• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight SPOILER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guzim

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I WANT TEN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!
Let me get this straight. You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands. And your plan is to use caps? Good luck

glistenm

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Seriously people, if you want your argument taken seriously, please use caps at the start of a sentence.

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard ,and their like. It's better than yours, damn right it's better than yours.

I can teach you, but I have to charge.

I just realized that by the end of the movie Mr. Reese knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman. I didn't notice the brief stare they both did after Bruce saved him by crashing his Lambo.

Linkzg said:
I just realized that by the end of the movie Mr. Reese knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman. I didn't notice the brief stare they both did after Bruce saved him by crashing his Lambo.

That plot will likely be forgotten by the third movie. Why keep the secret when the man who 'saved' your life is a wanted fugitive responsible for the death of half of a dozen people? The movie would be over barely after the opening credits.

Ken Masters said:
no, but obviously you have shown that you no very little on the foreign press, so lets just leave it at that

And you seem to know little about grammar but I'm not complaining.

TDK is great but at the end of the day it falls into the stereotypical pits of the genre, especially the laughable "Dent died for our sins" morality monologue at the end, made worse by Bale's horrible delivery. I'm not surprised at all critics are overlooking the film, and predicted as much months ago as did others here

Blader

PhoenixDark said:

TDK is great but at the end of the day it falls into the stereotypical pits of the genre, especially the laughable "Dent died for our sins" morality monologue at the end, made worse by Bale's horrible delivery. I'm not surprised at all critics are overlooking the film, and predicted as much months ago as did others here

What is this "Dent died for our sins" shit you've been spouting endlessly?

Sanjuro

PhoenixDark said:

You're not very good at this are you?

I think the Bonus extras could've been much much better. It was awesome nevertheless but it missed out ALOT of key features.

Where's the creation/makeup-test of Two-face?
Where's the creation/makeup-test of The Joker?
Where's my commentary?

etc etc etc.

Sanjuro

shagg_187 said:
I think the Bonus extras could've been much much better. It was awesome nevertheless but it missed out ALOT of key features.

Where's my commentary?

etc etc etc.
It's been said before the film has been released to the masses that this will be a film with multiple versions. We aren't sure what video if any exists for the make-up and such and Christopher Nolan doesn't like to do commentaries as he is doing the Q&A session on the 18th.

If anyone does a commentary at some point most likely it will be Wally.

PhoenixDark said:

Dent died for our sins? What movie did you watch?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
PhoenixDark said:

Was he supposed to act like he didn't just fight 30+guards/swat team guys, 2 pit bulls, get stabbed, fight the joker and win, run halfway across town, get shot and fall off a building? How were those lines supposed to sound?

And what was stereotypical about TDK? What other comic book film ever ended like that?

shagg_187 said:

Where's my commentary?

etc etc etc.

on the limited director's cut edition they'll sell in 4 months for 10 bux more

duh!:D

After watching TDK for the third time (first time on DVD) my opinion remains the same. It's the best superhero flick ever made, and one of the best action flicks of the last few years imo. That being said like most movies it has its flaws

-the intro bank heist is great but I'll admit the beginning has some problems. I really didn't like the Scarecrow scene. My brother pointed out that it lent continuity to the film which is true but it just seemed poorly executed. Didn't like the Batman clones or the dumb "i'm not wearing hockey pants" quip either

-Maggie Gyllenhaal is definitely a weak link. Like Heat, this movie would have been better if there were no women involved

-The Hong Kong scene is eh. I've read reviews where people really hate on it but it was just average/meh to me. Not a deal breaker

-The ending monologue is still grating. I'm referring to Batman's, not Gordon's which I really like. The mixture of the Batman voice and the music really make it laughable. I thought Dent's character was great while Two Face really seemed half assed, stuck on the end of the film. The scene where he's threatening the kid is great but overall...what a wasted opportunity. That being said Eckhart is great.

Comparing RDJ's Starks to Ledger is pretty weak. RDJ was playing RDJ playing Tony Starks; it's the equivalently of Tom Cruise or Will Smith strutting around in a role as themselves. Heath brought a character to life independent of himself, just as De Niro did back in the day. I'm not saying Heath's performance is on the level of a great De Niro performance obviously. But Heath definitely reached a level where he totally became his character and made you believe every minute of it. RDJ didn't do that in Iron Man because he's already that damn character, irl and many movie roles

PhoenixDark said:
After watching TDK for the third time (first time on DVD) my opinion remains the same. It's the best superhero flick ever made, and one of the best action flicks of the last few years imo. That being said like most movies it has its flaws

Didn't like the Batman clones or the dumb "i'm not wearing hockey pants" quip either

I think you mean I'm not wearing hockey pads.

-The Hong Kong scene is eh. I've read reviews where people really hate on it but it was just average/meh to me. Not a deal breaker

No way. The Hong Kong scene was awesome. If I have any nitpick with the film it's that the fight choreography has become much more stiff. Batman moves robotically compared to the first - certainly not what you'd expect of a trained ninja who just had a new suit made so he could move faster.

PhoenixDark said:
-the intro bank heist is great but I'll admit the beginning has some problems. I really didn't like the Scarecrow scene. My brother pointed out that it lent continuity to the film which is true but it just seemed poorly executed. Didn't like the Batman clones or the dumb "i'm not wearing hockey pants" quip either
With you on the Scarcrow thing. He was really kind of unnecessary. The hockey pants line was lame yes but the clones were important to show that Batman really had inspired people and that people were starting to take charge in their city. This makes the way the Joker fucks shit up have an even bigger impact.

-Maggie Gyllenhaal is definitely a weak link. Like Heat, this movie would have been better if there were no women involved
Yes but A. She was much better than the actress she replaced, and B. She was integral in making you understand Dent's pain when she died and realistically portraying his fall from grace.

Pretty much. But you have to admit the way he silently flew through the air for like a good ten seconds there was bad fucking ass.

-The ending monologue is still grating. I'm referring to Batman's, not Gordon's which I really like. The mixture of the Batman voice and the music really make it laughable. I thought Dent's character was great while Two Face really seemed half assed, stuck on the end of the film. The scene where he's threatening the kid is great but overall...what a wasted opportunity. That being said Eckhart is great.
I'll refer you to SpeedingUpToStop's post on the Batman voice thing.

Two Face was meant to be short-lived and I think it worked perfectly. Two-Face in Nolan's franchise was not a manipulative crime boss who had grand plans. He was more of a force of nature much like the Joker. His character cared about nothing but revenge and that is a very destructive road to go down so I think it's fitting that he met his end. Plus his death really just perfectly completed the Dent tragedy. He was the hope of the city and by the end of the movie he had become broken. I mean he clearly wanted to kill himself. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Two-Face was meant to be Dent as he had lost all hope of doing anything. This is different from the traditional portrayal of the character as retaining the drive and determination he had as Dent but only using for evil instead of good. If Nolan had taken the path of the traditional Two-Face persona I would agree with you that he was half-assed, but Nolan took the character in a much different direction and I think his short amount of time was quite fitting.

All those things still don't knock it out of the top spot as my favorite film of the year and one of my favorites of all time though.

Edit:
Scullibundo said:
I think you mean I'm not wearing hockey masks.
No dude it's definitely pads.

I'm not referring to Batman being out of breath, I'm referring to the Batman Voice in general. That plus the music really gave the comic book morality even more cheese.

I didn't see Two Face that way. He seemed to put all his attorney drive and motivation into revenge, putting together a solid (from his perspective) case against those who had wronged him and putting them on trial with a twisted sense of justice. I couldn't take it seriously. I really liked Dent as I said, but maybe that final scene just ruins things for me. Yuck

AniHawk

Saw it again tonight and hands down the worst thing about this film is still Barbara Gordon. Every line. Every scream. God damn her. God damn her to hell.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Scarecrow scene also introduced the dogs & mob boss, Batman's need for a new suit, what happened to any remaining fear poison & all the skill Batman has built up since the last film by having an old enemy be no match for him + other little details.

And if anything, the Hong Kong scene is worth just for the elaborate explanation. "Billionaire Absconds with Entire Russian Ballet":lol I still can't quite figure out what alfred was so bitchy about on the boat when Bruce was leaving...
is Alfred gay?!

Guzim

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I still can't quite figure out what alfred was so bitchy about on the boat when Bruce was leaving...
is Alfred gay?!
Alfred was
being really really sarcastic. Also it's like what George Sr. said in Arrested Development. "They’re polite and the men all sound gay, but they will rip out your heart. And their breath"

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Scarecrow scene also introduced the dogs & mob boss, Batman's need for a new suit, what happened to any remaining fear poison & all the skill Batman has built up since the last film by having an old enemy be no match for him + other little details.

And if anything, the Hong Kong scene is worth just for the elaborate explanation. "Billionaire Absconds with Entire Russian Ballet":lol I still can't quite figure out what alfred was so bitchy about on the boat when Bruce was leaving...
is Alfred gay?!

I think that was supposed to be sarcasm.

i watched it yesterday again with a friend who had never seen it before (i was like WTF?!) and her first reaction when Maggie Gyllenhal came on screen was " THAT'S the love interest?" :lol

and after watching it a few more times (i've seen it 3 times since it came out on DVD) one thing i can say that bugs me that i didn't really even notice in the theatre is is how Nolan sometimes keeps the music playing in the background during dialogue scenes. Makes it seem more insignificant to me, like the scene is about to cut away really quickly or something.

AniHawk said:
Saw it again tonight and hands down the worst thing about this film is still Barbara Gordon. Every line. Every scream. God damn her. God damn her to hell.
Wasn't she in the movie for like two seconds? I mean her kids were going to be killed. What would you do?

Raguel

joshuagor44 said:
In the movie Jim's wife is called Barbara? That should be their daughter's name, no?

gordon's first wife was barbara. His second wife is Sarah, who was killed by the Joker (Joker also shot Batgirl (who is coincidently named Barbara)). Crazy clown.

Fuck that - the other day I noted to myself that Barbara was done very well for a side-character. When you hear her trying to control herself when Harvey is about to kill Gordon's kid I thought it sounded very realistic.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Ninja Scooter said:
and after watching it a few more times (i've seen it 3 times since it came out on DVD) one thing i can say that bugs me that i didn't really even notice in the theatre is is how Nolan sometimes keeps the music playing in the background during dialogue scenes. Makes it seem more insignificant to me, like the scene is about to cut away really quickly or something.

I noticed the same thing, how the soundtrack seems to almost always be playing, but I had the opposite reaction to it... I think it's freaking great. The soundtrack is already amazing, and the way it's used makes even the more straightforward scenes feel more interesting and memorable.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

is Alfred gay?!

Obviously both scenes are important, I'm just saying they were both poorly executed - Scarecrow scene more so than the Hong Kong one

Guzim

The Dark Knight made AFI's top 10 films of 2008 (according to this site). Here's the list in case you were wondering what the other films were:
Here’s the list in alphabetical order:

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
* The Dark Knight
* Frost/Nixon
* Frozen River
* Gran Torino
* Iron Man
* Milk
* WALL•E
* Wendy and Lucy
* The Wrestler

Also, Christopher Nolan clip from 2006 on working with actors.
And yes, he's wearing jeans in it :O

AniHawk

BrightYoungThing said:
Wasn't she in the movie for like two seconds? I mean her kids were going to be killed. What would you do?

When she's told Jim died, look at the reaction on her face. I don't know why, but it drives me crazy. She's the film's only overactor.

AniHawk said:
When she's told Jim died, look at the reaction on her face. I don't know why, but it drives me crazy. She's the film's only overactor.

You know, when people say things like this, it really pisses me off.

I just watched the part you're talking about. Christopher Nolan and the films editor(s) have multiple takes to choose from, no? This is why actors and actresses try different approaches to the material. It's pretty easy to emote shock and anguish. Obviously, Nolan thought this was the most appropriate take to use.

The actress isn't necessarily to Blame - it's Nolan.

AniHawk said:

I totally agree with this

I literally said to myself outloud "OVERACT MORE" while watching the blu-ray. The fact that I needed a voice to express how terrible it was and not just in my head proves (at least to me) that this was that bad.

AniHawk

Exclamation-One said:
You know, when people say things like this, it really pisses me off.

I just watched the part you're talking about. Christopher Nolan and the films editor(s) have multiple takes to choose from, no? This is why actors and actresses try different approaches to the material. It's pretty easy to emote shock and anguish. Obviously, Nolan thought this was the most appropriate take to use.

The actress isn't necessarily to Blame - it's Nolan.

Or maybe it was the best take out of everything they tried and she was too cheap to recast.

They need to put a flash forward in the next movie so I can see Clint Eastwood as old batman! Mostly because he has a great Batman voice and I saw the Gran Torino trailer.

mrkgoo

Last night, I was at bus stop, waiting for the bus. Some guy (with his every-30-second-coughing/spitting-girlfriend) was tolling the virtues of the movie they had just born witness to, the Dark Knight.

They were discussing why the Joker would kill his own wife/father or something, but then when on to talking about how Batman was the greatest superhero in the world because he knew everyone's secret identity, from everyone in DC through to Marvel. Everyone. It wasn't so much that itself, but rather how his train of thought actually went:

"See, Batman is one of my favourite superheros, because he DOESN'T have super human strength or Xray vision. I don't like any of those superheros. My kind of hero is like The Hulk, Wolverine, and Batman. Batman can beat anyone because he knows everyone's secret identity, from DC AND Marvel. It's like I could become a vigilante right here, but Batman would know my secret identity. But I would be all like, "So, I know yours too!", so then we'd be even. "

I was beginning to lose my mind, but then they were joined by some more friends, including this smoking girl who had nothing better to tell people than that she was pregnant.

Sometimes I do wonder what the world is coming to.

mrkgoo

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Well, Batman will always win with enough prep time, so he's not wrong in that sense.
Well, yeah, sure, I get that part, but I don't really get where the Marvel universe kind of comes into play - and I CERTAINLY don't get where the guy also being a vigilante comes into play.

Sanjuro

mrkgoo said:
Well, yeah, sure, I get that part, but I don't really get where the Marvel universe kind of comes into play - and I CERTAINLY don't get where the guy also being a vigilante comes into play.
He beat the Hulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom