about the "dark side being the pathway to many abilities, some even unnatural", to me makes the content of episode 3 possible in the SW universe. The writers have to have some freedom to do what they want.

I generally dislike woke stuff as much as the next guy, but I don't feel like I'm being lectured when I'm watching this show, I feel like I'm being told a story. To me that's what matters.

T-0800

US vs Taliban. Fight.

I watched the first 3 episodes. I'm shocked. I kinda like it. Mainly it's because I feel the story is strong. The depiction of the SW universe is faithful to the franchise. I think they did a good job bringing it to life.

I don't like the Asian dude. His vocal skills/pronunciation are kind of bad. Nearly all his lines are delivered in an awkward manner.
That was a really poor choice to get on the Squid Game hype train without realizing the guy spoke no English. Lee Jung-jae is a good actor but all his lines sound (and are) forced. And that could even be a good bit of character depth if his character had indeed just learned to speak whatever is supposed to be the common language but the guy is a leading Jedi who would have been speaking this language for decades.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Try /r/TheAcolyte - they're not bothering with the boring culture war nonsense as much as the other Star Wars subs, and there's some active threads discussing lore, the state of the franchise, the industry, etc

dave_d

US vs Taliban. Fight.
Or the US vs England in the revolutionary war. (The US got a ton of help from France. Also got help from a Prussian, Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, who taught the continental army how to actually fight and not get their asses kicked.)

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That was a really poor choice to get on the Squid Game hype train without realizing the guy spoke no English. Lee Jung-jae is a good actor but all his lines sound (and are) forced. And that could even be a good bit of character depth if his character had indeed just learned to speak whatever is supposed to be the common language but the guy is a leading Jedi who would have been speaking this language for decades.

Donny Yen and Jiang Wen in Rogue One would like to have a word with you as far as having accents in Star Wars... Madds and Lars Mikkelsen would as well...

The British accents are Imperial coded... Everyone else would have been from other planets who may or may not speak common... Or common is their second language... Or they speak common but with an accent

I don't see the issue. He's a good actor and I thought English was his second language, not that he JUST learned it for The Acolyte.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't see the issue. He's a good actor and I thought English was his second language, not that he JUST learned it for The Acolyte.

It's not inherently an issue if your lead is basically learning their lines phonetically but you gotta have every one around them step up to assist in getting the scenes emotional weight correct.

gatti-man

There were some clumsy moments in production. Episode 2 ended abruptly. It felt sloppy. Sometimes the transitions and overall video editing feel amateurish...

The content of episode 3 didn't bother me. What the emperor said in ep3(movie) about the "dark side being the pathway to many abilities, some even unnatural", to me makes the content of episode 3 possible in the SW universe. The writers have to have some freedom to do what they want.

I generally dislike woke stuff as much as the next guy, but I don't feel like I'm being lectured when I'm watching this show, I feel like I'm being told a story. To me that's what matters.
I was enjoying the series until ep 3. The kid story was boring and flat. People just shouting their feelings vs using acting. The witches being so powerful. The whole thing logically made zero sense.

The show gives a feeling of just making shit up as it goes and paints the Jedi as clods. It ignores prior stories even prior movies. It just sucks. The script, the action besides the first ep, the pacing is all pretty terrible.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
end of ep3 spoilers
The witches being so powerful they can create life (which is unheard of besides the pinnacle of force users) then getting wrecked by a few Jedi or fire or whatever. The whole thing logically made zero sense.

That's fair. That made me go "ok, wtf happened?" lol Maybe that will be explained at a later time. It's not exactly clear how powerful the witches were. Maybe they were just good at using the force in an 'incantation' kind of way, not necessarily using the force to fight. Just speculating. But yeah, it was questionable that the fire could cause so much damage.

BadBurger

Made plans tonight so I have to wait until tomorrow to watch tonight’s episode. Gonna be trying to stay away from spoilers until then.

AJUMP23

Jedi keeping secrets. Always leads to a problem. Watching episode 4. Don’t tell the council. We will do it ourselves.

AJUMP23

Episode so short it can’t be terrible.

it ends when something interesting happens. Kind of a crappy way to leave it.

Alex11

How in the ever living fuck can you end an episode like that, smack down in the middle of the action.
Finally something interesting, you don't do that, at least end it before any action, Jesus.

As always, the writing is the stuff of nightmares, actors are just there to put a face to idiotic dialogue, the only one for me, that looks like he enjoys it and puts some effort is the friend or accomplice of the evil twin.

Top Bottom