• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

D i Z

On the subject of Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin is really cool, it's all based around weird combos and stuff. Like rain spell, followed by fire to create steam that blocks everyone's sight, then create a flame pit and tele-slam a skeleton pirate into it. Plus it's funny.

I have Divinity OS in my backlog. I didn't get very far as I got it on console, and the controls added just enough of a barrier that I said I'll get back to it later. Loved the couple of hours I did play though.

Imm0rt4l

Nope. And I was just about to say the same in the other thread. I thought this did a great job of setting his story up. Ryan Coogler was also there during filming, as I understand it..I'm sure there was a reason for that. I'm pretty confident the movie will be just fine.

Coogler wrote T'Challas dialogue iirc

It's really in Marvels best interest for Coogler to have been onset regardless

Imm0rt4l

Oh I wasn't saying there was anything to worry about. I'm saying that Civil War places BP in a position where it has to be built around a civil war event. It just makes the jump off point more narrow.

Malyse

Anyone think that BP's introduction in civil war sort of undermines the possibility of an origin story in 2018?

Marvel looks to be trying to get away from a lot of origin stories. That's why no Uncle Ben in Homecoming and that the Guardians of the Galaxy were already established. Strange with get one, Cap. Marvel might, Spidey won't, BP won't. Blade prolly won't. Daredevil did, JJ didn't, Luke prolly won't, Iron Fist might. Depends on how he shows up in Luke Cage.

Besides, I think the origin is often the weakest part of the story. Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man. The Dark Knight > Batman Begins.

Imm0rt4l

Marvel looks to be trying to get away from a lot of origin stories. That's why no Uncle Ben in Homecoming and that the Guardians of the Galaxy were already established. Strange with get one, Cap. Marvel might, Spidey won't, BP won't. Blade prolly won't. Daredevil did, JJ didn't, Luke prolly won't, Iron Fist might. Depends on how he shows up in Luke Cage.

My thinking as well. But to be fair a Spider-man origin story would be really redundant. I don't mind if Civil War is a jumping off point, doing so makes a lot of concessions to an origin story though, and that's fine.

Cap vs T'Chakka as an introduction/history to Wakanda would be dope af though.

Malyse

tumblr_ntsde39OxD1qjnhqgo1_1280.jpg

Kreed

Anyone think that BP's introduction in civil war sort of undermines the possibility of an origin story in 2018?

Nope. In the movie
Panther establishes that he inherited the Black Panther mantle before getting the king mantle from his father's passing.
This separation sets up a perfect back story film that could be set before the events of Civil War (which we know Marvel isn't afraid to do thanks to the Captain America films). In fact, as Shy brought up, this style of introduction is what Marvel has done multiple times with Black Panther in cartoons, where Panther shows up, kicks the established TV show heroes ass, and then we get the back story of who he is:

Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Old Fantastic Four Cartoon

I'm just hoping Marvel is smart enough to not put Man Ape on the big screen.

Imm0rt4l

Nope. In the movie
Panther establishes that he inherited the Black Panther mantle before getting the king mantle from his father's passing.
This separation sets up a perfect back story film that could be set before the events of Civil War (which we know Marvel isn't afraid to do thanks to the Captain America films). In fact, as Shy brought up, this style of introduction is what Marvel has done multiple times with Black Panther in cartoons, where Panther shows up, kicks the established TV show heroes ass, and then we get the back story of who he is:

Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Old Fantastic Four Cartoon

I'm just hoping Marvel is smart enough to not put Man Ape on the big screen.

Right, this doesn't go against what I asked though. This is pretty much what I'm getting at.

Even if I had been paid to see Fantastic Four in theaters I would have been mad.

Still can't bring myself to watch it.

FyreWulff

FyreWulff

sidenote and completely off topic, but it's sort of crazy that we're only into the second generation where every console runs at 60hz standard internally

We had a PAL/NTSC 50hz/60hz split all the way up to the Xbox/PS2/GC

Kreed

Right, this doesn't go against what I asked though. This is pretty much what I'm getting at.

Right, if they go the cartoon route, we'd get a flash back in the Panther film and then a current/after Civil War conflict for most of the film. But the Black Panther film could be set completely in the past like Captain America 1 was prior to Steve coming out of the ice/entering modern times. So we could have a film where most of it is in the past and then the last few minutes are in present day/the events of Civil War.

Shy

Nope. In the movie

Earth's Mightiest Heroes
I was more thinking more like how the BET series did it.
I thought you meant this before i clicked.

Fuck today.

Hit a pothole, rim fucked up. My spare was already fucked because my dumb ass didn't get it fixed. So I call State Farm, they send a tow truck. That bitch arrived two gat damn hours later after they said it would only take 15 minutes, I'm sitting in a village... Yes, it's a village in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. There was some old white dude that kept peaking out his window at me the whole two hours I sat there. Tow truck guy gets here, he was cool tho said a customer decided he wanted his car across the fuckin state line into North Carolina which is why he was so late. Got my car to the shop where it's fuckin closed until Monday. Threw my key in the dropbox and ordered in Uber for the first time in my life. He got there in about 15 minutes and took me to work where my mom was being barraged by customers for Mother's Day. I promised her I'd make it up to her with a swanky dinner should Lauryn Hill actually arrive on fuckin time (she probably won't) and now I'm finally home laying in my bed.

Johndoey

Banned
Drawn to Death is fun, it's a really well put together third person arena shooter and I really like the aesthetic. Some of the wrap around stuff is questionable (the type of language used) but for better or worse it does sell the concept of being in the doodle book of some shit-heel teen around 2004.

Shy

Stop spamming fireballs nigga
I wasn't.
Fuck today.

Hit a pothole, rim fucked up. My spare was already fucked because my dumb ass didn't get it fixed. So I call State Farm, they send a tow truck. That bitch arrived two gat damn hours later after they said it would only take 15 minutes, I'm sitting in a village... Yes, it's a village in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. There was some old white dude that kept peaking out his window at me the whole two hours I sat there. Tow truck guy gets here, he was cool tho said a customer decided he wanted his car across the fuckin state line into North Carolina which is why he was so late. Got my car to the shop where it's fuckin closed until Monday. Threw my key in the dropbox and ordered in Uber for the first time in my life. He got there in about 15 minutes and took me to work where my mom was being barraged by customers for Mother's Day. I promised her I'd make it up to her with a swanky dinner should Lauryn Hill actually arrive on fuckin time (she probably won't) and now I'm finally home laying in my bed.
That sucks.

Hope you have a lovely mother's day tomorrow.

Shy

Thanks so much for the games Gordon and Forearm.

I'm not promising anything, but next time we play, i'm gonna try to come over to the PSN party and talk. (well, at least hang out in it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom