• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I stopped playing this game after I finished all the quests that I could find. Took me over 120 hours. Time well spent. I loved Oblivion.

Haeleos

I found Oblivion's settings and landscape very generic but Morrowind's had some very refreshing locales. Here's hoping the next Elder Scrolls game has a bit more variety in the art.

It's funny, I've decided to reinstall Oblivion and give it another run. After enjoying Fallout 3, maybe a refreshing take on the Elder Scrolls universe will change my mind about the game.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Slow-mo arrows to the face awesome.

This would change the minds of MILLIONS. Arrow through the eye or a Mace (is there such a weapon in the game? I forget) smashing the skull to bits

chemicals

I need to chime in because I just got the Shivering Isles expansion and started really playing Oblivion again.. the last time I'd really played it, I was the proud poppa of a newborn baby and would play all night while my wife slept (she took care of the baby during the day when I went to work) - so instead of sleep, I chose Oblivion to kill time between diaper changes and feedings.

During that time, dealing with my newborn every night, playing Oblivion for hours a day, I managed to put in over 160 hours in the main game. I eventually moved on to other games after finishing the main quest and all of the guild quests... When the expansions came out (Knights Of The Nine, Mehrune's Razor, etc) I purchased them, but found it hard to really get back into the game deeply as I originally did the first time around...

NOW - with Shivering Isles for sale on XBLA, I had to dive in again... and I'm LOVING EVERY SECOND. Shivering Isles is really a compelling game and truly feels like a completely different game... I'm loving it. I've fallen right back in love with the game engine and I'm having so much fun completing quests and creating spells, etc... anyway.. I haven't bought Fallout 3 yet, but I intend to as soon as I finish Shivering Isles. I whole-heartedly recommend Shivering Isles as a cheap prelude to Fallout 3... MUCH MUCH love to Bethesda!

Tr4nce said:
Now I know why I don't like Fallout3 as much as Oblivion. Oblivion has MAGIC, set in a world of fantasy, while Fallout 3 is more gun/weapon orientated.

Ironically that's the biggest reason I like Fallout more.

I'm going to go back after finishing my time in Fallout to complete this game. I've done the Knights of The Nine, but haven't completed the main story yet either (just been doing random stuff, exploring etc...). I'm saving Shivering Isles for last, which many have said is the best Oblivion has to offer, sooo.... looks like I'll be busy this holiday season!!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Oh man, nice to see this get bumped up. Fallout 3 has me nostalgic for all the Oblivion goodness I've seen and done.

That linked story is some of the funniest shit I've read in a long time.

time to replay oblivion while waiting for some awesome fallout 3 mods

in other news I GOT FCOM WORKING, only took like 2 hours of putting it all together!

oblivion_fcom.jpg

trailer

now to install Qarls Texture Pack 3

Meshes and textures in Oblivion are now 4 times the resolution of the vanilla textures. Dungeons, architecture, rocks, landscapes, butterflies, snowflakes, and blood splatters are now much, much more photo realistic. A huge 1.7 GB download but well worth it. Be aware that if you have a lower-end PC or only a mid-range graphics card, this pack could cause severe slow-down and make the game nearly unplayable.
I think my 280gtx with a gig of vram, could handle it (it isnt gta4! after all :lol ).

82 hours in and I haven't managed to touch the main quest :D

However, I've done a shitton of side-quests for people and have progressed about half way through the dark brotherhood. Damn. The game is huge. Also, I don't fast travel. I run everywhere baby, especially since my dude is a warrior and needs his athletics up.

Love this game.

Robbie Drums said:
Hmm. Why are weapons/items in caves and shit randomized? Thats way annoying. Way way annoying.

They are randomized to insure that you get decent gear that is of value to you across all levels. It's a way of balancing things, and I never found it annoying, although there were times that I lost great items because I died and when I went back to the area, something else was there.

Besides, it mostly doesn't matter after awhile. You're better off creating your own items that are far more powerful, and just sell everything else off. At some point, you have so much gold that it's just another way of keeping score.

Guys I just got Shivering Isles expansion and would like to replay the game again. First time was a blast and I played vanilla. This time around I want to use one of those overhaul mods that fix monsters leveling with you.

I checked FCOM but I think it might be to much both in terms of tinkering and in terms of what it adds to the game. So would you recommend Frans or OOO or something else perhaps?

I've only tried Fran's, so that's my recommendation. The level scaling is appropriate enough that your level feels significant. Install it with Martigen's Monsters mod for a decent boost in variety as well.

karasu

I just started on the PC version. I like the Deadly Reflex mod. The gory moves work well with my evil amazon Adriana Lima.

archnemesis said:
Get the GOTY edition. It comes with the Shivering Isles expansion.
Thanks I've played it a bit before and always have a problem with the leveling system. Do I pick a class or micro manage to get the best stats. The later always seems to take away from the game play.

soldat7

Two questions:

1) If I buy the GOTY edition on 360, do my save games still work from my original copy?

2) Does installing the game to the HDD yield any benefits?

Bebpo

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
time to replay oblivion while waiting for some awesome fallout 3 mods

in other news I GOT FCOM WORKING, only took like 2 hours of putting it all together!

trailer

now to install Qarls Texture Pack 3

I think my 280gtx with a gig of vram, could handle it (it isnt gta4! after all :lol ).

Wow. I tried to play vanilla Oblivion (X360) when it came out and hated it, but these mods make me want to get the PC one and give it another shot. They seem to make the gameplay a lot more interesting and the graphical updates make the game look pretty nice.

BitchTits

mattiewheels said:
i finished with the arena, and found out that the champion was a son-of-a-vampire. he was so sad about that that he didn't even put up a fight, just begged for death. and now i have this troll doll kid 'adoring fan' following me around now :lol :lol
Take him to that really high point in the mountains, there's a ledge and just push him off. He won't die, but it's fun any way :lol

darkjedi187 said:
What about the vampire glitch. And how do you guy play/level?
What glitch?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i have a question about the game guys, does it have the option to decrease game difficulty like fallout 3 does ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
can someone give me a rough idea of how long the load times on a standard arcade 360 without the HDD are ? i mean, i've played fallout 3 and didn't mind the load times that much ..

MrFingers

chandoog said:
can someone give me a rough idea of how long the load times on a standard arcade 360 without the HDD are ? i mean, i've played fallout 3 and didn't mind the load times that much ..

There was a bug I

Boss Man

While we're here, has there been any shred of info about the next Elder Scrolls game? One might assume that it's not too far out, with Fallout 3 having been finished for so long.

bengraven

Damn, I think I have all the DLC.

EXCEPT Horse Armor.

I should buy it now for humor's sake, but $5 is a lot of money for such short laughs. :lol

Top Bottom