• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

robertsan21 said:
can someone explain to me why the actors union are boycotting this film?

“Members of Canadian Actors Equity, US Actors Equity, the Screen Actors Guild, UK Actors Equity, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance (Australia) and the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists are advised not to accept work on this non-union production. If you are contacted to be engaged on The Hobbit please notify your union immediately.”

The sticking point is in bold.

raphier

Banned
I am really pissed by the fact it's being filmed in 3D. I fucking hate 3D, it makes me tired and sleepy during the film and makes me worn out of my patience. Not good, PJ, not good at all.

Salazar

Jackson's mob explained their side of it quite clearly and persuasively.

New Line, Warner Bros. Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures are concerned by the recent allegations of unfair treatment of actors in New Zealand and instructions from the performers' guilds to their membership to withhold services from the producers of “The Hobbit” in New Zealand.

We are proud to have good relations with all of those performers' guilds and value their contribution to the motion pictures produced in their respective jurisdictions throughout the world. But we believe that in this case the allegations are baseless and unfair to Peter Jackson and his team in Wellington who have been tireless supporters of the New Zealand motion picture community.

To classify the production as "non-union" is inaccurate. The cast and crew are being engaged under collective bargaining agreements where applicable and we are mindful of the rights of those individuals pursuant to those agreements. And while we have previously worked with MEAA, an Australian union now seeking to represent actors in New Zealand, the fact remains that there cannot be any collective bargaining with MEAA on this New Zealand production, for to do so would expose the production to liability and sanctions under New Zealand law. This legal prohibition has been explained to MEAA. We are disappointed that MEAA has nonetheless continued to pursue this course of action.
Motion picture production requires the certainty that a production can reasonably proceed without disruption and it is our general policy to avoid filming in locations where there is potential for work force uncertainty or other forms of instability. As such, we are exploring all alternative options in order to protect our business interests.

The MEAA are these guys.

For some years performers in New Zealand have struggled on non-union contracts. These contracts provide no minimum guarantees of wages or working conditions, no residual payments and no cancellation payments in the event the performer’s contract is cancelled.

In 2006, at the request of New Zealand performers, the Australian union, the Media Entertainment & Arts Alliance (Alliance) opened an office in New Zealand.

Since that time the New Zealand branch of the Alliance has sought to negotiate with both individual producers and with the producers’ association but to no avail.

The International Federation of Actors (FIA), of which the vast majority of performer unions around the world are members, resolved that the time had come for performers around the world to support their colleagues in New Zealand and seek a union contract for all performers on The Hobbit.

Jackson won't tie himself in legal knots for them, so this union has called in its friends to fuck up production.

Branduil

It seems to me this union has no concept of what leverage is. As in, they have none. All they're doing is setting up the ruin of their jobs.

raphier said:
I am really pissed by the fact it's being filmed in 3D. I fucking hate 3D, it makes me tired and sleepy during the film and makes me worn out of my patience. Not good, PJ, not good at all.
You can bet that there will be a normal version, just like Avatar had two. ;)

Salazar

robertsan21 said:
So why dont the filmmakers comply to the unions requests?

And while we have previously worked with MEAA, an Australian union now seeking to represent actors in New Zealand, the fact remains that there cannot be any collective bargaining with MEAA on this New Zealand production, for to do so would expose the production to liability and sanctions under New Zealand law.

This bit.

We need some Phisheep up in this bitch, though.

Salazar said:
This bit.

We need some Phisheep up in this bitch, though.

wow so this new union from australia, why is it in New zealand and doing buissnes?

shouldnt New zealand have their own Union for actors?

Macca

robertsan21 said:
wow so this new union from australia, why is it in New zealand and doing buissnes?

Just doing a little bit of research it looks like this. I'm no lawyer, and may be completely wrong howeveer :p I wasn't able to find the relevant section in the Commerce Act which disallows talking to the unions, but I'll keep looking.
  • New Zealand doesn't have a major Actors Union, due to the Commerce Act disallowing it.
  • There is however Actors Equity New Zealand, which is an autonomous part of the MEAA in Australia. I'm guessing the MEAA purchased or gained control of Actors Equity New Zealand.
  • Peter Jackson has stated that "The Australian Labour Union, the MEAA is using our production The Hobbit in an attempt to widen it's membership, and power within the New Zealand film industry."
  • So now we have a reason why the MEAA would want to do this.
  • But how does this effect production? Well, because legally the producers on The Hobbit cannot enter into negotiations with the Union they are refusing to do so. This has meant a number of other Actors Unions such as the Screen Actors Guild in the US have come out in support of MEAA.
  • Apprently SAG bylaws prohibit actors working under non union labour, and actors such as Ian McKellen and Hugo Weaving could face expulsion.
  • So if Jackson is not willing to enter into negotiations with AENZ potential actors may not participate in the movie.

Hato-kun

robertsan21 said:

Because that's what fuckin' Australia does.

I don't know much in the business of actors, but I do know a lot in the way of the post productions of the film. If this film is pushed overseas, it will most likely be the end of the New Zealand Film Industry. Being an aspiring New Zealand film-maker myself, I don't fuckin' like that idea.

EDIT: Fine then, Macca. Now I DO know why they are being asshats.

Macca

Hato-kun said:
Because that's what fuckin' Australia does.

I don't know much in the business of actors, but I do know a lot in the way of the post productions of the film. If this film is pushed overseas, it will most likely be the end of the New Zealand Film Industry. Being an aspiring New Zealand film-maker myself, I don't fuckin' like that idea.

EDIT: Fine then, Macca. Now I DO know why they are being asshats.
Yep. I'm sure Australia would like to control as much of our film industry as possible, and that's what sparked the reaction from Jackson. Even if he could legally deal with the Union I don't think he would, simply because they are Australian. We have to protect our interests, and having our actors under an Australian Union could be disastrous.

Cheerilee

robertsan21 said:
can someone explain to me why the actors union are boycotting this film?
In New Zealand, "independent contractors" aren't allowed to form a union.

2.5-10% of the actors in New Zealand (100-200 people) decided to join a "club" that is not officially a union. They want to become a union so that they can be taken seriously, so that they can scare the other 90-97.5% of New Zealand actors who haven't joined the club into joining them or facing the possibility of not getting any more work, so that they can have more power and leverage and make greater pay demands, and the union management will take a cut of everything and get rich. Oh and, solve some pressing human rights violation issues.

To this end, the club joined forces with the real Australian actors union, but that still doesn't make the club a real New Zealand union. Peter Jackson will apparently hire anyone who wants a job and looks the most qualified. He won't sign a deal that blocks him from hiring 90-97.5% of New Zealand actors. This makes him "non-union". If he was a union man, he would fight to have the law changed, and then he'd sign a union contract which would give all his acting jobs to the New Zealand/Australian union and prevent him from hiring non-unionized New Zealanders. He'd need to get the union's written permission anytime he wanted to hire anyone who was non-union or from another union.

The Australian union complains about Jackson's lack of bending over backwards for them, and it's standard practice with unions that when one union starts crying, other unions within earshot start taking up fighting positions, otherwise it looks like they're breaking the unwritten law of unions, and they might themselves face retaliation from other unions.

Jackson is threatening to move away from New Zealand/Australia, which would solve the problem and give halfhearted opponents like the Screen Actor's Guild an excuse to back down without looking weak. The club decided to meet to decide what their next move is. 1000 technicians (5 to 10 times as many people as are in the entire club) decided to protest the club meeting and tell them to stop being fucking assholes. The club ran away.

Macca007 said:
Yep. I'm sure Australia would like to control as much of our film industry as possible, and that's what sparked the reaction from Jackson. Even if he could legally deal with the Union I don't think he would, simply because they are Australian. We have to protect our interests, and having our actors under an Australian Union could be disastrous.
If the law was changed and actors unions became allowed, Jackson could easily ask someone with management skills to start up a new union and announce that he's giving his contract to the new union instead of Actors Equity, and the new union would unseat Actors Equity as the dominant actors union in New Zealand overnight.

jett

D-Member
raphier said:

What the hell is stopping you from watching the movies in a regular 2D screen?

Macca

ruby_onix said:

2.5-10% of the actors in New Zealand (100-200 people) decided to join a "club" that is not officially a union. They want to become a union so that they can be taken seriously, so that they can scare the other 90-97.5% of New Zealand actors who haven't joined the club into joining them or facing the possibility of not getting any more work, so that they can have more power and leverage and make greater pay demands, and the union management will take a cut of everything and get rich. Oh and, solve some pressing human rights violation issues.

To this end, the club joined forces with the real Australian actors union, but that still doesn't make the club a real New Zealand union. Peter Jackson will apparently hire anyone who wants a job and looks the most qualified. He won't sign a deal that blocks him from hiring 90-97.5% of New Zealand actors. This makes him "non-union". If he was a union man, he would fight to have the law changed, and then he'd sign a union contract which would give all his acting jobs to the New Zealand/Australian union and prevent him from hiring non-unionized New Zealanders. He'd need to get the union's written permission anytime he wanted to hire anyone who was non-union or from another union.

The Australian union complains about Jackson's lack of bending over backwards for them, and it's standard practice with unions that when one union starts crying, other unions within earshot start taking up fighting positions, otherwise it looks like they're breaking the unwritten law of unions, and they might themselves face retaliation from other unions.

Jackson is threatening to move away from New Zealand/Australia, which would solve the problem and give halfhearted opponents like the Screen Actor's Guild an excuse to back down without looking weak. The club decided to meet to decide what their next move is. 1000 technicians (5 to 10 times as many people as are in the entire club) decided to protest the club meeting and tell them to stop being fucking assholes. The club ran away.
Thanks for clearing all that up. It makes sense that Jackson would threaten to move overseas, that way nobody wins, and the club looks bad. I still hope it gets filmed here, it would be a great loss to the NZ film industry to have it filmed offshore.

If the law was changed and actors unions became allowed, Jackson could easily ask someone with management skills to start up a new union and announce that he's giving his contract to the new union instead of Actors Equity, and the new union would unseat Actors Equity as the dominant actors union in New Zealand overnight.
That's true, although the law change would not go through overnight. The time it would take to push an amendment to the commerce act through parliament would push filming of The Hobbit too far back. Maybe for the future it could be something that is looked at, although I'm sure the laws are in place for a reason.

raphier said:
:lol :lol :lol

Then don't watch it in 3D.

ruby_onix said:

thanks that was informative and I understod it all.

The hobbit must to be filmed in NZ!!

man I do hope that these fucking unions back down.

raphier

Banned
Big Baybee said:
:lol :lol :lol

Then don't watch it in 3D.
But the problem here around my town and near towns is...all 3D movies have no alternatives. I know, but shit, If hobbit is going to have a 3D version, there won't be 2D then I won't be watching a prequel to one of my fauvorite movies. Not funny.

NZNova

The producers of the Lord of the Rings prequel The Hobbit say preparations are being made to move the production off-shore.

In a statement issued to the media this morning, Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh said industrial action by NZ Actors' Equity and Australian union Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance had "undermined Warner Bro's confidence in New Zealand as a stable employment environment, and they are now, quite rightly, very concerned about the security of their $500m investment".

The pair said the lifting of the actors' blacklist of the production has done nothing to help the films stay in New Zealand.

"The damage inflicted on our film industry by NZ [Actors'] Equity/MEAA is long since done," they said.

"Next week Warner's are coming down to NZ to make arrangements to move the production off-shore. It appears we now cannot make films in our own country - even when substantial financing is available."

Last night up to 1500 workers marched from Weta's Miramar studios into central Wellington to picket an Actors' Equity meeting being held at St John's Hall. The Equity meeting - which was to discuss unrelated matters - was cancelled after union bosses learned the march was on its way.

"The spectacle of NZ Actors' Equity suddenly cancelling their Wellington meeting, because film workers wanted to express to them their concern at losing The Hobbit, exemplifies the pure gutlessness of this small, self-centred group."

"They don't appear to care about the repercussions of their actions on others, nor are they prepared to take responsibility for decisions made in their name. NZ Equity constantly refer to 'good faith' discussions but they have never acted in good faith towards our film."

The statement said four weeks ago NZ Equity, represented MEAA, urged "several international actor's unions to gang up on our production in an attempt to bully us into illegal collective bargaining".

"MEAA's representative, Simon Whipp, admitted in a recent interview with the Hollywood Reporter, that it was his intention to use The Hobbit as a way to 'unionise other productions' in the New Zealand film industry - presumably whether we want it or not.

"This unilateral decision, made by an off shore union, we assume with Equity's blessing, is the reason why our film industry is now in dire jeopardy."

The statement said while they do not deny the unions the right to represent their group of actors, the industrial action was taken without consultation with their members.

"These clumsy, heavy-handed tactics have put at risk the livelihoods of thousands of workers and jeopardised a potential investment of a billion plus dollars into the NZ economy."

Walsh and Sir Peter said they will "continue the fight" to keep the film in New Zealand, but ultimately this decision belongs to Warner Brothers.

"We are however, hugely heartened by the incredible show of support from Wellington actors, technicians and crew. It is a reflection of the terrific pride NZ film workers have in their industry and their very real fear of losing their jobs."

"Seemingly overnight, NZ Actors' Equity shredded the reputation of a burgeoning industry, which has been over forty years in the making."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10682024

Well, at least now they don't have to worry about working on a non-union production, because they won't be working at all. Good work guys.

Dead

well not really...yet
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/entertainment/4255670/Hobbit-going-offshore

The Press of New Zealand has a collective quote from Jackson and Walsh, who say “The damage inflicted on our film industry by [the actors unions] is long since done,” and resolution of the union issue now “does nothing to help the film stay in New Zealand.”

The pair says that Warner Bros.’ faith in the New Zealand industry has been undermined, and that the studio is concerned about spending $500m there. “Next week Warners are coming down to New Zealand to make arrangements to move the production offshore. It appears we cannot make films in our own country even when substantial financing is available.”

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Loxley

If this actually ends up happening, and the actors unions don't fold, I'm really curious to see where the production will head off to. Of course, it'll be amusing to see various regions dancing around trying and lure Jackson and WB.

Edit:

Just read a bit more about it at /Film, if this is seriously an attempt by Australia to try and take control over the interest in the NZ film industry, than this is a dick move if I've ever seen one :( If NZ loses The Hobbit, they're really going to feel it.

Loxley said:
If this actually ends up happening, and the actors unions don't fold, I'm really curious to see where the production will head off to. Of course, it'll be amusing to see various regions dancing around trying and lure Jackson and WB.

Edit:

Just read a bit more about it at /Film, if this is seriously an attempt by Australia to try and take control over the interest in the NZ film industry, than this is a dick move if I've ever seen one :( If NZ loses The Hobbit, they're really going to feel it.

I believe the most recent speculation pointed to Eastern Europe or Canada becoming Middle-Earth for The Hobbit.

This is a huge bummer as New Zealand basically is Middle-Earth to the rest of the world, but I have faith that Jackson and co. will do their damnedest to make wherever they take the films now feel just as alive. The only location I can see really suffering from this is The Shire/Hobbiton.

jett

D-Member
That'll be a shame. On the upside The Hobbit will look considerably different from the LOTR movies, at least. :p Unless they decide to CG the hell out of the scenery.

jett said:
That'll be a shame. On the upside The Hobbit will look considerably different from the LOTR movies, at least. :p Unless they decide to CG the hell out of the scenery.

They aren't going to CG the hell out of the scenery...

They will do what they've always done.. compositing, minatures etc. CG only if they need it.

Lebron

I don't know, Jackson has gotten more CG crazy since LOTR. I wouldn't rule it out :p

Also, god damn at all the recent events

Lebron said:
I don't know, Jackson has gotten more CG crazy since LOTR. I wouldn't rule it out :p

Also, god damn at all the recent events

His last film of that calibur was King Kong. KK was made pretty much the same way LOTR was made. The only big uses of CG were the creatures.
Most of everything else was either sets or minatures.

Unless they're going the Avatar route, this will most likely stay the same. I'm sure a lot of stuff has already been made in preparation for this.

The only annoying thing is.. Hobbiton has already been rebuilt.. what's gonna happen to that?

Burger

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/4255670/Hobbit-looks-headed-overseas

LATEST: Prime Minister John Key has waded into The Hobbit debate, laying the blame at the feet of the actors' unions and promising the Government will meet with Warner Brothers.

Key said New Zealand did not need to sell itself as the place “with the biggest subsidies in the world for films to be made here".

"Our understanding is the major impediment to The Hobbit films being made in New Zealand is the actions of the union not tax incentives," he said.

"The film grants scheme in place to support the making of The Hobbit is generous. It's no question that other countries around the world have higher schemes but there needs to be some balance.

"New Zealand is a very good place to make movies… I think we have a strong position but industrial action from the unions and the threat of industrial action have substantially undermined the confidence Warner Brothers have in New Zealand. The Government needs to talk to them about that confidence."

Mr Key said the issue presented by Warner Brothers was not one of "dollars and cents".

Walsh, who rarely gives interviews, told National Radio this morning that the studio had been taking photos of locations in the UK following the drama surrounding the film in New Zealand.

"They have a huge studio there that Harry Potter have vacated, that they own, their ex Rolls Royce factory, that they say would be perfect for us."

Weta Workshop's Sir Richard Taylor, who organised a march attended by 1500 film workers in Wellington yesterday to plead with actors to come onboard, told Radio New Zealand this morning that suggestions the movie was always headed offshore were insane.

“The sets that have been built… the statement that the film was always planned to be taken offshore by Peter Jackson and the studio is incorrect.”

Sir Richard said Hobbiton and the sets could not be dug up and shipped off to England.

SAG + Actors' Equity have called off their boycott

“Today, our sister union New Zealand Actors Equity issued a statement recommending all international performer unions rescind their member advisories on the feature film production The Hobbit. In light of this recommendation, Screen Actors Guild will be alerting its members that they are now free to accept engagements, under Screen Actors Guild contract terms and conditions, on The Hobbit.”

Warner Bros. executives are going to New Zealand in the next couple days to sort this shit out once and for all, hopefully they can keep it in NZ now that there are no longer any threats to production. Unfortunately the damage may have already been done by the fact that any of this happened at all.

NZNova

WyndhamPrice said:

Warner Bros. executives are going to New Zealand in the next couple days to sort this shit out once and for all, hopefully they can keep it in NZ now that there are no longer any threats to production. Unfortunately the damage may have already been done by the fact that any of this happened at all.

Here's hoping, NZ could really do without losing this production overseas.

I'm hoping they can still film in NZ, as it's pretty much perfect for Middle Earth and they already have parts of Hobbiton built...

Cheerilee

WyndhamPrice said:

They (AE and MEAA, not the SAG) are going to have to bend farther than that if they want the Hobbit to stay in New Zealand. Calling off their action is the absolute minimum required to proceed. They need to assure Warner that this sort of thing can't happen again. There's been an outpouring of support from everyone ranging from the Prime Minister to the janitors, but for things to truly be settled, AE and MEAA are going to have to give Peter Jackson/Warner something more than just calling off their action, even if it's just a personal apology.

Bill Bailey has revealed that he auditioned for a role in Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies.

showbiz_billy_bailey.jpg

The British comic told ShortList that he tried out for the part of Gloin, father to the Lord Of The Rings character Gimli, in the two-part J.R.R. Tolkien adaptation.

"I have auditioned [for the role of Gloin the dwarf]. It was great, I went for a casting and read some lines so I'm waiting to find out," he said.

Tolkien fans have been campaigning online to get Bailey cast in the fantasy epic, starting up a petition to secure him a role.

"I don't know if it was linked to the petition but if it works, hey, on you go internet army. Petition away! Maybe I can mobilise them. I need the council to approve some building work on my house," Bailey joked.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a283389/bill-bailey-auditions-for-the-hobbit.html

Awesome... hope he's successful. Bill Bailey's too awesome to pass up, plus he already has the accent ;)

jett

D-Member
WyndhamPrice said:

I bet they will have problems during filming from these douches if they stay in NZ.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Should film it in Canada. Looks like New Zealand.

It's amazing how dumb shit can get so much in the way of making hundreds of millions of dollars. The films together will probably gross a billion dollars worldwide, combined. The suits need to sit back and let the paper stack, seriously.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Bilbo and the dwarves have been cast.

Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Rob Kazinsky, Aidan Turner, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow and Peter Hambleton have joined the ensemble cast of the The Hobbit, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros.; Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., and Peter Jackson.

Since The Hobbit films received a green light on October 15, pre-production has been in full swing. Set for release in December, 2012 and December, 2013, we can confirm that Martin Freeman (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Hot Fuzz) will play Bilbo Baggins, the hero of the story. Richard Armitage (UK TV's MI-5 and soon to appear in Captain America: The First Avenger) is set to play Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the Company of Dwarves which sets off to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from a thieving dragon.

"Despite the various rumours and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us,” says Peter Jackson. “There are a few times in your career when you come across an actor who you know was born to play a role, but that was the case as soon as I met Martin. He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave - exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit.”

He adds “Richard is one of the most exciting and dynamic actors working on screen today and we know he is going to make an amazing Thorin Oakensheild. We cannot wait to start this adventure with him and feel very lucky that one of the most beloved characters in Middle-earth is in such good hands."

Rounding out the Company of Dwarves are Aidan Turner (TV's Being Human) and Rob Kazinsky (TVs EastEnders) who play Kili and Fili, respectively. Jackson comments "Rob is an extremely talented young actor with a huge career in front of him, I'm thrilled that he has agreed to take on the role of Fili. Besides his talent as an actor, Rob is also a champion sword fighter; I'm looking forward to seeing the damage he can do to a horde of marauding Goblins!" He continues, "Adian is a wonderfully gifted young actor who hails from Ireland. I'm sure he will bring enormous heart and humor to the role of Kili."

The remaining dwarves will be played by Graham McTavish (Secretariat and TV's 24) as Dwalin; John Callen (TV's Power Rangers Jungle Fury) as Oin; Stephen Hunter (TV's All Saints) as Bombur; Mark Hadlow (King Kong) as Dori; and Peter Hambleton (TV's The Strip) as Gloin.

Jackson notes, "Graham is a terrific actor, with a great depth of experience, which I know he will bring to the role of "Dwalin. I have worked with Mark Hadlow on many projects; he is a fantastic actor. I am thrilled to be working with both of them on these movies. He adds, "I am also proud to announce the casting of New Zealand actors as Peter Hambleton, John Callen and Stephen Hunter. Fran and I know that they will bring great depth and talent to our Company of Dwarves."

The two The Hobbit films are being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros. Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with Phillipa Boyens serving as co-producer and Ken Kamins as executive producer.

The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed LOTR trilogy, also from the production team of Jackson, Walsh and Cunningham, grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, Return of the King swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture -- the first-ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

Cheerilee

WyndhamPrice said:
jett said:
I bet they will have problems during filming from these douches if they stay in NZ.
Not if they ever want anyone to film in NZ ever again.
I'm sure there will be some minor problems, but nothing big enough to cause serious damage. The AE guys have lost totally (although they never really had a shot at winning in the first place), so it's not unreasonable to think that they're going to be angry and in foul moods, particularly around The Hobbit since it was made the center of this shitstorm, until they get over it. And whenever one of them makes a mistake or causes a problem, or is just involved with simple everyday friction, the non-AE guys aren't going to cut them much slack, until they forget about it too, and everyone realizes that everyone working together on The Hobbit is on the same side.

I'm sure things will mend quickly. Regular AE members are probably just like most other people. The organizers are another matter though. They won't let things go as easily, but they've probably lost enough support to get them to keep their mouths shut for a while. The publicity might have emboldened them, but hopefully they've learned to take their political issues to the halls of government where they belong, instead of holding random innocents hostage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom