• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes |OT| Australia v England 2013-2014 - All this fuss just for a lil' urn

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

Come on England. you can do this.

It would be remarkable if they cuffed it up from here. They won't. They've actually bowled pretty well far better than Australia, although to be fair they've been up against a distinctly b team batting line up today with a fair few of the players batting out of position in the line up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What would be the A team bowling lineup?

I think it's just the A team bowling crap. Batting wise definitely B team though.

kmag

What would be the A team bowling lineup?

I think it's just the A team bowling crap. Batting wise definitely B team though.

Sorry I mean batting. Was a bit distracted at the time. Although Pattinson was worse than a man down he's clearly not had enough cricket to play international cricket at the moment, and it should be one of Faulkner and Coulter-Nile not both.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, pattinson has been incredibly costly.

Dunno about NCN or faulkner though. Faulkner is definitely in for his batting too (though he was more useful as a bowler today) and without NCN who else can we have as a strike bowler? Ryan harris but they're not letting him play ODIs.

Burli

Pringo
This game was the latest bit of excellent tactics by Australia - by resting almost all of their key players they've made it so that even when England win it'll feel hollow. No Haddin, Clarke or Warner. Australia can demoralise England even when they lose.

EDIT: Jesus stokes, dropped a match winning catch. He obviously wants that 5'fer.

artist

Banned
If NZ beat india tomorrow it'll still be true. :p
If Aus lose the last one, it will not be .. see how it goes?

I guess you dont count your chickens too early. Besides, it's better to be no.1 by winning yourself, not by others losing. Pretty sure that's the real mentality on the ground as well.

Antiwhippy

If Aus lose the last one, it will not be .. see how it goes?

I guess you dont count your chickens too early. Besides, it's better to be no.1 by winning yourself, not by others losing. Pretty sure that's the real mentality on the ground as well.

I know, plus I don't really care about rankings that much. Still, I can find some humour in that dumb twitter image.

England won ? pardon me for a moment............

dance-of-joy-o.gif

Moxx19

Banned
Thought the decision to send them in was fine, just didn't bowl well enough, and didn't find the boundary often enough.

Burli

Pringo
Just watching the highlights and listening to the Australian crowd's "Broady's a wanka" chant because he appealed. What a creative and classy bunch, as usual.

Now they're chanting it because he got a wicket.. then took a catch. They've also started swapping the names around and just using it on whichever player is bowling. Embarrassing.

dejay

Banned
Just watching the highlights and listening to the Australian crowd's "Broady's a wanka" chant because he appealed. What a creative and classy bunch, as usual.

Now they're chanting it because he got a wicket.. then took a catch. They've also started swapping the names around and just using it on whichever player is bowling. Embarrassing.

I don't mind a bit of crowd sledging but there was a bit too much in yesterday's game.

It's kind of been a tradition since Richard Hadlee from NZ copped it during the '80s. "Hadlee's a wanker" only urged Hadlee to take more Australian wickets. Broad should use it the same way.

Antiwhippy

I know it's not directly applicable but seeing how lyon has bowled for the sydney sixers today I see no reason why he shouldn't be given a chance in the ODI team too. Surely we can do better than maxwell, but maxwell hasn't been too bad.

kmag

Poor decision to bat first. The ball is swinging and gripping and they can't get it away, you want to be chasing in that situation as it's unlikely you're going to be able to build scoreboard pressure. And frankly the batting lineup isn't that strong especially now with the two failures early on.

Clarke gone. 43-3 off 14. An absolutely shocking display of batting all the way around. They look miles away from being able to post a competitive score and should never have batted first on this wicket (I suppose that comes down to a lack of faith in the bowlers). Bailey will be in to nip off to slip within a couple of overs. Gone last ball before drinks, an absolutely terrible time to try to hoick that ball.

kmag

64/4 Marsh gone. Stokes gets so many wickets off nothing balls. Great knack to have. Australia will do well to get to 200.

And Stokes gets Maxwell off another slow innocuous ball. Terrible shot just when Australia looked to be building a platform. 112/5

Australia would bite your hand off for 230. They'll need to go some to get there at 128-5 with 17 overs left.

kmag

I still cant believe that the selectors picked Marsh over Bailey .. #nowords

Neither should have been picked. Bailey gets away with his issues outside off in the middle overs of ODI when a slip fielder is rare. Marsh just doesn't have the FC record to be anywhere near a test side.

kmag

On this sort of pitch the powerplay fielding restrictions work against the batting side. The restrictions in the last overs will hurt them as well. It's hard to get the ball away.

Aside from being probably around 50 runs light, I'm not sure Australia have the bowling attack to keep it tight. They'll need the spinners to bowl exceptionally well with Clarke also bowling, and the seamers to bowl tight.

It'll be an interesting match if Australia can go tonto and get 80-100 from the final 12. 230-250 is probably still a bit light but the pitch is doing enough to make it a defensible score.

seanoff

crowd in adelaide should get a refund.

both sides are completely flat.

Australia don't look interested and england only slightly more so, but geez its close.

they are both really just going through the motions.

and Wade should never play again. he is not an international cricketer.

kmag

crowd in adelaide should get a refund.

both sides are completely flat.

Australia don't look interested and england only slightly more so, but geez its close.

they are both really just going through the motions.

and Wade should never play again. he is not an international cricketer.

Australia, relatively understandably given their schedule, have mixed up their team too often and in some frankly bizarre combinations.

kmag

218 the chase. England will do that pretty easily. It's completely set up for the way they play. Slow and steady.

kmag

McKay is another who on form should be nowhere near international cricket. A quick look at his run up and action shows he's completely out of form and low on pace.

kmag

Clarke being a fool here. Doing a Cook and captaining by rote.It's like the middle overs have to be spin. Neither of these two are troubled by the spin (or lack of it) coming at them and they're scoring easily without risk, yet Clarke seems hell bent on getting 20 overs in the middle of his two non threatening spinners. Cook and Root were struggling to get the seamers away.

Clarke has let the game get away from him here. You'd have been better bowling 10 overs of Watson or even Finch. Slow seam is the way to go on this pitch.

kmag

This is pretty much over. Australia got it all wrong today. Wrong side, wrong decision to bat and poor shot selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom