• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes |OT| Australia v England 2013-2014 - All this fuss just for a lil' urn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxx19

Banned
No matter how you look at it though, it is one of the stupidest moves the ECB has ever made. They just lost 5 zip and the batsmen who did the best is the fall guy for it. It's clear that once everything went to shit he would get the tap on the shoulder again. The main reason though is that I think they want a fresh start with the new coach. Not having to deal with Pietersen will make their job a lot easier. Then again, no-one wanted to come forward for him, so maybe more went on behind the scenes then KP just being a drama queen.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright, guess I need to update how the second innings are calculated.

Fun finish at the end.

Gosh, can't believe brett lee is 37. Such a boyish face.

A shame it ended like that but it was still fun.

Also highlights a bit of a problem with T20 at the moment. It is pretty hard to care about a team when the best players are taken away for a final. Even if they do get to the champions league, the same thing will happen all over again.

Hopefully the schedule gets better.

tri_willy

what is more spineless than eng losing 5-0 to the aussies, is the ECB's treatment of KP. fubar'd

in other news, sangakarra scored 319 against bangedladesh. lol if there was a relegation to shit tier test, they would have made it ages ago

A shame it ended like that but it was still fun.

Also highlights a bit of a problem with T20 at the moment. It is pretty hard to care about a team when the best players are taken away for a final. Even if they do get to the champions league, the same thing will happen all over again.

Hopefully the schedule gets better.

My 5 year old niece is going to be pissed tomorrow. The sixers are her favourite team, only because they wear pink!

Antiwhippy

My 5 year old niece is going to be pissed tomorrow. The sixers are her favourite team, only because they wear pink!

You should get her to see some early west indies ODI cricket then!

Pink-clothed, big and extremely quick men sending down death to the other end.

Jezbollah

Has anyone seen this recent update of the KP story?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/716851.html

Goddamn dressing room politics. Makes the decision seem even more ill-conceived now that they've sacked flower too.

I was going to post the telegraph article outlining this very angle to the story.. I regret after reading this that Flower is gone. We have yet to hear KP's viewpoint (no doubt it'll be in some Sunday tabloid exclusive in the next few weeks).. but theres no doubt that the team is in disarray.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Has anyone seen this recent update of the KP story?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/716851.html

Goddamn dressing room politics. Makes the decision seem even more ill-conceived now that they've sacked flower too.

Pietersen was right about what was wrong with Flower's coaching style. Pretty much everyone agrees that it had become too strict and too inhibiting. No doubt he was obnoxious about it, but he at least said what was right in a meeting intended to sort out problems.

This whole situation is awful. Bring back KP :(

I think the KP situation highlights poor management by England and by Andy Flower and Cook in particular. Cook's sterile captaincy was as much to blame for England's poor showing as anybody. KP is a difficult player to manage, but he's a great batsman and is a big match player. Someone needed to manage him correctly.

Btw, anyone else feel we need a general cricket thread now so we can also discuss India Vs New Zealand and the upcoming Asia Cup and World T20?

EDIT: And AUS VS SA. Damn how could I forget that?

Jezbollah

I think the KP situation highlights poor management by England and by Andy Flower and Cook in particular. Cook's sterile captaincy was as much to blame for England's poor showing as anybody. KP is a difficult player to manage, but he's a great batsman and is a big match player. Someone needed to manage him correctly.

Btw, anyone else feel we need a general cricket thread now so we can also discuss India Vs New Zealand and the upcoming Asia Cup and World T20?

EDIT: And AUS VS SA. Damn how could I forget that?

Show where Cook's captaincy has been directly attributable to the KP situation? He was one of the voices that led to KP being brought back into the England fold.

Both KP and Flower are largely to blame for this - KP for misjudging the dressing room situation, and Flower for his mishandling of that situation.

What is underlying, is that KP has previous in terms of being destructive for dressing room morale with the "texting saga", and in terms of his ability he failed with some dismal shot selection (as did most of the England team) this past Ashes.

If this was any other player (who didnt have Piers Morgan trying to leg-hump them) then this would have all blown over by now.

kmag

Brendan McCullum must be feeling a bit of a dick at the minute. Bowl India out for 202 and have over 300 1st innings lead and a bunch of bowlers who hadn't bowled that much given how early in the day it is and perfect swing conditions and you decide not to enforce the follow on. 15-4 in 5 overs before lunch, cracking decision there Brendan.

It's a drop in, in New Zealand it's not going to break up there's no reason to think it's suddenly going to start spinning on the last day so chasing 150 or so isn't going to be that difficult. Had they put India back in they'd probably be winning the test by tea. As it is they'll still win unless the conditions change, or they bowl terribly or India bat brilliantly but dearie me I don't understand the issue modern teams have with the follow on. If the ball is doing a bit, you have fresh bowlers, and unless you think the pitch is going to deteriorate into a Bunsen burner on the final day then you put them in everytime.

Australia not enforcing the follow on when they had a Warne I can understand, even if the pitch isn't going to break down on the final day you still back a Warne to take the wickets.

kmag

25-5 in 12 overs. McCullum is a normally a good Captain but he's got a mental block when it comes to follow on's it cost them against England and with 'only' a lead of 326 it could cost them here. It probably won't as you wouldn't back India to bat well enough.

Antiwhippy

So the ICC changes have been passed.

Disgusting really. I hope the minnow nations don't get shafted due to BCCI, CA and ECB wanting only matches which are financially fruitful.

Show where Cook's captaincy has been directly attributable to the KP situation? He was one of the voices that led to KP being brought back into the England fold.

Both KP and Flower are largely to blame for this - KP for misjudging the dressing room situation, and Flower for his mishandling of that situation.

What is underlying, is that KP has previous in terms of being destructive for dressing room morale with the "texting saga", and in terms of his ability he failed with some dismal shot selection (as did most of the England team) this past Ashes.

If this was any other player (who didnt have Piers Morgan trying to leg-hump them) then this would have all blown over by now.

There have been many reports about a 'him or me' stance taken by Cook during the meetings with the ECB. And now with the story about the meeting between the players without the coaching staff just gives more validity to Cook wanting Pieterson out of the picture.

Also, who didn't have dismal shot selection in the Ashes from England's end? The team should collectively take responsibility for the loss instead of dumping it on one person.

Disgusting really. I hope the minnow nations don't get shafted due to BCCI, CA and ECB wanting only matches which are financially fruitful.

Terrible decision for cricket. Looks like CSA abandoned the cause. This would probably be a matter of concern for PCB and SLC going forward because they did not vote and were in the opposition.

Jezbollah

There have been many reports about a 'him or me' stance taken by Cook during the meetings with the ECB. And now with the story about the meeting between the players without the coaching staff just gives more validity to Cook wanting Pieterson out of the picture.

Also, who didn't have dismal shot selection in the Ashes from England's end? The team should collectively take responsibility for the loss instead of dumping it on one person.

So from your point of view, Cook going from being instrumental in bringing KP back, to going to a "him or me" stance would indicate KP not being at major fault here?

Goddamn Safricans, can't even vote without choking.

The ICC Board has gained the necessary votes to approve a large number of proposed changes relating to the governance, competition and financial models of the organisation, according to a press release issued after its meeting in Singapore. Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) and the PCB were the only two Full Members who abstained when a "comprehensive resolution" was put to vote.

In the key executive decisions arrived at the meeting, it was stated that BCCI president N Srinivasan would become the ICC chairman from July this year, while CA chairman Wally Edwards would head a newly-formed Executive Committee, which will report to the ICC Board. The ECB chairman Giles Clarke will continue to be the head of the Finance and Commercial Affairs (F&CA) Committee. These have become the three most important positions in the ICC and the release stated that, "These roles will be for an initial two-year transitional period to 2016 only."

At the end of this "transitional period... the Chair of the ICC Board will be elected from within the ICC Board with all Full Member Directors entitled to stand for election. BCCI, CA and ECB - will be represented on both sub-committees, along with two representatives of the other Full Members (who will be elected by the Board)."

Fuck off. This whole situation is so fucked. Let's just change the name back to Imperial Cricket Conference.

Associate nations must be loving this:

infographics-graph-distribution-1.jpg

Watson out of the First Test:

Watson Out

With Hughes saying Doolan is ahead of him, I imagine Doolan at 3 and maybe Henriques at 6 as cover to the bowlers. I'm sure CA still hasn't given up on discovering that "world class" allrounder so I can't imagine they would pick Doolan and Hughes. They must have known Watson was doubtful when Marsh couldn't go, hence the replacement allrounder and not a batsman like Lynn etc...

http://cdn.wisdenindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/infographics-graph-distribution-1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The BCCI achieved their goal though. They get a shitload more money and undercut any attempts to grow the sport outside of their sphere of influence.

Pathetic and small minded move.

Watson Out

With Hughes saying Doolan is ahead of him, I imagine Doolan at 3 and maybe Henriques at 6 as cover to the bowlers. I'm sure CA still hasn't given up on discovering that "world class" allrounder so I can't imagine they would pick Doolan and Hughes. They must have known Watson was doubtful when Marsh couldn't go, hence the replacement allrounder and not a batsman like Lynn etc...

I heard that Watson hadn't bowled on tour so far so that is not heaps surprising.

Henriques or pattinson? I would probably play pattinson. Henriques is a better bat, slightly, but pattinson is the far better bowler.

The three options for the first test are:

1. Warner, Rogers, Doolan (he's guaranteed the first test there), Clarke, smith, Haddin, Johnson, pattinson, siddle, Harris, Lyon
2. Warner, Rogers, doolan, Clarke, smith, Haddin, henriques, Johnson, siddle, Harris, Lyon
3. Warner, Rogers, doolan, Clarke, smith, Hughes, Haddin, Johnson, siddle, Harris, Lyon

Option 1 is my preference, option two is what they will go for, option 3 would be ok in the subcontinent when Warner and smith can bowl a few overs.

As for the world class all rounder. James Faulkner is getting there and I'm surprised they took Henriques ahead of him. Probably only did as Faulkner playing the odi series here so may need a rest....weird selection as his first class batting average is as good as henriques but he plays in hobart as well

Yagharek

Faulkner was selected but got injured in the last ODI

edit: Faulkner and Marsh were both injured and got replaced by Hughes and Henriques.

Watson Out

Come on CA. It's time to wake up and cut this waste of space loose. He doesn't bowl and isn't good enough to be kept in the team as a batter.

Hopefully Doolan gets a shot in the first test.

Zapages

So sad to see Cricket end like this… Good job on PCB and SLC to keeping to their guns. Screw BCCI! Seriously what do they gain from this except for money… Bunch of Greedy folks IMHO! :(

Faulkner was selected but got injured in the last ODI

edit: Faulkner and Marsh were both injured and got replaced by Hughes and Henriques.

Ah, forgot about that injury to Faulkner. He is the best all rounder in the country at the moment. I would take a 100% fit Watson over a 100% Faulkner but Faulkner is improving and has the potential to become a world class all rounder, even the best all rounder int he world for a long time at test level.

His batting was great in the odi series' in India and Australia. I didn't think he would get to this level so quickly with the bat.

How good is this bowling from Southee.

I have liked the look of all the kiwi left armers. They are all pretty disciplined and swing it a bit. They will cause lots of problems for teams when conditions suit them because they all swing it. They were all really good against windies as well.

However, if they lose this test after scoring 500+ in the first innings it's a big loss.

Dhawan is looking really good here as well which is bad news for the kiwis. I liked the pitch map which they just had up showing the distinct line and length which he has been leaving this innings. Looks like he has found his groove.

infographics-graph-distribution-1.jpg

It's bad when it is put like that. However this is the dollar value compared to their current ICc funding.

I don't agree with the proposal but the smaller nations think they will save a lot more from not having to schedule unprofitable test series (like windies and Sri Lanka have to do during rain seasons).

Zapages

on a different note. How many of you guys have tried the Don Bradman Cricket 2014's Nets on the PC? Also its coming out on PS3/360 this March and then in May for PC… Then eventually it come on PS4/Xbox One.

Huge wicket there, especially with the new ball coming soon.

on a different note. How many of you guys have tried the Don Bradman Cricket 2014's Nets on the PC? Also its coming out on PS3/360 this March and then in May for PC… Then eventually it come on PS4/Xbox One.

Some of it looks promising, other videos make it look like other games where you can drive yorkers off your toes over cover.

Having said that, if you can save in the middle of online test matches then I'll have to get it.

Wicket off the first delivery with the new ball, umpire missing a massive inside edge which makes it even better. If only there was some sort of system where we could review decisions during the game...

Zapages

Huge wicket there, especially with the new ball coming soon.

Some of it looks promising, other videos make it look like other games where you can drive yorkers off your toes over cover.

Having said that, if you can save in the middle of online test matches then I'll have to get it.

Please try the nets. It gets a bit difficult on the higher settings.

Here's the demo for the nets: http://www.planetcricket.net/forums...ket-academy-v0-9994-beta-available-87105.html

The last cricket game that I played was made by EA. So its a huge jump from what I can tell.

Antiwhippy

Thrilling match in the end. Some controversial calls though, and I do wonder if the BCCI regrets opposing the DRS.

Zapages

Thrilling match in the end. Some controversial calls though, and I do wonder if the BCCI regrets opposing the DRS.

nah because they control the ICC. :| BCCI so don't deserve to control the ICC it does not matter who brings the money… It matters who is the best team. :|

I am happy to see them lose against NZ. NZ played really well!

artist

Banned
I am happy to see them lose against NZ.
Really surprising coming from a Pakistani!!!! Pretty sure firecrackers are going off in Pakistan. Really pathetic :/

Congrats on the win NZ. Good fight by India, unexpected. And a great test match.

Also fuck DRS despite the bad calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom