• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes 2015 |OT| Three Mitchells v Three Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its The Ashes this weeks, so time for the OT.

800px-Ashes_Urn.jpg

Current holders: Australia (since 17 December 2013)

Series Records:
Australia - Won 32 series, Lost 31, Drawn 5
England - Won 31, Lost 32, Drawn 5

Fixtures:
First Test, 8–12 July @ Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
Second Test, 16–20 July @ Lord's, London
Third Test, 29 July–2 August @ Edgbaston, Birmingham
Fourth Test, 6–10 August, Trent Bridge, Nottingham
Fifth Test, 20–24 August, The Oval, London

Media Coverage (these were from last English Tour, I will update when I have more information):

How to follow in Australia:
Free to air: Gem - coverage starts at 7.30pm EST, play at 8.00pm EST
Pay TV: Foxsports HD - pregame show starts at 7.00pm EST, play at 8.00pm EST
Radio: Tune into Grandstand's live coverage on ABC Local Radio, ABC Grandstand Digital Radio, online and on the ABC Radio mobile app.

How to follow in the UK (thanks Dan27):
Live coverage: Sky Sports Ashes HD (aka Sky Sports HD 2)
Highlights: Channel 5: Every day at 7pm
Radio (ball-by-ball commentary):BBC Five Live Sports Extra; BBC Radio 4 Long Wave; BBC iPlayer Radio app; BBC Sport website/app
Live text coverage: BBC Sport website & mobile apps

How to follow if you live elsewhere:
www.espncricinfo.com

Australia Squad:
Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith (vc), Brad Haddin (wk), Fawad Ahmed, Pat Cummins†, Josh Hazlewood, Ryan Harris (retired), Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill (wk), Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson

England Squad:
Alastair Cook (c), Joe Root (vc), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler (wk), Steven Finn, Adam Lyth, Adil Rashid, Ben Stokes, Mark Wood

Ashes-001.jpg

So begins the not-so-bi-yearly contest for a small container full of burnt wood.

The tourists
GVb3Rot.jpg

The current holders of the urn after the destruction of England in the last Ashes, Australia are coming into the series following the World Cup win, as well as series victories against the West Indies in the West Indies. Their bowling is in red hot form, however they were dealt a serious blow with the shock retirement of Ryan Harris after his long battle with his knee. They would hope that Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc and Mitchell Johnson will not need Harris's services.

Batting-wise, they are as prone to collapse as ever, but hopefully the experience of Voges and the meteoric rise of Steve Smith will tip the scales.

Highlights from the previous Ashes series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djbGMFQXfwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpm3mZE1Rh8

The hosts
DJLewmC.jpg

A lot has changed for England following their demolition down under. The players who brought England dominance when they managed to reach top ranking in tests, such as Kevin Pietersen, Graeme Swann, Jonathan Trott and Matt Prior have all dropped off for one reason or another. England now possesses a young and fairly raw squad that they would hope to take them to the future. They would be bolstered by Alastair Cook finally finding the form he lost, as well as the middle order of Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler and Moeen Ali to give them incredible batting depth. They would hope that Ballance and Bell recover from their loss of form, as well as for Lyth to finally provide stability in the rotating door that is being Cook's opening partner. However, will Mitchell Johnson open scars again, fresh and old?

Bowling-wise they will rely as usual on James Anderson and Stuart Broad, with Mark Wood and Ben Stokes providing support. Will Moeen Ali struggle again as he did recently?

Highlights from the previous Ashes.

Uh.... nada.

Teams will be pretty predictable now that Rhino is retired.
Though, Shaun and Mitch Marsh could both be in the team or both be out.

My first test XI for Australia

Warner, Rogers, Smith, Clarke, Voges, MMarsh, Haddin, Starc, Johnson, Hazlewood, Lyon

England:

Cook, Lyth, Balance, Bell, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Wood, Broad, Anderson

I personally would have Root at 3 if I was an English selector, but they dont have any cajones.

holygeesus

Banned
How on earth did Smith become the #1 batsman in the world? He was literally a joke the last time the Ashes were played out in this country. That's some career progression.

Keep Ballance at 3 and swap Root and Bell in the order.

I'd also have JB come in before Stokes, but that's just because I'd rather see him have less time batting with the tail

Porcile

Went to see Australia play Kent last week. Twas a fine day out.

My thoughts from that match were that Australia have a good batting team, but really average bowling line-up outside of Johnson IMO, especially if our wickets don't do as much. Personally, I think it's England's to win as long as our batting line-up doesn't implode like it usually does.

How on earth did Smith become the #1 batsman in the world? He was literally a joke the last time the Ashes were played out in this country. That's some career progression.

Last time he was in England he scored a pretty good hundred in the final test. Since then he has hit 8 hundreds and 7 half centuries in the last two years.

You think Root has been good since he was dropped (and I rate Root too), but Smith has scored more runs than him, over four different countries and almost five but got out for 97 in the UAE.

Yeah he has improved a heap, and probably exceeded most people's expectations. However, he was a teenage prodigy so maybe its just a story of a prodigy living up to his potential.

Im tipping him to give The Don's 947 runs record a crack this series (no watch him score nothing)...
Keep Ballance at 3 and swap Root and Bell in the order.

I'd also have JB come in before Stokes, but that's just because I'd rather see him have less time batting with the tail

I dont know why Root isnt no. 3. Ballance is a walking wicket and against MJ and Starc he will be tested with pace, which is his big problem.

I personally wouldnt have him in my team.

Went to see Australia play Kent last week. Twas a fine day out.

My thoughts from that match were that Australia have a good batting team, but really average bowling line-up outside of Johnson IMO, especially if our wickets don't do as much. Personally, I think it's England's to win as long as our batting line-up doesn't implode like it usually does.

They didnt play Starc and Hazlewood in the Kent game, and both of them are guns.

Starc averaged 12 in the series against Windies in the Windies - on flat and lifeless pitches. Swing, swings in the air.

Hazlewood is the next Glenn McGrath and will complement the two lefties very well. Think the accuracy of McGrath or Philander, but quicker (can maintain high 130s). On any pitch that Broad will find suits his bowling (i.e. bouncier pitches), Hazlewood will be licking his lips too.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Last time he was in England he scored a pretty good hundred in the final test. Since then he has hit 8 hundreds and 7 half centuries in the last two years.

You think Root has been good since he was dropped (and I rate Root too), but Smith has scored more runs than him, over four different countries and almost five but got out for 97 in the UAE.

Yeah he has improved a heap, and probably exceeded most people's expectations. However, he was a teenage prodigy so maybe its just a story of a prodigy living up to his potential.

Im tipping him to give The Don's 947 runs record a crack this series (no watch him score nothing)...

I dont know why Root isnt no. 3. Ballance is a walking wicket and against MJ and Starc he will be tested with pace, which is his big problem.

I personally wouldnt have him in my team.

Ballance deserves to play on form, plus there isn't an alternative (unless you assume Pietersen is a replacement which would be nice, but not possible).

Smith will do well, he's a real talent.

I think Australia are easy favourites as their bowling attack is so far ahead of ours it isn't even fair.

Ballance deserves to play on form, plus there isn't an alternative (unless you assume Pietersen is a replacement which would be nice, but not possible).

Smith will do well, he's a real talent.

I think Australia are easy favourites as their bowling attack is so far ahead of ours it isn't even fair.

yeah, if I was England selector - Pietersen would have never been dropped.

Seeing as he is not going to get picked, I would have brought in Taylor and moved Root and Bell up the order to 3, 4 respectively. Then have Taylor, Stokes, and Butler in the middle order. Taylor would complement Stokes and Butler's hitting nicely.

You need players who are going to put up a fight, I dont think Balance is one of them. Taylor, I dont know what sort of form he is in currently, but in Australia he showed some ticker and was up for taking on the Aussies.

L1NETT

I agree with Vaughan, stick Bell at 3. Shift Ballance down, he barely played at 3 for Yorkshire and if he's exposed to Starc/Johnson who are an extra 5/10mph to what he is used too he'll struggle.

Bell is a senior player, fair enough him/Ballance/Lyth aren't in the best of nick but you have to back them. Wouldn't be against Root there but i'd prefer to keep him where he is. We do have a decent middle order who could do some damage but if the Aussie strikers bowlers get wickets early doors we will easily crumble.

Do think we have a slim chance but Aussies have got too much experience (saying that some real grandpas. looking forward to seeing Shane Watson waddle about) and quality. We might steal a test but 3-1 with a draw in there is my prediction.

Depends on our top order, Cook maintaining his form, Broad and Anderson doing well.

Have tickets to the Brum test match, should be a good un.

I agree with Vaughan, stick Bell at 3. Shift Ballance down, he barely played at 3 for Yorkshire and if he's exposed to Starc/Johnson who are an extra 5/10mph to what he is used too he'll struggle.

Bell is a senior player, fair enough him/Ballance/Lyth aren't in the best of nick but you have to back them. Wouldn't be against Root there but i'd prefer to keep him where he is. We do have a decent middle order who could do some damage but if the Aussie strikers bowlers get wickets early doors we will easily crumble.

Do think we have a slim chance but Aussies have got too much experience (saying that some real grandpas. looking forward to seeing Shane Watson waddle about) and quality. We might steal a test but 3-1 with a draw in there is my prediction.

Depends on our top order, Cook maintaining his form, Broad and Anderson doing well.

Have tickets to the Brum test match, should be a good un.

I personally wouldnt bat Bell at three again, especially in his current form. My philosophy is that if you put Root there, you can leave him there for the next 10 years.

I watched some of the England V NZ series and I also dont think Lyth is what you need at the other end to Cook, especially against Australia.

They both are too slow and will put unnecessary pressure on their team. England need another opener who is proactive and is going to try and upset the Starc and Hazlewood opening spell. If not, they are only waiting for Mitch Johnson to come on.

Dunbar

Wanted to mention that for Americans like myself who want to listen to the coverage but are usually geoblocked, the England Cricket Youtube channel will be simulcasting the Test Match Special coverage for each Test:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ecbcricket

They've done this several times and I always appreciate it. We don't get any live audio or video coverage of the Ashes at all here otherwise.

Jezbollah

Great stuff Chicko. IN MY VEINS.

And here we are again gents.

I'm predicting a 3-0 series win for the Australians. Like the Aussies were a couple of summers ago, England are a team in transition. They are weak in the bowling attack - they havent really replaced Swann, and are still reliant on Anderson and Broad who are both getting on. Finn seems to be getting there after a few mis-firing starts and Wood is new but inexperienced.

They have still to really replace Andrew Strauss with an established opening partner for Cook (who seems to be returning to true form at the crease). Adam Lyth looks to be the better candidate that we've seen. Ballance needs to stamp his authority, and Bell owes some good form after a really patchy few months.

Overall, the man to watch for England (for me) is Ben Stokes. He has shown brief glimpses of being a game-changer in the mould of Flintoff in the recent tests. If he can do that in crucial moments, England *could* have a chance to win a test or two.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
yeah, if I was England selector - Pietersen would have never been dropped.

Seeing as he is not going to get picked, I would have brought in Taylor and moved Root and Bell up the order to 3, 4 respectively. Then have Taylor, Stokes, and Butler in the middle order. Taylor would complement Stokes and Butler's hitting nicely.

You need players who are going to put up a fight, I dont think Balance is one of them. Taylor, I dont know what sort of form he is in currently, but in Australia he showed some ticker and was up for taking on the Aussies.

Can't argue with the inclusion of Pietersen, but there you go...

Ballance is very underrated - his test match record is far, far better than Taylor's.

My approach would be;

Cook
Ballance
Pietersen
Root
Bell
Moeen
Buttler
Stokes
Anderson
Broad
Wood(?)

With Taylor being the other option for Pietersen (maybe switch Bell to 3 if Pietersen is out).

Ballance has played a lot of cricket opening and would be nicely suited to it. Moeen is a player I like but am not yet convinced on. Neither his batting nor his bowling have truly convinced me yet. However he is a much better batsman than Rashid and has more experience at bowling in Tests (neither are good enough pure spinners for tests).

I think Australia will win it 3-1. I suspect it will be like the last home series - neither side particularly great consistently but one side (Australia, this time) edging the key moments. Their bowling attack has the potential to knock us down for very little a few times in the series.

Can't argue with the inclusion of Pietersen, but there you go...

Ballance is very underrated - his test match record is far, far better than Taylor's.

My approach would be;

Cook
Ballance
Pietersen
Root
Bell
Moeen
Buttler
Stokes
Anderson
Broad
Wood(?)

With Taylor being the other option for Pietersen (maybe switch Bell to 3 if Pietersen is out).

Ballance has played a lot of cricket opening and would be nicely suited to it. Moeen is a player I like but am not yet convinced on. Neither his batting nor his bowling have truly convinced me yet. However he is a much better batsman than Rashid and has more experience at bowling in Tests (neither are good enough pure spinners for tests).

I think Australia will win it 3-1. I suspect it will be like the last home series - neither side particularly great consistently but one side (Australia, this time) edging the key moments. Their bowling attack has the potential to knock us down for very little a few times in the series.

For mine the ideal batting order formula should be something like:

Calm opener (langer/rogers)
Aggressive opener (Hayden/ Warner)
Best all round batsman (Ponting/ smith)
Best stroke maker (m Waugh/ Martin/ Clarke)
Veteran / old no. 3 (Steve Waugh/ border/ Voges)
Young gun / all rounder (Clarke and Ponting started here/ m marsh now)
Keeper batsman (gilly/ Haddin)
Bowler who can bat
Bowler
Bowler
Bowler

It's the same sort of formula successful Australian teams over the last 30 years have had.

For England, the they need an opener who will go after the bowling, their best batsman at three (in my opinion that is root), best stroke maker at four (kp), bell At five and then stokes at six. That would be a better balanced batting lineup I reckon.

mclem

Wanted to mention that for Americans like myself who want to listen to the coverage but are usually geoblocked, the England Cricket Youtube channel will be simulcasting the Test Match Special coverage for each Test:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ecbcricket

They've done this several times and I always appreciate it. We don't get any live audio or video coverage of the Ashes at all here otherwise.

I'm surprised by that, I thought all UK radio was ungeoblocked.

Bernbaum

We're lucky in Australia in that we get to watch the Ashes during business hours when we're hosting, and England-hosted series are viewable in prime time in the evenings.

There's plenty of British expats in the office, but they all disappeared from showing up to the break area TV's in our office during the last Ashes for some reason....

Guys, I don't think alastair cook is looking forward to the ashes all that much.

Oh god, what have I gotten myself into.

For mine the ideal batting order formula should be something like:

Calm opener (langer/rogers)
Aggressive opener (Hayden/ Warner)
Best all round batsman (Ponting/ smith)
Best stroke maker (m Waugh/ Martin/ Clarke)
Veteran / old no. 3 (Steve Waugh/ border/ Voges)
Young gun / all rounder (Clarke and Ponting started here/ m marsh now)
Keeper batsman (gilly/ Haddin)
Bowler who can bat
Bowler
Bowler
Bowler

It's the same sort of formula successful Australian teams over the last 30 years have had.

For England, the they need an opener who will go after the bowling, their best batsman at three (in my opinion that is root), best stroke maker at four (kp), bell At five and then stokes at six. That would be a better balanced batting lineup I reckon.

Might be a bit unfair on Langer to call him a calm opener! He could belt them with the best of them and really should have gotten a better go at one day cricket. Less than 6 runs difference between he and Hayden in strike rate and the poor guy is classed with Rogers. :p

I seem to recall one test where Langer brought up his 50 before Hayden had passed 1.

Window

Playing 4 test matches against Indian bowlers helps
but he's just been incredibly good

Oh god, what have I gotten myself into.

Might be a bit unfair on Langer to call him a calm opener! He could belt them with the best of them and really should have gotten a better go at one day cricket. Less than 6 runs difference between he and Hayden in strike rate and the poor guy is classed with Rogers. :p

I seem to recall one test where Langer brought up his 50 before Hayden had passed 1.

In the last two years of their careers, Langer's strike rate was actually well ahead of Hayden if I recall correctly. I loved watching Langer as a batsman and rate him highly. I think he is the perfect complement to an aggressive opener.

However, by calm opener, I suppose I mean one who didn't try to hit a bowler off his length and used the bowlers pace rather than his own strength. In that test where Langer brought up that quick 50, you'll find a lot of the shots were boundaries between cover and second slip. And if you can ever find footage of Langer charging a bowler, I'd like to see it.

And Rogers is a very good opening batsman too. Six half centuries in a row opening at test level is a damn fine achievement.

I would say Cook is the English equivalent to Rogers and Langer. He will make a bowler bowl to his strengths by leaving everything he can. Lyth is similar to this, though no where near Cooks level, and I don't think it is good for England to have both Cook and Lyth opening. They need an aggressive opener at the other end to try and hit the opening bowlers off their line.

It was a big problem for them in the series against NZ.

I hope Harris' injury doesn't mean that Watson will now get picked ahead of MMarsh.

Watson probably thinks his career has been ruined by injuries, which is partly true IMO, however, he has been blessed with being around at the right time. Batted no. 3 for ages because there was no one better, and now will be selected because of his experience.

My XI:
Warner, Rogers, Smith, Clarke, Voges, MMarsh, Haddin, Starc, Johnson, Hazlewood, Lyon

I've managed to get tickets to three days of the Lord's test and two days of the Oval test.

Can't wait till we surprise the Aussies with our New and Improved Formula.

I've managed to get tickets to three days of the Lord's test and two days of the Oval test.

Can't wait till we surprise the Aussies with our New and Improved Formula.

From all I have read from the English journalists, I think the POMS will be more surprised at how good Smith and Starc are now.

From all I have read from the English journalists, I think the POMS will be more surprised at how good Smith and Starc are now.

Smith has been in decent nick, but we'll see if that continues.

Starc on the other hand is a limited overs bowler, we'll see if he can produce in the five day format. 10 wickets against the Windies isn't exactly something to write home about and the rest of his test career is hardly amazing. He has a worse average and strike rate than Stuart Broad, who Aussies love to criticise.

3Sixty

Think everyone is understating England's bowlers ability to bowl to English conditions and how Australian batsmen deal with that.

Still think we'll lose but games will be competitive.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Goddamnit.

Why did you guys invent a sport that have to be outdoors for 5 days when it rains all the goddamn time.

I am predicting 3-1 for the Aussies.

They will win the first 2. Then a rained out draw. Then they will win the fourth match and then lose the fifth while playing Cummins, Siddle, Neville and Fawad.

Nodnol

Getting excited now.

I predict 2-1. Either way. I'm hoping the ODI and T20 performances will have inspired some of the squad, and we will see some brilliant individual performances. On the other hand, I'm fully expecting Cook to continue being a poor captain and making bad calls.

Antiwhippy

I swear to god, if they leave lyon out of the start of the ashes again...

Unless you're an ATG west indian side 4 seamers do not work.

Antiwhippy

Hmmm, batting first always seems more advantageous to me, but on the other hand I can't wait and see how our bowling will perform.

England win the toss, will bat.

Awesome.

Hmmm, batting first always seems more advantageous to me, but on the other hand I can't wait and see how our bowling will perform.

Yeah, it is way more advantageous in Australia where, if you manage to get through the first hour, you have awesome batting conditions.

Clarke was saying in an interview, that batting in England is different because overhead conditions change so much and the balls move more in the air during overcast conditions, that you never really get in, like in Australia.

I personally wouldnt mind bowling first in a big series, if you get a couple of early wickets, lots of pressure can build up quickly.

AxeMan

Cook needs to either

a) learn how to grow facial hair
b) start growing facial hair so it's ready before he'll be broadcast around the world on the 1st day of an Ashes series
c) give up trying to grow facial hair

Antiwhippy

Awesome.

Yeah, it is way more advantageous in Australia where, if you manage to get through the first hour, you have awesome batting conditions.

Clarke was saying in an interview, that batting in England is different because overhead conditions change so much and the balls move more in the air during overcast conditions, that you never really get in, like in Australia.

I personally wouldnt mind bowling first in a big series, if you get a couple of early wickets, lots of pressure can build up quickly.

I dunno, England wickets seem to get flatter and flatter. Would prefer to have runs on the board.

elfinke

Ooh, didn't occur to me that there would be an OT, despite there being OTs for each of the last few seasons!

What a bumper evening of TV, I'll be flicking back and forth between 008 and 080, even though I only care about the cricket. But you know, in order to be social at work this week, it's important that I catch a bit of the rugby!

Browny

Banned
The true benefit of dual screens at work - e-mails can wait. Glad to see Cook is looking to get runs on the board - it's the right thing to do at the beginning of a series. Fingers crossed we make it through to lunch in one piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom