• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Then perform better. Nintendo melt downs in the Black Culture Thread...you can't even get a regular L, your L is silent.

giphy.gif

Malyse

What's so great about Cloud on smash bros. I thought everyone hated ff7 and called it overrated

I like it because it completes the old school connection. Capcom, Konami, Sega, Namco, and now Square have reps in smash.

------

Xb18I0h.jpg

TOTALLY NOT ABOUT LINKLE GUYS. JUST A COINCIDENCE HE POSTED THIS AFTER THE NINTENDO DIRECT.

...right.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Linkle doesn't even feel like that big a deal. I'd rather just have female Link from the Zelda Wii U trailer as a Hyrule Warriors character.

Malyse

Clearly not.
FF7 is overrated, but people seem to forget that a thing has to be inherently initially good in order for it to become overrated. FF7 is by Square's own admission a remix of FF6 in 3D polygons with slightly modified story beats (Spoiler: Ocarina of Time is a remix of Link to the Past). But as with Zelda and many other long running series, the first cut is the deepest. A lot of people's first FF if not first RPG period was VII and nostalgia is a hell of a drug. This is the same reason people a desperate for another iteration on the amazingly mediocre Legend of the Dragoon.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I can't anymore with this cornell thread brehs
It just exists as an excuse for people to point at like "see, what did I tell you, those blacks have gone too far again". Everyone ignores the fact that it is a non-issue, it literally exists to shore support for people trying undermine the real issues.

It just exists as an excuse for people to point at like "see, what did I tell you, those blacks have gone too far again". Everyone ignores the fact that it is a non-issue, it literally exists to shore support for people trying undermine the real issues.

Bingo. The OT gaf cycle continues.

FF7 is overrated, but people seem to forget that a thing has to be inherently initially good in order for it to become overrated. FF7 is by Square's own admission a remix of FF6 in 3D polygons with slightly modified story beats (Spoiler: Ocarina of Time is a remix of Link to the Past). But as with Zelda and many other long running series, the first cut is the deepest. A lot of people's first FF if not first RPG period was VII and nostalgia is a hell of a drug. This is the same reason people a desperate for another iteration on the amazingly mediocre Legend of the Dragoon.

People keep saying this and yet it's still the most popular of the Final Fantasy games. Hell, the most common argument for it being overrated is "it's not this other Final Fantasy I played first!" FF7 clearly affected people in a way previous and subsequent games in the series have not managed, calling it overrated because of personal preference in contrast to the overwhelming public opinion seems petty.

Malyse

People keep saying this and yet it's still the most popular of the Final Fantasy games. Hell, the most common argument for it being overrated is "it's not this other Final Fantasy I played first!" FF7 clearly affected people in a way previous and subsequent games in the series have not managed, calling it overrated because of personal preference in contrast to the overwhelming public opinion seems petty.
So we're making the false equivalence that most popular = best? K.

Yeah, people wanna act like the BSU didn't say his intentions weren't suspect. Their very well may have been an ulterior motive. But all we here is "oh, those black kids are being exclusive, this isn't how we progress". Foh.

You know, thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me much if the OP was the guy who created the FB event in the first place.

Stranger things have happened.

Malyse

Who said anything about best? Not overrated =/= best.

No one's saying that it's the absolute best, just that calling overrated is ridiculous.

If there is something that is considered the best, and you can objectively argue that there are better things of its ilk available at ease, how is said thing not overrated? FFVII is frequently called the best RPG ever. Objectively FFVII is a mess. It's absolutely overrated and I can't wait to see people struggle to defend their nostalgic hyperbole when the remake drops.

Imm0rt4l

People reallty don't see the issue there is for people to start a protest and not involve the people the protest is for?
Word, some people just want brownie points but get upset whrn you call them on their bullshit. People need to learn how to stay in their own lane. You can't speak FOR a marganized group as a person of privilege. But you can use your privilege as leverage to effect change. But this is also problematic. It means people are more willing to listen to white voices.

If there is something that is considered the best, and you can objectively argue that there are better things of its ilk available at ease, how is said thing not overrated? FFVII is frequently called the best RPG ever. Objectively FFVII is a mess. It's absolutely overrated and I can't wait to see people struggle to defend their nostalgic hyperbole when the remake drops.

Nah man, how did FF7 hurt you?

Which Final Fantasy isn't "objectively" a mess?

Nostalgic hyperbole is applicable to every single Final Fantasy game. Especially the ones people trot out as more deserving of FF7's place in the sun.

Slayven

amazing how those threads attract junior members that been on the site for 3 years and only have 12 posts. Many of them suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom