• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 |OT| Open Beta (1st-4th Mar)

I didn't think I would miss new York but I really am. I'm not feeling the summer in DC thing at all. Having a hard time not being bored. IDK. Going to wait a couple months on this and probably get it on sale. I know its a me problem but I'm just not feeling this. As most are comparing it to Anthem, I will too. I think Anthem's gameplay and customization are much more interesting and once they add some new zones and work out the kinks I think it will be the much better of the two but we shall see.

well I like him when he plays games cause most of the streamers are sponsored and they follow some rules they are old of how to play it,while Del plays it as anyone else,and because he's not playing the way it supposed to you can see the flaws in the games

The Division is a tactical cover shooter. You can play the game however you want.

But I don't think you're revealing flaws or providing any insight at all by not using cover and not coordinating with squad mates.

I didn't think I would miss new York but I really am. I'm not feeling the summer in DC thing at all. Having a hard time not being bored. IDK. Going to wait a couple months on this and probably get it on sale. I know its a me problem but I'm just not feeling this. As most are comparing it to Anthem, I will too. I think Anthem's gameplay and customization are much more interesting and once they add some new zones and work out the kinks I think it will be the much better of the two but we shall see.

I swear I am not trying to dogpile Anthem. I was a defender of the game leading up to release, and have spent roughly 40 hours with it in total, so I clearly don't hate it, but I have to ask: What customization do you speak of? The customization I have experienced in Anthem feels extremely limited, and as far as just adding a few zones, I mean, I just feel it needs a lot more than that.

I played Division for 200+ hours in the first couple months and that was before they added like 2-3 modes to the game (right? I read about survival and other stuff).

Gameplay wise, the flying suits are definitely fun as hell, and the strength of Anthem IMO. Can't argue with you there.

waylo

Banned
I swear I am not trying to dogpile Anthem. I was a defender of the game leading up to release, and have spent roughly 40 hours with it in total, so I clearly don't hate it, but I have to ask: What customization do you speak of? The customization I have experienced in Anthem feels extremely limited, and as far as just adding a few zones, I mean, I just feel it needs a lot more than that.

I played Division for 200+ hours in the first couple months and that was before they added like 2-3 modes to the game (right? I read about survival and other stuff).

Gameplay wise, the flying suits are definitely fun as hell, and the strength of Anthem IMO. Can't argue with you there.
My buddy talks about the customization being good too and I really don't understand. You can change the color and material of your suit, that's it. Oh, you can throw pre-made stickers on it too. Okay. Meanwhile, Division has a complete character creator that allows you to fully customize the clothing you're wearing and all the gear you pickup visually changes your appearance as well.

I include the fact that you can play any of the four javelins, and with each Javelin you can customize not only the look (not a big deal) but the abilities, supers, powers, etc. Combo's are cool too. And yea, like you said, the combat is ace. But I find a lot lacking with Anthem right now, I didn't mean to come across as praising it overly. I think the environments all looks the same and the enemy variety sucks. I guess I'm waiting for one of these two to step up and become my new addiction. But right now I'm feeling Anthem's game play more.

whyman

Had so much fun playing the beta solo. Did not expect that! Only played The Division 1 beta for a bit and ended up not buying it because it was boring. People say this feels a lot like division 1 so i guess i missed out. Ended up pre ordering the gold edition of division 2. (I know i know but its so much fun!)

Ended up going Gold Edition with the pre-order. Wasn't even quite sure what the Ultimate could give me that Gold doesn't, mostly am interested in the 3 day "early access."

Counting the days now!

Ended up going Gold Edition with the pre-order. Wasn't even quite sure what the Ultimate could give me that Gold doesn't, mostly am interested in the 3 day "early access."

Counting the days now!

I did get Ultimate even though it's not really worth it value-wise. I think the big thing with the Ultimate edition is the 50 stash size head start.

You'll also get an exotic AR (that you'll probably out-level in 30 minutes), an exclusive skill effect and some outfits and weapon skins.

Last edited:

Pryor

Well my concern about loading times was unnecessary. I've been dropping in and out of the beta all weekend and I am really enjoying the experience. So much so I picked up the Ultimate Edition and a new headset to enjoy with it. Now the question is do I continue to play or hold off now and wait for release?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Yep, although i have spent a ton of time in freeplay, so it probably skews that 38 hours a bit. Point is that the game has a lot of content.
It really doesn't and how did you spend a ton of time in Freeplay? What were you doing, just flying around the empty world?

scalman

as im playing lvl8 cleaning areas that where captured again by enemy im getting more blue stuff now and more betteer weapons so now iv changed famas to something more stable and dealing better damage started getting blue guns like police m4 or military p416 those much better then famas and can hold extended mad to 61 bullets thats becoming game changer
And world is full of stuff. There is allways new area controlled by enemie appear where you will get new gear when you clean it

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I did get Ultimate even though it's not really worth it value-wise. I think the big thing with the Ultimate edition is the 50 stash size head start.

You'll also get an exotic AR (that you'll probably out-level in 30 minutes), an exclusive skill effect and some outfits and weapon skins.

I heard they had changed that stash stuff due to a bit of a backlash, could be wrong but heard it on one of skillups videos.

I think I will probably end up getting this, maybe not at launch but a few weeks after. Definitely think I will easily get my monies worth as I played the first game a lot!

How does DLC work with this game then, is it all free but just some versions you get it earlier?

I heard they had changed that stash stuff due to a bit of a backlash, could be wrong but heard it on one of skillups videos.

I think I will probably end up getting this, maybe not at launch but a few weeks after. Definitely think I will easily get my monies worth as I played the first game a lot!

How does DLC work with this game then, is it all free but just some versions you get it earlier?

Yeah. All episodes, game modes, PvP maps and the like are free. Year 1 pass holders get access 7 days early.

The stash stuff may have changed, but it's still in just as a temporary bonus. Speculation is it was permanent at one point.

Last edited:
I include the fact that you can play any of the four javelins, and with each Javelin you can customize not only the look (not a big deal) but the abilities, supers, powers, etc. Combo's are cool too. And yea, like you said, the combat is ace. But I find a lot lacking with Anthem right now, I didn't mean to come across as praising it overly. I think the environments all looks the same and the enemy variety sucks. I guess I'm waiting for one of these two to step up and become my new addiction. But right now I'm feeling Anthem's game play more.

To be truthful they need more diversity in Javelin armor but I’m in hog heaven with both of these games.....can easily play both of them.

The enemies in this Division are much more strategic than the first....it is obvious this Division is more PVE focus....not saying they have forgotten the pvp but they put a lot more into the pve.

They really need to fix the bugs though...had real problems with the sounds.

scalman

Yh loved fighting against enemies in DZ not for long sadly and tomor beta wilk end so not much i tried DZ but what i tries i liked it. Some player shot me one time duno why later i saw him again and we fought against other enemies. I dont care for that rly still enjoying all that. Got more purple stuff from DZ. And more blue weapons which is nice. Id love even more stuff for pve.

As a solo player in still not sure if I should get this or not

Not paying the beta a lot as busy this week typically but from what I played is fun but very similar to the first division.
Can't be bothered with PvP die hards hmmmmm

Pryor

Not paying the beta a lot as busy this week typically but from what I played is fun but very similar to the first division.
If you enjoyed the first then I would say it is worth the purchase, DZ is one aspect of the game and easily avoided. Sure the loot is good in the DZ but in the final release I am sure there will be other ways solo players and non-pvp players can get their phat loot.

It's going to be even easier to avoid the DZ this time around it seems.

Plus, there seems like there's so much PvE content right from the start.

Also, curious if the occupied DZ will make the unoccupied DZs less ganky for the more PvE focused.

There's matchmaking for everything. You can almost completely ignore the pvp content.

Ogbert

I'm sold. Good game. Snappy controls, interesting world, great graphics and good gunplay.

Also, if you pretend that all the idiot mobs are Antifa, it becomes much more amusing.

Also, if you pretend that all the idiot mobs are Antifa, it becomes much more amusing.

HA! I was doing exactly this. When I watched the intro I thought to myself, yea these bad guys are absolutely leftists and the only ones that would hold society together is conservative folks who know their way around firearms. Anyway, just curious, what platform did you play on?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This is how you do a open beta, which is essentially a demo more than anything else. I played both the PC and PS4 to end-game and the stability (and beauty) of the PS4 (on a Pro) has me getting this on consoles. I'm sure it's not a locked 30FPS, but I'd be hard pressed to tell.

. . .and I've been defending Anthem since jump, but - and this may be due to experience - this is what people mean when they're talking about a content rich game. I think TD2 has really exposed the weakness of Anthem to me: too much disconnected zones. Forget the loading and the lack of content, that The Division puts you seamlessly into all of the action makes doing repetitive stuff far more enjoyable.

Really great game and I can't wait for the grousing from Jim Sterling about their being "early access" for the game -

GameSpot apparently leaked a horde mode (Resistance in Division 1) in the article about the Patriot gear set. The article has been edited to remove the reference.

Shooting range as well as the new recalibration system got leaked.

You can see all the leaked photos here and this is the source.
tui8JxW.jpg

zoLSFdu.jpg

45Ve7ji.jpg

Also, my speculation about Underground was wrong. It does say that on the map, but it's just access to the sewer system apparently.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Well the shooting range is referenced in game so I guess not much of a leak. Horde Mode is definitely a leak as I've seen that "requested" all over the place.

I really like the new approach to recalibration. Or at least the new option.

Every item that drops can potentially be valuable for its stats and talents.

I’d like to think that everything D1 ended with will either be there at launch or unlocked/added pretty soon after

Yeah. I have to imagine Underground in some form is coming. It was such a popular addition.

Duellist

Had a pretty good time playing this with buddies. Put about 17hrs in. Finished story and got our ass kicked in the dz. Going to buy as my multiplayer game and buy Sekiro for my single player.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
As a dude with not much time on my hands - I'm not sure if this game is right for me. I like the RPG mechanics and the shooting is decent and the different weapons I've tried so far all work really well. But these missions - I dunno. I tried for about 30 minutes to do the "library" side mission. I got to the roof and encountered the guy with the yellow health bar, and I couldn't phase him no matter what. Turrets, shotgun, all that. I could see blue number (armor damage?) ticking down, but nothing I could do would get him. I killed all the other guys on the roof but him while he chased me around.

I was getting frustrated, and I had other stuff that needed to get done, and I turned the console off. Instead of checkpointing me on the roof so I could try again, I logged back in and was completely tossed out of the library level which meant I had to start all over again.

If a single mission takes an hour or more of my uninterrupted time without the ability to checkpoint and turn off the console, it's a good sign that this game is just going to be a recipe for my frustration.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If a single mission takes an hour or more of my uninterrupted time without the ability to checkpoint and turn off the console, it's a good sign that this game is just going to be a recipe for my frustration.

I would say every single mission in this demo is soloable. Either your gear was a bit weak or maybe you weren't utilizing your toolkit beyond the guns?

Yeah, the blue numbers are armor damage.

Afaik, there's no way for that elite in that particular mission to heal his armor, so I'm not sure why his armor wouldn't eventually drop for you.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've been playing a lot of solo and once you unlock the assault turret, it gets a lot easier to protect your flank. Co-op is so much better. I'm not a huge fan of playing with randos, but I've been playing DZ with my brother today on Xbox and it's been way easier and way more fun. Still getting random audio glitches it's really game breaking, but that's what a beta is for!

scalman

As solo player even i go to see whats in dz. Its not bad there saw couple players but it was ok and its easier shoot elites that way too. And then all run their ways , so solo players should check dz as well. I know i will

GenericUser

I didn't like it at all. The scenario is interesting and the artstyle top notch, but the gameplay man, the gameplay falls flat imo.

- Feels as if the game is stuttering all the time. Even on my pro, it does not seem to run at 30fps for the most part.
- Weapons sound so weak, why is that? Wouldn't it be the easiest thing in the world to make the weapons sound cool?
- Visual and audio feedback if you hit an enemy is lame. Thats a major minus in my book, because killing dudes is the main activity in the game. It needs to feel satisfying to waste a guy with a shotgun, in this game, it doesn't.
- UI is horrible. I wish they would have just designed a simple, easy to look at UI instead of this edgelord crap. A bazillion submenus and animations when you change between them Makes me wonder if the menu designer even plays games himself.
- Characters are bland. They hit you with the "tough mom who lost her child" stereotype in the second mission, urgh.
- Constrols are a little weird. Going to cover and picking up items are the same button, why? The aiming with the thumbstick also feels unprecise, especially if you compare it to genre gold standards like apex or cod.
- Minor nitpick: why are the enemies always cursing as if they are 12 or something?

All in all, very underwhelming experience. As I said, the scenario is interesting, they nailed the artstyle in my opinion, but that doesn't help if the game just isn't fun to play. It's a little baffling to be quite honest because the blueprints are there. Look how diablo did audiovisual damage feedback, look how destiny nailed the gunplay. It's there, copy it and improve on it.

bati

Played the Invaded mission with my buddy last night and we both had tons of fun. Also, the heavy demo spec (with shotty and grenade launcher) is da baws. Combat encounters felt way more dynamic than in the first game. AI constantly tried to flank and surround us, remote cars be drones were an actual danger we had to pay attention to and the feeling of slowly creeping around the arena to get better angles on the enemy was a welcome change from the turtling that worked so well in the first game. Initially I was a bit disappointed that scope attachments don't work like in first person mode Wildlands but this plays nicely into tailoring your kit to fight at specific ranges. I'm pretty sure I'll play shotties in the final version.

Locational armour on enemies also seems like it's a new thing? I don't remember being able to destroy the armour plates on enemies in the first game (only played first two months). The fact that the final mission featured only a few purple and elite enemies was also a welcome change but that will likely change on heroic versions of the mission s.

New armour mechanic is also a good change, shooting feels a little better than in the first game. Loot at lower levels is also more interesting, and I'm hoping endgame sets and stats are better thought out than they were in the first game in the beginning, but from what I've seen on the loot in this endgame mission things look promising.

I have to echo the edgelord UI sentiment though. The menus I can deal with, but I really don't need to see the geometry of my character model in the middle of the combat. Visuals are already cluttered enough and I hope Massive provides us with options to turn some of these elements off.

In any case, I plan to go balls deep into this game. Sekiro will have to wait.

I'm also pretty sure I will practically live in the DZ lol.

120v

As a dude with not much time on my hands - I'm not sure if this game is right for me. I like the RPG mechanics and the shooting is decent and the different weapons I've tried so far all work really well. But these missions - I dunno. I tried for about 30 minutes to do the "library" side mission. I got to the roof and encountered the guy with the yellow health bar, and I couldn't phase him no matter what. Turrets, shotgun, all that. I could see blue number (armor damage?) ticking down, but nothing I could do would get him. I killed all the other guys on the roof but him while he chased me around.

I was getting frustrated, and I had other stuff that needed to get done, and I turned the console off. Instead of checkpointing me on the roof so I could try again, I logged back in and was completely tossed out of the library level which meant I had to start all over again.

i dunno man that was a pretty run of the mill mission and really shouldn't have taken that long or been that challenging. sounds like you may still need to learn the ropes in way of enemy prioritization, when to use specials, or having gear up to spec, ect (i melted the yellow bar guy relatively easily).

i had trouble with beginning missions in the first game too, and being a little rusty on the private beta i got wiped a few times on that very mission we're talking about. but once you get in the tactical groove regular missions shouldn't be much trouble to knock out in one sitting

Last edited:
I didn't like it at all. The scenario is interesting and the artstyle top notch, but the gameplay man, the gameplay falls flat imo.

- Feels as if the game is stuttering all the time. Even on my pro, it does not seem to run at 30fps for the most part.
- Weapons sound so weak, why is that? Wouldn't it be the easiest thing in the world to make the weapons sound cool?
- Visual and audio feedback if you hit an enemy is lame. Thats a major minus in my book, because killing dudes is the main activity in the game. It needs to feel satisfying to waste a guy with a shotgun, in this game, it doesn't.
- UI is horrible. I wish they would have just designed a simple, easy to look at UI instead of this edgelord crap. A bazillion submenus and animations when you change between them Makes me wonder if the menu designer even plays games himself.
- Characters are bland. They hit you with the "tough mom who lost her child" stereotype in the second mission, urgh.
- Constrols are a little weird. Going to cover and picking up items are the same button, why? The aiming with the thumbstick also feels unprecise, especially if you compare it to genre gold standards like apex or cod.
- Minor nitpick: why are the enemies always cursing as if they are 12 or something?

All in all, very underwhelming experience. As I said, the scenario is interesting, they nailed the artstyle in my opinion, but that doesn't help if the game just isn't fun to play. It's a little baffling to be quite honest because the blueprints are there. Look how diablo did audiovisual damage feedback, look how destiny nailed the gunplay. It's there, copy it and improve on it.
  • No stuttering on my vanilla xbone
  • Weapons sound weak? What? Not at all and they sound much better than in the first game
  • I don't agree at all (visual and audio feedback)
  • UI is indeed bad, tons to improve.
  • Characters are generic just as in the first game, yes. But this is a multiplayer online shooter/rpg, soooo...
  • Going to cover is A and picking up items is X... so I don't get this complaint?
  • Maybe because they're fighting against a faction they hate? Usually criminals curse their enemies all the time.

scalman

For me weapond sound better deeper sound but it depends from weapon and from where you are in open or inside room they sound differently which is amazing

scalman

went to 16gb ram from 8gb , no more stutters or other lags. cant find loot in DZ ..where you want shoot enemies other players there too so you not getting much loot or any or any good.

Alebrije

Do the levels and equipment you get in the beta will be kept in the final game? I hope so.

the game is basically the Division 1 ( final fix) with some new elements, also found better AI ( still has some isues but its an improvement vs D1) and enemies more agressive , like the new ones that run chasing you....those are the crazy ones....!!!

So if you liked D1 .....D2 wont dissapoint you.

As solo player even i go to see whats in dz. Its not bad there saw couple players but it was ok and its easier shoot elites that way too. And then all run their ways , so solo players should check dz as well. I know i will

I think I read that this time around they will at least try and match solo players together in DZ areas.

Edit

I don't mean matchmaking as a team, I mean solo players playing solo in the DZ, instead of solo players always running up agaist pre-made groups. Though you can enter the DZ solo and team up with other solo players while in there,.

Last edited:

scalman

I dont need match anything or be with anyone there but shooting enemie asses with some random guy is cool just as long as they dont bother me
Now dz10 but i dont get any new loot in hrs now. No new weapons nothing.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Hmm, no? Cover is X, picking up items is square.

scalman

can we get more purple gear and weapons in this beta? i got early couple purple gear in main area not DZ and now i got both weapons blue but nowere purple be seen, and why in DZ they dropp now green weapons and gear, i dont need green . i wish that would be more like balanced .
my weapons now. im using both similar weapons but with extra mag 60 so i can make cheese out of any 2,3 enemies no relad needed.
aDT6R1u.jpg

someone said bad graphics or detail ... i mean iv never seen this good looking stuff before
2nzXSk7.jpg

Dev1lXYZ

I really liked the beta and fulfilled all of the activities for the items. I ran into some sound issues and the texture pop on XB1X was a little annoying but there is a whole lot of fun things to do for $60.

Top Bottom