• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johndoey

Banned
That interview thread is seriously the worst, I mean really.

-----
Shield is reminding me of how bad they messed up Ronan in Guardians.

Numb

The writer of Dragonball Evolution is sorry...

Am I the only one who didn't know he was Black?

ben-ramsey-headshot-dragonball-evolution.jpg

ben-ramsey-headshot-dragonball-evolution-writer-1.jpg
when is he gonna drop his album tho?

Legend of Korra definitely wasn't a smooth ride, but I never could relate to the folks who hated her in Book 1. That forced character regression in Book 2 made her insufferable for a while though.

Slayven

Kreed

Do the other ones tell you what specific country and tribe you're from?

The one I used off of Groupon for 20% off (AncestryDNA) breaks down your DNA by country on their website and compares you with other natives from that country. In my case I had 14 countries (mostly Africa, but some in Europe, North America, and Asia), and I got a break down for each.

Anyway I've only used that one site and I'm still convincing my parents/relatives to do it so we can get further break downs, so I can't tell you these guys are better than African Ancestry. But at 200 more dollars, I would suggest doing some comparison shopping, cause nothing you're posting/nothing on their site outside of the certificates and booklets sounds like anything I didn't get.

D i Z

Why folks so proud to display their Ls?

Something to do with having nothing of substance to contribute but needing attention regardless.

Anyone here ever play any of the Tropico games? I've been curious for the longest time about them. Even came close to purchasing a couple once or twice, but never pulled the trigger.

Daisy Ridley needs to quit fuckin with my shipper heart yo, word to my mother!

Anyway, out of class and in bed with my new set of ear infection meds. How are y'all tonight?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think I've come to a decision to move to Japan or China in the next 6 months (my own timetable) and since i have hardly any savings i was considering taking money out of my 401k. I dont think i can take another year or more working at the same job dealing with the same crap. i know there are tax penalties just dont know how severe. good idea? Within the six months i will be selling all my ps2, ps3, dreamcast and xbox 360 games among other junk on ebay.

Sch1sm

I think I've come to a decision to move to Japan or China in the next 6 months (my own timetable) and since i have hardly any savings i was considering taking money out of my 401k. I dont think i can take another year or more working at the same job dealing with the same crap. i know there are tax penalties just dont know how severe. good idea? Within the six months i will be selling all my ps2, ps3, dreamcast and xbox 360 games among other junk on ebay.

Is it so bad you can't stay for a while longer than 6 months to save enough that it isn't such a gamble with how severe or otherwise any penalties are? I'd just think of it as a means to an end for now and save up so you can comfortable move to Japan, China, or wherever you please. If you hardly have any savings, do you at least have some job prospect set up in those countries yet? I dunnoooooo about that one, bud.

I liked season 2 of Korra more than 1. I thought 2 and 3 put it on par with TLA. 4 bored me. 1 was highly flawed.

The show would have been better if each and every Book covered a different part of Korra's life, from her first real test as Avatar (Amon), to adulthood, and later, her final years as Avatar. Instead we got this highly uneven show with no real finish line or end goal. Then again, TLA was uneven as well. Hardly the perfect show people make it out to be.

Shy

Please don't upset for my for saying this Jubei, because i don't want to see you in any more pain. And i know how much of a lovely time you had over there.
And i want to make it clear i haven't spent any time abroad.

You should think long and hard before you want to commit to something like that.
Both countries have a strong reputation for being xenophobic. And their stance on gay rights is very regressive.

I also think you should have a very long talk with other BCT members who live in both countries, so you can make the best possible decision with all the information about what it's like to live there.

I dug Book 3 of Korra, but I was never able to understand why so many latched onto it as the one ATLA-tier season. I'd easily pick it and Book 1 as Legend of Korra's best, but it still had some of the same issues that plagued Book 1, and it spent far, far too much time building up villains that had no real motivation or depth. With Amon they established a way more compelling, charismatic villain in a fraction of the time they spent fellating the Red Lotus, and while the resolution to his arc may have been trash, at least he felt like an actual character? And on top of that, Book 3 still suffered from Mako, Bolin, and Asami wasting screen time despite not really having anything valuable to contribute to the story.

Idk, I was able to enjoy all of Korra aside from Book 2, but the writing stumbled often enough that I wouldn't say it ever hit ATLA's heights (unless we're talking about the music and animation, because the Track Team and Studio Mir put in that fucking work).

But different strokes and all that.

Malyse

HOUSTON—Gathering to celebrate a milestone that many throughout the country had long eagerly awaited, an estimated 150,000 cheering citizens packed into a public park in downtown Houston Wednesday night to hear Ted Cruz confirm his campaign for president of the United States was over, sources reported.

Major roadways were reportedly closed to traffic in anticipation of the event, and a jubilant crowd poured into the streets, swarming Discovery Green in hopes of witnessing the historic moment in person. Sources noted a mood of giddy anticipation spreading through the park as the tightly packed throngs waited expectantly for Cruz to take the stage and announce he was bringing his presidential bid to an end.

“I’ve been dreaming about this moment since the first time I heard Ted Cruz speak, and I just had to be here to see it happen,” said Kevin Chavis, a voter who drove nearly nine hours from Memphis, TN to hear the 45-year-old senator publicly state that while he was proud of all he had accomplished, he did not see a way forward for his campaign at this time. “I’m going to remember this day for the rest of my life!”

“We were all so excited watching the numbers come in and realizing this was finally going to happen,” Chavis added. “Words can’t express how happy I am right now.”

Witnesses told reporters the park was teeming with people who shouted out in celebration, exchanged high-fives, hugged complete strangers, danced, and spontaneously broke out into choruses of “God Bless America.” According to those present, several vendors were selling commemorative merchandise, a brass band played, and a sense of euphoria took hold as revelers waited for the moment when a chastened, sober-faced Cruz would step to the podium and concede the failure of his candidacy.

One audience member remarked that she had taken her children out of school for the day so they could attend the speech, saying the experience would be one her boys would always be able to look back on with fondness and pride.

“My kids just had to be here—I mean, this is one of the most important moments in American history,” said Martha Dorsey, who hoisted her 6-year-old son up onto her shoulders so he would be able to see the former White House hopeful’s face without a trace of its usual self-assured grin. “This is something they’re going to tell their kids about one day. They’ll say, ‘I was there the day Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign ended. I saw him up there holding back tears!’ How special is that?”

Thousands of cameras reportedly flashed as Cruz appeared and walked across the stage, his gaze directed downward. Sources said that upon reaching the podium, the senator was forced to wait nearly 10 minutes for the cheering to die down before he could start speaking. When he finally began his speech, opening with the words “I am suspending my campaign,” the audience erupted once more into thunderous applause.

Reports confirmed that large screens erected throughout the park allowed even those hundreds of yards away to watch the man shift uncomfortably and choke up as he thanked his campaign team for its hard work. When Cruz stated that he would be returning home immediately to spend time with his family, tens of thousands of people were seen breaking into smiles and throwing their arms around one another, unable to contain their joy.

“After Iowa, I really never thought this would happen,” said Houston resident Leslie Kemp, who wiped away a tear as she looked up at the slump-shouldered, visibly crestfallen figure on the stage. “But everyone came together, and we made it happen. It’s easy to be cynical about politics, about the state of our democracy. But seeing Ted Cruz up there announcing that he’s bowing out of the race—it made me proud of my country.”

“I have real hope for the future now,” Kemp added. “We are finally headed in the right direction.”

Happy Star Wars day. May the Fourth be with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom