• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChlFe0fXAAMwZoY.jpg

Yo. Brown Republicans take so many Ls.

straight-haired version of a fade and a fuckit?

andthebeatgoeson

Yo. GGs, Trey. Sorry for leaving so abruptly. Had a weird chest pain during our last couple of matches..jumped into a cold shower. I'm down for tomorrow.
You better stop rubbing tussin on your chest and go see a doctor. That's what insurance is for.

Just got my old man physical on Monday.

-------

Did a 16 hour fast since yesterday. Assumed I wouldn't make it. But I think my body have up on food. I'm in a weird place; my body wants to protest but probably lacks the energy.

I watched some TED talk on how we have evolved to better brain function when hungry/non-fed state. Which is funny. I associate hunger with headaches, grouchiness and a few others. I guess my Muslim brothers do it every year, so I can do it too.

I liked the schedule of intermittent fasting twice a week. We'll see.

Morning, BCT..

You better stop rubbing tussin on your chest and go see a doctor. That's what insurance is for.

Just got my old man physical on Monday.
Considering the bullshit running through my mind all night and the dreams that accompanied it, I'd say it was an anxiety attack. A lot of things I don't want to think about are popping up right now. Just had a convo with my girl and started feeling it again..sucks.

Morning, Gordon. That sucks. I've dealt with anxiety my whole life and it's still a constant thing that sometimes leaves me unable to do anything but sit and fight it. I don't have enough life experience and age on me to think I can help much, but remember that things can always get better. You don't know where you'll be in a year with any of the stuff you got going on. Just a suggestion based on my anxiety: If the anxiety comes back, tell yourself "I'm not going to let this overwhelm me." Focus on getting to a place where you're in control of it. Breathe slow, deliberate breaths. Well, that's what I try to do anyway.

Malyse

why don't people listen to my recommendations guise

Because wanting people to watch something so you can discuss it when it's fresh in your mind is the same as posting (what should be an obvious) joke article. You nailed it, guy.

img-thing

-----

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/there-are-almost-no-black-people-brewing-craft-beer-heres-why

I’M IN A CRAFT BEER BAR IN BROOKLYN, sipping a $9 stout and looking for black people. “Juicy” is on the speakers, and Notorious B.I.G. grew up a five-minute walk from my barstool here on the dividing line between Clinton Hill and Bedford-Stuyvesant. This is a traditionally black neighborhood, but right now, at 10:30pm on a Thursday, the only people in the bar are me (white), the bartender (white), and a stocky guy with a beard down at the end mouthing lyrics and nursing a bomber of what looks like Hill Farmstead (he’s white, too).

My search isn’t going well so far.

That’s because craft beer is white. Whiter than a ski lodge. Whiter than a Whole Foods in the suburbs. Craft beer is so white, in fact, that there’s an entry for “microbreweries” in Stuff White People Like, a book based on a blog written by a white person making fun of white people for being white. The passage concludes with this sentence: “[M]ost white people want to open a microbrewery at some point.”

Do most black people want to open a microbrewery at some point? Do any? The Brewers Association, the craft industry’s leading trade group, doesn’t keep records on the racial breakdown of its membership; nor does the American Homebrewers Association, its DIY-focused branch. Both organizations told me they weren’t aware of the existence of any such data. After digging around, neither am I.

So, in the absence of statistics, I set out to answer a simple question: where the hell are all the black craft brewers, bar owners, bloggers, aficionados, and nerds? Why is craft beer -- the consumer side, and especially the business side -- so white?

I started with Garrett Oliver. Oliver is a black man who also happens to be the long-standing brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery, as well as an accomplished beer author. When we linked up, it was via email; he was in Slovenia.

In his polite response to my questions (why is brewing so white? Is it changing? Should we care?), Oliver didn’t tell me much. I had the wrong focus, he said; it’s not a craft beer issue but a much broader and deeper problem. “My best answer is ‘See Coates, Ta-Nehisi,’” he concluded. (For the uninitiated, Coates is the preeminent public intellectual in regards to racism in America -- and yes, he’s required reading.)

It was at this point that I realized Garrett Oliver probably gets asked about being a black guy in craft beer more than he does about craft beer itself. Being the de facto spokesman of minority brewing would get a bit tiresome after two decades. So I stopped pestering him, and started making calls. Here’s what I learned.

1. Black people don’t drink much craft beer
Nearly all craft beer brewers started out as craft beer drinkers, so it stands to reason that if there are to be black brewers, there would have to be black drinkers.

Turns out the latter are few and far between. A recent Nielsen study commissioned by the Brewers Association found that while black drinkers compose 11.2% of the US population, they consume only 3.7% of the country’s craft beer. Compare that with the 80% of craft beer guzzled by whites, who make up 60% of the population, and you’ll start to get a sense of the size of the divide.* (See footnote at the bottom of this page for a word on other racial groups.)

Still, numbers don’t tell the whole story. So I asked a sample of black peers if they drank craft beer, and what they thought about it. “I don’t hate craft beer,” said Owen Rucker, a 29-year-old video editor living in Williamsburg. “But if I had to choose what I dislike most about it, it would have to be the culture.” Which he summed up as, “God forbid you want a ‘regular’ beer instead of an 18% homebrewed bacon-infused IPA. You’d get an earful from the closest neckbeards about how you just have to ‘work’ through the taste.”

Kara Brown, a 27-year-old writer in Los Angeles, feels similarly. “It seems like craft beer has been closely tied to an experience that a lot of people of color either don't want to be a part of or don’t feel welcome engaging with,” she said. “I think of white guys in thick-framed glasses and flannel shirts drinking at tables crafted out of reclaimed wood next to their Manic Pixie Dream Girl.”

That sort of arm’s-length engagement goes both ways. While some macros and the malt liquor category -- which has an uncomfortable but profitable history capitalizing on the low-income dollar -- have appealed directly to black drinkers, craft brewers for the most part have not. Ale Sharpton, a black journalist, consultant, beer nerd, and expert pseudonym-deviser (his real name is Dennis Byron) based in Atlanta, told me that while “there are no ‘White Only’ signs” in craft beer, the market still has a long way to go to court black drinkers. There simply aren’t many craft beer bars, restaurants, or stores in black neighborhoods, he said. “I visited a homie recently [in a predominantly black neighborhood] and felt like I struck gold finding a Sierra Nevada Torpedo six-pack at a nearby store.”

It’s important to note that no one I spoke with for this story claimed or even hinted that the enthusiasm gap between white and black consumer bases was driven by racism. Instead, the takeaway of many of these conversations boiled down to a simple fact: craft beer is white because the overall American beer industry has always been white.

So it’s worth asking: why has the overall American beer industry always been white?

andthebeatgoeson

Considering the bullshit running through my mind all night and the dreams that accompanied it, I'd say it was an anxiety attack. A lot of things I don't want to think about are popping up right now. Just had a convo with my girl and started feeling it again..sucks.
Sorry to hear. I get triggered when I start thinking about black people and the health system.

Sorry.

Morning BCT

So giddy for Civil War fam this is ridiculous lol

Wish I can fast forward to the weekend

Oh man! You ain't lying!

Gotta watch AoU and Ant-Man with the girls to finish catching up with everything. CW tomorrow at 7 p.m. Feels like it's been months since I saw it lol..

Those are the last two on my list. Getting hard to squeeze in watching everything and finishing up a final project for school.

For other black folk interested in getting your geneology test done, African Ancestry is the most expensive, but seems the most worth it:

Im a darkskin Haitian but I unno what part of Africa my geneology is from, so I should hit that up. Darkskin Haitians definitely have a distinct ethnic look though so I think most of us came from the same geographical area.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
SEPHIROTH!

*trumpets*

YOU AIN'T GOT THE ANSWERS, CLOUD
I died at this
crack-neck.gif

-Once again they look like mid-bosses from an SNK game.
-Kim looks flashy in her Armored Spider Cosplay
-Kanye look like a backup dancer for Olivia Newton John
-Looking like an outtake from Xanadu
-I see that Meteor Man sequel is in the works
-Looking like a fake ass Luke Cage
-Motorscooters bout to cast Blizzaga on your ass
-Kimbercile and Kanye
-looking like a fake ass Sonny and Cher
-Kanye bout to drop the hottest Country Record of all time
-Welp the rumors about Taylor Swift playing Dazzler have been proven false...
-Why that one photographer in the background looks like he jizzed himself
-The real weapon against the alien menace in ID:Resurgence
-So time travel exist. Theyve come to save our future
-He ripped those pants 2 minutes before taking the picture....
-....on his jacket.
-I mean damn i know motherfuckers like bedazzlers but goddamn Kanye.....
-Please God, resurrect Bernie Mac to wake Kanye up.
-This is what happens when Hideo goes solo from Konami.....
-He took "let them see you shine" to heart
-Looking like a bad 80's lyric
-Thats them mom jeans tho....
-Kanye teamed up with Kathy Ireland for that Walmart summer line
-Egyptian god and goddess of Bullshit
-Its Contrary and Shadow Man
-Wheres the rest of the Holograms.... Synergy be bullshitting....
-Glamour and Glitter, Fashion and Fame.....
-Truly truly truly outrageous
-Fuck you Tetsuyo Nomura. This is your fault.
-Kanye and Kim are TeamSilverSable. They said fuck both teamcap and teamironman
-looking like a one shot ashcan comic cover from Malibu
-The Misadventures of the Silver Booty and RageQuit....
-These are not the droids you are looking for.
-Metropolis remake in the works. Fritz Lang is turning in his grave.

*bow*

My mom wants to see Lauryn Hill on Mother's Day.

*time to check ticket prices*

*her voice better be on point, last time I checked it was kinda shot*

jmood88

Better hope she doesn't make yall wait for over 4 hours like she did just a couple days ago. I will never understand how a person with so many money problems will treat her fans like shit but I guess since people keep paying, she doesn't feel like she needs to change anything.

Slayven

Better hope she doesn't make yall wait for over 4 hours like she did just a couple days ago. I will never understand how a person with so many money problems will treat her fans like shit but I guess since people keep paying, she doesn't feel like she needs to change anything.

She still showing up late to shows? Is her voice still garbage?

Smh...

My older sister that lives out of state decided to pay for the tix for me and my mom. If she's that late then somebody better rush the stage and perform old Fugees records

Malyse

Benefit of having a Cool Mom™: I'm taking her to see Civil War for a Mother's Day present, cause that's what she wants.

----

So, Kasich is out too. It's gonna be Trump.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

She is still pulling that crap? Not sure how she keeps getting booked if she is doing that. But like you said, if people are continuing to go, it will continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom