• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

Doczu

Gold Member
And yet Acolyte so far have been great. Go figure.
dXkld7D.png

thefool

ek6f7Zhi_o.png

3.4 with 57k votes. High levels of rejection.

One thing that surprises me about these shows, even the new got is that it has no fandom. They don't penetrate our culture, they are never talked beyond the rage they elicit. Sure, some people find that negative reaction a bit too much but, fundamentally, there is no community. As time passes by, it's like these shows never existed in the first place.
Which leaves the question. Who are they making these shows for?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
The head writer of episode 4 braved Twitter questions. Confirms that Filoni and the Lucas team must approve each script, but I don't think that's a surprise to most:

tkscz

What a nonsense, now the evil sister is turning good and just wants to surrender. Was the script written by 12 year olds?
It was written by people who have little to their name. Either they've done nothing before or what they have done wasn't well received.

They honestly wrote her saying that she'll be forgiven for killing two Jedi because she has info on the Sith lord Dark Jedi (which is a thing that doesn't make sense). And you know what? I've seen writing from people like these ones and let me tell you, they will stupidly forgive her and just go "Oh she's good now even though she straight murdered two Jedi. No consequences for her. It wasn't her fault, she was being manipulated by the Sith Dark Jedi".

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I can see why she would have a change of heart after discovering that her beloved twin sister was alive, but it did feel too sudden within the narrative. I feel like the writers should have had some other event provoke her, to agitate her in some way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s so hilarious this is obviously someone subconsciously projecting real life situation into the show that is incredibly stereotypical of black people, but nobody will even comment on it.
It's only okay when they do it. They forget to hear the "dog whistles" and all that malarkey.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
What a nonsense, now the evil sister is turning good and just wants to surrender. Was the script written by 12 year olds?
For those of us that are super old - Tucker Carlson had a show called “Crossfire” on CNN. They were brave enough to invite Jon Stewart on the show where he absolutely destroyed Tucker and later on CNN admitted this interaction was a catalyst of them shutting down the show:

Disney needs this. They need their Crossfire moment to move on and do better.

tkscz

She believed the Jedi killed her sister... Now she sees her sister is alive... I get why she turned because what she believed was wrong.
But... but she threatened to kill her sister. That doesn't sound like loyalty to me. That sounds like the writers forgot what they wrote.

Toons

ek6f7Zhi_o.png

3.4 with 57k votes. High levels of rejection.

One thing that surprises me about these shows, even the new got is that it has no fandom. They don't penetrate our culture, they are never talked beyond the rage they elicit. Sure, some people find that negative reaction a bit too much but, fundamentally, there is no community. As time passes by, it's like these shows never existed in the first place.
Which leaves the question. Who are they making these shows for?

If you gauge this on internet rankings you're playing a losing game.

Vast majority dont spend their time online leaving reviews for this show or arguing about it online.

Toons

But she was the one who set everything on fire

That seems pretty evident to not be the full story.

Its pretty clear they shot these 4 epsidoes knowing it would be a review package and didn't want any of the "big" moments to get spoiled out. So I'm thinking and hoping the pace will pick up following this first half.

If its anything like the ending of 4 it should be pretty fun.

Toons

I see the usual suspects are in full damage control.

No one said the show is a masterpiece. I find it perfectly fine. Not amazing, far from unwatchable. Epsiode 3 was the weakest and they've yet to get better than epsidoe 2.

This cycle repeats in some form every time a Disney star wars thing comes out, but star wars fans complaining about whatever new thing is out has been going on long as I've been alive. Theres been "damage" so long that it's lost any impact on me. I was around when ahsoka tano was a Mary Sue who disrespected the " legacy of the franchise" and "disrespected Skywalker" and proves Lucas had sold out... then she became the new golden standard for what a heroine in this franchise could be against the newer ones like rey... now she seems to have circled back into the status of ire.

Lucas learned the lesson quickly and stopped giving a rats ass what the people were saying. If he wanted to retcon some 90s book he retconend it. If he wanted midichlorians we were getting midichlorians. If he wanted maclunkey we were getting maclunkey. now fifteen years later those very things they were complaining about are the things they are begging to return.

This is business as usual for better or for worse. My only hope is those ups at Disney become privy to this and let their artist make their art. Some of it is going to suck, some of it is going to be good, but it will always be better than trying to appease an audience that is not possible to appease. Trying that is how you get TROS.

NickFire

No one said the show is a masterpiece. I find it perfectly fine. Not amazing, far from unwatchable. Epsiode 3 was the weakest and they've yet to get better than epsidoe 2.

This cycle repeats in some form every time a Disney star wars thing comes out, but star wars fans complaining about whatever new thing is out has been going on long as I've been alive. Theres been "damage" so long that it's lost any impact on me. I was around when ahsoka tano was a Mary Sue who disrespected the " legacy of the franchise" and "disrespected Skywalker" and proves Lucas had sold out... then she became the new golden standard for what a heroine in this franchise could be against the newer ones like rey... now she seems to have circled back into the status of ire.

Lucas learned the lesson quickly and stopped giving a rats ass what the people were saying. If he wanted to retcon some 90s book he retconend it. If he wanted midichlorians we were getting midichlorians. If he wanted maclunkey we were getting maclunkey. now fifteen years later those very things they were complaining about are the things they are begging to return.

This is business as usual for better or for worse. My only hope is those ups at Disney become privy to this and let their artist make their art. Some of it is going to suck, some of it is going to be good, but it will always be better than trying to appease an audience that is not possible to appease. Trying that is how you get TROS.
Is this satire?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
But... but she threatened to kill her sister. That doesn't sound like loyalty to me. That sounds like the writers forgot what they wrote.

Wrong.

Osha threatened to kill her sister when she found out she was alive ... Not Mae. Mae didn't find out until she saw her face to face. That's why she's having a change of heart because she thought the Jedi killed her sister Osha.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Wrong.

Osha threatened to kill her sister when she found out she was alive ... Not Mae. Mae didn't find out until she saw her face to face. That's why she's having a change of heart because she thought the Jedi killed her sister Osha.

It's still too abrupt of a change of heart. I can buy seeing her sister alive as a big push for Mae to change her allegiance, but to have it happen in that very instant is ridiculous. Seeing her sister alive after all these years should be the most shocking revelation of her life, and something like that should take time to emotionally and mentally process. A normal person would go through things like disbelief and anger. From her perspective, maybe it's a trick. Or maybe it's Smilo Ren testing her. Maybe she's mad Osha never tried to find her. Maybe she still blames the Jedi for what happened to her coven of witches. Maybe she'll still be in denial and stick to her cause because she know she's done terrible things. Not to mention whatever doctrine Smilo Ren has been filling her head with all those years.

Seeing her sister alive is a reasonable catalyst for her returning to the light. But in execution it was bad. This is middle school level writing, and it's strange to see people try to come to this show's defense. When even some of the more well known Youtube Star Wars shills are shaken by the quality of the show, that should be a major tell that maybe the show is kinda shit.

You know the phrase "Turn your brain off and enjoy"? This is a prime example of that. The show absolutely requires you to turn your brain off in order to even remotely find some enjoyment out of it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It was written by people who have little to their name. Either they've done nothing before or what they have done wasn't well received.

They honestly wrote her saying that she'll be forgiven for killing two Jedi because she has info on the Sith lord Dark Jedi (which is a thing that doesn't make sense). And you know what? I've seen writing from people like these ones and let me tell you, they will stupidly forgive her and just go "Oh she's good now even though she straight murdered two Jedi. No consequences for her. It wasn't her fault, she was being manipulated by the Sith Dark Jedi".
Anakin slaughtered a giant pile of children and there’s a whole “what about the good things Anakin taught?” subplot to Ahsoka.

The writers of that have plenty to their name lol

Granted Ahsoka fans also loved that subplot so go figure.

Last edited:

tkscz

Anakin slaughtered a giant pile of children and there’s a whole “what about the good things Anakin taught?” subplot to Ahsoka.

The writers of that have plenty to their name lol

Granted Ahsoka fans also loved that subplot so go figure.
And I thought that was dumb too, really wish George didn't have him go that far because that's some unforgivable shit.

Top Bottom