• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dead said:
I actually bought all 3 Expanded Scores from LOTR :3
I got the expanded for Fellowship, but the Expanded for the last two went OOP or unable to order at work before i could get them. So sad.

I still have fond memories of seeing Shore conduct the Atlanta Symphony for the LOTR concert a few years ago. That was so fucking epic.

I remember Shore saying years ago that he had already begun working on some ideas for The Hobbit films.

LotR without Shore would be a grave mistake.

Rindain

Banned
Shore will be back. People in Hollywood generally don't hold grudges for long.

Also, Smaug will be fuckawesome if his appearance is anything like what Del Toro was saying.

Now that Del Toro is gone, I wonder what role he had in mind for Ron Perlman. He said it was not Smaug, but something awesome. I wonder what it was.

Dead

well not really...yet
PhoncipleBone said:
I got the expanded for Fellowship, but the Expanded for the last two went OOP or unable to order at work before i could get them. So sad.

I still have fond memories of seeing Shore conduct the Atlanta Symphony for the LOTR concert a few years ago. That was so fucking epic.
They're currently available on Amazon.com, though pricey (45-67 dollars)

Dead

well not really...yet
Dead said:
They're currently available on Amazon.com, though pricey (45-67 dollars)
I havent checked if they are available again at work, but they are still quite pricey. The Fellowship set was a nice little bonus christmas present to myself when it first came out. The Extended ROTK is the holy grail one for me. Fields of Pellenor FTW.

Hmm. What is going to be really interesting is where all of WETA's resources will be dedicated to until roughly 2015...

Let's also not forget that this pretty much guarantees that Jackson won't be helming a sequel to Spielberg's Tin Tin any time soon after the first one hit next year in December.

Branduil

Shore left King Kong because of creative differences, it wasn't personal. I can't imagine they'd choose anyone else to score the Hobbit.

Dead

well not really...yet
Scullibundo said:
Hmm. What is going to be really interesting is where all of WETA's resources will be dedicated to until roughly 2015...

Let's also not forget that this pretty much guarantees that Jackson won't be helming a sequel to Spielberg's Tin Tin any time soon after the first one hit next year in December.
Im starting to think there wont be a 2nd Tintin unfortunately.

Dead said:
Im starting to think there wont be a 2nd Tintin unfortunately.

To be fair, I wasn't really concerned about the Tin Tin sequel when I posted that.

Secondly, if the first movie kicks a lot of ass, I'd prefer to keep Spielberg as director as opposed to switching up directors in a franchise - which is why Jackson's direction of The Hobbit is such great news.

watkinzez

Freeman would be great for Bilbo. Kinda concerned about the second series of Sherlock if it were true, but you can't have everything, I guess. Same with the Tintin sequel, though seeing as principal photography for the first one was fairly short, Jackson might find time to shoot it sooner rather than later.

Since The Hobbit has been greenlit, is it fair to assume that drama over at MGM is finally over and we can also expect Bond 23 announcement?

Dead

well not really...yet
Scullibundo said:
Where the hell is Cameron going to make Avatar 2 if WETA is tied up with The Hobbit until 2014?
Nothing has been said to the contrary so far, so I assume the release dates for the Hobbit are still December 2012 and December 2013. Within shooting beginning in February, and pre-production having been underway for the past few years + script completed (well as far as it can be complete before shooting) Those dates still look entirely possible to me.

Rindain

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Where the hell is Cameron going to make Avatar 2 if WETA is tied up with The Hobbit until 2014?

The Hobbit films won't require nearly as much CGI work as an Avatar sequel, so they could probably do they both at once.

Dead

well not really...yet
Rindain said:
The Hobbit films won't require nearly as much CGI work as an Avatar sequel, so they could probably do they both at once.
With a combined 400-500 Mil budget, Id wager there will be more CG in both Hobbit films then there was in all 3 LOTR films combined.

Come on, this is Peter Jackson, after King Kong and The Lovely Bones, you really think the movies wont have as way more CG than the LOTR films?

apana

The thing I remember most about the the first lotr (fellowship), wasnt the CGI, but the art direction. The first time when Gandalf steps inside one of the hobbit houses I remember the wood, furniture, colors, fireplace, and so many other little details. I wanted to jump inside the screen and be in that house. Did anyone else notice these things? Also forgive my ignorance but Weta handles both the CGI and artwork correct? Or do they collaborate with another team?

Dead

well not really...yet
apana said:
The thing I remember most about the the first lotr (fellowship), wasnt the CGI, but the art direction. The first time when Gandalf steps inside one of the hobbit houses I remember the wood, furniture, colors, fireplace, and so many other little details. I wanted to jump inside the screen and be in that house. Did anyone else notice these things? Also forgive my ignorance but Weta handles both the CGI and artwork correct? Or do they collaborate with another team?
Weta has two branches:

Weta Workshop - Props, sets, costumes, artwork and designs, weapons, armors, etc.
Weta Digital - CGI

Everything in LOTR was done by both branches of WETA, The Hobbit will be the same. The only other recent movies that have been major Weta projects that I can think of at the moment (meaning both Workshop + Digital) have been King Kong and Avatar. Most of the other movies theyve worked on have been 1 branch or the other.

Salazar

Simon Pegg is also the kind of person who inveterately takes the piss.

Still, I think it's edging towards being a lock.

Jokergrin

I think this Martin Freeman guy is a bad choice. He is NOT leading man material. He simpered his way through Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy.

Peter Jackson's lost his mind if he picks him.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Well one could of said the same about Elijah wood, the thing is both Elijah and Freeman will have a huge ensemble cast behind them, granted they were will be the focal point but the films are much less reliant on Woods and Freeman than most are for them to work.

Jokergrin said:
I think this Martin Freeman guy is a bad choice. He is NOT leading man material. He simpered his way through Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy.

You clearly know better than PJ.

Why don't you direct The Hobbit?

Jokergrin

Mr Cola said:
Well one could of said the same about Elijah wood, the thing is both Elijah and Freeman will have a huge ensemble cast behind them, granted they were will be the focal point but the films are much less reliant on Woods and Freeman than most are for them to work.

Fair point, though I think Bilbo is more prominent in the Hobbit though, his 'ensemble' is 13 dwarves that hardly have any individual character and Gandalf, that's it.

Jokergrin said:
Just my opinion.

And yes, clearly PJ is always right the first time.

*cough* Stuart Townsend *cough*

He picked Viggo though.

I don't see the point you're making.
I mean seriously, you're basically the same person who said Heath Ledger was a terrible decision.

Jokergrin said:
Just my opinion.

And yes, clearly PJ is always right the first time.

*cough* Stuart Townsend *cough*

Congrats, you found one example of a miscast which was quickly fixed. I'm wary of The Hobbit too but jeez, the last thing I'm worried about is casting.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Jokergrin said:

Well Arthur Dent and Bilbo are similar characters, an average guy caught up in an adventure and in way over his head.

Jokergrin

87226248.png

Hato-kun

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/4254453/March-over-The-Hobbit

More than 1000 film technicians have marched through Wellington to voice concern over the future of the Hobbit films.

The actors' union, New Zealand Actors' Equity, have been in dispute with Peter Jackson's production company over the Hobbit films, leading to worry they will not be shot in New Zealand.

The Hobbit films, a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, are expected to cost about $US500 million (NZ$669m) to make, the most expensive ever, and will be filmed in 3-D. They will be directed by Sir Peter Jackson.

The technicians had tonight intended to protest outside a planned meeting by the Actors' Equity union, which was to discuss "new industry standards" as it seeks a collective agreement for actors. It has asked its members to boycott the two Hobbit films.

The head of Weta Worshop, Sir Richard Taylor, tonight met with film technicians in Wellington to discuss the future of the films.

Sir Richard said that when the actors cancelled the meeting, aborting the protest, the technicians instead chose to march through the streets of Wellington, ending up at the cenotaph near Parliament.

"Everyone gathered felt that they had done their part in assuring the New Zealand film industry that they care passionately about seeing the Hobbit made in New Zealand and that the industry as a whole should be left as it is for the successful and ongoing future of film making in New Zealand."

In an earlier statement, Sir Richard said he saw the New Zealand film industry "at some level of peril" and told TVNZ there was a mood of "great concern".

"Wellington film technicians want to be heard. They want to be represented in these very bizarre and strange events that are going on right now."

"The producers are doing all that they can to retain the film here in New Zealand.

"By the actions of a very limited few, a huge fraternity of film makers, technicians, and artists will be affected."

Although the shooting of the film was given the go ahead by Warner Brothers at the weekend, whether it will be filmed in New Zealand is still in doubt.

Actors' Equity is seeking a collective agreement and asking its members to boycott the film, although it has not received the full support of actors.

Sir Peter Jackson has refused to meet with the union.

Another meeting tonight in Wellington City. Things don't look good. In the next few days, we'll have an answer whether it'll be shot in New Zealand. If it's not? Goodbye New Zealand Film Industry and we've already lost around 200 million bucks worth of income.

Fuckin' actors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom