• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes |OT| Australia v England 2013-2014 - All this fuss just for a lil' urn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would prefer a thread reboot - there's more to Cricket than the Aussies (no offence, chaps :) )

The official thread definitely needs a reboot. When the discussion was kept to the actual play out on the filed it was fine, however, the discussion of comparison of teams and players made it toxic.

Maybe the new thread needs some strict rules:
Discussion should only be kept to series which are currently being played and the teams involved.
No comparison of retired players' stats
No comparison of non-competing players' stats (I.e. Indian players v any of the South African or Aussie test team players coming up).

Muirhead does look good, gets good spin and is prepared to throw it up.

He doesn't have any variation yet, the one flipper he tried to bowl was a full toss, but showed he had a brain throwing it up wide after being smashed for six.

There is something there as turning it and bounce seem to come pretty easy for him, he is tall but he doesn't look like he is putting a lot of effort into it.

Good signs for Aussies though, hopefully they take him to World Cup and play him in front of Doherty.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Definitely would like to see more variations for him, but he's really young. Incredibly young in fact. That will come with time.

I think richie benaud said it, that as a leg spinner you first have learn how to bowl a ripping leg spin. He's got that one down relatively well.

Just looking at the scorecard from the pms xi match muirhead played in and he got Cook, pietersen, bell and Carberry all out in that match. Not a bad first class debut!

Definitely would like to see more variations for him, but he's really young. Incredibly young in fact. That will come with time.

I think richie benaud said it, that as a leg spinner you first have learn how to bowl a ripping leg spin. He's got that one down relatively well.

Yep, a leg spinner doesn't need much variation if they can land their stock ball accurately and can turn it a bit. The revs that come with wrist spinning will give it drift and dip that will make it hard enough to put away.

This is why I didn't rate the young English Leggie that played the final test because he didn't rip the ball, it didn't spin a lot or get the drift needed to lull the batsman into a false shot.

However, to get the top level test batsmen out regularly, you need some variation as a spinner. I havent seen muirhead attempt a wrongun in these matches yet he tried a flipper!

Shane warne said the flipper is the hardest ball to master as a leggie which is why he loved it so much. Warne also didn't bowl a flipper until about his second year at test cricket when he brought it out after a whole winter of practicing it.

Muirhead needs to work on a wrongun or a top spinner before attempting a flipper.

He looks good though, I'm excited for him.

Great summer for Australia. Still some questions to be answered, but the team is moving in the right direction.

Having said that, I never want to see them play England again in my life.

I would prefer a thread reboot - there's more to Cricket than the Aussies (no offence, chaps :) )

The official thread definitely needs a reboot. When the discussion was kept to the actual play out on the filed it was fine, however, the discussion of comparison of teams and players made it toxic.

Maybe the new thread needs some strict rules:
Discussion should only be kept to series which are currently being played and the teams involved.
No comparison of retired players' stats
No comparison of non-competing players' stats (I.e. Indian players v any of the South African or Aussie test team players coming up).

Let's start with an official thread reboot then hey? Chicko can have the honours of creating it. If it then goes sour, we can decide if we want to break off into different threads.

Absolute drubbing today.

Muirhead turning into a very good prospect for australia.

Bowled well, tbf.

Nice work. I didn't catch any of the bowling. Too painful watching Australia flog them again and again.

So glad the England series is over now. Let's go play a country that'll test us and show us where we really are at.
That sounds douche-like but boy England were terrible all summer.

Jezbollah

To be fair, I think most of England really hit zero on the Giveafuckometer once the Ashes were decided. Best for both teams to move on - I'd like to see how this SA/Aus series goes, and I want to see this rebuilding phase for England.

elfinke

Wow. Fancy that.

Good committee-made OT decision above, too. I look forward to it. Definitely lay out the OP with flashing banners, like a Steam Sale OT, laying down some basic rules. I'd like the thread to enable discussion of weekend cricket for those of us playing (my local comp is in the late-Friday-night 20/20 phase, which is interesting - I dislike playing 20/20 even more than watching it), as well as light conversation around contemporary tours.

Am certainly not interested in cross-era stats, numbers or other intangible comparisons being made.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Yup. Don't have a team of choice yet and probably wont. They need to do something with the uniform, all terrible.

Muirhead is bowling for the Stars apparently.

140-150 max. Strange not too many demons in the pitch just poor shot selection.

I wonder how Dougie keeps his hair hat on? Double sided tape? Clag?

As a fellow right-arm outswing bowler, that Daniel Worrall floods me with strange and confusing feelings. I'm surprised Fleming isn't all over him hailing him as the optimal evolutionary outcome of bowlology.

Another post that Paine > Wade.

Getting back into some ripper form. Need to translate that into the other formats. Definitely a great player and would have been in the Australian team years ago if it weren't for Dirk Nannas and that stupid All-Stars game.

Smashing win by the Canes too. Hitting form at the right time.

How do they decide who gets the home final?

I assume as the Sixers and Scorchers were ranked 2 and 3 and Hobart 4 in the regular season, the winner of tomorrow night will host the final.

Wade is a terrible keeper, I don't think I've seen another one who drops as many balls, not even wickets, as he does. I don't know if it's technique or concentration, but I would have to put at the very least Paine, Carters and Whitehead ahead of him.

Antiwhippy

Man, what is with this sudden surge of young Aussie legspinners (well, 3, but that's plenty) appearing in the domestic and even international scene. We have muirhead, boyce and zampa.

South Africa currently 151/7 against a composite team in he heir warm up match ahead of the first test.

Amla still out of form, du pleasing not doing much at no 4 and ab still not fit to play from his hand surgery. Not good signs for them.

Still, at least they get a warm up match....

Yagharek

I just love knowing this game makes Eddie Dumbfuck upset. Telling off Paine for making silly comments on air (ironic given his king kong racism comments last year) and threats of legal action.

Moxx19

Banned
I just love knowing this game makes Eddie Dumbfuck upset. Telling off Paine for making silly comments on air (ironic given his king kong racism comments last year) and threats of legal action.

Yep, I loved how he bashed Paine's keeping too. Coming from someone who has Mr. Scissorhands as their keeper.

Moxx19

Banned
FMD. This has to be one of the worst tours of all time. The squad that came here looks nothing like the squad that left. What an absolute farce.

Jezbollah

I'm happy with that. KP is an egomaniac who should never have been brought back after the South Africa saga. He was also past his prime when that happened.

kmag

Joe Root is currently Englands 3rd most experienced batsman and he's only had 15 tests. And on current form he'd be doing well to get a game. They've basically got 5 players who are guaranteed a game (Cook,Bell,Stokes,Broad and Anderson), one of them is a promising beginner who is still a bits and pieces all rounder, one of them is the Captain who if he wasn't Captain would also be struggling to get a game, and another is 32 year old seamer who looks like his best days are behind him.

They need a wicketkeeper, a 3rd seamer and a spinner and have question marks at 3 positions in the top order, and a very weak looking middle order.

You could conceivably be looking at a test team of

1. Cook
2. Carberry
3. Bell
4. Root
5. Ballance
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Broad
9. Onions
10. Anderson
11. Kerrigan

to face Sri Lanka and India. They'll probably do well given enough given that they're at home and Sri Lanka aren't what they were and India don't have any bowlers but that's a pretty weak side.

Oh my I can't believe they just killed Pietersen's career like that! He is only 33 years old! But it seems like he was a bad influence on the team.

Can he go play for South Africa now? He is way too young

elfinke

Ridiculous that they got rid of him. It is a testament to the failure of the management that they could not better use him.

Perfect. Every large football team in history has had to deal with this, so it's not like there aren't established best practices and people who know how to deal with this. Damn, the ECB probably could have talked with Sir Alex (given he doesn't have much to do these days... lol) and learned a whole bunch on dealing with egos and personalities in just a weekend or two.

To toss him aside like this is a travesty. I guess KP can console himself with IPL money though, so that's something?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I think it's clear that the end of his England career is not down to his on pitch performances.

No shit, but team spirit is something you have when you win. Let me find the quote... 'Team spirit is an illusion glimpsed in the moment of victory'. You win with players of Pietersen's quality. If you can't handle a difficult person, you aren't a great captain/management team. Do people seriously think Graeme Swann or Matt Prior or Broad aren't total cocks either? They just get on with the leadership better.

There is no doubt that he is bit precious but the problem England have is that they were programmed to be automatons under Flower/Cook. Fun and vigour was driven out in favour of 'hard work' and statistics. I don't think removing one of the wildcard elements we had is helpful. Not when so many have already gone.

Moxx19

Banned
I honestly feel his fate was sealed after the South Africa debacle. They brought him back to try and win the Ashes. Once those were gone, they said fuck it and killed 2 birds with one stone by making him the fall guy and giving them a scapegoat.

EDIT: Is anyone reading Piers Morgan's twitter? Between that and hearing Eddie Mcchinny on the news again this morning my house has been filled with bursts of laughter.

Jezbollah

Just saw a tweet to say that says: "Mike Atherton in tomorrow's Times writes there were no senior players willing to persuade Downton that Pietersen should remain in side."

So there we go.

Edit: Different tweet here, this one from Ollie Holt: "To lose Cook's support is quite an achievement." Blurb for @Athersmike piece in Times. Hard to disagree. Cook's not exactly Mr Hair Trigger

No shit, but team spirit is something you have when you win. Let me find the quote... 'Team spirit is an illusion glimpsed in the moment of victory'. You win with players of Pietersen's quality. If you can't handle a difficult person, you aren't a great captain/management team. Do people seriously think Graeme Swann or Matt Prior or Broad aren't total cocks either? They just get on with the leadership better.

There is no doubt that he is bit precious but the problem England have is that they were programmed to be automatons under Flower/Cook. Fun and vigour was driven out in favour of 'hard work' and statistics. I don't think removing one of the wildcard elements we had is helpful. Not when so many have already gone.

Yep, all is forgiven when you're winning. People forget that David Warner is a bit of a tool, Watson is impossibly self-absorbed, Johnson is aloof at best and Clarke is a complete knob. How anyone can get offside with both Simon Katich and Mike Hussey is beyond me!

Under Arthur Australia went too far down the statistical self-analysis route and forgot the fun. Lehman turned that around. Now whether that changed the direction of Australian cricket or England just self-destructed. we'll find out in the next month.

Antiwhippy

I somehow don't think any of england's problems will be solved by forcing KP to go. If anything it's going to be harder, now that there are so many holes in the top order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom