• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

Not saying that people shouldn't dissect these movies and discuss them, but I'm still amazed that people look at the MARVEL movies through the lens of cinema and high art/film.

YES, I admit that makes me sound like a snob and a douche, but the movies are just a slightly more refined/clean popcorn movie. People have no problem with labeling the Michael bay movies as such; just fun brainless blockbusters with lot of fights and explosions. You go in there with that mindset, drop your guard and have fun and laugh. Yet when they walk into marvel movies they are analyzing every bit and criticizing characters, emotions etc etc.

I mean fuck, these movies are based on Comics. As a casual reader I will admit has some of the most stupid and insane stories and plot points in existence. but that's the fun. So why do the movies have to be so different?

Sorry about the random rant.

D i Z

Not saying that people shouldn't dissect these movies and discuss them, but I'm still amazed that people look at the MARVEL movies through the lens of cinema and high art/film.

YES, I admit that makes me sound like a snob and a douche, but the movies are just a slightly more refined/clean popcorn movie. People have no problem with labeling the Michael bay movies as such; just fun brainless blockbusters with lot of fights and explosions. You go in there with that mindset, drop your guard and have fun and laugh. Yet when they walk into marvel movies they are analyzing every bit and criticizing characters, emotions etc etc.

I mean fuck, these movies are based on Comics. As a casual reader I will admit has some of the most stupid and insane stories and plot points in existence. but that's the fun. So why do the movies have to be so different?

People refuse to acknowledge the fundamental divide between Kitch and Art. It makes folks feel bad about themselves, and everyone else snobs.

Johndoey

Banned
I just feel that in cape comics you get a wider range of content than the current stable of comic movies display and that isn't going to change and that's unfortunate.

Like I'll probably never see anything as interesting and introspective as" Whatever happened to the caped crusader" in a Batman movie.

The big blockbusters are great but i've seen more done with all of these characters. I want some more meat on the bone and I haven't really gotten that yet.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223343

Game mods are great, but sometimes they're used to do not-so-great things. The “European Phenotype and Names Only” mod for Stellaris is one such example: As the title implies, it changes the game so that all humans are European—which is to say, “white”—and have only European names. If that strikes you as a little sketchy, well, you're probably not wrong—and Paradox agrees.

Paradox didn't specify how the description had changed, but several Redditors state that it was the addition of “No multiculturalism here!” that triggered the decision to remove the mod. Interestingly, the description of the mod on ModDB (where it remains available) doesn't contain the phrase. The first comment, however, is a request to eliminate women from the game as well.

SMDH

Johndoey

Banned
Of course idiots are taking the opportunity to shout "Muh Freedoms!" When in comes to defending this style of bullshit.
It's a private fucking site shit-heel get your racist mods elsewhere.

Lemme stop you right here pleighboi

I kid but seriously, tbh the first thing we learned in film is that no matter how surface level a movie is, it is not above being looked at deeper and deeper. Because no matter the intent of the creators, there can be something gleaned from any kind of art. So yeah you do sound like a snob breh.

Johndoey

Banned
I love the image these dumb skinhead era motherfuckers have of some mystical Europe that was this glorious Aryan monoculture, united before them there darkies came in and ruined it.

PRESERVE YOUR RACIAL PURITY TODAY!
----
I saw the Captain America spoiler and burst out laughing, because holy shit.

akira28

I love the image these dumb skinhead era motherfuckers have of some mystical Europe that was this glorious Aryan monoculture, united before them there darkies came in and ruined it.

----

hitler wasted most of his shitty 3rd Reich trying to prove the Aryan legends were true, which led him out of white Europe an into Dark as shit Asia.

anyway Set Rogen said budget wouldn't let them shoot Preacher like the comic, so they decided to spend most of their time in Texas....:/

The original formula was too big, so they just tried to keep the basics. Now he's a preacher, who has the Voice, and decides to become a better preacher to his flock. Remember in the comic they all exploded when the god powers came down, this changes...

akira28

The town basically detonating was super important though.

well instead of that, you know, life changing (basically the entire point of the story) event, we get to see what happened if that didn't happen and he just decided to stay and be a preacher.

I'm ok though. I have learned not to feel or care or think about things.

Johndoey

Banned
well instead of that, you know, life changing (basically the entire point of the story) event, we get to see what happened if that didn't happen and he just decided to stay and be a preacher.

I'm ok though. I have learned not to feel or care or think about things.

Huh, I mean...just what the fuck? I don't even like Preacher and that sounds all screwy.

jmood88

"High art" or "popcorn" descriptions are just attempts to make meaningless distinctions between movies.

Shoutout to my nigga BIll Watterson:
highlow-art.jpg

akira28

they sex it up a bit obviously, but no travelling to the secret Grail base, no torturing angels in the vatican?? No AllFather? Will they even have the meatfucker?

RedSwirl

----

Y'know I spent some considerable time on Wikipedia trying to figure out where European civilization came from.

The way I understand it, civilization sprung up and spread out from like five places on Earth that had the proper natural resources 10,000 years ago: India, China, the Middle East, Egypt, and Central America. I was trying to figure out where European civilization sprang from, and while historians agree agriculture and whatnot came to Europe from the Middle East, there's a pretty huge gap in the chronology of European civilization we know jack shit about because Europeans didn't write shit down as early as the Egyptians, Iranians, Iraqis, and the Chinese did.

The events in the movie 300 (c. 480 BC) are apparently shockingly close to the very beginning of recorded European history. Historians know lots of other shit was going on in Greece and even central Europe 1,000 years earlier but they don't know WHAT. Bronze-age civilized Europe is just one big mystery. A little while ago someone uncovered the remains of a huge battle that happened in Germany like 3,000 years ago.

That's hilarious. No wonder people like New Day.

Also, the guy he's fighting is the pastiest white person I've seen in pro wrestling since the Undertaker. Is this guy a vampire?

He's one half of "The Vaude-villains," a team who pretends that they're old-timey wrestlers from the 20's/30's.

You want a REALLY pale wrestler though, look up WWE's "Sheamus."

Johndoey

Banned
Motherfuckers in the goddamn Valve discrimination lawsuit thread showin they ass talking bout "hmmm 3.1 million seems excessive, I can't see this going anywhere". These ain't shit bottom feeders.

D i Z

That thread is stretching me towards expanding my ignore list. Too many regular names coming out far too regularly with this diet bullshit.

Anybody on the Overwatch train? Been watching vids and don't mind the "multiplayer only/no campaign" thing that sticks in some people's craw. Currently have my cursor hanging over the purchase button on Battle.net. Wanted some final impressions from BCT.

---

Finding it hard be interested any news about StormRoof or any other people who thrive on the deaths of minorities. All I can do is hope he suffers in whatever form that comes to him in. At this point I'm less sickened by them than I am by the people who actively deny the existence of a problem with how minorities are treated, whether they be forum posters or law makers. That type of desperate ignorance and denial is more disturbing to me than killers and psychos.

akira28

Y'know I spent some considerable time on Wikipedia trying to figure out where European civilization came from.

The way I understand it, civilization sprung up and spread out from like five places on Earth that had the proper natural resources 10,000 years ago: India, China, the Middle East, Egypt, and Central America. I was trying to figure out where European civilization sprang from, and while historians agree agriculture and whatnot came to Europe from the Middle East, there's a pretty huge gap in the chronology of European civilization we know jack shit about because Europeans didn't write shit down as early as the Egyptians, Iranians, Iraqis, and the Chinese did.

The events in the movie 300 (c. 480 BC) are apparently shockingly close to the very beginning of recorded European history. Historians know lots of other shit was going on in Greece and even central Europe 1,000 years earlier but they don't know WHAT. Bronze-age civilized Europe is just one big mystery. A little while ago someone uncovered the remains of a huge battle that happened in Germany like 3,000 years ago.

then there's the theory that much of Euro history is bullshit because something happened during the dark ages that the powers that were agreed not to remember. That's a freaky thought.

Johndoey

Banned
That's the whole deal right? The hardcore screaming on the rooftop racists are whatever they can usually be pretty easily ignored or otherwise discounted, but the type that see all this hideous, awful shit happening around them and refuse to acknowledge it? They're truly dangerous because it's people like that preventing any real positive change.

D i Z

Anybody on the Overwatch train? Been watching vids and don't mind the "multiplayer only/no campaign" thing that sticks in some people's craw. Currently have my cursor hanging over the purchase button on Battle.net. Wanted some final impressions from BCT.

---

Finding it hard be interested any news about StormRoof or any other people who thrive on the deaths of minorities. All I can do is hope he suffers in whatever form that comes to him in. At this point I'm less sickened by them than I am by the people who actively deny the existence of a problem with how minorities are treated, whether they be forum posters or law makers. That type of desperate ignorance and denial is more disturbing to me than killers and psychos.

Impressions: Click away!

RedSwirl

then there's the theory that much of Euro history is bullshit because something happened during the dark ages that the powers that were agreed not to remember. That's a freaky thought.

Links? Very interesting. It would be an easy conspiracy theory to cook up since as I understand it the church was one of the main forces saving and pushing literacy during the "dark ages."

Tangentially related, the classical Greek era we know about was actually preceded by what historians believe to be an "early dark ages." Sort of a civilization collapse between Mycenaean Greece (the early bronze age era we know almost nothing about) and the classical Greece we're familiar with.

Anyway, I imagine the people trying to look back to some kind of "white golden age" (if that era didn't already exist between the 16th and 20th centuries) or "great white ancient civilization," why not just stick with the Viking Age? Vikings did more than most people realize. They wrecked shit pretty much everywhere from Canada down to Greece and parts of the Middle East. They interacted with a lot of different cultures and ethnicities too, or maybe that's the part revisionists don't like.

We've discussed this previously in the thread, but when you look back it's kind of incredible how Europeans came to dominate the world. If a few events in history happened even slightly differently the situation would be completely different.

Aiustis

I usually get called a film snob. I actually didn't like Cap 2 because too much dialogue for such an obvious movie, less talk more explosions.

I mostly watch international and small budget independent stuff though. Really big into black indie films too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom