• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
All of this pre-production drama will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Peter Jackson is directing now and that's all I really care about.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Can't believe this is finally happening!

Still wish they weren't stretching it over two films, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyped.

MrCheez

ImNotLikeThem said:
Beorn better be Ron Perlman. Del Toro had said he always wanted to use him, and it seem's like a perfect part for him...

What would excite the interweb more: Ron Perlman as Beorn, or.... Ron Perlman as Smaug?? :eek:

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
aceface said:
Is the movie going to have all 12 dwarves, or are they cutting down for clarity purposes?
The press release makes it sound like there's going to be 8.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Oh boy this sounds like a mess that could really do some damage to NZ film industry. However, if NZ can't keep The Hobbit, I hope it moves to BC, Canada. Lots of talented artists here and the industry is on an uprise swing right now.

Wow, really excited that Freeman is Bilbo. It seemed so perfect that I was sure that it would go to somebody else. This is all shaping up quite nicely.

snaildog

Really happy with Martin Freeman too. Always thought his casting was mostly an internet rumour, because he's such a dream choice without being obvious, and Hitchhiker's Guide wasn't that critically successful. Awesome to see one of the original little 'Office' actors making it big.

Shows what a good choice he is that I haven't seen any backlash yet, which is incredible when Ian Holm did such a good job in LOTR.

Lucius86

Banned
Wes said:
Thumbs up with Freeman. Hope it gets filmed in the UK (so I can try to be an extra! :lol )

Do you look like a hobbit? Think the best I could do is be an ugly, less ethereal elf :lol

I'm going to go ahead and guess that David Tennant will be playing either Bard or Thranduil, if the rumors of him getting a part are true.

mjc

WyndhamPrice said:
I'm going to go ahead and guess that David Tennant will be playing either Bard or Thranduil, if the rumors of him getting a part are true.

I hope so, he deserves to get a big break. I like this casting for the hobbits and dwarves though.

BobDylan

I havnt been in this thread for a while and last time it checked it wasnt looking too good.
I am very pleased with the progress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoUN2AGxrnA&feature=player_embedded#!

Peter Jackson and his wife talk about the huge debate going over right now with the union.

jett

D-Member
Scullibundo said:

Peter Jackson and his wife talk about the huge debate going over right now with the union.

:lol When I clicked the link I was still expecting "old" Peter. I dunno if I'll ever get used to his slim look.

PJ says exactly what I said, there's no confidence right now in filming in NZ, who knows when these douchebags will feel like fucking shit up again.

edit: Goddamn fuck Helen Kelly right in the ass, refuses to admit any responsibility for the situation.

Sylvester McCoy has told fans he has been cast as Radagast the Brown in the upcoming film The Hobbit.

Rumours of the Seventh Doctor's involvement in the Peter Jackson film have been around for a while but this is the first conformation from the actor that he has been offered a role in the movie.

McCoy was speaking at the Armageddon Expo in Auckland yesterday, It is understood that McCoy had meetings in Wellington with Jackson and co-producer and co-writer Philippa Boyens last week, where he was offered the role, but that no contracts have yet been signed.

The Hobbit is slated for release in two parts, the first due in 2012. Production is currently delayed due to a dispute involving the New Zealand branch of Actors Equity.

Sylvester-McCoy.jpg

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2010/10/sylvester-mccoy-wins-role-in-hobbit.html

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
One can only imagine how awesome a PJ directed silmarillion would be.

Scullibundo said:

That's Philippa Boyens, not Fran Walsh.

MrCheez

Wow, was Radagast even in the Hobbit? Or is he going to be included in the various new "misadventures of Gandalf" stuff? (Wizard's council?)

Very interesting stuff. Cautiously optimistic as I may be, it is pretty dang exciting.

Scullibundo said:

That's not his wife ;p That's Phillipa Boyens.

This is his wife:
Peter_Jackson_Fran_Walsh_Philippa_Boyens.jpg

On the left..

Near impossible to find a recent pic, she's rarely photographed.

Aaron

MrCheez said:
Wow, was Radagast even in the Hobbit? Or is he going to be included in the various new "misadventures of Gandalf" stuff? (Wizard's council?)

Very interesting stuff. Cautiously optimistic as I may be, it is pretty dang exciting.
He's not in the Hobbit, but he was part of the business in confronting the Necromancer that's in those lore books.

Cheerilee

Scullibundo said:

Seeing the union leader saying that if Hobbit moves away from NZ it won't be her union's fault, it will be because the producers always wanted to move it somewhere cheaper than NZ and they were just waiting to get randomly targeted by a foreign union-terrorism blacklist attempting to force political change... and she claims that Warner executives told her that it was never the union's fault, that what they really want is bigger tax breaks, but unfortunately she didn't record it and there were no witnesses... what a joke. My faith that this could be resolved peacefully and Hobbit could stay in NZ just dropped heavily.

I think the Economic Development Minister has the right idea, in that the only thing the government can do at this point is clarify the "independent contractor" status of actors. The interviewer seemed to think this meant that the government was going to take away the actors' right to unionize, but they already don't have that right and the unions themselves know it. The only reason "New Zealand Actors Equity" can even refer to itself as a union is because they became an Australian union. The government can either reclassify actors as "employees" instead of "independent contractors", which would give them the right to unionize, or re-state the current situation, and tell actors in no uncertain terms that it will never happen, and then hope that's enough to get them to give up on trying recklessly.

NZNova

Prime Minister John Key announced tonight that The Hobbit movies - a $670m project - will be made in New Zealand.

Government ministers - including Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee and Arts, Culture and Heritage Minister Chris Finlayson - and Warner Bros executives have been locked in negotiations all day.

Mr Key made the announcement at a press conference this evening. Tomorrow morning he is due to leave for Vietnam for the East Asia Summit.

The Government will introduce legislation tomorrow to clarify the distinction between independent contractors and employees as it relates to the film industry only.

"This will guarantee the movies are made in New Zealand," Mr Key said.

Tax rebates will also be changed for Warner Bros, which will mean up to an extra US$7.5m per movie for Warner Bros, subject to the success of the movies.

HURRAH! :D

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10683486

Dead

well not really...yet
670 mil?

What the fuck?? Where is this money being allocated to? Thats ungodly expensive for two movies.

NZNova

Dead said:
670 mil?

What the fuck?? Where is this money being allocated to? Thats ungodly expensive for two movies.

That's 500 million USD converted to NZ dollars at today's exchange rate. 250 mil per movie. Considering the business LOTR did (and continues to do), hardly surprising.

temp

posting on contract only
Dead said:
670 mil?

It's a New Zealand site so it's probably in New Zealand money?

Monocle

I couldn't be happier that these films are finally on the right track. Peter Jackson at the helm, Howard Shore composing the score (is this confirmed?), an excellent cast and New Zealand locked in as the filming location. Right on.

Decado

NZNova said:
That's 500 million USD converted to NZ dollars at today's exchange rate. 250 mil per movie. Considering the business LOTR did (and continues to do), hardly surprising.
Considering the LotR trilogy budget, it is shocking. Going from super efficient to over-bloated. For what reason is that much money needed? AFAIK, there isn't nearly as much action or material to cover in The Hobbit and inflation can only account for so much...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom