• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 |OT| Open Beta (1st-4th Mar)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played for a few hours, and I actually had a good time although I typically don't like shooters. The RPG mechanics here are solid.

I played the first Division game at launch and had a lot or problems with it - mainly that it was impossible to make any progress in the game without having a group of at least three others to play with. I rarely play co-op games. This beta feels pretty single-player friendly so far, but I suppose that could change.

Did they every "fix" the first game to be more solo-friendly? If so, I might pick it up and play through it while waiting for this one.

Stuart360

Played for a few hours, and I actually had a good time although I typically don't like shooters. The RPG mechanics here are solid.

I played the first Division game at launch and had a lot or problems with it - mainly that it was impossible to make any progress in the game without having a group of at least three others to play with. I rarely play co-op games. This beta feels pretty single-player friendly so far, but I suppose that could change.

Did they every "fix" the first game to be more solo-friendly? If so, I might pick it up and play through it while waiting for this one.
If you still have it, it might be worth givingthe first Division another go. I just put 35 hours straight into the first game, right before Anthem launched, and i was doing single player only. The game is very diable now in single player, compared to how it was at launch.

120v

some of the later gear sets were designed with solo play in mind and some modes and DLC offered much more solo friendly endgame alternatives to the dark zone

i'm guessing like Division 1 about 80% of D2 can be solo'd no big deal but you have to keep in mind it's a squad based game, there's only so much it can do to cater to solo players

Last edited:

Stuart360

some of the later gear sets were designed with solo play in mind and some modes and DLC offered much more solo friendly endgame alternatives to the dark zone

i'm guessing like Division 1 about 80% of D2 can be solo'd no big deal but you have to keep in mind it's a squad based game, there's only so much it can do to cater to solo players
Its a 1-4 player game, and i'm willing to bet that more players play solo in these games than squading up (if there is a solo option in said games). Anyway like i said, going solo in The Division is more than doable. It was quite hard when The Division first launched (they were obviously pushing the squad mechanic hard), but all the patches and stuff have made the game very doable solo.

Hard to say about Division 2. But Division 1 was pretty solo-able and got more so.

I think it really comes down to what you want out of the game.

If you're really going to sink your teeth into end game, then it's much easier co-op.

I know Divsion has a "toxic rep" because of DZ, but the co-op community (I played both Xbox and PC) is pretty great.

Last edited:

120v

you want to stay on top with gear there's virtually no way to be gung ho solo. D2 may mete this out in different ways but most endgame stuff is designed with 4 player co-op in mind

that isn't to say you can't go off and do your own thing a majority of the time, i melted faces in DZ05 (i think it was) solo but eventually you're going to hit a wall

Last edited:

scalman

So its lvl 8 now... Ok. Nice gear comes then. And im not even done all missions. Its late but this just keeps me playing it. Its something in it... I remember whe. I saw first trailer of divission 1 i thought if it will work solo it will be my game. And it was. But now this even better for me kinda

I can already feel that addiction I had back in early days of Division 1. This game nails that looter “hook” that keeps me saying “ok one more run.”

Wimbledon

Played for a few hours , i had a lot of things vanish and coming back in. I had an invisible wall stop me from finishing the mission, i had to get a friend to end the mission for me. while fighting the game would freeze for a moment and the action would start again.

But other than that happening the game looked nice and performed well. I wasn't sold on Division 1 but Division 2 is pretty good, my friends are a lot more keen playing in this game as opposed to Destiny so i may get it. I thought it was funny the way we coordinated it was like the trailers for the games. lol

scalman

My gear as off now. One more mission left on map and I wasnt yet in DZ even.
rne8UJs.jpg

Best loot in the beta is in DZ btw.

But I'm done for now and ready for the release.

Back to Anthem and farming this challenge of might.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finished all of the available missions today I've only played the beta of the original, but I think I prefer that setting. I guess I prefer the snowy city setting. I'm on the Xbox One X. The game run fairly well but is plagued with audio issues. Switching to my secondary weapon would cut at all gun fire sounds temporarily. I also had a gun shot sound repeat indefinitely after checking out the loot screen mid-mission. When it stopped, all the sound cut out all together with the exception of a gun shot every few minutes or so. I had to restart the game to fix the problem.

What I liked:

-The enemy AI is good at flanking and applying pressure, forcing you to use cover and re-position frequently. It really made tackling the missions solo somewhat challenging.
-The gun play is solid.

Neutral-ish:

-Weapon mods being tied to perks. Seems like these would be better as loot drops and really allow you to hunt for gear and upgrades.
-I'd hope the character creator is less limited in the final game.
-I picked the homing grenade skill and it didn't seem super useful. Maybe further upgrades help.

What I didn't care for:

-The pace of loot drops feels too infrequent. Granted the beta focuses on a low level character, but I found one blue in my play time which was a massive downgrade to my currently equipped weapon. Most of the upgrades I found were purchased via a vendor. Overall it felt like too much effort to get your next drop and even farther in-between for the next upgrade.
-The locale just isn't doing it for me. You have the back drop of all these wonderful building and monuments but more often than not you were crammed in an alley, parking garage or nondescript office hallway with tons of waste high cover.
-The story and dialog are really off-putting.

I might try out the dark zone more tomorrow, but I'm not terribly interested in PVP. I'm not sure this game is for me.

Last edited:

splattered

I bought a couple copies of the first game and the season pass cheap but never played it. Tried it a couple times and thought "yeah this seems interesting I'll give this a shot.. eventually"

Never happened.

Now that the wife and I are over playing Destiny 2 non-stop I preordered this and anthem and we played both the closed and open betas.

5 hours... that's how long we played this today. Wanted all the bonus cosmetic items so we did the main missions, the invaded mission, and the dark zone introductory mission.

My brother played with us through the invaded mission and holy SHIT was it tough. Ugh. Constantly wiping and respawning. Very annoying. Then my brother had to go tend to his kiddos so the wife and I kept at the mission. And it was literally like 10x easier with just two people. Holy shit the difficulty scaling in this beta is awful.

Overall though we really like the game and the wife is excited to get the full version at launch.

Definitely a lot of bugs but mostly audio related. Some floating characters and stuff but nothing major.

Last edited:

scalman

Where did you get all that from? I can't find any blue drops at all. Done all main missions etc.
I started getting blue ones just last hour when reached lvl 8. And one purple bought from main station.
I got those not from main from side missions and just doing extra jobs as area cleaning and such but only on 8 lvl i started get good stuff. Crafted couple things as they let tou craft blue ones

cormack12

Gold Member
I started getting blue ones just last hour when reached lvl 8. And one purple bought from main station.
I got those not from main from side missions and just doing extra jobs as area cleaning and such but only on 8 lvl i started get good stuff. Crafted couple things as they let tou craft blue ones

Ah ok, just below level 8 as I went to the invaders missions. Might have a dive back in later and see what else I can scavenge. Is that the famas as primary?

Stuart360

Where did you get all that from? I can't find any blue drops at all. Done all main missions etc.
I literally found 2 blue items as soon as i left the White House for the first time. I'm quite anal with these types of games though, constantly looking behind every bush, every doorway, etc, because i dont want to miss any items. It took me over an hour to reach the first misson as i was constantly going off down alleys, in car parks etc lol.

scalman

Ah ok, just below level 8 as I went to the invaders missions. Might have a dive back in later and see what else I can scavenge. Is that the famas as primary?
Yes i tried them all i got i like famas most its not stable though so i shoot one short burst and stop if its far away. I duno how random is what weapons they give you in loot boxes hope they give more weapons to try too.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
A random thought I had while playing was that I'm happy Cyberpunk is going to be a FPS. The FOV on Division has been pretty hard on me. The enemy encounters seem similar in a way, and I'm glad I won't have to be swinging that camera all up and down tight cover and corridors.

Anyway, back on topic...I'm lvl 7 and I got the famas. Not a huge fan it really rides up. I was going to run out of time due to server maintenance, so I didn't go into the dark zone or test the end game loadouts yet. Hopefully things will spice up a bit, it can get monotonous free roaming, and there isn't much narrative substance in the game(yet?).

cormack12

Gold Member
Yes i tried them all i got i like famas most its not stable though so i shoot one short burst and stop if its far away. I duno how random is what weapons they give you in loot boxes hope they give more weapons to try too.

I thought this - when you apply the right mods it makes a massive difference. MASSIVE.

I literally found 2 blue items as soon as i left the White House for the first time..

I tend to get kit just good enough to see me through the levels because it's disposable to a point. I'm also tempted to go back on, but also know I've done this same thing on private and open beta now and don't want the fatigue of release and running through the same opening :D

Tried facing a group of level 8 enemies last night (I'm level 6) and got screwed lol.
I saw a stream from a guy Del from Angry Joe,he was 7 and the enemies were lvl 8,they mopped the floor with him and his buddy,I mean a chick with a stick beat the crap out of them,that's not really great or fun,there shouldn't be such a big difference when it comes to one lvl

I saw a stream from a guy Del from Angry Joe,he was 7 and the enemies were lvl 8,they mopped the floor with him and his buddy,I mean a chick with a stick beat the crap out of them,that's not really great or fun,there shouldn't be such a big difference when it comes to one lvl
Yup the difference is huge.

Oh man I'll probably not be able to play it today and tomorrow... gonna have to wait 2 whole weeks... =(

Flyinmunky

Just had a go with my mate doing few missions. Game is not for me. I didn't like the first one so i wasn't expecting much but thought id give it a shot.

Terrible AI, boring environment, boring start to story. One of the first cut scenes summed it up, she pours a bottle of wisky into a cup and nothing comes out of the bottle, 2019 and cant be bothered to animate liquid coming out of a bottle.....

scalman

Even being lvl 8 and facing lvl8 elites its hard. I allways plan best cover place so they couldnt surround me. And starting show

cormack12

Gold Member
Even being lvl 8 and facing lvl8 elites its hard. I allways plan best cover place so they couldnt surround me. And starting show

It's meant to be like that in RPG's though. Remember WoW and being like level 14 and then coming across a level 12 elite. It was tough. Anyone else, am I matchmaking right? I go to the safe house, and all I want is for someone to help me with a side mission so I choose matchmaking for open world exploration and then I should just wait for people to join my game right? Instead I get spammed with invites to other games (49!!!). I don't want to join a game, I want people to help me do a side mission in my instance. So I eventually have to stop matchmaking because it's just spamming me. Am I doing it right. Is this the best it works?

OIR7T4W.jpg

kbear

Anyone have a vid with a good representation of the end game in terms of gameplay, loot, abilities, etc.?

cormack12

Gold Member
Anyone have a vid with a good representation of the end game in terms of gameplay, loot, abilities, etc.?

What do you wanna see? They give you an unlocked operator and there are some perks there and the signature weapon but there's not much more you wont see in the normal game. A few more purple and yellow drops

120v

levels don't really matter once you lose command of a situation... blindspot in your cover, a few flanks, and bam you're melted.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
After a few hours of this I am not sure if this is for me. I put dozens of hours in to the first game, this seems like near enough exactly the same thing, which is to be expected but I don’t see much improvement.

My god some of the textures on PS4 are awful, literally flat pixels. Not sure if this is because of the Beta build or if this is going to be improved in game. The Chem launcher accuracy is all over the show. I can barely get it to land where enemies are on quick launch or precision. Grenades from enemies explode within a milisecond if landing beside you. Barely anytime to roll or move away.....or I’m just getting old.

The AI is better from the first game but still a bit ropey. Sometimes I can barely see enemies and I’m walking past them and they’re just standing beside me chatting. Then I start shooting and they all start running about blindly.

I’m having fun don’t get me wrong but not sure if I can be bothered investing so much time in to this again as to get the best out of this game, you really need to be playing most days and unfortunately I do not have that much time anymore.

scalman

Textures needs some time to load even on pc. I doubt textures are any different between platforms. If they looks bad they not yet loaded.
Its one of best looking city based game out there with streets full of stuff left by people its amazing how detailes all cars bikes trash trees animals are.

Last edited:

kbear

What do you wanna see? They give you an unlocked operator and there are some perks there and the signature weapon but there's not much more you wont see in the normal game. A few more purple and yellow drops

All I played so far is reaching the White House base. Is it after that?

cormack12

Gold Member
All I played so far is reaching the White House base. Is it after that?

Yeah, you need to play through the 3 main missions. Reach level 7. Log out then press R2 to scroll through some new agents. Pick the endgame specialization you think fits you and you spawn in on a level 30 mission ready to match make :)

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Textures needs some time to load even on pc. I doubt textures are any different between platforms. If they looks bad they not yet loaded.
Its one of best looking city based game out there with streets full of stuff left by people its amazing how detailes all cars bikes trash trees animals are.

I’ve played enough games to understand that textures sometimes need to load, but I’m talking about straight out not loading. I seen some giant posters at the whitehouse that looked like something out of a PS2 game and some on road signs that looked so odd and out of place. Just so pixelated. I hope they can improve that as it breaks the immersion for me. Going to play some more later and “complete” the BETA as much as I can as I said before it is still a fun game for sure.

kbear

Yeah, you need to play through the 3 main missions. Reach level 7. Log out then press R2 to scroll through some new agents. Pick the endgame specialization you think fits you and you spawn in on a level 30 mission ready to match make :)

Ahh ok, thanks.

the chick had a stick and he emptied and entire M60 magazine in her and she didn't die,its ridiculous

I love how he complains about how the RPG gun damage results in no skill...

As he's running around the battlefield like a dumbass getting shot from all sides.

Last edited:
We are talking about Del, right? I've never been a huge fan of his.

Yeah. I mean, I like Angry Joe Show overall. But I felt this way with Anthem a bit too.

Del went into Division 2 already disliking Division 1. Confirms his biases, and craps on the game while making matters worse since he's half-assing it.

Joe really turned me off with the whole use an HDD to make the load times as bad as possible for the review and not really be up front about it.

Don't get me wrong. HDD load times are legit concern and worthy of criticism, but it's just the way they went about it that rubs me wrong.

I'm pretty positive this will be a great game for me. Loved Division, hundreds of hours, never even saw the final stuff they added to it. From what I understand, isn't everything in Division ended with gonna be there in Div2 pretty early on? If so, I might crack Diablo style hours with this baby.

We are talking about Del, right? I've never been a huge fan of his.
well I like him when he plays games cause most of the streamers are sponsored and they follow some rules they are old of how to play it,while Del plays it as anyone else,and because he's not playing the way it supposed to you can see the flaws in the games

Top Bottom