• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight SPOILER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Hmm, so I've been thinking. Personally rank the long Joker sequences. They are:

Bank Robbery
Pencil Proposition
Hey Gambol, Why So Serious?
Crashing the Party
Harvey Dent: Bait
The Interrogation and the Bomb
Nurse Joker
The Final Confrontation

Did I miss anything?

My Rankings:
1. The Interrogation and the Backup Plan
2. Pencil Proposition
3. The Final Confrontation
4. Hey Gambol, Why So Serious?
5. Crashing the Party
6. Nurse Joker
7. Harvey Dent: Bait
8. Bank Robbery

I think the ones with the most action were my least favorite. The more monologues for Joker, the better the scene.

Solo

You are officially batshit-insane-obsessed with the movie when you are ranking the scenes of individual characters.

glistenm

Banned
DMczaf said:
2njhqn6.jpg

That first panel looks fucking awesome, is there somewhere I can get that higher res?

SephCast said:
Hey Gambol, Why So Serious?

The only problem with this scene to me is that you never see how he killed Gambol. A knife to the cheek is instantly fatal? Whazzat?

The scenes that had the most impact to me:

1. Good Cop Bad Cop - when Batman barricades the door and slams the Joker's head against the glass, just pounding on him while screaming "Where are they!?!?!", and Joker pointing out the futility of beating him. The tension just keeps ramping up until the explosive conclusion.

2. Harvey recovering the hospital, picking up his lucky coin... the reaction he has when he flips it and sees the scarred and darkened side. Perfection.

3. Batman smooth gliding, both in Hong Kong and later at the building overlooking the ferries.

It still surprises me how much movie they managed to cram into 2 1/2 hours. I can't think of a scene or line of dialogue that I would've removed.

NullPointer said:
The only problem with this scene to me is that you never see how he killed Gambol. A knife to the cheek is instantly fatal? Whazzat?

he's holding the knife to his cheek while he tells his story but i think he ends up slashing his throat.

Wasn't the blade IN Gambol's mouth?

I guess Nolan is employing an old Hitchcockian truth of "less is more".
The audience's imagination is far more horrible than anything he could shoot.

I don't think showing exactly what happened was needed. This is a comic book movie afterall. Okay graphic novel, fuck your terminology. Whatever.
It's an incredible, incredible movie, but at the same time it's not entirely dark/realistic. The guy dresses up like a bat and has almost supernatural powers.

Showing exactly what happened would be a little too much for a Batman film methinks, let alone cause problems with the MPAA.

Blader

BenjaminBirdie said:
Would you believe I just saw this tonight for the first time?

Yyyyeah. Fucking amazing.

Wtf? What have you been doing for the last five months?! You work for a comic book site for God's sake! :lol

Buckethead said:
Wasn't the blade IN Gambol's mouth?

I guess Nolan is employing an old Hitchcockian truth of "less is more".
The audience's imagination is far more horrible than anything he could shoot.

I don't think showing exactly what happened was needed. This is a comic book movie afterall. Okay graphic novel, fuck your terminology. Whatever.
It's an incredible, incredible movie, but at the same time it's not entirely dark/realistic. The guy dresses up like a bat and has almost supernatural powers.

Showing exactly what happened would be a little too much for a Batman film methinks, let alone cause problems with the MPAA.

He was almost certainly under studio contract to get a PG-13, is all. (I'm tempted to get into a rant about how fucking ridiculous it is that a film with eyeball impalement, a bomb implanted in a stomach, some gruesome dead bodies, not to mention Two-Face (more like Half-a-Face), gets a PG-13, while "Frost/Nixon" gets an R for fucking language. Apparently 12-year-olds are better served watching the Joker's reign of terror than a film with actual relevance to US history.)

My problem with the Gambol killing is there's no indication that Joker's actually done anything except for the sudden sting in the score. You don't even really see Joker's hand movement that he slices him, just the aftershot of the body falling. Sure blood and gore aren't needed, but I think it would have been scarier if we'd seen him making a slicing notion from behind.

faceless007 said:
while "Frost/Nixon" gets an R for fucking language. Apparently 12-year-olds are better served watching the Joker's reign of terror than a film with actual relevance to US history.)

The MPAA is a funny bunch.

You can't say "fuck" twice in a PG-13 but you can show basically whatever sex stuff you want without showing tit. I know there are women who think dressing like skanks is fine and don't care if they're objectified and all that, but let's face it: it's polluting American Culture. It's all fun and games until the entire generation is filled with capitalist hipster kids and girls who mold their life around the latest episodes of The Hills.

I'm all for the counter-culture sexual revolution and all that, but I think we can tone it down a bit for christsake. Not to mention I'm tired of seeing fat girl cooter in booty shorts whenever I go to a fucking movie.

/Rant

faceless007 said:
My problem with the Gambol killing is there's no indication that Joker's actually done anything except for the sudden sting in the score. You don't even really see Joker's hand movement that he slices him, just the aftershot of the body falling. Sure blood and gore aren't needed, but I think it would have been scarier if we'd seen him making a slicing notion from behind.

Yeah, I agree, it could have used "something more", but most mom and pops probably had enough already with Ledger's amazingly psychotic, yellow-toothed growl and Han's score with the players screeching their bow on the strings of their instrument like nails on a chalkboard.

OK, am I looking too deep into things or is Nolan using the dogs to represent something? Like mob mentality? The true hungry underbelly of the world when not constrained, or "leashed" by "the plan"?

First the mob has the dogs on the leash at the parking complex. Batman gets attacked and bit - and it really seems to bug the hell out of him. Much later on, mobster guy is killed and eaten by his own dogs (we're led to presume) and now Joker controls the criminal underworld. Joker gives Batman a nice talking to about the thin veneer of civilized society and its "rules", and about how he'll show him how in truth, the people will eat themselves. During the ferry social experiment where he sets out to underscore that very point its the Joker who now controls the dogs. And of course in the end, when Batman has made himself an outcast, he runs from scores of police and their hungry dogs.

Now its one thing to drop a hint - but this movie was literally drowning in dogs.

ezekial45

Banned
NullPointer said:
OK, am I looking too deep into things or is Nolan using the dogs to represent something? Like mob mentality? The true hungry underbelly of the world when not constrained, or "leashed" by "the plan"?

First the mob has the dogs on the leash at the parking complex. Batman gets attacked and bit - and it really seems to bug the hell out of him. Much later on, mobster guy is killed and eaten by his own dogs (we're led to presume) and now Joker controls the criminal underworld. Joker gives Batman a nice talking to about the thin veneer of civilized society and its "rules", and about how he'll show him how in truth, the people will eat themselves. During the ferry social experiment where he sets out to underscore that very point its the Joker who now controls the dogs. And of course in the end, when Batman has made himself an outcast, he runs from scores of police and their hungry dogs.

Now its one thing to drop a hint - but this movie was literally drowning in dogs.

Don't forget Joker hanging his head out the window.

EDIT: iirc, Zeliard was talking about this several pages back (around the time the movie came out). There is tons of Dog symbology throughout the movie.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
so I finally watched it in full for the first time since the threatrical run tonight.

sitting there in the dark, I really got the feeling that I was there on opening night all over again. Even though there was snow outside, I could still feel the summer heat. I could sense the tension in the room and practically see the sweat pouring up amongst the entranced audience. It was a weird, eerie...enjoyable feeling. I'll never forget that night.

the digital copy has the Imax scenes format, effectively rendering the DVD copy unnecessary:lol I'll have 4 copies of this movie by the end of the week.

also, GUYS, for my birthday, my mom got me the DVD [steelbook :rawk:] and soundtrack, but on top of that, she got me...

BatmanStuffJokerCards.jpg

wtf guys, I never even seen this before! so fucking cool. Only 20 chips, but w/e. I'll use them as the high stakes chips.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
NullPointer said:

Batman has joker on the end of a leash at the end of the film, too.

"Joker's just a mad dog! I want who ever let him off the leash:

"I'm like a dog chasing cars..."

so detailed, but so subtle.

ezekial45 said:
Don't forget Joker hanging his head out the window.

EDIT: iirc, Zeliard was talking about this several pages back (around the time the movie came out). There is tons of Dog symbology throughout the movie.

Haha. Good catch.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
"Joker's just a mad dog! I want who ever let him off the leash"

"I'm like a dog chasing cars..."

OK - now I know I'm not just seeing things. How did I forget those two lines?

Now I guess if I wanted to stretch things even further I could go down the path of the Tarot and the Fool card (who has a dog companion, and stands at the edge of a cliff) or the more appropriate "Hanged Man" that happens at least twice over in the movie.

But then again, I DO read into things :p

faceless007 said:
This is why I'm glad Nolan is the director here. :lol

That scene was perfect. You're supposed to like the Joker during the first part of the movie, because while he's doing all these nasty things, he's being hilarious at the same time, and besides, all of the people he's doing the nasty things to are gangsters.

Then, when he begins to rip Gotham apart using the same mannerisms and quirks, it makes you feel like a jerk for finding him so likable to begin with.

good god, i just got finished watching the movie on blu-ray for the first time, and now i really want to see a movie shot entirely in IMAX.

not a documentary, but a fictional movie like this.

i realize it has multiple limitations, but god DAMN

I_D

Skiptastic said:
Yeah, no. Not in the States. I saw it five times. He says "TADA! It's...ah, it's gone...:)"

I saw it twice, and he definitely said "it's magic" the first time.

I know because all of my friends were talking along with the movie, and we all got that part wrong. :lol

Elfforkusu said:
You're supposed to like the Joker during the first part of the movie, because while he's doing all these nasty things, he's being hilarious at the same time, and besides, all of the people he's doing the nasty things to are gangsters.
What? At no point in the movie are you supposed to like the Joker. He's an evil fuck throughout and I love the character because of this.

Blader5489 said:
Wtf? What have you been doing for the last five months?! You work for a comic book site for God's sake! :lol

:lol

I don't work in a comic book store, my characters do.

Anyways, you know. I never got to see it in the theaters and the DVD just came out and, you know, it's been busy the past few days.

Anyway. The Joker, right? Seriously. That was just spectacular. If I was worried about anything being overhyped it was that but, yeah. Wow.

That was unlike any other interpretation of the character ever and yet the best one ever.

How did he do that?

"Six?"

Solo

ezekial45 said:

I believe that was me!

NullPointer said:

That's actually what I like best about that scene. It fits great with all of the mystery behind the Joker. How does he do this? Where does he come from? etc. etc. Not knowing this stuff makes him a more terrifying character. Like someone already mentioned, our imagination is much scarier than what they could show. Just like the silent hill games (mainly 1 and 2) you hear all these really bizarre sounds and have no idea what they are. Most of the time they never even show what was making that sound.. hence your mind runs wild thinking of what it could possibly be.

Solo

Mr. Sam said:
In two years time they'll be a TDK Depreciation Thread. You'll see. You'll all see.

Two years? The love-hate cycle for these big blockbusters usually takes a less amount of time then that. Id wager we'll see someone post such a thread in less than 6 months.

Pedobear said:
Started by Solo obviously.

Christ almighty. You know what, Im quite close to just saying "fuck it" and embracing the "hater" image you all want me to. I paid to see the movie in theatres 6 times, raved about it lots here, yet somehow I have gotten the reputation for hating all things TDK, simply because, unlike many, I do feel the need to shine light on the movie's flaws.

I HATE THE DARK KNIGHT

Solo

Couldnt bring myself to watch The Happening. Hell, I gave up on M Night after Signs. Seems like I made the right choice.

Solo

fallengorn said:
We bet it all on him. GAF took the best of us and tore him down. People will lose all hope.

CALL IT IN

I CAN DO THOSE THINGS BECAUSE IM NOT A HERO, IM FUCKING BATMAN LOLZ

Solo

Solo falls from the scaffolding. Neck broken. DEAD.

GAF: bububu his alter ego Duet is ALIVE! Villain for Batman Begins 3: The Dark Knight 2: Joker Bugaloo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom